HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs Lose to Leafs 5-4

Closed Thread

Old
02-25-2011, 10:33 AM
Habs10Habs
Retired

vCash: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
I don't disagree that they did happen to both teams however I felt the time frame in which the bs calls happened is what screwed us.

For example, early in the game when we're playing well all of the sudden we get 2-3 BS calls and the Leafs 0. We also had 1-2 non-calls for and the leafs had like only 1 non-call for.

Then later in the game when the leafs finally had pretty much stolen the momentum etc, the refs started calling bs penalties on them too and started missing calls on us.

The point I'm making isn't that the officiating is bias just that they're inconsistent and they try to ignore calls for whatever reason I don't know, I guess to keep the flow of the game from getting ruined by so many penalties etc.

I don't know why refs don't make calls or make stupid calls. For the stupid calls me guess would be speed of the game and of course not being able to see.

But it's the non-call part that bothers me. A few times you could clearly see a ref see it happen (to both teams) and you could clearly see they didn't make the call when it was obvious they should have. I bet it has something to do with keeping the game exciting and not slowing down the game with too many penalties but I just think if the refs had stuck to doing their jobs since the lockout now a days players would have gotten used to it and clutching/grabbing/hooking would be far less common then it is now. They should do their damn jobs you see a penalty you call it, I can't say how ******** the calls they did make are for certain because I'm not inside the refs head, but I do have eyes and I know what they're like to use, and when I see a ref whose eyes are clearly on the puck carrier and the puck carrier gets tripped, I don't care who the team is that did it, I want the penalty to be called.

I'm tired of officials reffing the game he way they feel like reffing it. Just make the darn calls.
Damn you write some long ass posts.

I'm not disagreeing with you Neo, the officiating and specifically the timing did have an effect. At the same time we still should have won this game, as there were many other factors that our players/coaching staff had control over, which IMO had more of an effect on the outcome of the game.

Old
02-25-2011, 10:34 AM
HCH

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
Gomez is easily having the worst season of his career. It happens to a player or two on each team every season. Wouldn't be surprised to see him bounce back next season.
Gomez will be 32 next year. There aren't many forwards who continue to produce at their peak levels after they reach 32. Although he still performed at an extremely high level, even Wayne Gretzky started to see a significant production decline at about that age.

Gomez may never reach 60 points in a season again.

Old
02-25-2011, 10:36 AM
gifted88
Dante the poet

Refs were insane tonight, almost once per game they call a penalty for a Hab player stripping the puck from someone. Funny thing is it's usually Pouliot but tonight it was Gionta. There is nothing illegal with a clean stick lift and removing the player from the puck with your body.

Also Hamrlik playing almost 30 minutes??? wft? He looked dead tired near the end of the 3rd.

Dunno how they expect Eller or Pouliot to show any promise with 8 and 6 minutes a piece...

Old
02-25-2011, 10:37 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
Damn you write some long ass posts.

I'm not disagreeing with you Neo, the officiating and specifically the timing did have an effect. At the same time we still should have won this game, as there were many other factors that our players/coaching staff had control over, which IMO had more of an effect on the outcome of the game.
Yeah for sure, not disagreeing either.

Auld.... and more importantly JM

Old
02-25-2011, 10:48 AM
JayBee*

It always seems that every Hab loss is followed by excuses by the usual suspects.

Can you believe that someone blamed the ice in the Heritage Classic game? Now it's the refs. It always seems to be the refs. Habs are the most penalized penalty. Do you believe that the Refs are conspiring...or that the team is just lazy and undisciplined? Habs take many, many, lazy penalties and a lot of it has to do with lack of speed on D (hooking, holding, tripping calls) and lack of size (slashing, hooking).

As far as blame for this game, the reffs did their part, but they didn't miss 2 open nets. They also weren't responsible for the team beign unable to get the puck out of their zone at the end of the game. This has been an issue for a while now. Our old, slow defense struggling to get the puck out of their own zone and forwards taking off far too early.

