HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

So What Now? Panic? or Patience?

Old
02-24-2011, 09:40 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
So What Now? Panic? or Patience?

ok, so this sucks, but what now?

we have done this before this year, and pulled out of it.

but we will soon be looking up at the 8th spot.

What does(or should) Poile do in the next 90 hours?

Get desperate and trade multiple picks/prospects for immediate help to try to make it in this year?

or stick to the plan and hope we counter this losing streak with another win streak?

with the big increase in attendance that has happened so far, and after being so high in the standings for so long, would missing the playoffs be a deadly buzzkill that would negate all this progress?

Or does it make no sense to be aggressive since at best we are a 6-8 seed/1st round underdog anyway?

discuss

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 09:46 PM
don28

vCash: 500
If this team doesn't start scoring goals, they won't make the playoffs. In a perfect world, Poile finds a way to get Dustin Penner or Stephen Weiss without mortgaging the future. How likely that is to happen, of course, is subject to debate.

don28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 10:11 PM
roseyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
ok, so this sucks, but what now?

we have done this before this year, and pulled out of it.

but we will soon be looking up at the 8th spot.

What does(or should) Poile do in the next 90 hours?

Get desperate and trade multiple picks/prospects for immediate help to try to make it in this year?

or stick to the plan and hope we counter this losing streak with another win streak?

with the big increase in attendance that has happened so far, and after being so high in the standings for so long, would missing the playoffs be a deadly buzzkill that would negate all this progress?

Or does it make no sense to be aggressive since at best we are a 6-8 seed/1st round underdog anyway?

discuss
We are 9th right now out of the playoffs

roseyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 10:11 PM
Jonesey
KCCO

Panic!!!!!!!!

No, really... Panic!!!!!

Jonesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 10:14 PM
zellthemedic

I don't know about you guys, but even if we don't make it to the playoffs, I'm still going to be a huge Preds fan.

So for me, patience.

zellthemedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 10:16 PM
Fo Shea Shea

Think it's time to start tapping the panic button.....

Fo Shea Shea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 10:30 PM
predfan24

As a fan? It's time to begin the beginning stage of panic yes.

If I'm Poile? No. I'm not saying the give up on the season but don't sell the farm for a rental. One player is not going to make a huge difference unless we were getting someone like Brad Richards.

The team we have now is good enough we should be in the playoffs. If we make it this year it's going to be because of the exact guys we have in there right now playing better. Adding someone like Penner or Hemsky at a high price isn't going to transform this team.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 10:30 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

FWIW I agree. I want Poile to trade for at least two or three players who can come in and play right now.

we need some new blood to shake things up.

Old
02-24-2011, 10:34 PM
JohniusMaximus
Digging the Sarchasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan24 View Post
As a fan? It's time to begin the beginning stage of panic yes.

If I'm Poile? No. I'm not saying the give up on the season but don't sell the farm for a rental. One player is not going to make a huge difference unless we were getting someone like Brad Richards.

The team we have now is good enough we should be in the playoffs. If we make it this year it's going to be because of the exact guys we have in there right now playing better. Adding someone like Penner or Hemsky at a high price isn't going to transform this team.
This sounds like a nice middle ground that I'll go with for now. Fan panic but not to the point of stupidity. I'm in.

JohniusMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 10:43 PM
dulzhok

Got to work the phones and see if there's a good deal to be made-- but I have a little faith in Poile's ability to get creative in the trading department.

We also only have a couple of tradable assets. Now that Poile's first rd pick is gone (the only thing he seems comfortable trading), I'm not expecting much.

AK might be a possibility, but I sure hope we don't overpay for him-- I just don't have a good feeling about that. I would do it at the right price (out of desperation), but would be very hesitant to give up one of the few significant non-roster assets we have.

Right now, our faith has to be in Trotz. Trotz always seems to pull us out of a hole- can he do it again?

In terms of getting out of the first rd? Well, that's a whole other story....

Last edited by dulzhok: 02-24-2011 at 10:49 PM.
dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 11:01 PM
roseyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
Got to work the phones and see if there's a good deal to be made-- but I have a little faith in Poile's ability to get creative in the trading department.

We also only have a couple of tradable assets. Now that Poile's first rd pick is gone (the only thing he seems comfortable trading), I'm not expecting much.

AK might be a possibility, but I sure hope we don't overpay for him-- I just don't have a good feeling about that. I would do it at the right price (out of desperation), but would be very hesitant to give up one of the few significant non-roster assets we have.

Right now, our faith has to be in Trotz. Trotz always seems to pull us out of a hole- can he do it again?

In terms of getting out of the first rd? Well, that's a whole other story....
This was supposed to be when the schedule was to be in our favor how quickly that dissapated. The last 7 games at home it's 3 wins and 4 losses

roseyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 11:02 PM
ZombPred
ALLeyeDOizWHEN!

