HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Official 2011 Ottawa Senators Draft Thread Part IV

Closed Thread

Old
02-25-2011, 10:51 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

vCash: 50
Larsson>All

You never miss out on a potential Lidstrom...Never.

Old
02-25-2011, 11:06 PM
SENSational Sens Fan

vCash: 500
Go to http://www.senschirp.ca/ and see the poll on the right.

Old
02-25-2011, 11:15 PM
Bobby Blowhard

Weird. I googled the word redundant and this thread came up.

Old
02-25-2011, 11:23 PM
4thliner*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginKarlssonLehner View Post
Larsson>All

How many "potential" Lidstrom's are there?

Every nice swedish blue liner is called "potential Lidstrom"

While NONE that aren't swedish but highly talented are never compared.

weird. Almost makes me wanna say pass on Larsson.

They guy is good in his OWN right. Lets stop these stupid "you NEVER pass on Lidstrom"

He won't be one.

Old
02-25-2011, 11:33 PM
The Illusive Man
Head of Cerberus

1)Couturier/Landeskog
2)Larsson
3) RNH

Old
02-25-2011, 11:34 PM
PKC*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginKarlssonLehner View Post
Larsson>All

Every time a defenseman is within a fart of the top 5 of the draft he's the next Lidstrom.

These comparisons are starting to get ludicrous.

Old
02-25-2011, 11:40 PM
Bobby Blowhard

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thliner View Post

They guy is good in his OWN right. Lets stop these stupid "you NEVER pass on Lidstrom"

He won't be one.
I for one don't remember Hedman or Karlsson being touted as the next Lidstrom...

While I cant say I have watched a lot of Larson I trust those scouts that are drawing the comparisons have. Have you?

Top prospects are frequently compared to legends from their own country, its perfectly understandable imo. I would think it would be even more understandable if we weren't commenting as country men from the place that accounts for 75% of all prospects.

When it happens, who are you going to compare the next up and coming, pass first canadian point guard to?

Old
02-25-2011, 11:51 PM
OmniSens
@OmniSenators

vCash: 106
Send a message via Skype™ to OmniSens
Landeskog please

Old
02-25-2011, 11:56 PM
slapshot12phil

Larsson is obviously the best player available in this draft class. It isn't really even close. I make my pick with the assumption that if we have the 1st overall pick, that we trade down to number 2 or 3 and than use what we get in return to move Nashville's pick into the top 7 and grab Ryan Strome.

With that in mind I would take...
Sean Couturier
Ryan Nugent-Hopkins
Gabriel Landeskog

Centers are much more important then wingers. People are way too in love with Landeskog just because he is swedish and you think he can replace Alfie. Couturier and Hopkins are much better players. You take the best player available. Not the guy that fits your team needs.

Old
02-26-2011, 12:15 AM
Bobby Blowhard

Dont look now but Nashvilles first rounder is up to 15th overall and only 5 points clear of a top ten overall pick... yeah, they're also 5 points out of a bottom 7 pick.

NSH remaining schedule

@ Stars
vs. Columbus
@ Oilers
@ Canucks
@ Flames
@ Sharks
vs. Wild
vs. Avs
vs. Kings
vs. Bruins
vs. Red Wings
@ Sabres
vs. Oilers
vs. Ducks
vs. Stars
vs. Canucks
@ Avalanche
vs. Red Wings
vs. Thrashers
vs. Blue Jackets
@ Blues

21 games remaining
13 Home, 8 away
11 vs teams ahead or equal in standings
10 against teams behind in the standings

Pretty good schedule if your a Preds fan.

Last edited by Bobby Blowhard: 02-26-2011 at 12:29 AM.
Old
02-26-2011, 12:38 AM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

Larsson is BPA but Edmonton is too tanktastic to give him up.

I'll settle for any of Hopkins, Couturier or Landeskog at #2 or #3.

Nugent-Hopkins gives us our greatest need, in a dynamic offensive talent. He reminds me so much of Pavel Datsyuk.

Couturier gives us a future 1-2 punch that could perhaps go toe to toe with some of the big boys in the league. Everyone knows the need for strength down the middle in this league. Its a prerequisite to challenge for a championship. Couturier is big, mean, and very skilled. He could be another Getzlaf or Staal. Sean probably steps in next season as our 2nd line center.

Landeskog fills another huge organizational need in a top line goal scoring left winger. He's also a potential future leader and physical presence. He could bring Spezza back to being a 90+ point player while bringing a lot of toughness to the team that could help establish a new identity in Ottawa with guys like Cowen, Smith, and Gryba coming in the future. Lando could be a Swedish Brendan Morrow/Shane Doan.

Its a WIN/WIN/WIN. These guys are all great.

My preference would be RNH.