Old
02-25-2011, 10:55 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
It always seems that every Hab loss is followed by excuses by the usual suspects.

Can you believe that someone blamed the ice in the Heritage Classic game? Now it's the refs. It always seems to be the refs. Habs are the most penalized penalty. Do you believe that the Refs are conspiring...or that the team is just lazy and undisciplined? Habs take many, many, lazy penalties and a lot of it has to do with lack of speed on D (hooking, holding, tripping calls) and lack of size (slashing, hooking).

As far as blame for this game, the reffs did their part, but they didn't miss 2 open nets. They also weren't responsible for the team beign unable to get the puck out of their zone at the end of the game. This has been an issue for a while now. Our old, slow defense struggling to get the puck out of their own zone and forwards taking off far too early.
You also forgot the scheduling, NHL is out to get us dude

Old
02-25-2011, 10:57 AM
Turboflex*

Quote:
Originally Posted by gifted88 View Post
Refs were insane tonight, almost once per game they call a penalty for a Hab player stripping the puck from someone. Funny thing is it's usually Pouliot but tonight it was Gionta. There is nothing illegal with a clean stick lift and removing the player from the puck with your body.
HUGE momentum swing that put the leafs in control of the 1st when they were previously in trouble. Habs were dominating the Leafs' zone, Gionta stripping him just setup a great scoring chance. Whoops, blow the whistle, phantom penalty, bring it down to the other end, puck is in the back of the net 5 seconds later.

Old
02-25-2011, 11:00 AM
JayBee*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
You also forgot the scheduling, NHL is out to get us dude
Forgot about that...someone was angry that the Bruins had more days in between games.

Old
02-25-2011, 11:00 AM
neofury*

Quote:

I'm not blaming them for the loss, but to just sit back idle and say nothing after that piss poor display of officiating we saw would just be dumb. Just cause people point out that the officiating was terrible doesn't necessarily mean they blame the officiating. Whether or not it's their fault isn't even relevant. These guys are paid to provide a service they are arguably not providing. They don't do their job properly.

If you were to go to work and do a half assed job I'm sure your boss wouldn't be pleased either, whether or not it was your fault that something did go wrong. I just know if I were officiating I would call it as I see it. Not saying I'd be the best ref or something far from it, but I just hate to see missed calls that are so obvious is all. I don't care even if we win the game 7-0 poor officiating in favor or against the habs is still poor officiating and an embarrassment to the NHL.

Old
02-25-2011, 11:03 AM
JayBee*

Quote:
I'm not blaming them for the loss, but to just sit back idle and say nothing after that piss poor display of officiating we saw would just be dumb. Just cause people point out that the officiating was terrible doesn't necessarily mean they blame the officiating. Whether or not it's their fault isn't even relevant. These guys are paid to provide a service they are arguably not providing. They don't do their job properly.

If you were to go to work and do a half assed job I'm sure your boss wouldn't be pleased either, whether or not it was your fault that something did go wrong. I just know if I were officiating I would call it as I see it. Not saying I'd be the best ref or something far from it, but I just hate to see missed calls that are so obvious is all. I don't care even if we win the game 7-0 poor officiating in favor or against the habs is still poor officiating and an embarrassment to the NHL.
I only hear about the "piss poor" officiating after a Habs loss. My point is....every team gets the same "piss poor" officiating. Is calling out the refs going to do anything besides make the Habs look like whiners and collect a fine?

The reffing needs to be better league-wide. But it looks like a lot of blaming when the first thing out of everyone's mouths are the reffing instead of Habs being dominated by a physical team.

Old
02-25-2011, 11:08 AM
Mathradio
Drive for 25

Quote:
I only hear about the "piss poor" officiating after a Habs loss. My point is....every team gets the same "piss poor" officiating. Is calling out the refs going to do anything besides make the Habs look like whiners and collect a fine?

The reffing needs to be better league-wide. But it looks like a lot of blaming when the first thing out of everyone's mouths are the reffing instead of Habs being dominated by a physical team.
Would it be worse if it was the NHLPA who got out and voiced their reffing concerns rather than the Habs?

