HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rob Schremp, Conklin, McElhinny, Leclaire, etc. waived

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-26-2011, 01:14 PM
  #51
dynastydays
Registered User
 
dynastydays's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. John's, Newfound
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,606
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
All the talent in the world, none of the drive to make himself a better player. I liked him and hope he can carve out a 2nd line career for himself, but not with us.

I was way wrong on him. Not "Hodgson will be the next Ron Francis" wrong, but right next to it. Easily one of my more boneheaded player opinions
No you made hodgson = Francis look tame.

You predicted a 1600 point career for Schremp. Basically you said Schremp = Joe Sakic.

dynastydays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 01:16 PM
  #52
CantHaveTkachev
not allowed!
 
CantHaveTkachev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: St. OILbert
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,209
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Mact never gave him a chance, so he really wouldnt know one way or the other. Im just glad he found his true calling as an analyst.
where in his play did he warrant a chance? MacT knew he was garbage...thus played only 7 NHL games as an Oiler

CantHaveTkachev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 01:17 PM
  #53
DangerMan
@danlizee
 
DangerMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,884
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazzy13 View Post
Could be an upgrade on SMac I guess, but where does he fit next season?
He could be just and extra forward much like Mac is this year. The thing with King is he has a little more "crazy" in him. A little more unpredictability.

DangerMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 01:21 PM
  #54
0ilerman
The King
 
0ilerman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Capital City
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,956
vCash: 500
if you can't stick around on the island...pack your bags and hit the K

0ilerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 01:26 PM
  #55
jumptheshark
the burn out
 
jumptheshark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: hf retirement home
Country: United Nations
Posts: 54,851
vCash: 182
The question is why have the nyi placed him on waivers. It is not like the nyi are barn burners.

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 01:26 PM
  #56
oilerbear
Registered User
 
oilerbear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,773
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DousedInOil View Post
TO should claim him and put him on a aline with kadri and Kessel next year. that would be the greatest HF board line in history!

oilerbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 01:29 PM
  #57
I am the Liquor
Registered User
 
I am the Liquor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,648
vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Dynasty View Post
where in his play did he warrant a chance? MacT knew he was garbage...thus played only 7 NHL games as an Oiler
You said yourself he only played seven games. How is that enough time to get a fair look? Mact knew Penner was garbage too I suppose. Everyone makes mistakes. Lets not play all high and mighty here. Maybe we should comb through your posting history and see where you went wrong and rub your nose in it for ten pages?

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 01:31 PM
  #58
VincenzosOil
Registered User
 
VincenzosOil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 765
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFiend View Post
The Difference with those guys are that they had the drive to improve their faults...I just don't get how guys can't admit they were wrong about certain prospects. I was certainly wrong about Jani Rita years back...
Yeah you may be right about his work ethic and drive. Still, I hope the light bulb goes on for him.

I was never a Schremp booster or fanboy. His NHL career or lack thereof is, imo, almost all on him. Whether its a lack of will or physical attributes(foot speed) or alleged attitude problems or a combination of the above, he had enough chances here and apparently with the NYI's, 2 of the worst teams over the years. That is a huge indictment on the kid and if he overcomes this, good on him.

VincenzosOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 01:31 PM
  #59
I am the Liquor
Registered User
 
I am the Liquor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,648
vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMan View Post
He could be just and extra forward much like Mac is this year. The thing with King is he has a little more "crazy" in him. A little more unpredictability.
King has had durability problems has he not?

Seems like he is always injured.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 01:33 PM
  #60
Seedling
Fan level 7?
 
Seedling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,889
vCash: 50
I foresee Europe in RBS' future.


Seedling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 01:41 PM
  #61
s7ark
Moderator
TheWorstEver
 
s7ark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,177
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynastydays View Post
No you made hodgson = Francis look tame.

You predicted a 1600 point career for Schremp. Basically you said Schremp = Joe Sakic.
1) I said Schremp had the upside of a 1300p player.
2) I extrapolated from stellar junior numbers in my younger prospect watching days. I assume you've never been wrong on a prospect hey?
3) Cody Hodgson has yet to have any kind of NHL career and Ron Francis is the 4th highest scoring player of all time(1798p). Who's more wrong?

PS - Did you notice the "if he works on his skating" part? He never did.

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 01:44 PM
  #62
Eytinge
Registered User
 
Eytinge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 10,780
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
No I didn't.

1) I said Schremp had the upside of a 1300p player.
2) I extrapolated from a stellar junior numbers in my younger prospect watching days. I assume you've never been wrong on a prospect hey?
3) Cody Hodgson has yet to have any kind of NHL career and Ron Francis is the 4th highest scoring player of all time(1798p). Who's more wrong?
Did you really say Schremp had the potential of a 1300 point players? Holy crap that's just insane. I wouldn't even say that about Taylor Hall.

Eytinge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 01:46 PM
  #63
s7ark
Moderator
TheWorstEver
 
s7ark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,177
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eytinge View Post
Did you really say Schremp had the potential of a 1300 point players? Holy crap that's just insane. I wouldn't even say that about Taylor Hall.
Yup, not one of my finer posts, but at the time Schremp was putting up some insane numbers. I accept I was wrong and moved on. Everyone is wrong on some prospects.

