HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Hemsky Similar to Kovalev? Agree or Disagree

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-25-2011, 07:18 PM
  #51
Jamin
Registered User
 
Jamin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 3,922
vCash: 500
[QUOTE=Raised Fist Republic;31228350]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Drama View Post
He is like Kovalev but to much less extreme's. He isn't as talented as Kovalev, players that have played with Alex claim that he's the most talented player ever. But he doesn't take as many nights off as Alex either. If I had a choice in there prime I would take Hemsky (I hope that's not too homerish) because the guy gives a more consistant effort. But don't let the stats fool you, Hemsky has a lot of nights where he pouts and doesn't bring it. This kid is capable of being a 90-100 point player. I know there has been speculation by those a lot closer to the team than I am that he spends more time on the IR then he needs to.[/QUOTE]

Stange. Didn't we hear that he came back too soon from his groin tweak and exacerbated the injury in that Montreal game a ways back? Doesn't that contradict the bolded portion?

I would also add that Hemsky looked absolutely terrible his first 3 or so games back after returning from the concussion, I think it was stupid to allow him back after seeing how completely off he was.

I'm not buying it.
As someone who checks the oilers every day as well as reading the journal every morning I have never even heard a whisper of this

Jamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 07:20 PM
  #52
Jamin
Registered User
 
Jamin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 3,922
vCash: 500
[QUOTE=Johnny Drama;31232097]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raised Fist Republic View Post

Oh well then I guess you showed me. Might as well take offense to it right bud?
Since when is disagreeing with a rediculous rumour getting offended?

Jamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 07:26 PM
  #53
Zach and Slater
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Zach and Slater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,234
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmask83 View Post
LOL. Calgary writers need to stick to their own team. This is beyond stupid. Seriously Hemsky has a heart for once. Plus he shows up in big games. Unlike the Calgary flames players who choke year after year. Stick to year team morons.
The best way to handle people's opinions are to take it personally...

Zach and Slater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 07:27 PM
  #54
Zach and Slater
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Zach and Slater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,234
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamin View Post

Since when is disagreeing with a rediculous rumour getting offended?
I don't know what rediculous means. Is that some sort of apple? I think the word you are going for is ridiculous...and it's not a ridiculous rumour. I'm not Eklund putting this on my website and screaming it from the roof tops. I've been told by a few people that he doesn't have a great work ethic and has been known to take his time coming back from his injuries. Why is that so wrong?! Again even if that guy didn't get offended, YOU clearly did. I'm not asking you to agree with it and maybe the guys that have told me that are wrong. What difference does it make?


Last edited by Zach and Slater: 02-25-2011 at 07:34 PM.
Zach and Slater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 07:28 PM
  #55
puckfan13
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,584
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence Bailey View Post
There's another NHL player who Hemsky reminds me of in terms of style, production, and proclivity to be hurt: Martin Havlat. And I'm cool with that, Havlat is one hell of a player...

Hemsky: http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php?pid=55070

Havlat: http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php?pid=45133
I've thought this for a few years now and Hemsky is my favorite player in the league. Notice how in 2008/09 Havlat was the highest scorer on a team of Toews, Kane, Sharp, etc. It was because the young guns opened up the ice for him and more offensive talent gave him more room to operate. Thus, he had his best offensive season to date.

If we re-sign Hemsky, I could see that exact scenario happening here, Hall and Eberle opening up the ice for Hemsky to explode. I believe he could have the potential to put up around 85 pts over the course of a season in a situation like that while our young guns are blooming and causing problems.

People here are remarkably content to see Hemsky leave town, the kid grew up in this place. He's turned into a man from a 17 year old boy in front of our eyes, applause and (idiotic) chants of "shooooooooooot!!" You don't draft players like him and invest all that time to just shoo him away because we had a few high draft picks in recent years. The guy bleeds Oiler copper and blue. Edmonton is the only place he knows other than Pardubice. Not a lot of players are comfortable playing here, it's not something we should take for granted so easily.

puckfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 07:30 PM
  #56
Zach and Slater
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Zach and Slater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,234
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamin View Post
As someone who checks the oilers every day as well as reading the journal every morning I have never even heard a whisper of this
And as I said in another post I will stick to the 2 or 3 people that I know behind the scenes and trust there opinions on things. I'm not saying they're right or wrong, I'm just saying it. BTW, you've NEVER heard that Hemsky is the last player on the ice/first player off it when it comes to practice??? Come on bro, if you've read the papers every day then you would have heard this.

