HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Rumor Thread - Kings Rumor Mill XIII

Closed Thread

Old
02-26-2011, 11:36 AM
Orenji

vCash: 500
Lombardi waiving a defensemen? If he did that, he might kill our defensive depth!

Old
02-26-2011, 11:37 AM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Live in the Now View Post
Lombardi should've waived Harrold, not Sturm. Really no defending this at all. I didn't think Sturm would be picked up but there's no risk in waiving Harrold.
Really? A 20-goal scorer that can play on any line and is not a distraction in the locker room. I'm more suprised that he fell to Washington. I thought that a Western team would take a chance.

Smells like AEG is at it again.

Old
02-26-2011, 11:38 AM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live in the Now View Post
Lombardi should've waived Harrold, not Sturm. Really no defending this at all. I didn't think Sturm would be picked up but there's no risk in waiving Harrold.
He waived the guy he was more willing to lose. He was more willing to lose Sturm than Harrold... a decision that I'm sure will clarify itself 48 hours from now.

Obviously for today it leaves a mess, but none of this is about today.

Old
02-26-2011, 11:38 AM
KingsFan7824

Quote:
He was practicing on the first line yesterday.
What else would he do? He was still a King.

Quote:
I think Lombardi fully expected no one to claim him
Fully? If you put a guy on waivers, you don't fully expect anything specific to happen. Especially at this time of year.

Old
02-26-2011, 11:39 AM
tantrum4*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
Just shows how out of touch Lombardi is. I just wish he would tell the truth about the move. There was zero reason to do anything until a deal has been completed.

Every team gets a 24 hour grace period after a trade to get back to 23 roster players. The Kings have $18 million available cap space for a deadline deal.

The reason that Dean gave for the move are just lies. This is about the all mighty dollar again with AEG.
I doubt it. $875,000 isn't very "almighty"

Old
02-26-2011, 11:40 AM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

doom DOOM DOOOM!

jeeze

no sturm? there goes the cup.

Heaven forbid we wait until at least Monday pm to over react.

Old
Tadite

Quote:
Every team gets a 24 hour grace period after a trade to get back to 23 roster players. The Kings have $18 million available cap space for a deadline deal.

The reason that Dean gave for the move are just lies. This is about the all mighty dollar again with AEG.
Dude you need to reread. We dont have 18m in cap space!!!! We have spent 55m in salary and the cap is about 59!

Old
Knight of the Realm
Champs Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellz View Post
IMO, I think Lombardi knew Sturm was going to be claimed.
agreed, I honestly don't think Sturm will be at full health this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DP View Post
Welcome back Moller!!
Hope so!

Old
02-26-2011, 11:41 AM
Shellz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orenji View Post
He was practicing on the first line yesterday. I think Lombardi fully expected no one to claim him since he's a UFA after this season.

If Washington hadn't claimed him, I'm pretty sure he would have been cleared. Who else after them would need Sturm?
It still doesn't change my opinion. It doesn't really mater if he was practicing or not. I find it hard to believe he doesn't have a back up plan if Sturm did get picked up.

Old
02-26-2011, 11:42 AM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadite View Post
Dude you need to reread. We dont have 18m in cap space!!!! We have spent 55m in salary and the cap is about 59!
I think he's talking about pro-rated space for this season only. The Kings can take on a huge amount of salary for rental players for this season only. Nothing significant that carries over to next season though.

Old
02-26-2011, 11:46 AM
wabwat

Send a message via AIM to wabwat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellz View Post
It still doesn't change my opinion. It doesn't really mater if he was practicing or not. I find it hard to believe he doesn't have a back up plan if Sturm did get picked up.
this wouldn't be the first time he's tried to sneak a player through on waivers and gotten burned... Dean isn't infallible.

Old
02-26-2011, 11:48 AM
mustang0304

You guys hearing Hemsky to LA rumors down there? This rumor is running wild up here in Edmonton, Penner's name also comes up in the LA rumors.

Old
02-26-2011, 11:50 AM
Knight of the Realm
Champs Again!

Richie Kopi Simmonds
Smyth Stoll Brown
Clifford Handzus Williams
Westgarth Lewis Poni

Sturms absence isn't going to be missed all that much.

Sturm was a free shot at some offense. He wasn't what they wanted or expected so they moved on. Now the kings can bring up (Loktionov would have been the likely target) Moller or Cliche and hopefully sit Westy as an extra forward for the rest of the year. Parse will probably be a non-factor this year but he if does come back it makes Sturm redundent.

To me this move screams that LA is looking to add a forward here soon be it from manchester or trade.

