HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Zherdev

Old
02-25-2011, 08:11 AM
Ugene Malkin
GOING FOR DRUNK

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunar View Post
Cleared waivers. Now he's going to refuse to report to the minors and go back to the KHL.
What, and not take a free ride & his name on the cup, should they call him up for an injury during the playoffs?

If he does bolt, that would be the lowest of lows, and he doesn't even deserve a paycheck.

I'd pull a switch on his limousine driver when he went to leave for the airport. I'd have the driver conveniently leave him in the middle of nowhere, Like hundreds of miles from nowhere, take his phone, give him a bottle of water and a bag of peanuts from the limo, then tell him to start walking.

Ugene Malkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Martin View Post
What, and not take a free ride & his name on the cup, should they call him up for an injury during the playoffs?

If he does bolt, that would be the lowest of lows, and he doesn't even deserve a paycheck.

I'd pull a switch on his limousine driver when he went to leave for the airport. I'd have the driver conveniently leave him in the middle of nowhere, Like hundreds of miles from nowhere, take his phone, give him a bottle of water and a bag of peanuts from the limo, then tell him to start walking.
Pretty much what this drunk needs to happen so he can understand that he's not that good.

Hoping the Pens stay clear of this 1st class jerk. It goes way beyond a D3 hockey mind.

#66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 10:10 AM
Sidgeni Malkby

Quote:
Originally Posted by mynameistickle View Post
put him on re-entry someone will take him for half price
I think that is irrelevant. Zherdev is UFA..he had a 1 year $2M contract. His cap hit would be negligible for the rest of the season.

Well.....the Flyers did say they couldn't find him when they wanted him back in. Maybe the folks that were considering to pick him up couldn't find him either .

Sidgeni Malkby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 10:23 AM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milliardo View Post
To be fair, his TOI ist at over 12 minutes, that's between Mike Rupp and Max Talbot and he was mostly playing on the 3th or 4th line and not with Giroux and he still managed 15 goals.
He got lots of time with Giroux, Richards and Carter. His minutes were low because he hasn't played any special teams really. And sure 15 goals in nice but he has what 4 assists?:

Quote:
18.96% EV 17 CARTER,JEFF - 28 GIROUX,CLAUDE - 93 ZHERDEV,NIKOLAI
17.53% EV 15 NODL,ANDREAS - 18 RICHARDS,MIKE - 93 ZHERDEV,NIKOLAI
12.92% EV 17 CARTER,JEFF - 21 VAN RIEMSDYK,JAMES - 93 ZHERDEV,NIKOLAI
6.64% EV 18 RICHARDS,MIKE - 21 VAN RIEMSDYK,JAMES - 93 ZHERDEV,NIKOLAI
5.64% EV 28 GIROUX,CLAUDE - 21 VAN RIEMSDYK,JAMES - 93 ZHERDEV,NIKOLAI
5.05% EV 28 GIROUX,CLAUDE - 36 POWE,DARROLL - 93 ZHERDEV,NIKOLAI
4.85% EV 11 BETTS,BLAIR - 45 SHELLEY,JODY - 93 ZHERDEV,NIKOLAI
Source: Dobber Hockey

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 11:43 AM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by #66 View Post
Pretty much what this drunk needs to happen so he can understand that he's not that good.

Hoping the Pens stay clear of this 1st class jerk. It goes way beyond a D3 hockey mind.
I think this is the problem. He realizes how good he is, and good players tend to get chance after chance after chance. He's a lock for 20 goals the year he gets waived. Think about that...

It also speaks to how **** of a person he is. What team says, "You can take your 20 goals and hit the bricks."

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 11:51 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG32005 View Post
What team says, "You can take your 20 goals and hit the bricks."
Pens said that to Miro Satan when he had 20 goals. The numbers looked good on paper, but his play left a lot to be desired when you actually watched the games. Probably a similar thing with Zherdev.

Captain Hook is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 11:54 AM
wej20

Marco Sturm is on waivers, injury prone but he'd be a pretty good fit system wise.

wej20 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 12:00 PM
Ugene Malkin
GOING FOR DRUNK

Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
Marco Sturm is on waivers, injury prone but he'd be a pretty good fit system wise.
Pass, he only played 17 games.