It's pretty funny to look at now though isn't it

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 01:53 PM
  #64
Oilerdiehard
Registered User
 
Oilerdiehard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Pennsylvania
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,459
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
1) I said Schremp had the upside of a 1300p player.
2) I extrapolated from stellar junior numbers in my younger prospect watching days. I assume you've never been wrong on a prospect hey?
3) Cody Hodgson has yet to have any kind of NHL career and Ron Francis is the 4th highest scoring player of all time(1798p). Who's more wrong?

PS - Did you notice the "if he works on his skating" part? He never did.
Who was the one back in the day that said he would score 600 goals in the NHL (probably was not you as lots of posters were throwing out some wild predictions back then). I vaguely recall some poster on here thinking that back in the day.

I know some did not like it at the time when I said he would I could see him being a regular NHLer but probably have a Ladislav Nagy type career (hovering in the 45 to 55+ point range year to year). I still think it could happen like that despite the waivers.

Oilerdiehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 01:55 PM
  #65
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 37,984
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Mact never gave him a chance, so he really wouldnt know one way or the other. Im just glad he found his true calling as an analyst.
C'mon.

With this you are indicating that MacT didn't have further insight on the player or that he hadn't seen him enough in training, practice, games, etc?

When Schremp was here I tried to keep an open mind.But when you see other players practicing on fundamentals and Robby spending 30mins honing his latest trick or trying to flip pucks in a pail its not hard to take note the player spends far too much time on the wrong things.

Additionally for a player that had difficulty with his skating he sure didn't push himself in skating drills. Watch him carefully and he's the guy cutting corners and slowing down any chance he gets.

I thought he did well in NYI for awhile but there were always basic things that were wrong in his approach to the game and that stopped him from improving.

Robbie would have been a useful player in the 70's. He doesn't have the kind of conditioning or dedication it takes to be an NHL player now.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 01:57 PM
  #66
Harrison
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,828
vCash: 500
Lets face it. We have all been wrong about prospects. 30 GM's currently in the NHL have been wrong before.

My claim to fame was touting Brule , jury still out I guess.

Harrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 01:58 PM
  #67
s7ark
Moderator
TheWorstEver
 
s7ark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,177
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynastydays View Post
s7ark, you were relentless in your hate for MacT for screwing Robbie. You said you could honestly see Schremp be a 600g 1300pt NHLer if he returned his skating to the level of his 2006 ability.

Now the day that Schremp hits the waiver wire, you're ragging some guy that made a Hodgson/Francis comparison....

You had that coming dude. For many many years.

Most people here werent around here back when you and BB were terrorizing these boards with Schremp cheerleading, so they mighnt get it...
I accept I have it coming and and not shying away at all. I don't hide from my previous stupid statements. I'm just pointing out that I'm sure every has some stupid posts in their history, and people in glass houses blah blah blah.

I still maintain that MacT didn't use Schremp well. Pouliot and JFJ got chance after chance no matter how they played but Schremp got 7 games. And Schremp's skating in the 2006 camp was better than I've ever seen it before or since. After we sent him back to juniours he put up 41p in his first 10 games and then eased up back into his crappy skating stance from which he's never recovered. But whatever, it's and old and irrelevant argument now and not worth rehashing.

And either way Hodgson = 1798p is worse than Schremp = 1300p. The only reason my post gets remembered is that ******* on CP who's used it as his sig for half a decade. Luckily no one cares about the opinions of people on CP.

So laugh away at my dumb post it it makes you feel smart. It won't bother me in the slightest.

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 01:58 PM
  #68
DisgruntledGoat
Registered User
 
DisgruntledGoat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 3,216
vCash: 500
Wait a minute. . .The New York Islanders just waived Rob Schremp and some Oiler fans are still complaining that MacT didn't give him a chance???

At what point can we just all admit that he sucks?

He was a slow, small, soft one-way junior star, and Edmonton blew a first-rounder on him. End of story.

DisgruntledGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 02:00 PM
  #69
Dorian2
Positional Bias.
 
Dorian2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,077
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
1) I said Schremp had the upside of a 1300p player.
2) I extrapolated from stellar junior numbers in my younger prospect watching days. I assume you've never been wrong on a prospect hey?
3) Cody Hodgson has yet to have any kind of NHL career and Ron Francis is the 4th highest scoring player of all time(1798p). Who's more wrong?

PS - Did you notice the "if he works on his skating" part? He never did.
Hey S7ark, you are totally entitled to your previous opinion about Shremp, and I do not see the need for you to have to try to vindicate your previous ideas. I'm not sure why certain posters (you know who you are) are calling you out for posts made at a different time, but I do not agree with those petty tactics. I don't usually butt into someone else's business, but if I were you I'd tell certain posters to f- themselves and find something better to do than rag on about a wrong call on a prospect.

