HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

How Much Would it Cost to Re-Sign Smid?

Old
02-25-2011, 03:03 PM
OilerOlli*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SerbianEagle View Post
Blum is not very young for a prospect, he is 3 years younger than Smid and to date has 2 NHL games.
Like our Future Top 4 guy Alex Plante who has all the tiem in the world to becoem ready for the NHL, and 2 years younger then ourprospect Jeff Petry who had a first look into the NHL a few weeks ago and is perhaps ready in 1 or 2 years.

I know good Defensemen are often at the age of 21 already in the NHL, but sometimes it takes a bit longer, especially when they are phyiscally not the toughest like Blum.

OilerOlli* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 03:08 PM
SerbianEagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerOlli View Post
Like our Future Top 4 guy Alex Plante who has all the tiem in the world to becoem ready for the NHL, and 2 years younger then ourprospect Jeff Petry who had a first look into the NHL a few weeks ago and is perhaps ready in 1 or 2 years.

I know good Defensemen are often at the age of 21 already in the NHL, but sometimes it takes a bit longer, especially when they are phyiscally not the toughest like Blum.
Tell that to everyone touting those two as 1st pairing guys... Petry can become a good offensive defenseman, while Plante will become a Alex Henry or a Chris Hajt rather than a shutdown type nhl dman.

I am not saying don't get Blum but, I'd sooner trade Gilbert for him than Smid. Gilbert for Blum +

Like others have said, we are lacking a Smid like dman and getting rid of him for another "all-in-one" guy won't really help.

SerbianEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 03:25 PM
OilerOlli*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerbianEagle View Post
Tell that to everyone touting those two as 1st pairing guys... Petry can become a good offensive defenseman, while Plante will become a Alex Henry or a Chris Hajt rather than a shutdown type nhl dman.

I am not saying don't get Blum but, I'd sooner trade Gilbert for him than Smid. Gilbert for Blum +

Like others have said, we are lacking a Smid like dman and getting rid of him for another "all-in-one" guy won't really help.
I would trade Gilbert rather than Smid, too.
The problem is that the interest for Gilbert is at zero with that horrible contract. If everybody wants to believe thatare not.
Smid should have his best years ahead of him, and I think he is a solid all around Defenseman. He didn't proceed than we hoped, but he is not that bad and can still learn.
I would only trade him if I would get a good offer. Blum for example would be interesting at least. I woudl think about it. Didn't see or read enough about Blum to have a clear opinion there.

OilerOlli* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 03:58 PM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukoner88 View Post
with all the rumoured interest, maybe someone will tender a juicy offer sheet that he signs
Look how much they need to offer for it to be out of our way. Would you trade him for anything less than a late 1st rounder? I wouldn't even go for that price. Thinking of the cost of the cap hit to match is disgusting.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 04:28 PM
JessikaLovejoy

I hope Smid stays. He's still a young guy and Dmen take longer to develop anyway. The Oilers have already invested a lot of time into him and he gives them something the organization is lacking, a tough, stay-at-home defenseman. The fact that Nashville recognizes him for a potential trade is also big because they historically have a good eye for their defense.

Also he seems to be a great teammate, and by all accounts is very coachable. And he seems to like Edmonton, and lets face it, there aren't too many like him.

Smid on trade talks: "I want to stay in Edmonton. I like the team, I like the city. I want to be part of the future here."

I hope a reasonable extension can be signed.

JessikaLovejoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 04:35 PM
yukoner88

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
Look how much they need to offer for it to be out of our way. Would you trade him for anything less than a late 1st rounder? I wouldn't even go for that price. Thinking of the cost of the cap hit to match is disgusting.
I was thinking more along the lines of the picks that would come along our way. If an offer sheet were to come and the oilers not match, it'd have to be 3mil plus. (unlikely i know, a team would have to be desparate, or have lots of pics n cap space). we'd get a 1st n 3rd rd pick coming our way.

yukoner88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 04:43 PM
oilfan09

Dallas Dave - Heard #Leafs had an offer in on Smid of the #Oilers. It was turned down. Nothing close yet, but #Leafs pushing many fronts on the back end.

oilfan09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 04:55 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilfan09 View Post
Dallas Dave - Heard #Leafs had an offer in on Smid of the #Oilers. It was turned down. Nothing close yet, but #Leafs pushing many fronts on the back end.
Made me lol.

Mr Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 11:00 PM
oilinblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMan View Post
I think he gets 1 year deals around 1.5/2 mil until he fully figures things out. An arbitrator wouldn't give him much more because his stats are pretty gawdy. I know everything isn't measured in stats but he really doesn't have much of a leg to stand on this year.
QFT. He doesnt deserve much more than a blue collar 10% raise.

oilinblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 11:06 PM
oilinblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerOlli View Post
I would trade Gilbert rather than Smid, too.
The problem is that the interest for Gilbert is at zero with that horrible contract. If everybody wants to believe thatare not.
Smid should have his best years ahead of him, and I think he is a solid all around Defenseman. He didn't proceed than we hoped, but he is not that bad and can still learn.
I would only trade him if I would get a good offer. Blum for example would be interesting at least. I woudl think about it. Didn't see or read enough about Blum to have a clear opinion there.
BINGO. Mind you one is a RHD the other LHD so they arent comparable BUT... the statement remains.

Offersheet Seabrook July 1st... 6yr X 6.5M(no chance they could match without giving away other players for free) and then trade Gilly if you want. personally i think Gilbert would be better as a 2nd pair dman but his contract is about 1mill too much for second pair. Petry will play third pair RHD for a while.

Whitney Seabrook
Smid Gilbert
Peckham Petry
Plante/MArcinin

oilinblood is offline   Reply With Quote