HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

A Chemistry Lesson

Old
02-25-2011, 07:59 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

vCash: 500
A Chemistry Lesson

I normally can't stand the NBA but I just spent an uneventful night in the hospital with very limited access to the TV channels I usually watch. So that meant a lot of ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN5 and so on. I did see an interesting basketball story though that I think talks directly to the Rangers and their very special chemistry.

The Celtics traded their center Perkins to Oklahoma City (when did Oklahoma City get a team?) yesterday. I watched the player reaction before and after the game and then I watched them go through the motions against the Nuggets. This is a real old team but they were clearly shaken. I'll be curious to see how they regroup.

And then I remember what my friend Joe Watson told me many years ago. In 1976, the Flyers were gunning for a third straight Stanley Cup. At the trade deadline they traded original Flyer captain and all around great guy Ed Van Impe for a backup goaltender. Although Van Impe had been surpassed by other players, he was still a very valuable asset on and off the ice. The talent left was fine but the team never recovered off the ice.

The moral of this story is that the Rangers have something very special going right now. This is what Sather talked about doing years ago -- bringing in a talented group and letting them grow togther. Depend on each other, support each other and care for each other. And if Sather is going to make a trade, he has to be very careful not to lose that chemistry. I am all in for improving the team but I hope whatever happens in the next two days adds to that core and at a minimum does not subtract from or disrupt that chemistry. In this playstation/fantasy environment we live in today, I think that sometimes fans don't realize the incredible effect that what goes on off the ice has on what happens on the ice.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 08:16 PM
RangersFan

Send a message via AIM to RangersFan Send a message via MSN to RangersFan
yea but in that story the flyers were going for a 3rd straight cup meaning they already were contending and winning. our team is still missing many pieces from becoming a contender to begin with.

RangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 08:18 PM
TrollololBoyle

Chemistry doesn't exist.

When teams lose it isn't because they don't have 'good chemistry'. Winning creates 'chemistry'.

When we say certain centers don't have chemistry with Gaborik, that's absolute BS. Players need to know each other's game, is that chemistry? Nope.

TrollololBoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 08:59 PM
allstar3970

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsyukSOGoal View Post
Chemistry doesn't exist.

When teams lose it isn't because they don't have 'good chemistry'. Winning creates 'chemistry'.

When we say certain centers don't have chemistry with Gaborik, that's absolute BS. Players need to know each other's game, is that chemistry? Nope.
I can say its a little overstated at time, but to say it doesnt exist is insane to me. There's so many little things about somebody's game you can only learn and adapt to by playing with them, not to mention that different player types can mesh or clash depending on the combination.

allstar3970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 09:36 PM
92hatchattack

Someone has to say it. The Rangers appear to be a better team without Gaborik. Theres no worrying about "whos going to play with Gaborik this game" Everyone just goes out and does their job.

92hatchattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 09:44 PM
Machinehead
Hank, pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92hatchattack View Post
Someone has to say it. The Rangers appear to be a better team without Gaborik. Theres no worrying about "whos going to play with Gaborik this game" Everyone just goes out and does their job.
I've been saying it to the tv all season, just not in here cause it might create an ugly fight. But you're right, someone had to say it.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 10:38 PM
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron

Quote:
Chemistry doesn't exist.

That's ridiculous. Chemistry exists in every day life. Not just in sports.

John, Paul, George and Ringo had chemistry. Paul, Mick Jagger, Eddie Van Halen and Buddy Rich would be a mess. The talent is there but no chemistry.

Mr Atoz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 11:15 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
I normally can't stand the NBA but I just spent an uneventful night in the hospital with very limited access to the TV channels I usually watch. So that meant a lot of ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN5 and so on. I did see an interesting basketball story though that I think talks directly to the Rangers and their very special chemistry.

The Celtics traded their center Perkins to Oklahoma City (when did Oklahoma City get a team?) yesterday. I watched the player reaction before and after the game and then I watched them go through the motions against the Nuggets. This is a real old team but they were clearly shaken. I'll be curious to see how they regroup.

