HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2010-2011 Prospect Talk Part II

Closed Thread

Old
02-24-2011, 11:30 AM
petrocelli
I love the Draft!!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessandro Seren Rosso View Post
A translated interview with Petrov, in which he declares he might report this summer: http://sportshaze.com/russia/khl/kir...h-america-1572
What makes anyone think this guy can make an impact on the NHL level next year when we can't even score in the KHL??

Bridgeport bound..

Old
02-24-2011, 01:18 PM
redbull
game on

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrocelli View Post
What makes anyone think this guy can make an impact on the NHL level next year when we can't even score in the KHL??

Bridgeport bound..
Look at the life that was breathed into the likes of Mikael Grabner, Matt Moulson, Robbie Schremp, PA Parenteau, James Wisniewski, simply with a change of scenery

Seriously though, I always felt Petrov would make a good NHL player. He has size, talent - he's just young. The KHL is not an ideal league for him, despite his ice-time. He basically LOST TWO YEARS of development and that's why he's not producing in that PRO LEAGUE.

I bet with a half year or in the AHL next year, he'll be called up and won't see AHL time again.

Old
02-24-2011, 06:04 PM
periferal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneekypete View Post
Key word: MIGHT?

Exactly. And I *might* go to Russia.

The REALITY is that it's all but certain Petrov spends at least one more year in Russia. To understand what would have to happen for him to play here:

1. Petrov, and Petrov alone, would have to buy out the final year of his contract. The Islanders CANNOT assist one penny to this.
  2. Then he must sign a contract with the Isles which would be less than his KHL contract, and if he didn't make the Isles and had to play in Bridgeport, he'd make significantly less.

So by doing nothing, Petrov gets to stay another year in a league/game he knows with higher salary than the NHL in his home country where he knows the culture and speaks the language. Basically he'd have to turn his life upside down to come here and make less money not to mention the money he'd lose in a buyout from the KHL.

I don't see him wanting it that much when he can just wait one more season.

Old
02-24-2011, 08:35 PM
ManhattanIsles

Having to wait another year for Petrov is fine, next year Nino and De hann will probably be on the NHL team and were actually starting to get tough to make the team. Part of the rebuilding process is not just getting all the prospects to the NHL but some in the AHL so they can help when their are injuries and push the players in the big club. In 2 years we may have Petrov, Lee, Donovan, Cizikas, Gregoire, Kessel, Trivino, Kabanoz, and Simms all battling for spots, That is going to be fun

Old
02-24-2011, 10:12 PM
BelovedIsles

Send a message via AIM to BelovedIsles
^Not to mention, '11 first rounder.

Old
02-25-2011, 02:20 AM
Alessandro Seren Rosso
Hockey's Future Staff

Send a message via ICQ to Alessandro Seren Rosso Send a message via MSN to Alessandro Seren Rosso
Quote:

Bridgeport bound..
My god lol. Sincerly, you don't know what you're talking about. Petrov this year has been Team Russia bound.

02-25-2011, 08:26 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
My god lol. Sincerly, you don't know what you're talking about. Petrov this year has been Team Russia bound.
Do you think we'll see him in Slovakia?

Old
02-25-2011, 12:06 PM
petrocelli
I love the Draft!!

Quote:
I will not pretend to have seen any of Petrov's games in the KHL this year. I am strictly going by the stat line and what I hear/read on different discussion boards...

If you have access to watching Petrov play, and could add something to this discussion on Petrov's play, that maybe the stats don't show, why don't you do that instead of just making useless comments about me not knowing what I'm talking about....

All I said was Petrov isn't scoring in the KHL (that is pretty much a fact if you read the stat sheet) and I said if he isn't scoring in the KHL, why would anyone think he would make an impact in the NHL next year??... That's all I said, and it's a fair question... I did NOT say he would never be a good NHL player, I said I didn't think he would be ready next year... He has 19 points with his KHL club in 44 games and the majority of those points came in the first 10 games with that team as he got off to a very fast start after he was traded... Hardly any points in the last 30-35 games...

I said he would be looking at a year in Bridgeport...

So since you are the expert on all things Petrov, what is it about his game this year that leads you to believe he is NHL ready??

44 games 8 goals 11 assists 19 points

Old
02-25-2011, 12:19 PM
NYI78

Quote:
I will not pretend to have seen any of Petrov's games in the KHL this year. I am strictly going by the stat line and what I hear/read on different discussion boards...