Ugene Malkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 12:31 PM
vecens24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
He got lots of time with Giroux, Richards and Carter. His minutes were low because he hasn't played any special teams really. And sure 15 goals in nice but he has what 4 assists?:

Source: Dobber Hockey
He has a solid 1 PP goal this year, so he has 14 ES G, whcih is 43rd in the NHL, same amount as Stastny, Marleau, Semin, Kessel, Penner, Setoguchi among others, in only 47 games played. I know he has his warts but the guy produces. And we could give him the ice time on the wing that the Flyers couldnt. I obviously would have gone for it as you can see by the fact I'm arguing for him haha.

vecens24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 12:41 PM
HandshakeLine
pro sports bettor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
Pens said that to Miro Satan when he had 20 goals. The numbers looked good on paper, but his play left a lot to be desired when you actually watched the games. Probably a similar thing with Zherdev.
Exactly. And yet, if I mention this, and people flip out.

The fact that Zherdev has such potential, and yet nobody wants to claim him, let alone trade for him, should be an enormous warning sign that something toxic is going on. I'm not so sure what's controversial about that.

HandshakeLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 12:44 PM
Karnage420

thing with satan is no matter how garbage he was in the regular season, that one play out of the box in the playoffs was worth every penny of his contract.

veteran players make it happen in the playoffs, zherdev does not fit veteran status or any other need. hes trash.

Karnage420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 12:45 PM
thejew09

It's a shame that Zherdev is such a ******. If he'd learn to use his size and actually backcheck once in a while, he'd be a great winger. He has the skill to put up 40 goals in a season, but he never will because of his lack of effort and poor attitude. I wish some coach or a team leader of some sort could change his attitude.

thejew09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 01:04 PM
cassius

Zherdev is the biggest waste of talent ever

cassius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 02:07 PM
Vegeta

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassius View Post
Zherdev is the biggest waste of talent ever
Nah i think we have that in Kovalev just he was so talented that he can still cruise through on a 0.8 ppg career pace. A motivated Kovalev would have had the potential to blow Jags out of the water. I'm not even joking, i truly believe that, and this is coming from a guy who has Jagr in his top 7 forward all time.

Vegeta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 02:09 PM
vecens24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Barrasso View Post
Nah i think we have that in Kovalev just he was so talented that he can still cruise through on a 0.8 ppg career pace. A motivated Kovalev would have had the potential to blow Jag out of the water. I'm not even joking, i truly believ that, and this is coming from a guy who has Jagr in his top 7 forward all time.
Kovalev still has nearly 450 career goals and over 1000 points. Zherdev is probably not going to be able to get an NHL contract next year. And he easily could be a star in this league in the Kovalev mold.

vecens24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 04:22 AM
Tender Rip
#Haz supa line mates

I still think it was ridiculous not putting in a claim for Zherdev, but at least with Kovalev being acquired right after, there was - sort of - a cap-explanation for it.

Would have been the easiest thing in the world making space for Zherdev too though. Losses making that space available? Redundant (however lovable) bottom 6 grunts who wont be on the team next year anyway.

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 10:29 AM
redsono93

I agree we should have given Zherdev a shot and still got Kovy. Playoffs if Sid comes back and next year lines.

Playoffs
Kunitz Crosby Kovy
Neal Staal Zherdev

Next year
Kunitz Crosby Kovy
Neal Malkin Zherdev
Cooke Staal TK

I still think we should go after Bergfors since we didn't grab Zherdev. He has great talent and I think he would fit well with us. He would be a better option then Zherdev. How much is Bergfors contract? Also how much is Chris Phillips contract? If we can't get all our forwards back build the defense to be such a pain to play against in the playoffs. Thanks as always

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tender Rip View Post
I still think it was ridiculous not putting in a claim for Zherdev, but at least with Kovalev being acquired right after, there was - sort of - a cap-explanation for it.

Would have been the easiest thing in the world making space for Zherdev too though. Losses making that space available? Redundant (however lovable) bottom 6 grunts who wont be on the team next year anyway.

redsono93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 10:55 AM
Levizk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tender Rip View Post

Not one NHL GM put in a claim for Zherdev, and these are guys whose jobs depend on winning. The Flyers are primed for a cup run and they decided that trying to get rid of him would benefit them in their quest more than keeping him around. I think it's safe to say that Zherdev is not the prospect people keep treating him as, so it's kind of silly to keep chasing after that dream.

