HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sturm waived, then claimed by Washington

Old
02-25-2011, 03:41 PM
Omni Owl

vCash: 500
Not expecting much, but just don't ****ing trade Schenn.

Omni Owl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 03:44 PM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

I'm still totally cool with Hemsky as well, mainly because that won't involve Schenn and it's a player that both Smyth and Stoll have played with.

This is the one Hemsky play I'll never forget. As ridiculous as that EN whiff was... you've still got to put the puck in the net at the other end.

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 03:50 PM
Cook24

Send a message via AIM to Cook24
So...does anyone else think sturm gets claimed. I think he will...

Cook24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 03:51 PM
DAkings20
Kings can't score

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cook24 View Post
So...does anyone else think sturm gets claimed. I think he will...
I don't know but Hammond just wrote that TM plans on having him play on the 1st line tmrw if he's not claimed. Should be interesting.

DAkings20 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 03:55 PM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

And so if he gets claimed I guess we go with Richardson on the first line? I don't understand why we would risk it in the first place? Only reason I see him getting placed on waivers is because Lombardi knows someone will claim him

AKAY47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 03:57 PM
Alternate Jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKAY47 View Post
And so if he gets claimed I guess we go with Richardson on the first line? I don't understand why we would risk it in the first place? Only reason I see him getting placed on waivers is because Lombardi knows someone will claim him
i'm confused, too. if he clears waivers, then what's changed? nothing? or can we just send him to manchester whenever we want then?

edit: and i thought there were re-entry waivers to be cleared, too? i mean, that's what's going on with rivet...

Last edited by Alternate Jersey: 02-25-2011 at 04:06 PM.
Alternate Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 04:08 PM
Cook24

Send a message via AIM to Cook24
Lol seriously...I don't get it either...I guess it means DL is hoping sturm gets claimed? Because if he doesn't we still have 23 guys on the roster....idkidkidk?

Cook24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 04:14 PM
Kurrilino
Go Stoll Go

Send a message via MSN to Kurrilino
finally a smart move by Lombardi.

Who isn't helping the Kings have to go simply and plain.

Alone the idea to help other teams out of caphell and get nothing in return is retarded.
The Bruins have a damn fine team now.
We got the garbage and the Bruins got the capspace to sign great guys.

Hope you learned from this Mr. Lombardi

Kurrilino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 04:15 PM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

But why put him on waivers NOW.. The deadline isn't until Monday.. Orrrrr wait, if someone's put on waivers on the weekend, they can't get officially claimed until Monday, ok that part makes sense. Why risk it though? You go from having a 1st liner to potentially losing him via waivers and then scrambling, not having anyone other than Richardson or whoever else. There must be a deal in place and he knew someone would claim Sturm, I just don't get it.

Old
02-25-2011, 04:22 PM
Alternate Jersey

Quote:
But why put him on waivers NOW.. The deadline isn't until Monday.. Orrrrr wait, if someone's put on waivers on the weekend, they can't get officially claimed until Monday, ok that part makes sense. Why risk it though? You go from having a 1st liner to potentially losing him via waivers and then scrambling, not having anyone other than Richardson or whoever else. There must be a deal in place and he knew someone would claim Sturm, I just don't get it.
i was under the impression that he could be claimed over the weekend...

Alternate Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 04:27 PM
PSP
Couldn't Be Happier!

Quote:
I swear Helene Elliott is legitimately technologically retarded, she always tweets random **** like

I don't know who she's talking about, or if she means to DM this to someone, but it's so annoying, she's so old. The LA Times needs some new blood, not an old ***** who covers both Kings & Ducks
That was an answer to someone else who thought Clifford could only go back to Juniors

PSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 04:27 PM
two out of three*

Send a message via ICQ to two out of three* Send a message via AIM to two out of three*
The thought of it being a "risk" around here to put Sturm on waivers is ridiculous. Putting somebody on waivers who isn't helping us AT ALL right now is not a "risk" especially when you figure we have two better and more useful players in Moller and Loktionov just waiting for a call up (And deserve one.)

If Marc-Andre Cliche gets called up, I will be LIVID.

I want Ales Hemsky. With Hemsky and Loktionov both in the line up our offensive creativity (which is something we need) SKY ROCKETS.

two out of three* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 04:30 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Can someone explain why they need roster flexibility for the deadline? I understand the roster expands after the deadline so that makes a call up unlikely. They also don't need the cap space because as somebody pointed out the Kings could afford a max contracted prorated for the rest of the year. That leaves the prospect of a trade the only likley scenario. Even if the Kings were to acquire a player for non-roster assets, couldn't they jusy waive someone when the trade is made?