If you have access to watching Petrov play, and could add something to this discussion on Petrov's play, that maybe the stats don't show, why don't you do that instead of just making useless comments about me not knowing what I'm talking about....

All I said was Petrov isn't scoring in the KHL (that is pretty much a fact if you read the stat sheet) and I said if he isn't scoring in the KHL, why would anyone think he would make an impact in the NHL next year??... That's all I said, and it's a fair question... I did NOT say he would never be a good NHL player, I said I didn't think he would be ready next year... He has 19 points with his KHL club in 44 games and the majority of those points came in the first 10 games with that team as he got off to a very fast start after he was traded... Hardly any points in the last 30-35 games...

So since you are the expert on all things Petrov, what is it about his game this year that leads you to believe he is NHL ready??

datsyuk...20 points in 44 games his last year in russia...semin 10 points...fedorov 29 points...i can keep going..most prospects not named bure don't leed the khl in scoring when they are 19

Old
02-25-2011, 12:20 PM
bluechipbonzo

Quote:

These stats mean little.

Petrov was ready to play last year IMO, and the Islanders wanted him to stay to play this season.

If you got a chance to see him, you would understand why some feel he is NHL material.

A change of scenery did wonders for one Mike Grabner, to illustrate a point you are familiar with.

Petrov is the real deal...we have a blue-chip prospect here.

Old
02-25-2011, 02:21 PM
petrocelli
I love the Draft!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYI78 View Post
datsyuk...20 points in 44 games his last year in russia...semin 10 points...fedorov 29 points...i can keep going..most prospects not named bure don't leed the khl in scoring when they are 19
I wasn't looking for Petrov to lead the KHL in scoring... Nor do I think u have to score a ton of points in a professional league as a teenager to be a good prospect.. I simply was looking for someone that told me 'i know nothing' to explain to me why he expects Petrov to have an impact at the NHL level next year..

And as far as your comparison with Datsyuk/Semin not putting up points in the KHL as 18/19 years olds... not a great compatison since Petrov is a month away from his 21st birthday, in his 3rd or 4th KHL year already, and much more physically mature than those two players were at 19 years of age..

I am not knocking Petrov, just wanted to know WHY certain people think Petrov is ready next year, and instead of getting an explanation, people respond with insults or generic 'Petrov is great' remarks..

Old
02-25-2011, 04:49 PM
Brain Hemorrhage

Off-topic: Does anyone know if the KHL has Internet TV channel like the NHL Network, WHL Network, and OHL Network, etc. have through NeuLion? I already pay for those 3, and if I get a raise, I might be interested in paying for the KHL too... if only to see Petrov play. Awhile back someone on HF private messaged me and offered to exchange tapes (I wanted to watch former Isles prospect Igor Volkov), but I lost contact with him and he no longer has an account here.

I wish I had a job as an Isles bird dog :\

Old
02-25-2011, 04:54 PM
Brain Hemorrhage

Quote:
I wasn't looking for Petrov to lead the KHL in scoring... Nor do I think u have to score a ton of points in a professional league as a teenager to be a good prospect.. I simply was looking for someone that told me 'i know nothing' to explain to me why he expects Petrov to have an impact at the NHL level next year..

And as far as your comparison with Datsyuk/Semin not putting up points in the KHL as 18/19 years olds... not a great compatison since Petrov is a month away from his 21st birthday, in his 3rd or 4th KHL year already, and much more physically mature than those two players were at 19 years of age..

I am not knocking Petrov, just wanted to know WHY certain people think Petrov is ready next year, and instead of getting an explanation, people respond with insults or generic 'Petrov is great' remarks..
If you saw Petrov at prospect camp, it was very clear he was miles ahead of everyone else, including El Nino. Sure, he sat out of scrimmages, but the guy is a monster. He's strong on the puck like Yashin. At the very least he gives you a guy who can hang onto the puck in the offensive zone. Now, whether his strong stickhandling is accompanied with Georges Laracques hands or Alexei Yashin's, at the NHL level, is left unanswered. What I mean is, Laracques could hold onto the puck for 45 seconds but never do anything with it due to no playmaking/sniping skills.

Old
02-25-2011, 07:28 PM
mczerkawski21

On my way to ottawa. Listening to the Kingston v Oshawa game on the radio. DeHann just scored on a rip from the point on a 5 on 3 and is playing good. DeHart playing sound. Jenner had a good PK. He might be on our draft list for the annual late 1st trade up

Old
02-25-2011, 07:57 PM
Isles Enforcer

Send a message via AIM to Isles Enforcer Send a message via Yahoo to Isles Enforcer
Rhett Rak has two goals thus far in tonight's game against Manchester. The Tigers are down 1 goal in the third period.