Zach and Slater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 07:31 PM
  #57
Oil_in_my_veins
Registered User
 
Oil_in_my_veins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Windsor, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 930
vCash: 500
I think it's realistic to say the Oilers are not going to get the value fans expect in return for Hemsky.

that being said I hope he's not traded. sign him long term and fill it with performance bonuses.

adding a #1 centre at the draft (and not Larsson) would balance the top 2 lines and Hemsky will flourish.

Oil_in_my_veins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 07:34 PM
  #58
puckfan13
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,584
vCash: 500
That aside, given Kovalev's recent (and well-documented) lack of interest and effort level in Ottawa (a well-covered Canadian market), this article just screams of baiting an angry reaction from Edmonton fans. Almost Damien Cox-esque in that regard. I've come to expect better from The Hat.

While there are comparisons to be made and certain similarities to be drawn between the players, which are apparent to any reasonable fan, Eric goes out of way to draw up similarities where they simply don't exist. The timing and coincidence of this article and Kovalev's lukewarm exit from Ottawa (along with the emotions his disinterested play inspired) are curious. Just screams of baiting his audience. Heard about this piece talked about on Gregor's show this afternoon so I guess Duhatschek got the reaction he wanted. Any real Oilers fan knows the truth, however.

puckfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 07:35 PM
  #59
Zach and Slater
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Zach and Slater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,234
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil_in_my_veins View Post
I think it's realistic to say the Oilers are not going to get the value fans expect in return for Hemsky.

that being said I hope he's not traded. sign him long term and fill it with performance bonuses.

adding a #1 centre at the draft (and not Larsson) would balance the top 2 lines and Hemsky will flourish.
Could be wrong here but I don't think you can do that with a player of Hemsky's age. ELC's you can and over 35 players I believe you can.

Zach and Slater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 07:52 PM
  #60
Jamin
Registered User
 
Jamin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 3,922
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Drama View Post
I don't know what rediculous means. Is that some sort of apple? I think the word you are going for is ridiculous...and it's not a ridiculous rumour. I'm not Eklund putting this on my website and screaming it from the roof tops. I've been told by a few people that he doesn't have a great work ethic and has been known to take his time coming back from his injuries. Why is that so wrong?! Again even if that guy didn't get offended, YOU clearly did. I'm not asking you to agree with it and maybe the guys that have told me that are wrong. What difference does it make?
No argument cue the comment on spelling.

Why is that so wrong? Because its not true, anyone following the team for even a season knows hemsky has a reputation for playing through pain, going to the tough areas. Renney even said this year he held hemsky back because he wanted to come back too early. I trust Renney over youre close friends.

The work ethic comment is at least based on truth because there has been rumblings about Hemsky not going all out in practice.

Again I still dont get the logic that replying to a post = getting offended

Youre not asking me to agree with it and even if their wrong what difference does it make? Im not sure if youre serious. Its an online message board created for discussing, if you say something I disagree with should I just nor reply because it doesnt make any difference or for fear of you thinking Im offended?

Jamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 07:53 PM
  #61
Jamin
Registered User
 
Jamin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 3,922
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Drama View Post
And as I said in another post I will stick to the 2 or 3 people that I know behind the scenes and trust there opinions on things. I'm not saying they're right or wrong, I'm just saying it. BTW, you've NEVER heard that Hemsky is the last player on the ice/first player off it when it comes to practice??? Come on bro, if you've read the papers every day then you would have heard this.
I addressed the practice comments in my post

Jamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 07:55 PM
  #62
Jamin
Registered User
 
Jamin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 3,922
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilsp1ll View Post
I've thought this for a few years now and Hemsky is my favorite player in the league. Notice how in 2008/09 Havlat was the highest scorer on a team of Toews, Kane, Sharp, etc. It was because the young guns opened up the ice for him and more offensive talent gave him more room to operate. Thus, he had his best offensive season to date.