And then I remember what my friend Joe Watson told me many years ago. In 1976, the Flyers were gunning for a third straight Stanley Cup. At the trade deadline they traded original Flyer captain and all around great guy Ed Van Impe for a backup goaltender. Although Van Impe had been surpassed by other players, he was still a very valuable asset on and off the ice. The talent left was fine but the team never recovered off the ice.

The moral of this story is that the Rangers have something very special going right now. This is what Sather talked about doing years ago -- bringing in a talented group and letting them grow togther. Depend on each other, support each other and care for each other. And if Sather is going to make a trade, he has to be very careful not to lose that chemistry. I am all in for improving the team but I hope whatever happens in the next two days adds to that core and at a minimum does not subtract from or disrupt that chemistry. In this playstation/fantasy environment we live in today, I think that sometimes fans don't realize the incredible effect that what goes on off the ice has on what happens on the ice.
That right there is the problem. When he actually brings in a talented group, then this will be of concern.

Bottom line, we all know that the players here who actually deserve to be part of this "core" aren't going anywhere. The problem is that the core has a couple of huge holes, and that's because Sather didn't bring in nearly as talented a group as he talked about doing.

And I hope everything is all right with you or whoever you were in the hospital to visit.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 12:01 AM
SERE 24
LGR

We seem to play a bit better without Gabby, yes, and he doesn't seem to be a part of the team identity and developing "chemistry" that the OP is talking about. I'm not going to say more because it's been said by myself and others plenty of times, but I just don't think Gaborik FITS this NYR team. There's no question the team is lacking in high end offensive talent, but if I'm Sather and I am going to make some moves - whether it's now at the deadline, at the draft, over the summer or during the next season - I would be more apt to package Gaborik (figure out who can be packaged with him to maximize value without impacting the room too badly) than to move any of the core young guys like Dubinsky, Cally, AA, Stepan, Staal, Girardi, etc.

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 12:04 AM
SgroiBoy*
Lolslanders Fail

The problem is Staal. Hes out and we win 6-0. Trade Staal

SgroiBoy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 12:19 AM
chip chipperson*

we are not better without gabby.

chip chipperson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 12:24 AM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgroiBoy View Post
The problem is Staal. Hes out and we win 6-0. Trade Staal
Did you see that assist by Del Zotto? His stock is high! Trade him!

Jabroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 12:32 AM
chip chipperson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetterqvist24 View Post
We seem to play a bit better without Gabby, yes, and he doesn't seem to be a part of the team identity and developing "chemistry" that the OP is talking about. I'm not going to say more because it's been said by myself and others plenty of times, but I just don't think Gaborik FITS this NYR team. There's no question the team is lacking in high end offensive talent, but if I'm Sather and I am going to make some moves - whether it's now at the deadline, at the draft, over the summer or during the next season - I would be more apt to package Gaborik (figure out who can be packaged with him to maximize value without impacting the room too badly) than to move any of the core young guys like Dubinsky, Cally, AA, Stepan, Staal, Girardi, etc.
its not easy to move 7 mil a year. and shouldnt be done unless someone else is capable of scoring 80+ points

chip chipperson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 01:43 AM
HockeyBurd*

Quote:
This is what Sather talked about doing years ago -- bringing in a talented group
Did I miss something?

HockeyBurd* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 01:59 AM
Pizza

Quote:

Nice post.

Chemistry is a word that combines lots of elements. Things like character, loyalty, friendship, and even love. When chemistry happens strong bonds are created.

It's like magic. You feel like anything is possible.

Your friend Watson knew what he was talking about.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 05:08 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 145
Awards:
Quote:
Chemistry doesn't exist.

Well, that's pretty much what people mean when they discuss chemistry. Certain players understand other players' games, and can adjust. They work well together. Other players just don't mesh with each other.

"Chemistry," as some nebulous concept, is obviously BS. But chemistry in the sense that two guys understand each other and click? Of course.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 07:32 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

ahahahhaha

chemistry. its the other way of saying talent.

this team doesnt lack chemistry. it lacks good ole fashion talent.

that is all.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 09:35 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetterqvist24 View Post
I'm not going to say more because it's been said by myself and others plenty of times, but I just don't think Gaborik FITS this NYR team.
Not so much the whole team, probably more like the group he's played with for the bulk of the season. Prospal and Christensen are Gabby's complimentary players. As a trio, injuries have prevented them from showcasing their "chemistry" at all.

