HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Drew Stafford?

Closed Thread

Old
06-19-2005, 10:44 AM
Champ

vCash: 500
Drew Stafford?

Stafford can or cannot be a first line winger?

Old
06-19-2005, 10:59 AM
Rowley Birkin

From what i have heard, not. Unless he is being carried by other players.

We shoulda taken Meszaros And i said that at the time also. I was also pretty pissed off that was just missed out on Tukonen and Thelen with the previous two picks.

Old
06-19-2005, 11:18 AM
Tra La La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champ
Some top lines have a Guy with some skills, who does the corner work for the other guys.

John Tonnelli,Dave Taylor, Al Macadam,were these type players on top lines.

Old
06-19-2005, 11:41 AM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

I would love to see a Paille - Gausted - Stafford checking line in the future. That would be phenomenal, methinks. Gausted is no Peca, but I think Stafford/Ward are close. Paille isn't as nasty as VV, but is better offensively.

Old
07-01-2005, 07:25 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

I want to see a first line of Vanek-Crosby-Stafford.

Old
07-01-2005, 08:01 PM
Kruschiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob
Definatly.

Where have you been?

Old
07-01-2005, 08:06 PM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

Quote:
Alright, I suppose I would be up for that line, too, since you twisted my arm.

Old
07-02-2005, 06:13 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj@jj.com
Definatly.

Where have you been?
Work blocks the boards here and at home I have a 3yo and a 1yo, so that keeps my PC time to a minimum while I'm home.

My hockey posting has been pretty much limited to trying to keep the kiddies in line over at Sabres.com as I can still get there from work.

Old
07-02-2005, 06:15 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikeGiftingMan
Alright, I suppose I would be up for that line, too, since you twisted my arm.
Seriously though, I think that putting Stafford on a checking line would be a waste of his talents.

I want to see a checking line of the future that is something like Paille-Gaustad-Thorburn. Heck, I wouldn't mind it at all if the 4th line next season was perhaps Paille-Gaustad-Mair or Mair-Gaustad-Thorburn.

Old
07-02-2005, 08:14 AM
Tra La La

So what does the coming year hold for Stafford? Is He Ready to be an NHL regular? Another Year at UND? Rochester for a Year?

Old
07-02-2005, 10:39 AM
ajsonor

I think another year at UND. I just hope that he's not another Rasmussen. He should stay in school at least another year and learn to dominate more consistently. Because he is less of an offensive star, he should be brought along slowly. Buffalo tends to bring up guys, play them on the 3rd line when they are young and they get pidgeon-holed there for the rest of their career.

Old
07-02-2005, 06:29 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsonor
I think another year at UND. I just hope that he's not another Rasmussen. He should stay in school at least another year and learn to dominate more consistently. Because he is less of an offensive star, he should be brought along slowly. Buffalo tends to bring up guys, play them on the 3rd line when they are young and they get pidgeon-holed there for the rest of their career.
Stafford played well without Parise and Bochenski, so I believe any of the "he better not be another Bustmuffin" talk should stop until he makes the jump to the pros.

He didn't have Erik's big drop off in production once his really talented linemates left school.

Plus, Stafford was solid for Team USA at the WJCs and that really showed me that he was the real deal.

Old
07-02-2005, 06:45 PM
SwisshockeyAcademy

Stafford will be able to play it whichever way you want to play it. Excellent pick.

Old
07-02-2005, 07:01 PM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 1390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Champ
I don't see him becoming an NHL player, let alone a first liner. If he dropped out of college and wanted to turn pro, I'd tender him the absolute minimum offer in the hopes he wouldn't take it so the Sabres could get a high 2nd round comp pick.

Old
07-02-2005, 09:18 PM
ajsonor

Quote:

Plus, Stafford was solid for Team USA at the WJCs and that really showed me that he was the real deal.
Look up Rasmussen's WJC stats and you'll see that he was just as impressive at the same age.

Old
07-03-2005, 08:56 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsonor
Look up Rasmussen's WJC stats and you'll see that he was just as impressive at the same age.
Stats don't mean as much as the way Stafford played and the fact that he was viewed as the go to guy for this year's squad.

Plus, Stafford played a lot more physical game than Rasmussen did in 97 if the PIMs are any indicator.

And I don't remember Rasmussen playing through injury like Stafford did either.

