HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Don't shoot me, but...

Old
02-24-2011, 10:48 PM
Colt.45Orr

vCash: 500
Don't shoot me, but...

why are so many wingers developing a scoring touch once they leave LA?

Seems coach related, no?

Colt.45Orr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 10:50 PM
Shellz

Its probably a number of things.

Shellz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 10:52 PM
DAkings20
Kings can't score

vCash: 567
Becasue they hate LA

DAkings20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 11:05 PM
redcard

Confirmation bias....you only notice the former Kings who have improved since being traded, but you don't notice the countless players who have struggled or fail to live up to potential after departing (if you had told me 3 years ago that Moulson would be a repeat 30 goal scorer and O'Sullivan would be playing in the Minors right now I would have never believed you).

redcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 11:05 PM
Tonellisghost
WE ARE THE KINGS!!!!

Every team has them, we just seem to be giving up too soon on a few of the more talented ones.

Really though, if you look through our boards you will find not only a lifetimes worth of pages debating this very subject but also a few interesting and definitive well reasoned posts on the matter.

That is to say that in my opinion you will.

In my opinion it might or might not even have been alleged that it could be possible that one player who is on a different team might possibly have felt that things could have gone better if they had a better understanding of what was expected of them or something like that. Again allegedly and so as not to say anything over reaching they are not on the kings as of today to the best of my knowledge and again this is only my opinion and I am not trying to say that the kings did anything wrong at all. I am only saying what I started off saying and that is that in my experience and opinion all teams have situations where they allow young players to leave their systems without receiving any compensation for them and some of them go on to have NHL careers with other teams.

Davis was drafted by a different NHL team then the one he plays on for example.

Not many go on to become 30 goal scoring studs but it can and has happened.

Lets just hope it doesn't happen again anytime soon.

Tonellisghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 11:38 PM
TonySCV
One More Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
In my opinion it might or might not even have been alleged that it could be possible that one player who is on a different team might possibly have felt that things could have gone better if they had a better understanding of what was expected of them or something like that. Again allegedly and so as not to say anything over reaching they are not on the kings as of today to the best of my knowledge and again this is only my opinion and I am not trying to say that the kings did anything wrong at all. I am only saying what I started off saying and that is that in my experience and opinion all teams have situations where they allow young players to leave their systems without receiving any compensation for them and some of them go on to have NHL careers with other teams.
I've read this three times and I still have no idea what the hell you're saying.

The Los Angeles Kings - 2012 Stanley Cup Champions
TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 11:48 PM
redcard

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
I've read this three times and I still have no idea what the hell you're saying.
He's advocating tax cuts for the lower and working classes coupled with a reduction in the state welfare spending in an attempt to improve self-reliance of struggling families. I think.

Old
02-24-2011, 11:57 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

All three have one thing in common, the eastern conference.

KopitarFAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 12:33 AM
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

Quote:
... I'm JT Dutch, and I approve this message.

JT Dutch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 12:39 AM
KingLB

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcard View Post
He's advocating tax cuts for the lower and working classes coupled with a reduction in the state welfare spending in an attempt to improve self-reliance of struggling families. I think.
Damn a Canadian with that line of thinking....hmm I approve!

Wonder what his feelings are on Seal Clubbing....

As for the OP some might say its great talent evaluation and poor implementation.

KingLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 12:42 AM
Butch 19
King me

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcard View Post
Confirmation bias....you only notice the former Kings who have improved since being traded, but you don't notice the countless players who have struggled or fail to live up to potential after departing (if you had told me 3 years ago that Moulson would be a repeat 30 goal scorer and O'Sullivan would be playing in the Minors right now I would have never believed you).
Not quite... I'm still waiting for that young, discarded UFA from some other team to sign in L.A. and put up 25 or 30 goals.

Too much to ask?

Probably.

Butch 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 12:48 AM
AKAY47
Philly West Fan

Quote:
Every team has them, we just seem to be giving up too soon on a few of the more talented ones.

Really though, if you look through our boards you will find not only a lifetimes worth of pages debating this very subject but also a few interesting and definitive well reasoned posts on the matter.

What's your opinion on this topic again?

AKAY47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 01:19 AM
Quattro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
LMAO

Quattro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 01:29 AM
kingsfan28
Its All About Sv Pct

Quote:

Davis was drafted by a different NHL team then the one he plays on for example.

Not many go on to become 30 goal scoring studs but it can and has happened.

Lets just hope it doesn't happen again anytime soon.
Drunk posting?

kingsfan28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 01:36 AM
zeppelin97

It doesn't matter why. Kings don't need scoring wingers. They need more grit/toughness to out tough and out grit their opponents.

zeppelin97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 01:57 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Might be viewed by those players as their last chance to make it, might serve as a good kick in the butt to inspire them to perform better.