Old
02-26-2011, 04:08 AM
trentmccleary

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy The Sens Fan
Couturier with a goal in a 4-2 win over Lewiston.
and the first star
http://en.lhjmq.qc.ca/

as well as the first star of the week.
and the first star of the month.
and the highest PPG player in the Q.
and was the leading scorer last season.

He's been doing it consistently; every game, every week, every month for two years now... at both ends of the ice.

Nugent-Hopkins hot streak is over. He's put up 5 points in his last 7 games.

Landeskog is now going through somewhat of a hot streak (15pts/11gp). Though his hot streak is only bringing him close to Couturier's regular production (15pts/9gp) and Landeskog plays in a much more offensive league.

Old
02-26-2011, 05:20 AM
Caseus
squirrelly wrath

Quote:
Originally Posted by FolignoQuantumLeap View Post
I'll settle for any of Hopkins, Couturier or Landeskog at #2 or #3.
After reading some of the threads in the prospects forum I'm leaning towards Landeskog but all three sound great.

The idea of drafting a top-tier forward prospect gives me this strange feeling I haven't felt for a long time.... I think it's enthusiasm, but it may just be a head cold.

Old
02-26-2011, 07:31 AM
Minister of Offence

ALWAYS go with the prospect with the highest stats.

Old
02-26-2011, 07:36 AM
trentmccleary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
ALWAYS go with the prospect with the highest stats.
Worked for Gretzky, Lemieux, Lafontaine, Lindros, Crosby and Kane.

The top-4 is very tight. Couturier has vastly outproduced Landeskog in junior hockey and watching them both... I can't see any reason for that not to continue onto the next level.

Well, I suppose if Landeskog wound up on a line with Backstrom and Kane... and Couturier ended up stuck in Mats Sundin's hell with Renberg and Hoglund.

Old
02-26-2011, 07:47 AM
Minister of Offence

Your talking to a guy that would take Toews and Mike Richards over several guys that outscore them, over guys I would expect to outscore them every year.

This is the type of stuff that builds a winner...a guy that forces everyone to anti up to his intensity any time he's on the ice.

http://www.therecord.com/sports/arti...ngers-practice

Last edited by Minister of Offence: 02-26-2011 at 07:54 AM.
Old
02-26-2011, 07:50 AM
Penner getrdonebryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thliner View Post

He won't be one.
Dorion just watched this guy in Sweden and said that he brings an offensive game like Karlsson without taking much risks, in other words he's so much better defensively. I think it's a fair assessment on the guy , not crazy projections or anything.
If that's how they really feel about him, then yeah it's a good chance we pick him if he's available.

Give me Landeskog out of the top 3 forwards, his presence will be huge for a team who lacks identity

Old
02-26-2011, 07:55 AM
Cujomi
Toverij

Quote:
Originally Posted by trentmccleary View Post
http://en.lhjmq.qc.ca/

as well as the first star of the week.
and the first star of the month.
and the highest PPG player in the Q.
and was the leading scorer last season.

He's been doing it consistently; every game, every week, every month for two years now... at both ends of the ice.

Nugent-Hopkins hot streak is over. He's put up 5 points in his last 7 games.

Landeskog is now going through somewhat of a hot streak (15pts/11gp). Though his hot streak is only bringing him close to Couturier's regular production (15pts/9gp) and Landeskog plays in a much more offensive league.
In what world is the OHL a much more offensive league? Lando is scoring at pretty much the same pace he has all year. It's not a hot streak and aside from a slight edge in points Lando is better in every way.

Also Lando is clearly the better goalscorer...something that is very important.

Old
02-26-2011, 07:56 AM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPhoenixM View Post
In what world is the OHL a much more offensive league? Lando is scoring at pretty much the same pace he has all year. It's not a hot streak and aside from a slight edge in points Lando is better in every way.

I think when looking at stats goals is actually looked at being more important by "hockey people"

Old
02-26-2011, 08:28 AM
trentmccleary

Quote:
Your talking to a guy that would take Toews and Mike Richards over several guys that outscore them, over guys I would expect to outscore them every year.

This is the type of stuff that builds a winner...a guy that forces everyone to anti up to his intensity any time he's on the ice.

http://www.therecord.com/sports/arti...ngers-practice
This year... after they just met in the finals.
After the fad from last years playoffs and the one from the year before that and the one from the year before that.

Nobody's been extolling the virtues of Morrow and Doan as the missing piece of a Cup winner for the past decade.

"Leadership" and momentum are unpredictable. During Calgary's Cup run, Iginla had (staged) a fight in every single series and in their post-lockout 2006 1st round exit as well. After each successive fight, the team accomplished less and less.

Counting on a player to change the momentum on your team through physical play is highly unreliable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPhoenixM View Post

In this one?