Old
02-26-2011, 11:52 AM
Knight of the Realm
Champs Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang0304 View Post
You guys hearing Hemsky to LA rumors down there? This rumor is running wild up here in Edmonton, Penner's name also comes up in the LA rumors.
There is this really cool movie called Star Wars that just came out, opening scene will blow you away.

Old
02-26-2011, 11:54 AM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadite View Post
Any money that isn't spent is collected in a "bank" and you can "spend" it at the deadline or any other pro-rated time of the season. The Kings have "banked" over $18 million in "full season" cap hits. Sturm is an UFA and wouldn't have changed anything with next year's cap hit anyways.

No reason to lose him for nothing at this stage of the season, other than saving AEG some money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight of the Realm View Post
To me this move screams that LA is looking to add a forward here soon be it from manchester or trade.
Except you can add that player before waiving anyone. The CBA allows teams to be over the 23 man limit for 24 hours after a trade. Dean could have acquired his player and then waived anyone he wants. The Kings have an insane amount of cap space to add a player for this season and Sturm's cap hit would add much to this amount.

Old
02-26-2011, 12:00 PM
DeeMeck

vCash: 50
I wish I could sleep til Tuesday.

Old
02-26-2011, 12:03 PM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabwat View Post
this wouldn't be the first time he's tried to sneak a player through on waivers and gotten burned... Dean isn't infallible.
Players don't "sneak" through waivers. For $875,000 there was a 99.9% chance some team who is in the thick of the playoff race would claim him. Dean wasn't surprised by a sneak attack nor does he live in a GM vacuum where he doesn't expect players will be claimed.

Another shoe or two will drop come Monday.

Old
02-26-2011, 12:09 PM
wabwat

Send a message via AIM to wabwat
do you have a link to prove he wasn't surprised?

unless he comes out and says he knew the Capitals were going to claim him, it's equally safe to assume he blew this one... and it wasn't the first time he tried to SNEAK a player through and lost him.

Sturm has been anything but a sure thing, and that was evidenced by the price Dean had to pay to get him. so i am highly suspect of your probability number... even at that price.

why then wasn't the coach prescient enough to run through at least half a practice with another player on the 1st line in preparation for a 1:00PM game the following afternoon if these guys are so adept at hedging?

Old
02-26-2011, 12:18 PM
Josh Deitell
Hockey's Future Staff

I really don't think DL was trying to "sneak" Sturm through waivers. I have a feeling that Sturm is dealing with lingering injury issues and will not be healthy this season and the Kings decided to bail on him before he got hurt again. You don't put a guy on waivers unless you're willing to lose him and everyone knows that teams are loading up right now. We now have 22 players on the active roster and don't have to make a roster move if we add a player for futures, or two roster players if one is going the other way. We would've had to make a move like this anyway to free up space so I'm assuming DL is going to add multiple pieces.

Old
02-26-2011, 12:19 PM
Knight of the Realm
Champs Again!

Quote:
Except you can add that player before waiving anyone. The CBA allows teams to be over the 23 man limit for 24 hours after a trade. Dean could have acquired his player and then waived anyone he wants. The Kings have an insane amount of cap space to add a player for this season and Sturm's cap hit would add much to this amount.
IF LA adds one or two more players I think Sturm is the odd man out and in the press box is what I'm trying to say. I honestly prefer Richie over Sturm anyway. I think Sturm's injuries will limit him and his spot on the roster is better served by someone else. The timing doesn't really matter as the Kings can still have a full line up today. Loktionov hurts tho and that is probably the only real thing DL could not have taken into account.

Old
02-26-2011, 12:26 PM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabwat View Post
do you have a link to prove he wasn't surprised?
There's no link to common sense on the internet.

Come Monday it'll all be sorted out.

Old
02-26-2011, 12:28 PM
cneil99

I don't think DL was trying to sneak him through that doesn't make much sense. He clearly knew Sturm being claimed was possible but I doubt he'll lose any sleep over it. I don't think it's a big loss as he clearly is not 100%

Old
02-26-2011, 12:31 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
doom DOOM DOOOM!

jeeze

no sturm? there goes the cup.

Heaven forbid we wait until at least Monday pm to over react.
Damn, I had my lawn chair ready to go and my spot picked out on Chick Hearn Blvd.

Old
02-26-2011, 12:31 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Thanks for clarifying this. I asked this question a few times yesterday and nobody responded. This just compounds the head scratcher for me. Given the roster expands Monday, DL could have sent Martinez down for a few days if he really wanted to keep Sturm.

Old
02-26-2011, 12:35 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang0304 View Post
Ecklund has Hemsky to Phoenix as a E3 or E4 which means it's almost maybe might not happen, check back later.

Closed Thread