HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Weiss could go to the Leafs per Mckenzie

Old
02-25-2011, 10:44 PM
mcphllp
Dion @ 6.5=Discount

vCash: 500
i dont care about limiting our options in the summer, we're not getting richards

guess it is a good stop-gap, until maybe kadri or colborne turn into a number one

sign ehrhoff or pitkanen maybe

just not overly excited about weiss, could work with phil htouhg

mcphllp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 10:46 PM
FinlandPanther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace14 View Post
Weiss? On the Leafs!? YES PLEASE!!!

Loljk, Tallon can take the overrated underperforming awful draft picks Florida has made and shove em. The only player I'd want from Florida right now is Gudbranson, and I'm not even all that high on him anymore.
lol gudbranson will be better than schenn he has way more offensive potential and is even nastier. we have way better prospects than you at this point as well. all 3 we took this year are easily destroying your mediocre prospect pool.

FinlandPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 10:49 PM
Schennanigans
HFBoards Sponsor

I'm all for getting Weiss if it's not too much. But waiting until the off season may be the better move here.

I think the market for PMD has gone up with the Kaberle and Gogo deals for sure. So I could see why Burke has moved on from Liles, and I'm glad.

Schennanigans is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 10:51 PM
mcphllp
Dion @ 6.5=Discount

Those are some big words, saying Gud will be better than Schenn.

Schenn has turned into a real tank. Not a single leaf fan can complain about him.

Id put money on the Florida wanting to trade Gud straight up for Schenn and Burke laughing.

Old
02-25-2011, 10:54 PM
mcphllp
Dion @ 6.5=Discount

Kadri> any florida prospect, guess Gudbranson could be better, we'll see.

Colborne>Bjugstad or Howden.

Florida's prospect pool isn't that good.

Schenn>>>>>>>>>>>>Kulikov

Leafs are one of the youngest teams and are playing great.

Old
02-25-2011, 10:55 PM
mcphllp
Dion @ 6.5=Discount

when schenn is on the ice opposition forwards instantly become 50%

Old
NewFang

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanDream View Post
Come Monday I think Toronto gets Stephen Weiss from the Panthers, and Tallon gets a 2011 1st, 2011 2nd, and Kadri....maybe???? Just an idea, not sure what to offer, but I would imagine Tallon wanting a 1st and Kadri without a doubt.. That is a lot to part ways with for Weiss, but it could be worth it for the Leafs to get him if they continue to win and get close to the playoffs..

You're off your rocker. That's basically the same payment the leafs made for a 22 year old Phil Kessel.

NewFang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
mcphllp
Dion @ 6.5=Discount

...softer because they wilt at the thought of going into the corner with schenn

Old
02-25-2011, 10:56 PM
mcphllp
Dion @ 6.5=Discount

NewFang, your sarcasm detector must not be working because that's how I took that post.

Was that serious?

Old
02-25-2011, 10:57 PM
Canad93

Quote:
oh Lord, not another "Dreger said" post.

Dreger is garbage, dude is wrong much more then right.

The only man worth listening to as an "insider" is Bob Mckenzie, and when the man says Toronto is in talks with Florida for Weiss, I am going to believe that Weiss is on the table and close to being moved. Bobby Mac doesnt waste time with nonsense.

Come Monday I think Toronto gets Stephen Weiss from the Panthers, and Tallon gets a 2011 1st, 2011 2nd, and Kadri....maybe???? Just an idea, not sure what to offer, but I would imagine Tallon wanting a 1st and Kadri without a doubt.. That is a lot to part ways with for Weiss, but it could be worth it for the Leafs to get him if they continue to win and get close to the playoffs..
I hope this never, ever happens.

Canad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 10:58 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 6115
For the Leafs to trade for Weiss, first he has to want to go there, and the Panthers need to decide that they're out of it. 8 points out is subjective, and I know they sent a letter to their fans about how they need to purge the roster, but it's hard to throw in the towel when there's teams behind you who still think they can get in.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 11:00 PM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

Quote:
the continued overhyping of prospects that have proved nothing in the NHL continues...

Kadri could be great or he could bust, he is that type of player...if I could land a proven high end center in Weiss, I wouldnt think twice about parting ways with Kadri as you have no idea how long it will take before he makes an impact at the NHL level, or if he does at all.
Personally, I think he is too talented to bust (but there have been plenty others that became bust despite their talent). He is 20 years old, a rookie in AHL and is putting up PPG which is very good. The only issue with him is putting on some more weight and becoming stronger (and improving his defense), he should be ready by next year.

I would like to see the Leafs keep Kadri and continue developing their own players like they've done with Schenn and Kulemin (Reimer is doing great as well). However, I don't mind Kadri being traded if it's for a legit #1 center. Weiss is a very solid player but let's face it, he is second liner with a career high 61 points.

I don't think Weiss gets traded at all though. Florida lacks center depth and if they do decide to deal him, it may be something in the off-season.