Old
02-25-2011, 11:10 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by HCH View Post
Gomez will be 32 next year. There aren't many forwards who continue to produce at their peak levels after they reach 32. Although he still performed at an extremely high level, even Wayne Gretzky started to see a significant production decline at about that age.

Gomez may never reach 60 points in a season again.
Hmm, lots of players have good seasons in the 30s. His career high was 80+ points which obviously he'll never reach. But 60 points from a 32 year old that has only gotten less than 55 points in a season once (he got 48 points when he was 22) in his 11 year career going into this season? If he has another identical season next year then I'd say he's probably done but as of right now, it's a good possibility this is an off year that many other athletes have.

Old
02-25-2011, 11:36 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

The problem wasn't with Auld or JM. It's higher. It's why the organization is hell bent on playing Price 70+ games a year while ensuring he has little backup support (i.e. real or perceived competition for playing time) and little sharing of duties. It's the same mismanagement that has occurred since the moment Price was drafted.

They are paying a guy a million a year to do little more than practice with the team and be sent in cold every 8 games or so. I am not saying a 60-40 playtime split is in order, but a team's backup has to be prepared and competent enough to win points. Auld is an adventure out there despite his overall respectable stats.

Where my defense of JM ends is the absolute astonishing decision to start Auld in this particular game. We've seen him pass on other opportunities to start Auld in 2-games-2-night scenarios, yet he throws Auld in seemingly at random against an important (and confident ) conference opponent where no fatigue factors appear in play.

No, it's not ok to question every coaching and GM decision, but the handling of the goaltender duties under Gainey and Guathier has been mind boggling to say the least. And god help us if Price gets injured. This team for all it's hard work and the injuries it's perservered over are nothing more than a Price groin tweak away from folding like a tent.

Old
02-25-2011, 11:53 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Forgot about that...someone was angry that the Bruins had more days in between games.
yup. They have an extra day off but they play back to back on the weekend which we didn't all of that trip.

Old
02-25-2011, 11:59 AM
JayBee*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathradio View Post
Would it be worse if it was the NHLPA who got out and voiced their reffing concerns rather than the Habs?
I don't have a problem with that as long as they do it behind closed doors.

You don't think it's odd that the Habs are the most penalized team in the league and barely have any fighting majors? Look at the nature of the penalties...all SOFT penalties....hooking, tripping, slashing, holding, etc.

I'd rather worrying about the things my team can fix than hoping and praying the reffing changes.

Brett frigging Lebda scored last night....Bozak scored 2 goals...wtf man?

Old
02-25-2011, 12:36 PM
neofury*

Quote:

Well if I watched more teams more often you'd hear it about it more often

Seriously though, there's tons of ****** officiating in most games whether we win or lose. Good officials these days are few and far between. Whether they're one sided or not isn't really relevant to me I just want the officials to do their job or be replaced with ones who will. I don't want the habs or any other team to win or lose games due to something unjust.

Old
02-25-2011, 12:57 PM
Habit11

Quote:
I don't have a problem with that as long as they do it behind closed doors.

You don't think it's odd that the Habs are the most penalized team in the league and barely have any fighting majors? Look at the nature of the penalties...all SOFT penalties....hooking, tripping, slashing, holding, etc.

I'd rather worrying about the things my team can fix than hoping and praying the reffing changes.

Brett frigging Lebda scored last night....Bozak scored 2 goals...wtf man?
Yeah, their is no bias against the Habs' in terms of penalties, just like their is no favoritism for the Pens (which we always hear about) as they are 1st in terms of times shorthanded, and Habs' are second. They take penalties because of the reasons you've said, and their have been plenty of penalties due to poor discipline as well, plus several too many men on the ice calls. These things add up over time, and when the PK isn't great and the goaltending isn't great, you spot 5 to the Leafs.

