HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

[ANA/TB] Ducks Acquire Goaltender Ellis from Tampa Bay for McElhinney

Old
02-24-2011, 05:01 PM
Loffen
Legend

vCash: 500
Crap for Garbage.

Very nice!

Loffen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 05:34 PM
State of Hockey

Anaheim needed this move badly. They got it done before any more damage occurs.

State of Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 05:41 PM
Jesus Teemu

He'll give the Ducks a shot to win the game in all likelihood; something McRebound wasn't even remotely close to accomplishing.

Jesus Teemu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 08:36 PM
Allen Degenerate
Embrace the Hate

vCash: 675
Quote:
Originally Posted by BozakToKessel View Post
#danellisproblems 2.0, He'll probably ***** about having to move and how much it cost him.
fakedanellis Don't be silly, people, I don't need help packing my stuff. In fact I'm just abandoning everything here in Tampa Bay. I'll get new stuff!
about 10 hours ago

Allen Degenerate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 08:38 PM
Martyros

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAZZIE King View Post
He makes Cloutier look like a Vezina winner...
Let's not go that far.

Martyros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 10:22 PM
TBLHoser

No sense paying full price for 2 bad backups. Smitty wasn't any worse or better than Ellis so he comes back and McElhinney goes down. Essentially just unloading salary....

TBLHoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 01:01 AM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

Dan Ellis is best with a good D in front of him. That said, not sure why the Ducks made this deal for Ellis given that and not someone else.

Old
02-25-2011, 04:53 AM
Rivet52
Sabres & Blackhawks

Send a message via AIM to Rivet52
Good trade for both teams.

The Ducks upgrade at backup which will be important if Hiller can't play for a long time. Ellis could do better in Anaheim than he did in Tampa Bay. When all's said and done though, I think Emery will get more starts.

The Lightning don't have Ellis for next year now. They have cap space to play with and can completely re-do their goaltending this summer if they want to.

Rivet52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 05:30 AM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivet52 View Post
Good trade for both teams.

The Ducks upgrade at backup which will be important if Hiller can't play for a long time. Ellis could do better in Anaheim than he did in Tampa Bay. When all's said and done though, I think Emery will get more starts.

The Lightning don't have Ellis for next year now. They have cap space to play with and can completely re-do their goaltending this summer if they want to.
But I'm not really sure how this helps us out since Roloson is also a FA after this season. I understand the idea but considering that Ellis had really been playing well lately, question the timing...

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 05:48 AM
Rivet52
Sabres & Blackhawks

Send a message via AIM to Rivet52
Quote:
Originally Posted by donGjohnson View Post
But I'm not really sure how this helps us out since Roloson is also a FA after this season. I understand the idea but considering that Ellis had really been playing well lately, question the timing...
Roloson is 41 and could likely want to stay in Tampa Bay for the rest of his career and not go anywhere else. If the team wants him to stay and pays him enough, there's no reason to rule out re-signing him to a reasonable contract if they feel he can still be the starter next year. Then they can go out and find a better backup than Ellis was.

Or they could just sign a starter to a nice contract and solidify their goaltending for the future. They'll have the money to throw at someone like Vokoun if they want to.

With Ellis, he's signed for next year. He wasn't working out and there's no reason to believe he would be any better next year. Now that he's gone, you have a few options. Roloson, Smith, and McElhinney are all UFAs in the summer. Yzerman can completely revamp the goaltending this summer if he wants. Or he can see about re-signing Roloson and take another shot at a UFA backup and hope that guy is better than Ellis was.

Rivet52 is offline   Reply With Quote