Nasty Nazem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 11:01 PM
static80

The Fisher and Versteeg deals have set the market price.
Weiss isn't going to be cheap by any means. 2 first rounders most likely isn't going to get it done in my opinion, based on the current value being placed on roster players, especially one with the skill set of Weiss.

static80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 11:03 PM
Schennanigans
HFBoards Sponsor

Pretty stupid for Florida management to give a 27 year old who hasn't accomplished very much a no trade clause...

Schennanigans is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 11:04 PM
HappyGilmourr

Quote:
Originally Posted by static80 View Post
Weiss isn't going to be cheap by any means. 2 first rounders most likely isn't going to get it done in my opinion, based on the current value being placed on roster players, especially one with the skill set of Weiss.
Stastny or bust.

Wiess is defnitley an upgrade, don't get me wrong... but if we're over paying I don't want to over pay for mediorcracy again. We would just be 9th place again... or get our ***** kicked in the 1st round.

Stastny and Kessel would be lights out... I'd over pay for him, not Weiss.

HappyGilmourr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 11:05 PM
Ih8theislanders

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndMat View Post
I rather get matt stajan for free then give a first for weiss. But this is florida lets give them 3 firsts and they wont make the playoffs again for another 10 years
Oh the irony

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 11:07 PM
static80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bozak View Post
Stastny or bust.

Wiess is defnitley an upgrade, don't get me wrong... but if we're over paying I don't want to over pay for mediorcracy again. We would just be 9th place again... or get our ***** kicked in the 1st round.

I agree, if your going to overpay, aim high.

Old
02-25-2011, 11:08 PM
BLAME CANADA*
The Canucks did it

This is just TSN trying to get ratings for monday by baiting Leaf fans.

BLAME CANADA* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 11:09 PM
BLAME CANADA*
The Canucks did it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bozak View Post
Stastny or bust.

If Stastny is available Leafs should go all in. depending what AVS want.

BLAME CANADA* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 11:10 PM
mcphllp
Dion @ 6.5=Discount

Quote:
Originally Posted by static80 View Post
So if the fisher and versteeg deals have sent a precedent, why is weiss worth 2 1sts, when both were traded for 1 1st and a little bit more?

Guess he does have the extra year on his deal, and is slightly better than either.

I guess Id be ok if Burke traded both 1sts for Weiss. Yep, upon further thought I would be fine with it.

Old
02-25-2011, 11:11 PM
Antropovsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLeastOfTheBunch View Post
About to turn 27, currently on pace for about 55 points.

Yeah.....
I think that getting up in Sunny florida to play hockey would be difficult at times....add to the fact you play in an empty building, and ownership has never really managed to put together any sort of semblance of a competitive hockey team.

I think Weiss could be a 75 point player with Kessel and possibly Kulemin.

I'm not sure if I have alot of confidence in Grabovski & MacArthur's consistency, at least Weiss is consistent.

Antropovsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 11:12 PM
mcphllp
Dion @ 6.5=Discount

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaaaBob View Post
This is just TSN trying to get ratings for monday by baiting Leaf fans.
Ya, judging on the small sample size in this thread, leafs fans are dieing to get Weiss!

Old
02-25-2011, 11:13 PM
nally

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volcanologist View Post
This rumour doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Weiss is ok but not really the type of centre the Leafs need.
Haven't any of you figured it out yet? The leafs don't have the assets to trade for a top line center. And the only center that fills that hole in FA is Richards. So there is like what...a 15% that Toronto fills that need in the next year in a half.

You won't even listen to offers on Weiss. What an upgrade, and pretty much best available option. I'd like seeing Weiss set up Kessel instead of the garbage we have now.

Geez...I know he plays in Florida, but you guys are out to lunch on this guy.

nally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 11:17 PM
IcedCapp
You're wrong. :(

I would rather trade for a top line center now and worry about D in the summer. A lot of UFA Dmen coming up, but no realistic top line forwards. I think Weiss would be a major upgrade over what we have now, would give Kessel someone legit to play with, and I think we'd actually be able to legitimately compete for the 8th spot.

IcedCapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 11:20 PM
static80

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphllp View Post
So if the fisher and versteeg deals have sent a precedent, why is weiss worth 2 1sts, when both were traded for 1 1st and a little bit more?

Guess he does have the extra year on his deal, and is slightly better than either.

I guess Id be ok if Burke traded both 1sts for Weiss. Yep, upon further thought I would be fine with it.
Weiss plays the most cuvated position in hockey right now, Center.
Burke wants Weiss, he'll pay more than 2 first round draft picks for him, substantially more. This deadline market for marquee players is very expensive, and you are correct, his contract time and nice inexpensive price will factor in.

Like I said, it's just my opinion, but 2 first round picks aren't nearly enough this deadline for a guy like Weiss.

Other teams however, have the ability to give up key roster players, that would interest Tallon I'm sure, nice young NHL proven talent, that will most likely land Weiss with a combination of expensive picks. Just my opinion.