HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Rumor Thread - Kings Rumor Mill XIII

Closed Thread

Old
02-25-2011, 06:33 PM
santiclaws

vCash: 500
This team is not a contender until our best players are the young guys - Kopitar, Johnson, Doughty. I'm not talking talent, I'm talking these guys being our best players game in and game out. They are not, currently. This team is still led by the likes of Mitchell and Williams. Until that changes, this team ain't going to do ****. There's a reason this team is fighting for its playoff life - and you seriously believe the addition of an Ales Hemsky would make it a Cup contender?

Old
02-25-2011, 06:34 PM
DAkings20
Kings can't score

Eklund:

Something up in LA. Source: "Tonight feels like the night LA makes their move." ...may be making a deal within their division.

So we can check off any trade happening tonight and any trade within the division

Old
02-25-2011, 06:35 PM
kingsfan25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live in the Now View Post
Contrary to everyone else I think an addition like Hemsky or a good forward would make us Cup contenders. Wholly dependent on what we give up of course. I think we underrate what impact our defense and goaltending can have in the postseason.
A playmaking winger of Hemsky's skill is exactly what that first line, and Kopitar in particular, needs to become a solid game-to-game scoring threat.

Not sure about Cup contenders, but provided this team finishes better than 8th, improving on last year's post-season is a very good possibility. I mean, hell, the West is by and large a crapshoot...if the chips fall the right way, why can't the Kings make it to the conference finals, picking up more invaluable experience for a future Cup run along the way?

I'm not saying DL should go for broke to bring in that top line winger, but there is definitely reason to load up the offense, whether you believe the team's SCF-calibre or not.

Old
02-25-2011, 06:40 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by santiclaws View Post
This team is not a contender until our best players are the young guys - Kopitar, Johnson, Doughty. I'm not talking talent, I'm talking these guys being our best players game in and game out. They are not, currently. This team is still led by the likes of Mitchell and Williams. Until that changes, this team ain't going to do ****. There's a reason this team is fighting for its playoff life - and you seriously believe the addition of an Ales Hemsky would make it a Cup contender?
You sir, have made the best argument yet for that side. The only... in fact.

But you are talking about an attitude. One I am not sure is buried within Kopitar. Johnson has that attitude and Doughty does as well. They exhibit it regularly, but they are young and prone to being stupid like most things young.

I also think that people confuse their terms. Cup contender is often confused as cup favorite. Hemsky doesn't make us a cup favorite. But putting pure offensive talent in the top 6 (assuming chemistry clicks, of course), makes us one of the teams who can do damage in the playoffs once we get there. Right now, we are missing a key weapon needed to do damage in the playoffs, regardless of how Kopi, DD and JJ play.

Old
02-25-2011, 06:40 PM
DryIslandBartender
KCCO

Adding Hemsky will make the Kings Cup contenders? I highly doubt the Kings will blow past Vancouver, Detroit to get to the finals because Hemsky is on the team.

It's pretty clear the Oilers are asking for the moon for Hemsky. They won't get it from the Kings, especially since we didn't make a run for Kovalchuk last year because the price was too steep with simmonds and prospects.

Old
02-25-2011, 06:44 PM
DryIslandBartender
KCCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by swany View Post
When you have a d like yours and a goalie as well you try to do something now to win, wait but crap happens Kopitar could get hurt and miss time or like us in our cup run the goalie gets run over and hurt, seeing the future is hard hindsight is 20/20. Go for it it might pan out. I don't know if just adding Hemsky gets you to the promised land but you have a better shot with him than without him.
If any of our key guys get hurt, then at least we have depth in the system to replace them and move forward with a younger team.

Worst thing the Kings can do is sell the store for Hemsky and Hemsky gets injured. It's a risk and I don't see the Kings making a move unless the Oilers bring down their asking price.

Old
02-25-2011, 06:45 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerniernextRoy View Post
I highly doubt the Kings will blow past Vancouver, Detroit to get to the finals because Hemsky is on the team.
I must have forgotten the part where the teams who lead the conference always make it to the cup finals.

Old
02-25-2011, 06:45 PM
johnjm22

In the playoffs, I like our chances against any team in the west EXCEPT Phoenix.

Quote:
But you are talking about an attitude. One I am not sure is buried within Kopitar. Johnson has that attitude and Doughty does as well. They exhibit it regularly, but they are young and prone to being stupid like most things young.
Johnson's attitude is much closer to Kopitar's than it is to Doughty's.

Old
02-25-2011, 06:46 PM
DIEHARD the King fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
This team is much closer to being a contender then people realize. When you have rock solid D and goaltending, you can beat anyone.

You could argue we're a good PP away from being a contender right now.
I would, that and a bit more dynamic offense.

Last edited by DIEHARD the King fan: 02-25-2011 at 06:52 PM.
Old
02-25-2011, 06:46 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
Johnson's attitude is much closer to Kopitar's than it is to Doughty's.
Explain.

I think JJ has the winner's attitude and competitors spirit that we often don't see from Kopi.

Old
02-25-2011, 06:48 PM
DryIslandBartender
KCCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
I must have forgotten the part where the teams who lead the conference always make it to the cup finals.
What place was Chicago in last year?

Old
02-25-2011, 06:49 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

I think its easy to see why some of us feel that we just aren't quite there yet.

If you look at us from position to position it isn't that hard.

Time gives our uber talented young kids a chance to get NHL experience let alone the opportunity to get a little playoff experience as well.

in goal we have

JB who is in his first year and has steadily improved but even then he is 22yo as our back up.
Our Starting goalie is ready but is still 24 years old.

Doughty is 21
JJ just turned 24 less than a month ago and is just now starting to enter into his prime.
Martinez is in his rookie year.
Lewis is a rookie.
Clifford is a rookie who just turned 20.

I mean, if you look at our entire line up and where our needs are I just can't see where adding one top 6 player is any more important than what is going to happen regardless of what we do and that is allowing for our young players to develop.

It isn't an issue of wanting to hoard prospects nor is it an issue of wanting to play it safe, its an issue of wanting to get the best value possible for our coveted assets and also being realistic about where we are in our teams development.

Are we going to be better or closer to winning a cup next year if we add Schenn Loktionov and one of Vey or Toffoli or Kozun? I don't know but we will be more talented by a large margin.

Will we be closer to a cup today if we added Hemsky? Its possible but to me he while Hemsky is a solid add to any teams top 6 but is he the speed sniper that we desperately need?

I am trying to do a dozen things at once but my point is that there are simply some of us who can see that while we are close we aren't there yet and dealing away solid to potentially great young prospects that are on the cusp of making the team for oft injured more expensive options isn't likely to take us to the promised land any sooner than waiting for our own players to get experience and or develop could.

If we could add a significant top end talent and it cost us some of our assets and or a roster player or two that we can fill from within and that player fits in our cap then I don't care which of them it would take to do so, we should. But there are maybe 6 or 7 players in the entire NHL that I would count as being worth the gamble.

Old
02-25-2011, 06:52 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
What place was Chicago in last year?
What place was Philly?

Old
DIEHARD the King fan

I think many of you are overlooking the effect of getting a important player addition at the trade deadline on the sttitude of the team overall. Go listen to the Scuderi interview from this morning. He really made it seem like the team (Pittsburgh) got a big shot in the arm just from the fact that managmment went out and did something to help their chances. Its nice to know your managment believes enough in you that it will do whatever it takes to help put you over the top.

It must suck to think that they dont so they dont

Old
DAkings20
Kings can't score

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
What place was Philly?

Old
02-25-2011, 06:55 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Adding Hemsky will make the Kings Cup contenders? I highly doubt the Kings will blow past Vancouver, Detroit to get to the finals because Hemsky is on the team.

It's pretty clear the Oilers are asking for the moon for Hemsky. They won't get it from the Kings, especially since we didn't make a run for Kovalchuk last year because the price was too steep with simmonds and prospects.
And Hemsky has been playing very well lately which only puts Edmonton in an even better bargaining position.

Old
02-25-2011, 06:56 PM
Cruel11
Son, just don't.

DennisTFP:
Saving best for last or last for last? LAKings working real hard for a deal. May be something off current radar/usual suspects.

Old
02-25-2011, 06:57 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruel11 View Post
DennisTFP:
Saving best for last or last for last? LAKings working real hard for a deal. May be something off current radar/usual suspects.
It would be nice to see another Palffy-like deal come out of nowhere.

Old
02-25-2011, 06:57 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

How many teams in the league are allowed to be called cup contenders? Is it 2? 4 best teams? 6? 8?

Last edited by Live in the Now: 02-25-2011 at 07:19 PM. Reason: removed crap
Old
02-25-2011, 06:58 PM
Tadite

Quote:
DennisTFP:

AAARRGGGGG

Could be anyone according to that rumor.

Old
02-25-2011, 06:59 PM
DAkings20
Kings can't score

Quote:
DennisTFP:
Trade for Crosby, he's injured after all.

Do it Deano!

Old
Tadite

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
How many teams in the league are allowed to be called cup contenders? Is it 2? 4 best teams? 6? 8?

In another month it's going to be 16.

Old
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards

The more off the radar the better.

Old
02-25-2011, 07:00 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
Kings want Brent Gretzky.
Ahh yes, the highest scoring siblings in the history of the NHL!

Quote:
Are the Kings in the Eastern conference?
Come on now... I don't remember the stat but I'm almost positive that it is rare that a team wins the President's Trophy AND the Cup in the same year. Now I realize that Chicago didn't win the president's trophy last year but the point stands.

Old
02-25-2011, 07:01 PM
DAkings20
Kings can't score

Seriously though thats such a vague comment by TFP. Now they can take credit if any trade is made haha.

Closed Thread