Dorian2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 02:04 PM
  #70
s7ark
Moderator
TheWorstEver
 
s7ark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,177
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilerdiehard View Post
Who was the one back in the day that said he would score 600 goals in the NHL (probably was not you as lots of posters were throwing out some wild predictions back then). I vaguely recall some poster on here thinking that back in the day.

I know some did not like it at the time when I said he would I could see him being a regular NHLer but probably have a Ladislav Nagy type career (hovering in the 45 to 55+ point range year to year). I still think it could happen like that despite the waivers.
Oh no that was totally me. It's likely the stupidest thing I've ever posted on HF, but it was definitely me. I was probably one of those railing against those kinds of statements. I was much bigger on Schremp than I should have been and defended him a lot around here. Not my finest moment for sure, and I accept the lumps I have coming to me.

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 02:08 PM
  #71
I am the Liquor
Registered User
 
I am the Liquor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,648
vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
C'mon.

With this you are indicating that MacT didn't have further insight on the player or that he hadn't seen him enough in training, practice, games, etc?

When Schremp was here I tried to keep an open mind.But when you see other players practicing on fundamentals and Robby spending 30mins honing his latest trick or trying to flip pucks in a pail its not hard to take note the player spends far too much time on the wrong things.

Additionally for a player that had difficulty with his skating he sure didn't push himself in skating drills. Watch him carefully and he's the guy cutting corners and slowing down any chance he gets.

I thought he did well in NYI for awhile but there were always basic things that were wrong in his approach to the game and that stopped him from improving.

Robbie would have been a useful player in the 70's. He doesn't have the kind of conditioning or dedication it takes to be an NHL player now.
Robbie needs to produce offensively, because he has nothing else to offer. As soon as he isnt producing, he becomes a liability. Nothing more, nothing less. He is too slow and too small for the nhl. That said, there is no way anyone can argue that he got a fair shot here. Seven games in four years, for a player that led the ahl team in scoring as a rookie and a first round pick, when the nhl team wasnt worth a sniff and had problems scoring? Sorry but that's not good enough.

Mactavish's extended stay in the unemployment line when it is fairly apparent that he wants to stay active is hardly an endorsement.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 02:09 PM
  #72
Oilerdiehard
Registered User
 
Oilerdiehard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Pennsylvania
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,459
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
Oh no that was totally me. It's likely the stupidest thing I've ever posted on HF, but it was definitely me. I was probably one of those railing against those kinds of statements. I was much bigger on Schremp than I should have been and defended him a lot around here. Not my finest moment for sure, and I accept the lumps I have coming to me.
You know I respect you S7ark. My apologies if that was rubbing it in. I did not recall who said that goal prediction. I actually posted that in a way to show you were not the only one. Honestly you were not the only one. I recall Calder predictions being thrown around as well by some posters.

Oilerdiehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 02:09 PM
  #73
s7ark
Moderator
TheWorstEver
 
s7ark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,177
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian2 View Post
Hey S7ark, you are totally entitled to your previous opinion about Shremp, and I do not see the need for you to have to try to vindicate your previous ideas. I'm not sure why certain posters (you know who you are) are calling you out for posts made at a different time, but I do not agree with those petty tactics. I don't usually butt into someone else's business, but if I were you I'd tell certain posters to f- themselves and find something better to do than rag on about a wrong call on a prospect.
Thanks. I appreciate the support, but to be fair, I was pretty wrong on Schremp so if guys feel the need to get their digs in, so be it. I have been right and wrong in the past, and likely will continue to be so in the future. I've accepted it. I'm not some all knowing fountain of hockey prescience, I just like chatting hockey with like minded people

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilerdiehard View Post
You know I respect you S7ark. My apologies if that was rubbing it in. I did not recall who said that goal prediction. I actually posted that in a way to show you were not the only one. Honestly you were not the only one. I recall Calder predictions being thrown around as well by some posters.

Oh I didn't take it like that at all. I long ago stopped caring who brought up the Schremp = 1300p thing. Every now and again I get some nice PMs from Flame fans who read my quote on CP and like to try to rub it in. It's water off a duck's back by now.

You have always been a respectful poster, I bear you no animosity from bringing it up.

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 02:09 PM
  #74
OilerTyler
Fire Lowe
 
OilerTyler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,926
vCash: 50
The people who are pencilling Omark into the Oilers long term plans should take a look at what happened to Schremp, because they are similar players.

OilerTyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 02:13 PM
  #75
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 37,984
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Robbie needs to produce offensively, because he has nothing else to offer. As soon as he isnt producing, he becomes a liability. Nothing more, nothing less. He is too slow and too small for the nhl. That said, there is no way anyone can argue that he got a fair shot here. Seven games in four years, for a player that led the ahl team in scoring as a rookie and a first round pick, when the nhl team wasnt worth a sniff and had problems scoring? Sorry but that's not good enough.

Mactavish's extended stay in the unemployment line when it is fairly apparent that he wants to stay active is hardly an endorsement.
I'm not convinced Mact has wanted to be coaching over the last couple years. Speaking for myself if I had coached the Edmonton Oilers for 7seasons I don't know that I'd ever want to revisit the experience. I expect he will when the time comes.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:46 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.