HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

ZHERDEV clears waivers, remains on Flyers' roster (Thursday, Feb. 24)

Old
02-25-2011, 12:28 PM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartsiephan View Post
Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me. Bye Nik, would have been nice if maybe you just listened the first time around. This is precisely the type of player that all the talent in the world, but lacks the fortitude to work hard, do not need that on this team.

I don't need him to have a life altering experience, but if being passed over by everyone could light a fire under him for a few months I'd be pretty ecstatic. Let him light it up, earn someone else's trust and screw them. That's probably the absolute best case scenario.

Bob Clarke Fan Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 01:20 PM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Clarke Fan Club View Post
I don't need him to have a life altering experience, but if being passed over by everyone could light a fire under him for a few months I'd be pretty ecstatic. Let him light it up, earn someone else's trust and screw them. That's probably the absolute best case scenario.
They are better off as a team without him, no sense in giving guys like this another chance when you have players who are willing to work twice as hard to get the job done. As far as a depth position on this roster I'll take the guy who will skate through a brick wall or drop to block a shot as time expires over a guy who you never know what you will get.

Nik, enjoy your vacation on the Caspian Sea.

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 01:25 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartsiephan View Post
They are better off as a team without him, no sense in giving guys like this another chance when you have players who are willing to work twice as hard to get the job done. As far as a depth position on this roster I'll take the guy who will skate through a brick wall or drop to block a shot as time expires over a guy who you never know what you will get.

Nik, enjoy your vacation on the Caspian Sea.
Except he met with Laviolette twice and apparently his attitude is positive. With no other options now he wants to be a part of this team.

Zherdev says he wants to succeed. If he's blowing smoke, then he gets benched again.

It doesn't bother me giving him another chance.

No risk/high reward.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 02:03 PM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Except he met with Laviolette twice and apparently his attitude is positive. With no other options now he wants to be a part of this team.

Zherdev says he wants to succeed. If he's blowing smoke, then he gets benched again.

No risk/high reward.
That's the part that bothers me.

Clearly, he didn't care before and doesn't really want to be here, but now that he is on his last leg to prove his NHL worth he wants to work hard? (Not 'cause he cares about the Flyers, but just because he doesn't want to wash out completely, in all likelihood).

I just don't think someone like that deserves to be on this team.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 02:15 PM
OriginJM
watch out im smart

Quote:
No risk/high reward.
Really?

How about:

1.) Getting back in the line-up and sitting someone out like Carcillo (whom I also don't like, but prefer over Z) who will block shots, fight, protect team mates, and play hard.

2.) Causing usual drama. Not showing up to team events or meeting or hanging out with them in general. Being moody and surprise... enigmatic.

3.) Being usual Zherdev and giving the other team handfuls more scoring opportunities by being on the ice.

His positives:

1.) He scores.

Kind of sounds like High Risk/Decent Reward to me.

OriginJM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 02:21 PM
clockwise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Clarke Fan Club View Post
Dangleberry only get's intense when he's being knocked around.. Maybe Lavy can box his noggin and straighten him out because this whole saga has been an immense disappointment.

No one expected him to be reformed when he joined the team but he can't just fart around the ice waiting for scoring chances if he joins the team again. I would of thought he'd been more committed because he's playing for a pay check next season.

clockwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 02:26 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginJM View Post
Really?

How about:

1.) Getting back in the line-up and sitting someone out like Carcillo (whom I also don't like, but prefer over Z) who will block shots, fight, protect team mates, and play hard.

2.) Causing usual drama. Not showing up to team events or meeting or hanging out with them in general. Being moody and surprise... enigmatic.

3.) Being usual Zherdev and giving the other team handfuls more scoring opportunities by being on the ice.

His positives:

1.) He scores.

Kind of sounds like High Risk/Decent Reward to me.
I'll take a fully functioning Zherdev with everything to lose playing like we need him to over half of the forwards on our roster.

The question is how close he will get to that perfect state of doing everything right.

I have my doubts.

Like I said...no risk/high reward.

He can't hurt our team from the press box or wherever he decides to venture off to.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 02:38 PM
Snipsnap12

I have a strange feeling that shelley will be out and zherdev will be in against ottawa

Snipsnap12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 02:45 PM
CantSeeColors

Quote:

No risk/high reward.
This must be why he was smiling when he got into the limo the other day.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 02:46 PM
King Forsberg
21 68 88 16 44 28

vCash: 300
I don't think/want Shelley sitting with Carkner Neil and Lessard playing

King Forsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 02:47 PM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timonen View Post
I don't think/want Shelley sitting with Carkner Neil and Lessard playing
It's these types of guys that Z can embarrass with his dangles.

Old
02-25-2011, 03:11 PM
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God

Quote:
I'll take a fully functioning Zherdev with everything to lose playing like we need him to over half of the forwards on our roster.

The question is how close he will get to that perfect state of doing everything right.

I have my doubts.

Like I said...no risk/high reward.

He can't hurt our team from the press box or wherever he decides to venture off to.
Zherdev doesn't have everything to lose. I'm sure he won't mind continuing to play his style of hockey in the KHL, while make similar money.