Old
02-26-2011, 08:30 AM
ndgolden

Anders Lee scores 2 including 6th GWG in 3-2 road win for Notre Dame.

Notre Dame finishes their regular season tonight at Home and a win will clinch the CCHA Title for the Irish.

Lee now leads all D-1 Freshman in Goals with 21 and is second overall in pts with 40.
Lee is 2nd overall in College hockey with 6 GWG. Led USHL last year in GWG with 9.

Old
02-26-2011, 09:01 AM
bossy22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndgolden View Post
Anders Lee scores 2 including 6th GWG in 3-2 road win for Notre Dame.

Notre Dame finishes their regular season tonight at Home and a win will clinch the CCHA Title for the Irish.

Lee now leads all D-1 Freshman in Goals with 21 and is second overall in pts with 40.
Lee is 2nd overall in College hockey with 6 GWG. Led USHL last year in GWG with 9.
Hmmmmm.
Big, strong, athletic late bloomer with good numbers.
His GWG totals speak volumes on his upside as a real gamer.

Old
02-26-2011, 10:04 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

One of Rak's goals was apparently accredited to Colliton.

4-3 regulation loss for the Tigers.

Dunno if I'd call Lee a late bloomer. He doesn't even turn 21 until July 3rd, thus he was drafted at the age of 18, right?

There are plenty of NCAAers who are like 22-24 years old and first become scorers at that age. I guess I'd sooner call them late bloomers.

Old
02-26-2011, 10:08 AM
Sneekypete

I wonder if David Backes is a fair comparison to Anders Lee. I have only seen him play a couple times so I am wondering from anyone that has seen him more, who does he compare?

Old
02-26-2011, 11:08 AM
NYI78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brain Hemorrhage View Post
Off-topic: Does anyone know if the KHL has Internet TV channel like the NHL Network, WHL Network, and OHL Network, etc. have through NeuLion? I already pay for those 3, and if I get a raise, I might be interested in paying for the KHL too... if only to see Petrov play. Awhile back someone on HF private messaged me and offered to exchange tapes (I wanted to watch former Isles prospect Igor Volkov), but I lost contact with him and he no longer has an account here.

I wish I had a job as an Isles bird dog :\
espn3.com has khl games and the playofs

Old
02-26-2011, 11:09 AM
NYI78

Quote:

i got you..i'm just saying the point totals aren't alarming..i expect time in the ahl would be needed first

Old
02-26-2011, 11:11 AM
bossy22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
One of Rak's goals was apparently accredited to Colliton.

4-3 regulation loss for the Tigers.

Dunno if I'd call Lee a late bloomer. He doesn't even turn 21 until July 3rd, thus he was drafted at the age of 18, right?

There are plenty of NCAAers who are like 22-24 years old and first become scorers at that age. I guess I'd sooner call them late bloomers.
Nope. He was eligible in '08 but went undrafted and was only selected in the 6th round in 2009. Talent was never a question, rather the football vs. hockey scholarship debate. So I agree 'late bloomer' might not be the best descriptor in terms of progression, more chosing hockey full time over football.

Regardless, I'm drooling over his size, hockey sense and production.

Old
02-26-2011, 11:43 AM
ManhattanIsles

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossy22 View Post
Nope. He was eligible in '08 but went undrafted and was only selected in the 6th round in 2009. Talent was never a question, rather the football vs. hockey scholarship debate. So I agree 'late bloomer' might not be the best descriptor in terms of progression, more chosing hockey full time over football.

Regardless, I'm drooling over his size, hockey sense and production.
I wonder what he will do if he comes to prospect camp and does well. I would like him to stay at ND but how much more can he prove.

Old
02-26-2011, 11:57 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossy22 View Post
Nope. He was eligible in '08 but went undrafted and was only selected in the 6th round in 2009.
Ahhhhhh, draft-eligible a second time or not, he was still technically 18 (soon to be 19) when he got drafted in '09, unless I'm suffering from a mathematical brain fart.

I too am drooling. The kid is simply a winner.

It's a pedigree thing...

Old
02-26-2011, 03:55 PM
BillD

Just watched the future.

N. Dakota v Bemijdi St.
1st period: Brock Nelson to Jason Gregiore pp goal. Gregoire's 15th of the year.

Gergoire 9 game scoring streak, 8 goals 9 assists.

Closed Thread