Old
02-25-2011, 12:57 PM
JayBee*

Quote:
Well if I watched more teams more often you'd hear it about it more often

Seriously though, there's tons of ****** officiating in most games whether we win or lose. Good officials these days are few and far between. Whether they're one sided or not isn't really relevant to me I just want the officials to do their job or be replaced with ones who will. I don't want the habs or any other team to win or lose games due to something unjust.
Understandable. If we had the right team, we'd be able to win WITH the bad officiating. There were many chances to win last night but Habs didn't cash in on their opportunities.

Like I said before, I'm more concerned with team play than the refs.

Komisarek went after Pleks and then mocked him. Phaneuf did the same thing. Not a single thing was done as retaliation. I'm not saying fight...but damn, take liberties on the opponent's top players. Habs are way too passive.

Old
02-25-2011, 01:01 PM
llamateizer

come on guys
whats the problem about complaining for putting Auld?

Boston will pick further with that win

Carey price playef 55 games.
he need some rest for the playoffs, if not he'd get burned

anyway.
the refs were bad yesterday. but we allowed alot of opportunities anwd the habs lost the game 2/6 vs 3/7

Old
02-25-2011, 01:02 PM
HCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
Hmm, lots of players have good seasons in the 30s. His career high was 80+ points which obviously he'll never reach. But 60 points from a 32 year old that has only gotten less than 55 points in a season once (he got 48 points when he was 22) in his 11 year career going into this season? If he has another identical season next year then I'd say he's probably done but as of right now, it's a good possibility this is an off year that many other athletes have.
Yes, they have good seasons but probably more often than not it is below their career average. With his career average at about 65 points per season we might be expecting a lot out of the guy if we think he will match those numbers... and Martin's system won't help

Old
02-25-2011, 01:02 PM
swimmer77
Post Oates

Quote:
Understandable. If we had the right team, we'd be able to win WITH the bad officiating. There were many chances to win last night but Habs didn't cash in on their opportunities.

Komisarek went after Pleks and then mocked him. Phaneuf did the same thing. Not a single thing was done as retaliation. I'm not saying fight...but damn, take liberties on the opponent's top players. Habs are way too passive.
Passive coach = Passive team

Old
02-25-2011, 01:07 PM
JayBee*

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer77 View Post
Passive coach = Passive team
Very true...

Old
02-25-2011, 01:10 PM
OneSharpMarble

Well I tried to hunt down the thread I saw it in then I tried to find that stats myself but no luck so I am just going to toss this out there. I read somewhere that given his ice time Pouliot is the most productive forward in the nhl. I can't remember the factors (might be age in there aswell) but he was up there.

Old
02-25-2011, 01:16 PM
neofury*

Quote:

Yeah I saw that

Honestly I don't disagree we need some tougher players who will stick up for teammates, but this year I think we're done.

We have a very good opportunity this July to make some bold UFA signings and maybe even a trade though. I have more faith in PG than I do in JM, which is a good thing I think because I'm a firm believer that coaching only goes so far, the product you have on the ice imo is most important. Coaches can be changed more easily imo than a player can. Even if you get a rookie coach like Carb was, the change in style can sometimes help a lot.

Old
02-25-2011, 02:11 PM
almostjesus*

My theory goes like this;

The Canadiens CANNOT win to ****** teams. The Canadiens CAN win to the GOOD teams.

Now, after hours of forensic investigation, I've come to the conclusion that the Habs and JM himself take it on cruise control and use this time playing ****** teams to do a lot of weird **** by fiddling with the lines, keeping players on for longer than they have to be. The Habs probably drank all night thinking " Yeah it's just the leafs" just like they thought about Calgary...and Edmonton...but come the Vancouver Canucks, hell, I was cheering on for Gomez for once for taking the puck deep and battling for it hard.

I hate Gomez but playing against the Canucks I saw a different Gomez. Playing against the ********* teams in the league I see a Gomez that doesn't deserve to be wearing a Habs jersey.

But you know what? We were in the same boat last season. I think the Habs are a play off team. They do better under pressure than having a nice cushion.

Closed Thread