OJM gives you a list of reasons why he is a risk, and they effect every aspect of this team. From on ice to off ice, and you just go and repeat no risk/high reward.

He isn't even a high reward.

KimiFerrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 03:38 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
I'm a little confused on the waiver situation with Z. So he is still on the team and still counts against the cap and can still play in games. Say he plays tomorrow and lights it up and continues to do so. Will he have to go through waivers again at some point before the playoffs? I am just worried that this will be the case then the Flyers will have to put him on re-entry waivers and someone else will nab him. Anyone have any insight on what the situation is on that?

DrinkFightFlyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 03:50 PM
Razor the Goalie
Can I Get a Hot Tub

This guy plays for the name on his back, he has always been that way and always will, yeah he can score but his linemates have to back check a hole of a lot harder because they know he sure as hell will not.

So the type of style he brings might add a goal here and there but also throws his line mates off directly effecting his team.

Razor the Goalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 03:51 PM
silver surfer

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I'm a little confused on the waiver situation with Z. So he is still on the team and still counts against the cap and can still play in games. Say he plays tomorrow and lights it up and continues to do so. Will he have to go through waivers again at some point before the playoffs? I am just worried that this will be the case then the Flyers will have to put him on re-entry waivers and someone else will nab him. Anyone have any insight on what the situation is on that?
I believe the Flyers have 30 days or 10 games to decide what to do with him. Whichever comes first. And I also believe that I read somewhere that we can't make any decision until after the trade deadline - something about the waiver being too close to the deadline.

He'd only be subject to re-entry waivers if we actually choose to assign him to the Phantoms. But I can't see us recalling him if we choose to send him down. At least I hope we wouldn't.

The way I read it, we know we can dump his salary on Monday if we want, so it gives us some freedom to try and pick up another player. If we choose not to send him down during this period, we could waive him again after this period expires (not re-entry, straight-up waivers).

We have some roster freedom through the trade deadline. And also have 30 days/10 games to see if he really has changed his attitude.

I'm definitely no expert on this though so if someone knows better, please correct this. I pieced most of this together reading various news reports.

silver surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
He is fine. Since no one wanted him, and he wasnt reassigned, he doesnt have to be recalled or anything. Right now, they can decide to keep him on the big club or send him down. Seems like they decided to keep him. It is as if nothing has happened. He can, at another time, be waived again

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Razor the Goalie
Can I Get a Hot Tub

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSeeColors View Post
It's these types of guys that Z can embarrass with his dangles.
Who's picking up Briere's or Roo's teeth when Carkner or Neil makes a run at them?

Razor the Goalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 03:55 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
He is fine. Since no one wanted him, and he wasnt reassigned, he doesnt have to be recalled or anything. Right now, they can decide to keep him on the big club or send him down. Seems like they decided to keep him. It is as if nothing has happened. He can, at another time, be waived again
So there's no time limit or anything like that? If he goes on a tear and the Flyers want to keep him the rest of the way and into the playoffs he won't have to be placed on re-entry waivers or waivers of any kind? Basically I guess an easier way to ask the question would be at no point will the Flyers have to subject Zherdev to waivers again this season unless they choose too?

Old
02-25-2011, 03:58 PM
silver surfer

vCash: 50
Quote:
So there's no time limit or anything like that? If he goes on a tear and the Flyers want to keep him the rest of the way and into the playoffs he won't have to be placed on re-entry waivers or waivers of any kind? Basically I guess an easier way to ask the question would be at no point will the Flyers have to subject Zherdev to waivers again this season unless they choose too?
Correct. At least the way I understand it.

silver surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 04:02 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by silver surfer View Post
Yep, thats how I thought it was also. It seemed like they chose to keep Zherdev, so its as if nothing even happened.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 04:13 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver surfer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Yep, thats how I thought it was also. It seemed like they chose to keep Zherdev, so its as if nothing even happened.
Awesome. Awesome to the max. If he wants to stop being a baby and play some hockey the way Lavy wants it played then I can be very forgiving. If he is going to act the same way and half ass it then go the **** back to the USSR.

Old
02-25-2011, 04:48 PM
Jester

The cleared waivers last like a month or something. If they wanted to send him down at the end of that window, they'd have to waive him again... but it lasts for a while. Kukkonen was waived a couple of times that one year.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 04:52 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSeeColors View Post
This must be why he was smiling when he got into the limo the other day.
That was before he cleared waivers though. His agent requested Zherdev be put on waivers, I'm assuming that was under the impression there was no way he would have cleared.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 10:17 AM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldberg The Goalie View Post
Who's picking up Briere's or Roo's teeth when Carkner or Neil makes a run at them?
Probably the maintenance crew. I don't think they'd make Shelley do it whether he's dressed or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
That was before he cleared waivers though. His agent requested Zherdev be put on waivers, I'm assuming that was under the impression there was no way he would have cleared.
You think he'd never met with his coach before?

Old
02-27-2011, 08:31 PM
phillyfury

forget it

phillyfury is offline   Reply With Quote