HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, expansion and relocation, and NHL revenues.

Flyers buying out Leclair and Amonte

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-23-2005, 11:42 AM
  #1
FanSince2014
What'd He Say?
 
FanSince2014's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Country: Slovenia
Posts: 3,067
vCash: 500
Flyers buying out Leclair and Amonte

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?ID=131219&hubName=nhl

FanSince2014 is offline  
Old
07-23-2005, 11:59 AM
  #2
Juni
Registered User
 
Juni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: London, England
Country: England
Posts: 3,272
vCash: 500
I know a Swede who's just been made very happy by this news

Juni is offline  
Old
07-23-2005, 12:00 PM
  #3
Flyers26
 
Flyers26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: We must accept disap
Country: United States
Posts: 7,663
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by getnziggywidit
John had a great run with the FLYERS. It would have been nice for him to finish his career with the FLYERS.
My bet is he ends up wherever Lindros goes.

Flyers26 is offline  
Old
07-23-2005, 12:03 PM
  #4
Hyped
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Tombstone
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,568
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers26
John had a great run with the FLYERS. It would have been nice for him to finish his career with the FLYERS.
My bet is he ends up wherever Lindros goes.
Ouch, it would make for a very fragile team if their hopes are on those two staying healthy for a season....

Hyped is offline  
Old
07-23-2005, 12:08 PM
  #5
SPARTAKUS*
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Hearst
Country: Canada
Posts: 680
vCash: 500
Thank you big John for all the incredible memories you gave us. And good luck to you where ever you play this season.


SPARTAKUS* is offline  
Old
07-23-2005, 12:15 PM
  #6
Tekneek
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 3,645
vCash: 500
I used to like John LeClair until he held out while under contract. He did the same exact thing that Yashin did, except Philly gave him the money instead of playing hardball like Ottawa did. People forget this.

Tekneek is offline  
Old
07-23-2005, 03:31 PM
  #7
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid
 
guymez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,959
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekneek
I used to like John LeClair until he held out while under contract. He did the same exact thing that Yashin did, except Philly gave him the money instead of playing hardball like Ottawa did. People forget this.
Looks like Bob Clarke didn't forget.

guymez is offline  
Old
07-23-2005, 04:09 PM
  #8
salzy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Windsor
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,048
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekneek
I used to like John LeClair until he held out while under contract. He did the same exact thing that Yashin did, except Philly gave him the money instead of playing hardball like Ottawa did. People forget this.
He didn't miss a single game and Clarke refused to negotiate until he reported to training camp. Once he was in camp, they worked out a contract. Pretty simple, and no harm done. Definitely nothing like what Yashin did.

salzy is offline  
Old
07-23-2005, 04:18 PM
  #9
Tekneek
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 3,645
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by salzy
He didn't miss a single game and Clarke refused to negotiate until he reported to training camp. Once he was in camp, they worked out a contract. Pretty simple, and no harm done. Definitely nothing like what Yashin did.
How so? Because he only held out 9 days before he got his reward? If Ottawa had promised the same, Yashin might have reported as well. Ottawa didn't even offer an opportunity to re-negotiate the contract. It is very similar, just that Philly was willing to give in.

Keith Tkachuk also pulled a similar sort of stunt. Except he reported to camp and played in pre-season games until he said he would sit out the last one and would not play another game until his contract was restructured. This was in 1997. Even Peter Bondra was pulling a similar stunt that year.

Tekneek is offline  
Old
07-23-2005, 04:23 PM
  #10
salzy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Windsor
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,048
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekneek
How so? Because he only held out 9 days before he got his reward? If Ottawa had promised the same, Yashin might have reported as well. Ottawa didn't even offer an opportunity to re-negotiate the contract. It is very similar, just that Philly was willing to give in.
The huge difference is the fact that Leclair was promised a renegotiation and it never materialized over the course of the summer. And, as I said, they refused to negotiate with him until he reported to camp. So he reported to camp. And again, he didn't miss a single game. Yashin missed an entire season. Well, in his most recent holdout he missed an entire season. Not sure how many games he missed the previous time(s) he pulled that stunt.

salzy is offline  
Old
07-23-2005, 04:26 PM
  #11
Tekneek
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 3,645
vCash: 500
Yashin insisted he was promised a re-negotiation as well.

Tekneek is offline  
Old
07-23-2005, 04:52 PM
  #12
salzy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Windsor
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,048
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekneek
Yashin insisted he was promised a re-negotiation as well.
So then it becomes a question of credibility. I choose to believe Leclair (a solid citizen and class act and since the Flyers made good on their promise as soon as he came to camp). I don't recall that about Yashin, but if you say so I believe you, but choose not to believe Yashin (in light of his past holdouts, his reneging on the million dollar donation to the (center for the?) Arts, and the fact that his agent is a scum bag and that is well known to be his MO).

salzy is offline  
Old
07-23-2005, 05:01 PM
  #13
reckoning
Registered User
 
reckoning's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,436
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekneek
Yashin insisted he was promised a re-negotiation as well.
I believe that was only an issue on his first two holdouts. The last one was just because he wanted to.

reckoning is offline  
Old
07-23-2005, 05:18 PM
  #14
Eradicator
Registered User
 
Eradicator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 267
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by guymez
Looks like Bob Clarke didn't forget.
and he punished him by giving him $5.2M. That'll teach him!

Eradicator is offline  
Old
07-24-2005, 06:53 AM
  #15
Tekneek
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 3,645
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by reckoning
I believe that was only an issue on his first two holdouts. The last one was just because he wanted to.
I remember, at least initially, that the claims were that he was promised a renegotiation if he met particular performance levels. Particularly his 44 goals in the 1998-99 season. That's why the rumors of the impending situation were already circling before that season ended. As it wore on, that was rarely if ever mentioned again. I'm not saying Yashin was right. The end result was exactly how it should have gone.

If John LeClair was in Ottawa, I bet he never reports either, because there was no chance of that new contract. He would have ended up demanding a trade. That's just speculation, but there is a huge difference between the situations those teams were in.

Tekneek is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:55 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.