Moulson was drafted by Pittsburgh, went unsigned, was Kings property, had a brief look and they lost him as a Group VI Free Agent. At that time, the Kings were a team that was trying to compete for a playoff spot and it would be viewed as too risky of a move for them to take a chance on a Moulson to fill their need for a top six forward. He had less pressure and competition on Long Island and it has clearly worked out very well for him.

Purcell just simply couldn't click in LA. He was too slow, too soft, lost the puck often, just did not look like he was ready at all to be a top six forward when the Kings used him in that role. The other problem with Purcell here is that they were depending on him to be a creative playmaker, he got a look on a line with Kopitar and Brown and didn't do much there, also saw some time on the second scoring line. With TB, Purcell is 10th on the team in ice time, and what benefits his game is that he is given less responsibility on the defensive end, something this coaching staff strongly emphasizes.

With Boyle, skating, physical play and his competitiveness were all brought into question with him. He was big and raw and at times looked like he could solidify himself as a third line center, however, he was also prone to many mental lapses and mistakes and his skating appeared to hinder him. He struggled last season in NY and finally figured he had to train harder than ever this past offseason to improve his skating, and he's done just that. Tortorella didn't have much confidence in Boyle prior to the start of this season, but to Boyle's credit, he worked hard to earn a regular spot on NY's roster.

While I do think the Kings abruptly gave up on some of these players, the team had to move on as there are a lot of players under contract or other prospects coming up that needed the ice time in Manchester.

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 03:19 AM
redcard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch 19 View Post
Not quite... I'm still waiting for that young, discarded UFA from some other team to sign in L.A. and put up 25 or 30 goals.

Too much to ask?

Probably.
Well, technically Moulson was a young, discarded UFA when the Kings signed him after Pittsburgh decided not to waste an NPC on him.

Old
02-25-2011, 08:57 AM
yankeeking

torts mentioned it in a interview a week or two ago that they had no idea what they would have with boyle or IF he would even make the team, i'm sure boyle knew that and he took figure skating lessons last summer and is better at that part of his game than he ever was with us. now my uestion is why the hell didn't he do that during his 5-6 years with our club......sense of entitlement or bad coaching

yankeeking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 09:04 AM
wabwat

Send a message via AIM to wabwat
not for noting but, a big chomp of humble pie can go a long way as well... we're all familiar with the whole change of scenery idea, and sometimes a trade is necessary for some players to re-evaluate things.

wabwat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 09:55 AM
Butch 19
King me

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeeking View Post
torts mentioned it in a interview a week or two ago that they had no idea what they would have with boyle or IF he would even make the team, i'm sure boyle knew that and he took figure skating lessons last summer and is better at that part of his game than he ever was with us. now my question is why the hell didn't he do that during his 5-6 years with our club......sense of entitlement or bad coaching
Yes, that IS the question. Why couldn't he get motivated here? (seriously!?!)

He was already on his 2nd team - he could very well be out of hockey. But a lower team doesn't take much risk by signing him, so, it worked out well for the NYI. ****!

Butch 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 10:05 AM
JBernierFan
Drink up!

Quote:
Yes, that IS the question. Why couldn't he get motivated here? (seriously!?!)

He was already on his 2nd team - he could very well be out of hockey. But a lower team doesn't take much risk by signing him, so, it worked out well for the NYI. ****!
Boyle is on the Rangers. Anyway, I do agree with you on your other point. In the summer, he realized that this might be his last chance to really prove himself and not be a career AHL call up guy. He took skating lessens and focused in the off season. As someone else mentioned, Torts said that they pretty much had Boyle's name written in ink in the minors at the start of the season and they proved him wrong. Amazing what a little fears does to some people. You have to remember, Boyle is what, 26 years old? It's not like the Kings gave up on him at 22 and he went straight to the NHL and dominated. He wasn't even the same player last year as he is today.

Moulson also isn't a spring chicken. As someone else mentioned, he was a draft pick of the Pens and they gave up on him even before the Kings did. Maybe they should have hung on to him, but he was a UFA and we had other guys to take his spot. I think he's just a PERFECT fit for the Islanders system, players and the whole situation basically. He's thriving playing with that young team and is actually one of their older forwards. To be honest, if they Kings would have re-signed him, I believe he wouldn't be the player he is today. Some guys just need to exact/perfect situation to be successful.

As far as Purcell, we all knew he was talented, but he didn't work hard. He's playing with very good players on the Lightning. Again, I think if he were still here, he would be the same Purcell he was for us before, spending half his time in the press box. Some people need to be a cast off to wake up and learn to be a pro.

JBernierFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 10:23 AM
null33

Quote:

Too much to ask?

Probably.
Justin Williams kinda sorta fits that.

null33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 10:26 AM
Julius Caesar Milan
Lord of the Shih Tzu

vCash: 863
No one else noticed the irony of "Don't shoot me" and the user name of "Colt.45Orr"

Julius Caesar Milan is offline   Reply With Quote