If we re-sign Hemsky, I could see that exact scenario happening here, Hall and Eberle opening up the ice for Hemsky to explode. I believe he could have the potential to put up around 85 pts over the course of a season in a situation like that while our young guns are blooming and causing problems.

People here are remarkably content to see Hemsky leave town, the kid grew up in this place. He's turned into a man from a 17 year old boy in front of our eyes, applause and (idiotic) chants of "shooooooooooot!!" You don't draft players like him and invest all that time to just shoo him away because we had a few high draft picks in recent years. The guy bleeds Oiler copper and blue. Edmonton is the only place he knows other than Pardubice. Not a lot of players are comfortable playing here, it's not something we should take for granted so easily.
Ive been saying this since the summer when people wanted to trade him. Currently hemsky plays the tough minutes and is an out scorer. In a few years Hall and Eberle will be the dominant line getting the top defensive assignments. If Hemsky can perform well against top competition you have to think he would perfrom better against lesser players

Jamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 08:12 PM
  #63
oilinblood
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2,303
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamronGiles View Post
hemskys top end to his game will never be able to compare to kovalev, but hemsky brings it way more and has been in the clutch when the oilers were in the position to play for something.
I agree. Kovalev has been called one of the most talented players of all time if not THE TALENT. Gretzky, Mario and Messier have all mentioned his skill set as being beyond elite. The problem is that he never had the internal motivation to put it to use to be the best (typical russian in my opinion).
Hemsky on the other hand wants to win every shift. For most of his career he hasnt been handed much talent to help him. His style is that of a centre but from a wing position. He puts up a point a game and is far more consistent (has he even had a 5 game pointless streak in the last... 5 years?) than that article shows. FOr years he has been the biggest threat on the oilers and faced the toughest shut down lines and D pairings. In most cases he was the only threat opponents cared to recognize and got a full on assault from the punishing Ds who loved to board him and cheap shot. He never pulled up and never backed down...and never cried about a small slash on the wrist to give the puck up in a playoff game. In fact he took a severe check from behind by chelios, popped back up , went to the bench, got his wind, and went right back out to Chelios' side to take a pass from Samsonov and eliminate the redwings while smiling in poor chris' face. Thats something that Kovalev NEVER had... fire.

I am not a huge Hemsky fan... in fact i wanted him traded last off season for the Seguin pick, but this past year has shown me an even better Hemsky and one we will likely keep moving forward. He isnt holding on to the puck as long (likely because he has more talent around him now) and he is innitiating contact while also not staying along the boards for durations as much.

Hemsky will likely stay an oiler and im happy with that. as Tambi saiid... overpayments only will be considered. Hemmers an easy re-sign.


Last edited by oilinblood: 02-25-2011 at 08:23 PM.
oilinblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 08:24 PM
  #64
SephF
Thanks Smytty
 
SephF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,495
vCash: 500
Kovalev doesnt care about hockey at all. Hemsky does - big difference

SephF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 08:27 PM
  #65
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Narnia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,394
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
Originally Posted by bam83 View Post
Kovalev doesnt care about hockey at all. Hemsky does - big difference
Right. It's like if I compare and orange to an apple.

__________________
"He just ate up Robyn Regehr for dinner, a spectacular play by Hemsky, and Robyn Regehr has got doo doo all over his face" - Rod Phillips call on Hemsky's goal vs the Flames
Narnia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 08:49 PM
  #66
Eytinge
Registered User
 
Eytinge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 10,780
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narnia View Post
Right. It's like if I compare and orange to an apple.
...What if you did.

Eytinge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 08:57 PM
  #67
Perfect_Drug
Registered User
 
Perfect_Drug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 4,055
vCash: 500
I like apples.




(and that is my contribution to this thread).

Perfect_Drug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 09:23 PM
  #68
Zach and Slater
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Zach and Slater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,234
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamin View Post
No argument cue the comment on spelling.

Why is that so wrong? Because its not true, anyone following the team for even a season knows hemsky has a reputation for playing through pain, going to the tough areas. Renney even said this year he held hemsky back because he wanted to come back too early. I trust Renney over youre close friends.

The work ethic comment is at least based on truth because there has been rumblings about Hemsky not going all out in practice.