Get help ASAP! We have so many prospects at D that can easily fill some of our starters spots. Make a freaking trade!

ZombPred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 11:12 PM
token grinder

if we take 3 points out of the weekend, patience.

if not, well, sell sully and dumont.

actually, sell them anyway

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 11:14 PM
gopreds19
Formerly gobears19

It's over guys. Let's face it. Trotz words now fall on deaf ears, and his inability to develop chemistry by icing competitive lines makes us look like a bunch of midgets. We have no heart, no toughness. Klein gets slewfooted and is slow to get up, and anyone do anything?????? Nope. Just a bunch of guys watching the trainer come out.

Poile made stupid moves giving Dumont and Sully NTC's, his gamble failed with Lombardi, and we'll see on Fisher, but right now, he has no chemistry with the Euros.

It's been a fun ride this year, but I've got a feeling the remaining games are going to be hell. We're just in such bad shape, worse than when we had losing streaks before.

gopreds19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 12:29 AM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

I'm just hanging on for the ride. Win or Lose.

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 06:27 AM
jlsg

What's different now then for most of the year? You can't say that at the start of the year, or at least after the first couple of weeks that this isn't how the season would go. We have a recipe for inconsistent play, aging vets, up and coming stars and a bunch of 4th line guys. Our d has been great all year. Few bumps here and there but it's a long season, that's expected. I'll match our d corp (including goalies) up against any in the league.
The injuries this year have kept us from keeping lines together for more then a few games at a time. The lines we do field are mismatched. Not much anyone can d about that. For all the questioning about the Trotz system, what system could keep up with that. FWIW Trotz will tell you his system is based on the players he has in camp. This year it was pretty apparent scoring was still going to be a premium so he has a defensive system. Doesn't have much choice based on who's on the ice. No way we outscore teams, we have to keep them off the board. How many tacos did everyone eat when PK was here? Not much defense then but we were the best team in the NHL for a while. Not the same system we have today. Not even close. That was all about speed and transition.
Calling out player's heart is so wrong. You don't get to this level without playing hard every night. Some night that's not good enough, but it certainly doesn't mean they're not trying. If you ever get a chance to know these guys you'd see that. Rarely does a coach really lose a locker room. Fans and the press talk about it, but that's just not reality.
We've shown we can beat any team on any given night. If you wanted to panic it should have been in Oct when Lombardi went down. Now all we can do is hang on.

jlsg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 06:49 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

I guess my question wasn't so much why are we where we are, but does the fact that we have overachieved(and we really have for all the reasons jlsg points out) make it imperativethat we at least go ahead and make the playoffs? The dramatic increase in attendance is what this franchise has been waiting on for years. My question is if we crash and burn and end up 11th or 12th does that kill a lot of that momentum?

Old
02-25-2011, 06:56 AM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
I guess my question wasn't so much why are we where we are, but does the fact that we have overachieved(and we really have for all the reasons jlsg points out) make it imperativethat we at least go ahead and make the playoffs? The dramatic increase in attendance is what this franchise has been waiting on for years. My question is if we crash and burn and end up 11th or 12th does that kill a lot of that momentum?
That's a legitimate concern. It's great how our attendance is doing this year, but I wonder how many will stick around if we miss the playoffs.

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 07:24 AM
glenngineer

V82, I agree we need to make some moves. My question is, why certain moves haven't already been made.

1. Why have we been playing Franson over Blum exactly? Last nights game proved that in over 100 games in the NHL Franson still sucks mightily and in Blum's second game he looked like a seasoned vet. Anyone remember a young defenseman coming in to play Trotz's system and looking so at ease out there? He pinched a bunch but always did it in the right situation. He played a little physical which is more than Franson ever does and he's 40-50 pounds lighter. He skates well and is positionally sound. He made some great takeaways with positioning last night. Everything about his game made me go, dang, this kid is good and why haven't we seen him before this week. All the talk of he still wasn't ready is BS IMO. He is ready and he was our third best defenseman, if not our top defenseman on the ice last night.

2. Trade Franson and get some help up front, not that we're going to get a lot for him but package him with some other "talent" that we have and hope other teams overvalue him.

3. Send SOB to Trotz's office and get him playing a simple game again. When he does that he's effective but he tries to be cute he makes poor decisions with the puck.

4. Poile and the owners need to go to Trotz's office after he's done with SOB and tell him to get his head out of his proverbial arse. No offense but when you're down 2-0 with 6:30 to go in the game you don't send out Smithson's line. We had one line generating chances last night, Fisher's line. After a while it stopped because Chicago noticed this and was able to shut them down. No one else could do anything of any worth but every so often. At this point, Trotz either needs to adjust his rotation and go with different match ups OR heaven forbid, switch his lines around. When he finally did, late in the third, we started generating chances again. Amazing but as always with Trotz, a little too late.