I do also think that this Ranger team matches up with that Caps team very well, on the ice and in their heads.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 09:49 AM
Canjo
AVA

sometimes, yes we do seem to play as well or better without gaborik, but its not because of what hes not bringing to the table in those games, its because when hes out everyone realizes that they need to step up, and they do. its the same reason we seem to to better with Biron, because everyone knows they dont have hank in there and step up their game because of it, not because biron is the better goalie. sometimes its easy to question gabby, but id rather have a potential 40 goal scorer in the lineup any given night than not. i mean, you've seen what he can do, even if he is having a sub-par season, hes our only really potent goal scorer, except boyle

Canjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 10:12 AM
Musto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Atoz View Post
That's ridiculous. Chemistry exists in every day life. Not just in sports.

John, Paul, George and Ringo had chemistry. Paul, Mick Jagger, Eddie Van Halen and Buddy Rich would be a mess. The talent is there but no chemistry.
You should be more careful about throwing the word talent around like that but I agree with your point. Talent must be complimentary to work effectively. Chemistry is a mysterious thing as it is not about players whose styles compliment each other's. There is the unseen factor of intuition, an internal and automatic knowing. It is, in fact, very rare and just because two or three players play very well together does not mean there is real "chemistry". It could just be complimentary talent.

Chemistry, to me, means that the combined result is something more than the sum of its parts.

Musto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 11:00 AM
JimmyStart*

Seriously people good christ you don't win as many games as we have without talent. It's like some of the posters think unless you score more than 60 every year you don't have talent it's such a lazy, stat driven perspective.

We have an uncommonly evenly balanced team with several rooks playing at a vet level and some soph's contributing too. There is no one overwhlemingly talented piece on this team (Gab failed to be that) but has anyone ever heard about the sum of its parts being greater than the whole? Describes this team to a tee.

I think this teams talent is less along the lines of a snipe and stick handle, the pretty stuff everyone loves, but this team has probably more talent than anyone when it comes to fighting, grit, throwing their bodies around with abandon. in essence sacrifice. A team that can sacrifice with the best of them wins and we've got that which is why quite a few people feel a special connection despite what will likely be a lack of a cup. Stinks some guys are so blinded by needing a cup and the piss poor past that they can't even see a good thing in front of 'em. But then again definitions of "good" are different and I have a feeling after so much losing and misery despite 94 people feel better being half empty and the only "good" is winning the cup...that's a sucky way to feel and it's gonna kill your enjoyment of hockey in general on this team.

When this team is off its game it struggles big time we just suffered through it and it's like clown school. But when it's on we dominate teams...good teams too. We simply don't have enough overwhelming talent to do it consistently enough for a 1 seed but the team has the character to do it consistently enough to win this year, let the young ins grow and hell the young-ins like step sauer and mcd are part of it aren;'t they? Could even consider dubs, cally, staal, girardi etc etc etc :

JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 11:32 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
ahahahhaha

chemistry. its the other way of saying talent.

this team doesnt lack chemistry. it lacks good ole fashion talent.

that is all.
Really? No talent?

What about our world class goaltender? Best young defense in hockey? Layers of depth and emerging stars like Callahan, Stepan and Staal.

Not having a league scoring leader does not mean we do not have talent here. I wish we have one or two more elite offensive talents. And I wish the one we had was having a better season. But saying there is no talent here is foollish.

The team has needs. So does every team in the league, possibly save Vancouver and Detroit. But if you add one more elite offensive talent (cough, Richards, Stasny) to this group without subtracting a cornerstone and get Gaborik going, the Rangers can play with any team in the league.,

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 11:13 AM
SERE 24
LGR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
Not so much the whole team, probably more like the group he's played with for the bulk of the season. Prospal and Christensen are Gabby's complimentary players. As a trio, injuries have prevented them from showcasing their "chemistry" at all.

I do also think that this Ranger team matches up with that Caps team very well, on the ice and in their heads.
Which means what when the odds of Prospal being re-signed are less than marginal and 99% of us don't have Christensen penciled into the lineup at all next year, and certainly not beyond that?

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote