HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Deadline

Closed Thread

Old
02-26-2011, 12:50 AM
topheavyhookjaw

vCash: 500
Honestly, I'm not as concerned about the 4th line as much. Even if its upgraded with Reasoner, I'm not convinced AV (or many NHL coaches) are playing him much instead of Sedin/Kesler/Malhotra. As the games get more important, the top 3 lines will play more, like 22 for the twins, Kesler at 20 and Malhotra at 18 on a lot of nights. It will be the top 9 + Glass for most games. And if there is an injury, McCormick or Winchester or Reasoner aren't going to shoulder those minutes that well to be honest.

Old
02-26-2011, 01:10 AM
Meganuck*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
According to Iain MacIntyre of the Sun, Mike Gillis has already kicked the tires on Marty Reasoner and found the asking price too high. The Canucks do not have a pressing need and there is no way young prospects will be traded.

Here is the latest from Gillis:
“Maybe we don't feel the compelling need,” Gillis said before retreating to the Canucks' war room on Friday. “Maybe there isn't a fit for us financially to make something happen. We have players coming back to our lineup that will take away cap space. It looks like we'll have all our defencemen back in time for the first game of the playoffs. If that's the case, we'll have a deep defence, good goaltending and a good forward group.

“We've had a very successful season to date. I've said from Day 1 we felt this was a good team. The things we did last summer were significant improvements on what we had here the previous two years.”
“Those are urban myths that are created by guys who don't have enough to say on programs,” Gillis fumed. “If you look at young players, we put so much time and effort into their development. And suddenly we're going to give them away when they're just starting to show signs of coming around? That's nonsensical to me.

“Cody's a young guy who's in our long-term plans and is going to be a very good player in this league and is working hard at his game. You can't ask for anything more.”
http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/J...#ixzz1F2oOoYXM
Thanks for that.

I'm guessing that the "speculation" by Macintyre that the return for Reasoner is a 2nd is insider knowledge?

Old
02-26-2011, 01:26 AM
AndyPipkin
PSN: Lord_Of_War

vCash: 341
So are AV and GMMG on the same page when it comes to the 4th line?

Old
02-26-2011, 01:37 AM
Jack Tripper
I Don't Even...

vCash: 625
man, wish i had a nickel for every time a reporter has used the term "kick the tires" this season

i think every gm has "kicked the tires" on every player in the league multiple times so far

Old
02-26-2011, 02:22 AM
Proto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Tripper View Post
man, wish i had a nickel for every time a reporter has used the term "kick the tires" this season

i think every gm has "kicked the tires" on every player in the league multiple times so far
If there are roughly 700 players in the NHL, and 30 GMs, you'd be looking at 21,000 kicked tires (nickels). You'd make a cool $1050.

Old
02-26-2011, 02:31 AM
David71

3 more days until the deadline i predict 30moves but most of them minor moves. some of them will us fans will think the prices are overpaid but may be in for a surprise or 2. i say 2 big moves to cap off deadline day.

Old
02-26-2011, 03:33 AM
PensFan6687

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Foot View Post
Yeah this guy is constantly giving game reviews of the Moose, we need more of that.

Any chance Mike Rupp could be moved?
I don't have the slightest clue. He's expendable just as much as any bottom of the barrel player, but it looks like Pittsburgh wants to still give it a shot with the recent pickups. Personally, without Sid the Kid, and having 9 injuries to our forwards, I don't like our chances. Is it bad if a fan predicts a first round exit of 5 games? I know, it's very pessimistic of me. Well, with a whole lot of dash of being realistic. I predicted a first round exit for the Moose last season in 6 against Hamilton and I am 1 for 1. lol What can I say, they were the 30 minute Moose. Half the game they were on, the other half they were sniffing each others jockstraps. I know, nice visual. I'm sorry. I'll waddle over to the corner now.

And I love you guys. I'll definitely be giving you more Moose player reviews. Just been so busy with school. I am stressed out.

Old
02-26-2011, 03:43 AM
monster_bertuzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by PensFan6687 View Post
I don't have the slightest clue. He's expendable just as much as any bottom of the barrel player, but it looks like Pittsburgh wants to still give it a shot with the recent pickups. Personally, without Sid the Kid, and having 9 injuries to our forwards, I don't like our chances. Is it bad if a fan predicts a first round exit of 5 games? I know, it's very pessimistic of me. Well, with a whole lot of dash of being realistic. I predicted a first round exit for the Moose last season in 6 against Hamilton and I am 1 for 1. lol What can I say, they were the 30 minute Moose. Half the game they were on, the other half they were sniffing each others jockstraps. I know, nice visual. I'm sorry. I'll waddle over to the corner now.

And I love you guys. I'll definitely be giving you more Moose player reviews. Just been so busy with school. I am stressed out.
Thanks for the Moose reviews...but we don't really give a flyin' **** about the Penguins in all honesty.

Last edited by monster_bertuzzi: 02-26-2011 at 03:49 AM.
Old
02-26-2011, 10:48 AM
putridgasbag
Grand Poohba

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
So if what you're saying is true why does Alain Vigneault continue to say they're not happy with what they've got out of the 4th line? Why would he say that about the league's best team? Maybe each roster spot is assessed separately? As it should be.

Yeah, I was wrong about pre-season all right. Just because the Canucks won 2 of their first 8 or 9 games doesn't mean they were ill prepared coming out of pre-season. It's normal for the best team in the league to play at that clip - as we've seen other streaks like that throughout the year by the Canucks. Or have we?

How many goals has Bill Sweatt scored since we started this conversation?
So Coach V doesn't like the make up of the 4th line when Hodgeson or Tambi is on it but you somehow think he will with Sweatt?!?!

The Guy is in his first pro season and for the first time played over 40 games in a season. Let him learn and adjust to playing a lot in the minors.

The Canucks aren't going to win or lose a series because Sweatt is playing less than 10 minutes a game.

Old
02-26-2011, 11:08 AM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by putridgasbag View Post
So Coach V doesn't like the make up of the 4th line when Hodgeson or Tambi is on it but you somehow think he will with Sweatt?!?!

The Guy is in his first pro season and for the first time played over 40 games in a season. Let him learn and adjust to playing a lot in the minors.

The Canucks aren't going to win or lose a series because Sweatt is playing less than 10 minutes a game.
Vigneault liked the makeup of his 4th line with Jannik Hansen on it. Maybe Sweatt steps in and fills the role left by Hansen when he shuffled up the lineup?

Before you move assets to fill these holes you should be getting a look at what you have within the organization first. It costs you nothing...

Sweatt is 22 years old, has 4 years of college hockey under his belt and close to 60 games as a pro - I wouldn't say it's too early in his development to get a taste of NHL action.

I'm still not seeing any downside for rewarding one of your top prospects for his solid play in Manitoba - especially when every other inferior warm body around him was given a look. After all, wasn't that what Mike Gillis said the 4th line was for?

Old
02-26-2011, 11:35 AM
putridgasbag
Grand Poohba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
Vigneault liked the makeup of his 4th line with Jannik Hansen on it. Maybe Sweatt steps in and fills the role left by Hansen when he shuffled up the lineup?

Before you move assets to fill these holes you should be getting a look at what you have within the organization first. It costs you nothing...

Sweatt is 22 years old, has 4 years of college hockey under his belt and close to 60 games as a pro - I wouldn't say it's too early in his development to get a taste of NHL action.

I'm still not seeing any downside for rewarding one of your top prospects for his solid play in Manitoba - especially when every other inferior warm body around him was given a look. After all, wasn't that what Mike Gillis said the 4th line was for?
It could be a simple as Gillis not thinking that Sweatt is ready to handle the NHL game or that the players that are currently on the roster fit the role better and cheaper, like Tambi. Is Sweatt going to be an upgrade to Tambi... I doubt it and Sweatt has a cap hit of $900,000/ with bonuses $1,200,000.

Old
02-26-2011, 11:44 AM
VanEric

Quote:
It could be a simple as Gillis not thinking that Sweatt is ready to handle the NHL game or that the players that are currently on the roster fit the role better and cheaper, like Tambi. Is Sweatt going to be an upgrade to Tambi... I doubt it and Sweatt has a cap hit of $900,000/ with bonuses $1,200,000.
Weren't they maxed out with Oberg up? And he just went back down so...that leaves tonight's game for Sweatt before the deadline. Giving him a one game audition wouldn't be fair.

Old
02-26-2011, 11:55 AM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
We'll never know. However if Bill Sweatt earns a roster spot out of camp next year it'll make you wonder if he could have helped us this season.

The prospects that have found success in Vancouver all have one thing in common - they're all excellent skaters. Considering Sweatt is Manitoba's best skater and one of their top forwards this season it really is a head scratcher why he didn't even get a 2 game audition, especially when you look at how much better he's been this season than a handful of guys that got recalled in his place. It's too bad he didn't have a fatter ass, that would have worked in his favour.

Old
02-26-2011, 11:59 AM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Cross Thorburn off the list. He just re-signed in Atlanta for 3 years, $2.6mil.

Old
02-26-2011, 12:00 PM
David71

oh darnit.

Old
02-26-2011, 12:09 PM
AndyPipkin
PSN: Lord_Of_War

vCash: 341
^ Saw that one coming. Winning makes any destination desirable.

Old
02-26-2011, 12:27 PM
Kickassguy

Send a message via ICQ to Kickassguy Send a message via MSN to Kickassguy
As per Ian Walker on Twitter:

Moose sign G Mike Mole to ATO.

Potential goalie moves, guarding against a Schneider trade and Lack being called up? Probably just precautionary.

Old
02-26-2011, 12:32 PM
David71

imacVanSun

Available space (about $635k capgeek)+Hodgson($875k)+SweattLTI($650k) would = $2.165M total spending room for Canucks.

Old
02-26-2011, 12:48 PM
Kickassguy

Send a message via ICQ to Kickassguy Send a message via MSN to Kickassguy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickassguy View Post
As per Ian Walker on Twitter:

Moose sign G Mike Mole to ATO.

Potential goalie moves, guarding against a Schneider trade and Lack being called up? Probably just precautionary.
Meltdown averted. Weiman has the flu.

Old
02-26-2011, 01:32 PM
David71

tambellini a healthy scratch for 3rd game in a row. trade bait?

Old
02-26-2011, 01:39 PM
Winroba
Keep Calm, Kassi On

Quote:
Originally Posted by David71 View Post
No value

McCabe was just moved to NYR for Kennedy + 3rd

Old
02-26-2011, 01:47 PM
Lowkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyPipkin View Post
^ Saw that one coming. Winning makes any destination desirable.
Thrashers? They are are 3-16 in their last 19 games and are well on their way to missing the playoffs again in a weak conference.

Old
02-26-2011, 01:51 PM
DreamCatcher*

Quote:
Originally Posted by David71 View Post
Nope, Gillis just doesn't sign free agents and trade away in the following season unless they request to.

Old
02-26-2011, 01:57 PM
hackey
You're Not Bored...

Rob Niedermayer

Age 36
Salary 1.15 on a One Year DEal

Good pedigree
Come on Home

One more kick at the can for him
Kinda sucks thou at 0 goals 12 assts, but has 5 centers ahead of him with more points in Buffalo
SC experience
Decent faceoff and shutdown skills
Perfect Nucks 4th line center

Would be expendable by the Sabres for a pick you would think

Old
02-26-2011, 01:58 PM
alternate

only interested in Rob N if it's for an Ellington level prospect.

Closed Thread