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 04:36 PM
Andrew Knoll
Hockey's Future Staff

Hammond says Sturm is still practicing and will likely play Saturday and Monday, I believe this effectively gives him a status similar to waiver-exempt players vis-a-vis trade.

In other words, he won't go to Manchester until after the deadline if at all from the sound of things.

02-25-2011, 04:37 PM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alternate Jersey View Post
i was under the impression that he could be claimed over the weekend...
Yeah, he could be claimed tomorrow because we put him on waivers today. But let's say we put him on waivers tomorrow then he couldn't be claimed until Monday (I might be wrong)

Old
02-25-2011, 04:37 PM
onlyalad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy The Elf View Post
Can someone explain why they need roster flexibility for the deadline? I understand the roster expands after the deadline so that makes a call up unlikely. They also don't need the cap space because as somebody pointed out the Kings could afford a max contracted prorated for the rest of the year. That leaves the prospect of a trade the only likley scenario. Even if the Kings were to acquire a player for non-roster assets, couldn't they jusy waive someone when the trade is made?
The only way this makes sense is if they are calling up Loki for Monday and since Sturm was never assigned he can be added after the trade deadline and it doesn't count as a call up. That would still leave them three call ups with Sturm and Loki already in LA. (Loki could replaced with some one else but I would hope it was him.)

onlyalad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 04:42 PM
stonedhenge

Quote:
Originally Posted by two out of three View Post
The thought of it being a "risk" around here to put Sturm on waivers is ridiculous. Putting somebody on waivers who isn't helping us AT ALL right now is not a "risk" especially when you figure we have two better and more useful players in Moller and Loktionov just waiting for a call up (And deserve one.)
If Sturm sucks so much that he has to be waived, then why is he playing on the 1st line?

stonedhenge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 04:44 PM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

I think we're looking into this way too much, kind of like when Rich Clune was assigned to Ontario last year, everyone thought for sure a trade was coming through but he was assigned there because it's closer to LA than Manchester is

Old
02-25-2011, 04:47 PM
two out of three*

Send a message via ICQ to two out of three* Send a message via AIM to two out of three*
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonedhenge View Post
If Sturm sucks so much that he has to be waived, then why is he playing on the 1st line?
Because TM puts him there as a reward for doing.. Well, nothing.

two out of three* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 04:53 PM
Duc620

go read jewels from the crown.... logical speculation on the Sturm waiver trick.

Lokti is still too young and undeveloped physically to play during the last 20 games... did you see some of the hits against the boards last night!?! ..... he's gonna get hurt.

Duc620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 04:55 PM
HeadInjury

I tend to think he won't be claimed. He's coming off major surgery and already missed a dozen games since his return. He still is owed $1 million or so and I imagine mosts teams will conclude it's too risky. That said, it only takes one team to put in a claim and he's gone.

There's no way DL did this just to potentially open up a roster spot. He must be prepared to lose Sturm. If that happens, it means all the remaining forwards will play tomorrow. It's not a big deal for just one game. But there has to be a deal (or two) that he is ready to make.

HeadInjury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 04:59 PM
DryIslandBartender
KCCO

It may be a bluff on deans part.

DryIslandBartender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 05:03 PM
Willard
Kings All The Way

Teams at the trade deadline, who are distracted by their own attempted trade efforts, are not going to go out of their way to pick up and pay a recently twice-injured player who is not exactly young and has a relatively large salary for just the last 20 games.

DL knows this, which is why he is taking a (fairly safe) chance at choosing Sturm to be the one to give him very temporary roster flexibility.

DL wants to get added roster room to make a trade, but he also doesn't want to actually lose anybody.

Sturm is playing well enough, and has enough potential as a useful player for the Kings to keep him, but given the circumstances, he is too scary to other teams for them to take a chance at claiming him.

I'm sure we will see him in the game vs Colorado after the 9 am waiver deadline passes.

Whatever trade comes as a result of all this is not likely to be merely a small one. Lombardi would not take such a gamble, even as minor as this one is, unless a biggie was around the corner.

EDIT: Jewels from the Crown reaches the same conclusions about the Sturm waiving: http://www.jewelsfromthecrown.com/20...urm-on-waivers

Last edited by Willard: 02-25-2011 at 05:11 PM.
Willard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 05:05 PM
Quattro

Quote:
I think we're looking into this way too much
Ok, that is the smartest thing anyone has said in this thread.

Quattro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 05:25 PM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

Sturm speaks:

http://lakingsinsider.com/2011/02/25...ver-situation/

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote