HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Phillips to Pittsburgh

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-25-2011, 12:37 AM
  #1
66-29-33
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 30,064
vCash: 500
Phillips to Pittsburgh

Assuming he waives his NTC to come to Pittsburgh...would say a 2nd+Niskanen be good? if not let's hear some offers in here.

Orpik - Letang
Martin - Michalek
Phillips - Engelland

Fleury
Johnson


66-29-33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 12:38 AM
  #2
JeffMangum
#meatisbeat
 
JeffMangum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Listening to music
Country: United States
Posts: 56,802
vCash: 500
Already trying to get rid of Niskanen I see.

Not a terrible offer...but I think they'd rather get a guy like Veillux back.

__________________

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 12:42 AM
  #3
66-29-33
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 30,064
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Mastrosimone View Post
Already trying to get rid of Niskanen I see.

Not a terrible offer...but I think they'd rather get a guy like Veillux back.
My original offer was a 1st+Niskanen but Pens fans seem to wanna keep the 1st. This is only if Crosby comes back. I don't mind Niskanen but i'm looking ahead to July 1st. Pens need money for a winger for Crosby next season so getting rid of his 1.5 helps. Niskanen is young and is a low risk+high reward player, perhaps he will get it all together but gettin a chance to load up your D like this i'd risk trading him away for a chance at glory, or atleast as deep as we can get.

66-29-33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 12:46 AM
  #4
Aud Won*
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Western Pennsylvania
Country: United States
Posts: 2,446
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Mastrosimone View Post
Already trying to get rid of Niskanen I see.

Not a terrible offer...but I think they'd rather get a guy like Veillux back.
The reason Niskanen would be important in the deal is because of salary. We couldn't take on Philips salary plus add Sid's salary (if he comes back) without shedding some payroll.

Aud Won* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 12:48 AM
  #5
Aud Won*
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Western Pennsylvania
Country: United States
Posts: 2,446
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66-29-33 View Post
My original offer was a 1st+Niskanen but Pens fans seem to wanna keep the 1st. This is only if Crosby comes back. I don't mind Niskanen but i'm looking ahead to July 1st. Pens need money for a winger for Crosby next season so getting rid of his 1.5 helps. Niskanen is young and is a low risk+high reward player, perhaps he will get it all together but gettin a chance to load up your D like this i'd risk trading him away for a chance at glory, or atleast as deep as we can get.
We got Neal and Kunitz, we don't necessarily need another winger although it would be nice. And that additional winger could always go to Malkin instead of Sid.

Aud Won* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 12:50 AM
  #6
Sens Rule
Registered User
 
Sens Rule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,432
vCash: 500
Ottawa does not want Niskanen no matter what, so no.

Sens Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 12:54 AM
  #7
eXile59
Shirts on.
 
eXile59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: PA
Posts: 16,278
vCash: 500
Pens already have their money invested in defense so he would be a rental. No use in wasting picks and prospects if there is no chance in re-signing.

eXile59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 12:58 AM
  #8
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Buff Drinklots
 
Big McLargehuge's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Los Angeles
Country: Germany
Posts: 54,466
vCash: 500
The way I see it is that Shero made his move for Neal because he believed in our depth at defense...trading Goligoski for a winger of equal value doesn't make much sense if it means you have to give up an asset you were unwilling to give up for that winger prior, especially not for a rental. Philips would be a rental in Pittsburgh, and this isn't the year that I'd go 'all in', so to say, especially with how few picks we have right now. We have six guys signed for the through 2012 right now on defense...I wouldn't be surprised if Shero makes a deal for an improvement on the bottom line, but Philips would be overshooting our need.

Orpik will be back before the playoffs, lets not go crazy here. Just because we don't have a top 1-2 depth at the position doesn't mean we overnight became lousy because we traded our #5 guy.

Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 12:59 AM
  #9
66-29-33
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 30,064
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eXile59 View Post
Pens already have their money invested in defense so he would be a rental. No use in wasting picks and prospects if there is no chance in re-signing.
Unless it's a conditional 7th rounder for Kovalev where there is slim to no risk of a guy drafted that round by that team with that pick becoming a good solid player or the next Zetterberg/Datsyuk(6th round).

66-29-33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 12:59 AM
  #10
danishh
Dat Stache
 
danishh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: mtl/ott/somewhere
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,657
vCash: 500
no to niskanen and his extra year.

just throw back a decent prospect with waiver exemption next year or a cheap expiring contract. We just need a cheap body.

danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 01:02 AM
  #11
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Buff Drinklots
 
Big McLargehuge's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Los Angeles
Country: Germany
Posts: 54,466
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66-29-33 View Post
Unless it's a conditional 7th rounder for Kovalev where there is slim to no risk of a guy drafted that round by that team with that pick becoming a good solid player or the next Zetterberg/Datsyuk(6th round).
Which is nice and good...except no one else is going to come at that price. Kovalev had an NTC and a contract that few teams in the league could stomach...we can't take Philips' contract without trading equal money back to Ottawa, which is probably the last thing on their mind right now.


Its a lousy fit all around, no matter how much the radio personalities may want to dream about it. As it is we're going to need to send basically everyone extra on our roster down to get Sid back, if he comes back...adding Philips means no Sid...not unless we trade Kunitz, which seems rather counter-productive to me.

Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 01:05 AM
  #12
66-29-33
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 30,064
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
Which is nice and good...except no one else is going to come at that price. Kovalev had an NTC and a contract that few teams in the league could stomach...we can't take Philips' contract without trading equal money back to Ottawa, which is probably the last thing on their mind right now.


Its a lousy fit all around, no matter how much the radio personalities may want to dream about it. As it is we're going to need to send basically everyone extra on our roster down to get Sid back, if he comes back...adding Philips means no Sid...not unless we trade Kunitz, which seems rather counter-productive to me.
I'm just dreaming. BTW Niskanen+LTIR Orpik (when elgible(sp)) means Crosby can come back, or is my math wrong? Orpik comes back for game 1 of the playoffs.

66-29-33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 01:15 AM
  #13
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä
 
Captain Hook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 13,538
vCash: 500
Phillips will bring more in return than the Pens will offer, imo.

I really don't see Shero trading a 1st or 2nd for anybody. He'll probably give a late pick or mediocre prospect to add another veteran scoring forward before the deadline.

Captain Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 01:44 AM
  #14
Aud Won*
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Western Pennsylvania
Country: United States
Posts: 2,446
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
Phillips will bring more in return than the Pens will offer, imo.

I really don't see Shero trading a 1st or 2nd for anybody. He'll probably give a late pick or mediocre prospect to add another veteran scoring forward before the deadline.
Higgins?

Aud Won* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 01:48 AM
  #15
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä
 
Captain Hook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 13,538
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aud Won View Post
Higgins?
We think alike... or you just read my posts on the Pens board.

Seriously, I think he's a good fit, but it's Florida's call. He probably isn't worth much in trade and they don't have to move him since he's affordable. I'm sure they could even re-sign him at an affordable rate if they wanted to. Maybe they don't want to though and we can snatch him up for cheap.

Captain Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 02:13 AM
  #16
Aud Won*
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Western Pennsylvania
Country: United States
Posts: 2,446
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
We think alike... or you just read my posts on the Pens board.

Seriously, I think he's a good fit, but it's Florida's call. He probably isn't worth much in trade and they don't have to move him since he's affordable. I'm sure they could even re-sign him at an affordable rate if they wanted to. Maybe they don't want to though and we can snatch him up for cheap.
I think it was you (not sure) who agreed with me when I said that we likely would get Kovalev or Higgins a couple days ago. So yea I thought that was the direction you were leaning toward.

Aud Won* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 03:25 AM
  #17
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä
 
Captain Hook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 13,538
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aud Won View Post
I think it was you (not sure) who agreed with me when I said that we likely would get Kovalev or Higgins a couple days ago. So yea I thought that was the direction you were leaning toward.
Yeah, that was me that agreed with you about Kovy and Higgins. We got Kovy yesterday. One down, one to go. Well, maybe anyway. You never know what Shero's thinking.

Captain Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 04:27 AM
  #18
Aud Won*
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Western Pennsylvania
Country: United States
Posts: 2,446
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
Yeah, that was me that agreed with you about Kovy and Higgins. We got Kovy yesterday. One down, one to go. Well, maybe anyway. You never know what Shero's thinking.
You know what's crazy? As of right now our LW position is the deepest position on the team except goal tending. Neal, Kunitz (should be back soon) Cooke and Rupp. That's not bad. How about Bergfors to help on the right side?

Aud Won* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 06:09 AM
  #19
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä
 
Captain Hook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 13,538
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aud Won View Post
You know what's crazy? As of right now our LW position is the deepest position on the team except goal tending. Neal, Kunitz (should be back soon) Cooke and Rupp. That's not bad. How about Bergfors to help on the right side?
You and me both would love to get Bergfors, but Atlanta will obviously want something good for him. Not sure Shero will part with much or if we even have anything that Duds would be interested in.

Captain Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 06:52 AM
  #20
OgieO
Registered User
 
OgieO's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,155
vCash: 500
I think the value is fine, I just don't think there's a fit with Niskanen. We already have a log jam of right shooting dmen next season. I suppose it might work if we had deals to move Campoli (who I'd prefer to keep unless it's a very nice offer) and Kuba (who the hell would want him??).

OgieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:40 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.