OHL = 3.65 goals per game
QMJHL = 3.35 goals per game

Full season paces:
Couturier = 44 goals, 117 pts
Landeskog = 51 goals, 95 pts

Adjusted full season paces
Couturier = 44 goals, 117 pts
Landeskog = 46 goals, 87 pts

Last year, full season paces:
Couturier = 41 goals, 96 pts
Landeskog = 27 goals, 51 pts

.... and we don't even have any idea if Couturier is even at full strength yet.

Old
02-26-2011, 08:30 AM
slapshot12phil

Top End Centers are more valuable then top end wingers.

Old
02-26-2011, 08:34 AM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
This year... after they just met in the finals.
After the fad from last years playoffs and the one from the year before that and the one from the year before that.

Nobody's been extolling the virtues of Morrow and Doan as the missing piece of a Cup winner for the past decade.

"Leadership" and momentum are unpredictable. During Calgary's Cup run, Iginla had (staged) a fight in every single series and in their post-lockout 2006 1st round exit as well. After each successive fight, the team accomplished less and less.

Counting on a player to change the momentum on your team through physical play is highly unreliable.
It's not about physical play. I'd take Morrow now in his prime over other players that outscore him. I never felt like Vinny Lecavalier was a born leader that brought Tampa a Cup.

Toews will remain high on my list even if the Hawks miss the playoffs this year. It's about being a player that can draw on others to follow you and it appears that Landeskog is as high in that as a prospect has been since Toews was lauded as a future captain in 2006. There's a difference when you pick a guy that can not only be a future captain...but can be a captain at 24 years of age of younger, that's a special type of leadership quality to be placed in that position in a room with some 15 year vets. Whether right or wrong, I'm under the impression Landeskog may be capable of that responsibility at an early age.

Alfredsson's a player like that, always lacked it vocally though, he never won a Cup. And yup, you can find it later in the draft like we did with Alfie...but I'm not resting on those odds to find our next captain.

Old
02-26-2011, 08:59 AM
trentmccleary

Quote:
It's not about physical play. I'd take Morrow now in his prime over other players that outscore him. I never felt like Vinny Lecavalier was a born leader that brought Tampa a Cup.

Toews will remain high on my list even if the Hawks miss the playoffs this year. It's about being a player that can draw on others to follow you and it appears that Landeskog is as high in that as a prospect has been since Toews was lauded as a future captain in 2006. There's a difference when you pick a guy that can not only be a future captain...but can be a captain at 24 years of age of younger, that's a special type of leadership quality to be placed in that position in a room with some 15 year vets. Whether right or wrong, I'm under the impression Landeskog may be capable of that responsibility at an early age.
Chicago was ridiculously talented and spent $5M over the cap because of bonus money due on ELC's. My only prediction last season was that Chicago would make the SCF's... from October. They had one of the top offenses in the league and the best defense in the league. This wasn't some talentless, Cinderella team inspired to overachieve by great leadership. Chicago was a powerhouse that was winning all season long.

Quote:
Alfredsson's a player like that, always lacked it vocally though, he never won a Cup. And yup, you can find it later in the draft like we did with Alfie...but I'm not resting on those odds to find our next captain.
Alfredsson became captain because he led by example on the ice by never talking a shift off.

It had nothing to do with pulling a sword out of a stone.

Old
02-26-2011, 09:12 AM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Chicago was ridiculously talented and spent $5M over the cap because of bonus money due on ELC's. My only prediction last season was that Chicago would make the SCF's... from October. They had one of the top offenses in the league and the best defense in the league. This wasn't some talentless, Cinderella team inspired to overachieve by great leadership. Chicago was a powerhouse that was winning all season long.

Alfredsson became captain because he led by example on the ice by never talking a shift off.

It had nothing to do with pulling a sword out of a stone.
For some reason Chicago chose a 21 year old to lead that star-laden group. He ended up raising his game in the playoffs to a point where he won the Conn Smythe....leading that group. They addressed leader in 2006 and passed on players that you could expect would outscore him in the NHL, they won the Cup 3 years later. Kessel may be a more offensively talented player but when the stakes are raised he disappears, all I've seen from Toews is when the stakes are highest, he's the best. I tend to associate that with character.

And Landeskog appears to be a guy that won't ever take a shift off, won't back off after the whistle, and will be a vocal leader in the dressing room.

Old
02-26-2011, 09:22 AM
wilfred

If the standings stay where they are:
Oilers- Larsson
Ottawa- Landes/Cout/RNH
NYI- Landes/Cout/RNH
NJD- would they trade Landes/Cout/RNH for Rundblad? IMO NJ biggest need is a young PMD and Rundblad is NHL ready.
It would also work for the D next year on the right side:
Left side- Phillips/Kuba, Campoli, Cowen
Right side- Karlsson, Gonchar, Lee
extra- Carkner

The question is did Rundblad stock rise that much in the last year?

Closed Thread