Levizk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 11:32 AM
Darth Vitale
Dark Matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levizk View Post
Not one NHL GM put in a claim for Zherdev, and these are guys whose jobs depend on winning. The Flyers are primed for a cup run and they decided that trying to get rid of him would benefit them in their quest more than keeping him around. I think it's safe to say that Zherdev is not the prospect people keep treating him as, so it's kind of silly to keep chasing after that dream.
Exactly. He'll probably clear re-entry waivers too if they put him out there. He's not a prospect at all; he's simply not a very good NHL player even if he is very athletically gifted.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 11:48 AM
Tender Rip
#Haz supa line mates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levizk View Post
I cannot argue with the logic of it.
When I watch Zherdev however, I see a player who is just too good not to make real noise in the NHL again. Our situation is not like that of all other teams with a chance to take him either. Not in terms of existing options at wing (hard to find any teams with as little talent on wing), not in terms of centers who can help him produce, and not in terms of cap-space when it comes to contending teams/semi-realistic contenders (we had ample room).

That Philly didn't need him... well, they have a studly top9, and having Zherdev on the 4th line with little PP time is not an ideal situation at all. He is 12th in ice-time per game among Philly forwards. If we had Kovy playing on the 4th line with little PP time, he'd be a waste of space. Doesn't mean he will be in the role he is thought to have.

Again, Zherdev is a long shot. That's obvious. I just think he will make GM's eat it eventually.

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 11:50 AM
FDBluth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Barrasso View Post
Nah i think we have that in Kovalev just he was so talented that he can still cruise through on a 0.8 ppg career pace. A motivated Kovalev would have had the potential to blow Jags out of the water. I'm not even joking, i truly believe that, and this is coming from a guy who has Jagr in his top 7 forward all time.
No no no. Kovalev's doesn't have truly elite hockey IQ. It's good, but it's not up there with the best in the game. That's why he's never been an elite player. Just because he has slick skills doesn't mean he should have been one of the best players of all time. Jesus Christ.

FDBluth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 11:51 AM
hollywood42

On Zherdev

Nik Zherdev met with both coach Peter Laviolette and GM Paul Holmgren on FRI and he seems to have gotten an attitude adjustment.

Zherdev said he has a better understanding of what is expected of him and wants to remain on the NHL roster w/the Flyers. He also said - and this surprised all of us - that IF he were sent to the Phantoms on Monday, he would report.

hollywood42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 11:56 AM
UnderratedBrooks44

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood42 View Post
Nik Zherdev met with both coach Peter Laviolette and GM Paul Holmgren on FRI and he seems to have gotten an attitude adjustment.

Zherdev said he has a better understanding of what is expected of him and wants to remain on the NHL roster w/the Flyers. He also said - and this surprised all of us - that IF he were sent to the Phantoms on Monday, he would report.
I was just going to say I'm not sure it's a big surprise he would report to the Phantoms. It's not like a lot of teams where you're traveling a certain distance and taking up residence there for the rest of the year. The Phantoms are just down the road are they not? He doesn't have to make any adjustment other than putting on a different jersey. Why wouldn't he just play in the AHL, eff around down there, and collect the rest of his cash?

UnderratedBrooks44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 12:33 PM
hollywood42

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderratedBrooks44 View Post
I was just going to say I'm not sure it's a big surprise he would report to the Phantoms. It's not like a lot of teams where you're traveling a certain distance and taking up residence there for the rest of the year. The Phantoms are just down the road are they not? He doesn't have to make any adjustment other than putting on a different jersey. Why wouldn't he just play in the AHL, eff around down there, and collect the rest of his cash?
nah the phantoms relocated to upstate NY when the spectrum closed after 2009 so they are a distance

glenns falls ny

hollywood42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 03:30 PM
UnderratedBrooks44

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood42 View Post
nah the phantoms relocated to upstate NY when the spectrum closed after 2009 so they are a distance

glenns falls ny
Totally forgot about that, I stand corrected.

UnderratedBrooks44 is offline   Reply With Quote