HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#61: Islanders @ Flyers - Thursday, Feb. 24, 2010 - 7:00 PM (ET)

Old
02-25-2011, 06:37 AM
Orange Crush 89

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StandingCow View Post
Like the announcers said, we are playing a bunch of desperate/nothing to lose type teams. They aren't going to be easy wins.
There's a positive in there, however. If the majority of teams the Flyers face the rest of the way are "desperate" or have "nothing to lose" it will be a nice lead in to the playoffs, just as long as Lavi keeps the team working and playing up to their level. Could be part of the reason the Flyers had the run they did last year because they had to scratch and claw to get in so there was no late season "we can take a couple weeks off" lull. As much as people like the "idea" of rest, usually the be preparation is repetition.

Also glad to hear Pronger is going to be all right.

Orange Crush 89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 08:01 AM
zbryne

Send a message via Skype™ to zbryne
Giroux is obviously beating briere to the flintstone chewable vitamins in the morning at the briere household.

zbryne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 08:30 AM
Doyle

Meszaros, Giroux key Flyers 4-3 OT win over Isles

http://nhlhotstove.com/meszaros-giro...in-over-isles/

Thanks for reading!

Doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 10:10 AM
Kevin27nyi
#21KO

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Thanks for stopping by! Yeah, Claude has probably played organized hockey once or twice before.

I had a chance to grab Moulson in fantasy not long ago. I elected not to, and he's made me pay for it since.
yep, moulson has like 6 goals in his last 4 games

Kevin27nyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 10:19 AM
bennysflyers16

JVR-JC-Roo

Mezz wrist shot is a missle
Other than 1st goal, thought Bob played pretty good !
Versteeg is getting better everygame and causes quite a few turnovers on the forecheck.
Carle was not at his best.

Of course we wanted to blow them out, but the Isles are a young team that never stop skating, they haven't been an easy win for any team lately .

bennysflyers16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 10:21 AM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKurri'soupkitchen View Post
If there's any justice, he'll name his twin sons "High" and "Wide"
It's amazing isn't it? The guy is closing in on a 40 goal season and people are still finding things to complain about.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 10:56 AM
mja
Negative Creep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
It's amazing isn't it? The guy is closing in on a 40 goal season and people are still finding things to complain about.
I guess if he hit the net more he'd score 80?

mja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 11:45 AM
Larry44

Quote:
I don't know if Briere and Richards are playing hurt, but Carter and Giroux have been carrying the team on their backs for a long time, and it's all praise for Giroux and jump on Carter. Hard to explain.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 11:56 AM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Richards had a bad flu, who knows about Briere.

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 11:56 AM
Andrea5174

The Flyers honored my husband Joe last night @ the game and I just wanted to say that we were so humbled by the reaction and the standing ovation. I dont know if any of you were @ the game, but it was awesome. Definitely some tears shed (and not just cause the Isles lost lol) and plenty of goosebumps!!

After the game we were invited (well Joe and our 2 sons) into both teams lockerrooms where they took pictures, signed the jersey that the Flyers gave him & the Isles gave my son 2 sticks.

All the people around us were amazing as were the fans who stopped to shake his hand, thank him, congratulate him and so many even took pictures with him.

Thank you Philadelphia, The Flyers, The Islanders and the fans/residents of Philly for making us feel like true Philadelphians (after moving here almost 12 years ago). God Bless!!

Andrea5174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 12:04 PM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by mja View Post
I guess if he hit the net more he'd score 80?

50, The lethal shot comes with a price.

Bob Clarke Fan Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 12:06 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrea5174 View Post
The Flyers honored my husband Joe last night @ the game and I just wanted to say that we were so humbled by the reaction and the standing ovation. I dont know if any of you were @ the game, but it was awesome. Definitely some tears shed (and not just cause the Isles lost lol) and plenty of goosebumps!!

After the game we were invited (well Joe and our 2 sons) into both teams lockerrooms where they took pictures, signed the jersey that the Flyers gave him & the Isles gave my son 2 sticks.

All the people around us were amazing as were the fans who stopped to shake his hand, thank him, congratulate him and so many even took pictures with him.

Thank you Philadelphia, The Flyers, The Islanders and the fans/residents of Philly for making us feel like true Philadelphians (after moving here almost 12 years ago). God Bless!!
Saw this on facebook this morning. Great story, your husband is a hero. Glad the team honoured him

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 12:54 PM
RoDu

boy this place was dead last night

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 02:16 PM
infidelappel*

Quote:
I don't think he'll hit 40. He only has 12 to go, but he needs to boost his GPG from .45 on the season to .57 over the remaining games.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 02:46 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 2363
Quote:

Thank you for posting those sentiments.

MiamiScreamingEagles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 03:43 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
I'm surprised most of you took Mr. Kurri's comment as serious.

Some players take a lot of shots until they get through, others pick their shots (Briere, Giroux, Leino). Carter's just one in the first category. He just happens to lead the team in missed shots. Although ignoring Richards, he's at least double the missed shots as anyone on the team. Once again, not complaining, but the numbers don't lie.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 05:09 PM
MountainHawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
I disagree. Each game should be about getting better, about refining systems of attack and defend. What do they do in practice? Why do the coaching staff watch video? It's great that they are "slumping" but still picking up points. But the same errors are being committed repeatedly, and the same defensive lapses are evident game after game, against the strong opponents as well as the weak.

To me, we're not seeing the ups and downs that are part of a normal season: there is a significant and repeated problem with either the game plan or the execution. I've been harping on terrible own-zone puck control, which was better tonight but there were still unforced errors. There were several occasions of the Islanders cycling the puck at will and creating numerous significant chances.

Maybe I'm just jaded at nitpicking on a team who, at present, is first overall in the NHL.
If it's March 26th and we are still talking about it, it's an issue. Until then, it's just a slump.

MountainHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 05:33 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 1045
Quote:
The best part about the comments about how Carter always misses the net "high and wide" is the small contradictory issue that he's about to lead the team in shots for the 4th year in a row. Imagine if he wasn't actually hitting the net as much as he is.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 06:14 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 1045
Quote:

I saw your story on Talk Philly on Channel 3 last Thursday. As I was watching it, I was thinking about how I wouldn't have had a quarter as much courage as your husband had. That is truly incredible.

And better days for the Islanders aren't far away.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 12:02 PM
Andrea5174

Thanks everyone!!

Andrea5174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 01:05 PM
mja
Negative Creep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHawk View Post
If it's March 26th and we are still talking about it, it's an issue. Until then, it's just a slump.
A "slump" they keep getting points out of, at that.

mja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 03:44 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
I don't know if Briere and Richards are playing hurt, but Carter and Giroux have been carrying the team on their backs for a long time, and it's all praise for Giroux and jump on Carter. Hard to explain.
QFT.

Doing something doesn't count, unless you're doing it fancy.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 04:57 PM
MountainHawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by mja View Post
A "slump" they keep getting points out of, at that.
Seriously. Flyers have points in 18 of the last 23 games.

35 out of 46 points. 76.1%. 125 point pace.

And this is when we are playing poorly.

MountainHawk is offline   Reply With Quote