Old
07-03-2005, 09:48 AM
Hobey Baker

Send a message via MSN to Hobey Baker
I have mixed reactions every time I see him play. One night he's the best player on the ice, but then there are times when he's hardly visible in the offensive end. Often he looks to make a pass when he just needs to fire a shot and follow it up. That's his game - he has plenty of speed but not the moves to jock an opposing defender.

To answer the initial thread question: no, I don't think he'll be a regular first line forward in the NHL. He plays with heart and determination, and I won't go as far as Buffaloed to say that he won't make the show, but I don't feel that he's shown enough offensively to warrant such a projection. He doesn't have the natural gifts like a Vanek; his production stems mostly from wheels and grinding it out. I can see a potentially serviceable 2nd liner/bona fide third liner in him. I won't be blown away if B'ed turned out to be correct, I'm just not ready to go there yet because the kid works too damn hard.

Old
07-03-2005, 06:11 PM
SwisshockeyAcademy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffaloed
I don't see him becoming an NHL player, let alone a first liner. If he dropped out of college and wanted to turn pro, I'd tender him the absolute minimum offer in the hopes he wouldn't take it so the Sabres could get a high 2nd round comp pick.
I'd be happy to see you throw him back in the pot.Not an NHL player? That is strong. We'll see.

Old
07-04-2005, 11:06 AM
Ruckus007
Said too much

I wasn't a fan of the Stafford pick originally. Now, a year later, I'm slightly less not a fan of it.

I liked what I saw of Stafford at WJCs, which is the only real time I got to see him play other than the first game of the Frozen Four. In fact, if you search you'll probably see me saying very nice things about him after the first game of the competition.

But, after further review, I'm still not a big fan. I don't really see what sets Stafford apart from the glut similar players in this organization. Maybe he has a better offensive skillz set than I've seen but outside of a pretty good wrist shot what does he have to offer over a Paille or Thorburn or MacArthur? He gets points through effort, which is great, but that's not what the Sabres need infused into their forward corps. I still wish they'd gone with a Radulov, Schremp or Wolski type or, more preferably, Meszaros.

And, if (when) the Sabres end up with Vanek and Crosby on the same line, for all I care they can put Vasili Bizyayev's ghost at right wing.

Old
07-23-2005, 07:34 AM
Tra La La

So should they make him an offer now?

Old
07-23-2005, 07:42 AM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

Send a message via AIM to JOHNBOY
Quote:
Originally Posted by invader Zim
So should they make him an offer now?
I'd say no, give him another year in college and then sign him next year and see if he can make the jump right to the NHL. Although Vaneks production this season will impact my choice later on, if Vanek has a great year, then i say put Drew in the minors for a year.

Old
07-23-2005, 09:25 AM
Hobey Baker

Send a message via MSN to Hobey Baker
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNBOY
I'd say no, give him another year in college and then sign him next year and see if he can make the jump right to the NHL. Although Vaneks production this season will impact my choice later on, if Vanek has a great year, then i say put Drew in the minors for a year.
IMO, Stafford will need to toil in the AHL no matter when he signs, partly based on the Sabres current forward crop. I'd be hesitant about having Vanek's production impacting your opinion of Stafford. The two are completely independent of one another - one with world-class offensive skills who could bag 40, and another with a speedy two-way game.

Old
07-23-2005, 03:11 PM
ImpressedDAHagent
Go sabres

I was more impressed with stafford then i thought i would be. However i noticed that once his center went down the line lacked cohesion. He was alot of fun to watch i just don't expect him to carry the first line. he reminds me of a US version of jp dumont. I like the tools he has and would like to get him playing with some skilled linemates. As soon as we passed on D my feeling was they were looking for a character set up guy for vanek.

I expect stafford to play into the future and hopefully we can get these two tied up for a long time. stafford plays with alot of expression and i think if the team got on a role it would show. let him stay in college and bring him up to the ahl the year after.. give him a two way deal with buffalo.

Old
07-23-2005, 06:58 PM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 1390
I don't think Stafford would get much quality ice time in the AHL. It would be pretty similar to when Novotny came over. He needs to work on his offense. His best opportunity to do that is to stay in school.

Old
07-23-2005, 07:25 PM
Hawerchuk10

I thought he played well in the world juniors. Then came the NCAA championships and I have to say his playing went down a little. He did not have a good final game. But he's young and like its been stated on this thread, he is a determined worker.

I don't think he can be a top line threat, but its early. I say stay at UND then try to go to the AHL with the Amerks. One more yr in college will be good then move up. He's probably 2-3 seasons away from making the Sabres.

Overall, I like the pick. Upside potential waiting.

Closed Thread