Again I still dont get the logic that replying to a post = getting offended

Youre not asking me to agree with it and even if their wrong what difference does it make? Im not sure if youre serious. Its an online message board created for discussing, if you say something I disagree with should I just nor reply because it doesnt make any difference or for fear of you thinking Im offended?
Because he's going to trash his players in the media? Ok. Weather my connections are right or wrong, maybe don't believe everything you read in the paper kid.

Zach and Slater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 10:10 PM
  #69
puckfan13
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,584
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Drama View Post
Because he's going to trash his players in the media? Ok. Weather my connections are right or wrong, maybe don't believe everything you read in the paper kid.
Haha sure you have connections buddy, it's why you're posting on HFBoards

puckfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 10:11 PM
  #70
Stiffler's Mom
Registered User
 
Stiffler's Mom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 527
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17Kurri View Post
I never trust a Calgary writer's comments on an Edmonton athlete.
Sometimes a different and less biased point of view needs to be written. I find that sometimes Edmonton writers and other media don't ask the hard questions because they are afraid to pissoff the Oilers management. It's ok to read an out of town writer's opinion and it is your choice whether you agree or disagree with a writers opinion. Its just good to see variety of opinion coming from people that don't tow the company line.

Stiffler's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 10:59 PM
  #71
thadd
Oil4Life
 
thadd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: China
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,927
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to thadd
Kovalev's level of laziness is matched only by how much is in love with himself. When he talks it's as if he's under the impression that the whole world is actually hanging off his every word.

I was laughing my ass off at the comment he made about liking to retire as a Hab no more than a week or two after signing with the Senators. I seriously wonder if his agent ever sleeps at night.

Nothing like Hemsky.

I think on a team loaded with talent Kovalev an an incredible player, but if he isn't on a loaded team he sit around thinking "well, if my team mates can't play as well as I can, why should I bother playing so well?"

Nothing like Hemsky at all.

Assuming Hemsky is able to play in the league for as long as Kovalev has, I refuse to believe that there will be any similarities to compare between these guys other than the fact that they're both European.

People say that Hemsky takes a night off every one in a while... I don't think that's the case. Players play through a lot of injuries and Hemsky is a pretty small guy and gets his nose dirty too often for his size. I think little bumps and bruises slow him. Unless he goes out and scores 90+ points next year(contract year), I refuse to believe he takes nights off.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 11:01 PM
  #72
thadd
Oil4Life
 
thadd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: China
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,927
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to thadd
Quote:
Originally Posted by bam83 View Post
Kovalev doesnt care about hockey at all. Hemsky does - big difference
Agreed.

The Rangers could've won the cup without Kovalev.

No way the Oilers would've made it to the finals without Hemsky.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 12:32 AM
  #73
SephF
Thanks Smytty
 
SephF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,495
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Drama View Post
you've NEVER heard that Hemsky is the last player on the ice/first player off it when it comes to practice??? Come on bro, if you've read the papers every day then you would have heard this.
Because the papers are such reliable sources of information... I've been to multiple practices and the whole team comes on the ice AT ONCE and gets off AT ONCE. Hemsky doesn't leave any sooner then anyone else. The rookies stay on the ice and collect the pucks after practice and Magnus stays out for a bit and practices his skating. I'm sick of these baseless bashes against a guy who's spent his whole career in Edmonton so far and never complains.

SephF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 12:33 AM
  #74
SephF
Thanks Smytty
 
SephF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,495
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
Agreed.

The Rangers could've won the cup without Kovalev.

No way the Oilers would've made it to the finals without Hemsky.
Kovalev had some huge games in that run, specifically during "The Messier Guarantee" I think he set up Mark for every goal he scored that night, it was a pretty impressive game by Kovalev and he never gets props for it -- but the problem is he only brings it once in a blue moon.

SephF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 01:03 AM
  #75
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Narnia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,394
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
Originally Posted by bam83 View Post
Because the papers are such reliable sources of information... I've been to multiple practices and the whole team comes on the ice AT ONCE and gets off AT ONCE. Hemsky doesn't leave any sooner then anyone else. The rookies stay on the ice and collect the pucks after practice and Magnus stays out for a bit and practices his skating. I'm sick of these baseless bashes against a guy who's spent his whole career in Edmonton so far and never complains.
Wasn't it Brownlee who started this baseless rumour about Hemsky.

Narnia is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:42 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.