5. As someone said earlier and I've been adamant about, stick up for your teammates. Klein gets slewfooted and is left to lay there with no retribution on our part. Suter gets laid out by Doan a few nights ago and nothing. If you're a team, stand up for one another. Notice how Hornqvist hasn't been getting into his little trysts in front of the net lately? He hasn't been there. Why? Probably because he's tired of getting face washed and no one backing his play.

6. Did I mention trade Franson?

7. Since Blum is obviously ready, why not bring up Josi as well. Here's the thinking. People said Blum wasn't ready, he is. They also say Josi isn't ready. Josi has been tearing it up in Milwaukee and if I'm not mistaken, they were paired together. Hmmmmm, pair them together at this level and have at it. Josi has been said to be the best defenseman to come through Milwaukee, ever. Weber and Suter were there and to draw that comparison at this stage says a lot about his game. Even if we don't bring up Josi, sit Franson, keep playing Blum with Klein, put Sulzer back in the lineup with SOB and go from there. Or pair Blum with SOB and Klein with Sulzer or however you want to do it but make sure Blum is the one getting the most minutes out of any of those 4.

8. I had something else to add but it escaped me so I'm done for now.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 07:48 AM
Stylizer1
BoomBapOriginalRap

It's the curse of Mr. Underwood.

Stylizer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 08:04 AM
predfan98

i don't understand the not standing up for your teammates.

I get that injuries have decimated us, I get that we don't take a lot of penalties, I get that Trotz is doing the best he has.

I guess as a fan, I'd feel better about the losing( no , not really) if Rinne wasn't having shots taken at him with no retaliation, etc.............all of the above examples.

Frankly, I was ready for Weber to take someone on and go sit in the bad boy's box for 5.................just to show the team they need to have each others back.

predfan98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 08:21 AM
PredsChik

I actually would like it if I felt panic but I was just pissed when I left last night. May have been the waived off goal, almost like, let's kick them while they're down type of thing. It may have been nobody sticking up for each other, if they don't care, why should I? Or it may have been the 60+ minutes of puckbunny chatter that I had to endure behind me. Thinking a player is attractive is one thing, talking about meeting one in a bar and ****ing them is another.

Last night just left me sour on the whole team.

I am hopeful that the team can put something together in Dallas and then roll into redemption on Sunday against the BJ's.

PredsChik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 08:30 AM
jlsg

Well glenn I agree 100% with 1 and 2. I wasn't able to go to the game last night but was able to watch a little and Blum has impressed me. PLays bigger then he is and has a natural instinct about where to be and what to do. Magnitude better defensively then Franson.

The problem with Mr O'Brien is Franson. First period he's stuck with a 2x1 because Franson is gliding around center ice. He's been pretty good about not beating Franson with his stick. I'd love to see what SOB could do with a responsible partner (like Blum).

Only thing I can say about the lines is you have to be able to roll 3 lines. You can shorten the bench up a little but if you keep double shifting lines you'll get bit. Guys got to get a breather now and again.

jlsg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 09:22 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Here's what I'd like to see.

Line 2.
Sk-Legwand-Erat
Line 2.
Wilson-Fisher-Hornqvist
Line 3.
Ward-Spaling-Smithson
Line4
Dumont/Tootoo/Sullivan really who cares I don't want them playing more than 7 minutes.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 09:52 AM
deanwormer

All I know is I'm glad I didn't have power last night when I got home and couldn't write what I was feeling..... this AM - not happier, but better perspective, I hope.....

What do we do? We don't panic. We've been in this place all year, a few bounces aren't going our way, but we'll be competitive to the end. But, I think we can improve, just don't need to do the panicked/foolish thing. So, Mr. Poile:

1) If Blum plays this weekend like he has these 2 games, Mr. Franson or Mr. Klein best be sent somewhere for a forward or a center - and I don't want a 2way defensibly responsible guy, I want someone who can put the puck in the net.
2) If we don't get a center, tell Mr. Trotz to settle on Wilson's role and put him in it. Put him with skill guys - I like him with Horny and Leggy, but he can play a C with Horny and someone - that's fine. Time to give Mr. Wilson some room to help offensively and not punish him defensively - he's learned what he's gonna' this year, he hustles - we need what he can bring and we need to live with "kid goofs" for the good of the team results and his development.
3) If Wilson isn't gonna' center a line then get Mueller and Halischuck back up here and put JP with them. Don't care if that means Sully has to sit. Don't care if that means Toots has to sit. Don't care if we have to waive Wade. Do it after we can expand. But we need something better than Smitty and Nick centering 4th liners and one out-of-place skill guy.

deanwormer is offline   Reply With Quote