Notices

Red Sox/MLB 2011 Thread Pt. 1

Closed Thread

Old
02-21-2011, 02:01 PM
Twisted Tales
H.A.M.

vCash: 1004
I was thinking we should create a yahoo fantasy pool league. Too soon?

Old
02-21-2011, 03:48 PM
robert terwilliger
the bart, the

vCash: 500
if the giants win 96 games, as smithformeragent indicates, i will send him 10 american dollars. they won 92 games last year and that was with about 4 guys having great seasons.

Old
02-21-2011, 04:28 PM
ed bruin

OT: Ryan Westmoreland Red Sox Prospect

Mod you can move this to the Red Sox thread but I honestly felt this deserved a thread of it's own. Ryan Westmoreland a 20 year top prospect of the Red Sox took batting practice for the first time since March 16th 2010 after having surgery to remove a cavernous malformation in his brain stem.

Quote:
It’s been almost one year since Red Sox prospect Ryan Westmoreland underwent surgery on March 16 to remove a cavernous malformation on his brain stem.

His recovery is nothing short of miraculous, and the 20-year-old outfielder is back at spring training and has been taking on-field batting practice the last few days. He says he feels good.
great story i love this kid saw him down in Lowel before the injury hes gonna be a big time ball player

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/red-sox/post?id=8132

Old
02-21-2011, 04:46 PM
Guiledoom
Formerly JRull86

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed bruin View Post
Mod you can move this to the Red Sox thread but I honestly felt this deserved a thread of it's own. Ryan Westmoreland a 20 year top prospect of the Red Sox took batting practice for the first time since March 16th 2010 after having surgery to remove a cavernous malformation in his brain stem.

great story i love this kid saw him down in Lowel before the injury hes gonna be a big time ball player

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/red-sox/post?id=8132
Weird, I was actually trying to find some updates on him last night. Glad to see he's at least getting back to being able to do something he loves.

Old
02-21-2011, 04:59 PM
KillerKampfer*

If you want to see the Yanks or Cubs hope it is raining that day.

Craigslist is pathetic, I am sure noone will buy my tickets which are 20 bucks each below anythiung on SH but plenty of people on there put up bleachers for blue jays games for 50 bucks. Thankfully Im not at these peoples mercy for the Boston team I actually care about.

Take a few road trips to see them, all the brokers think theyll crush it this year even though tehy couldnt give away games last year.

Its disgusting to see bleachers so high if people were reasonable I would grab 5-10 games in the grand stand at face and only expect one game to be premium. Noones doing that this year. Only way to not get hosed is to buy the 85 face for 70-90 to not huge games fromm Ace ticket that day.

Old
02-21-2011, 05:02 PM
VeddarRants
HEART AND SOUL

If he hasn't already, Jon Lester will take the mantle as the best left handed pitcher in baseball this year. Bank on it.

Old
02-21-2011, 05:04 PM
smithformeragent

Send a message via AIM to smithformeragent
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeddarRants View Post
If he hasn't already, Jon Lester will take the mantle as the best left handed pitcher in baseball this year. Bank on it.
If you're a Red Sox fan, the Johan Santana non-trade has to be among the all time best moves

Old
02-21-2011, 05:13 PM
VeddarRants
HEART AND SOUL

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithformeragent View Post
If you're a Red Sox fan, the Johan Santana non-trade has to be among the all time best moves
Santana is still a very good pitcher, he's just had some injury problems the past couple of years. But Lester right now is entering his prime and flat out dominant. I haven't been this excited about seeing a Red Sox pitcher start a season since Pedro.

Old
02-21-2011, 05:26 PM
22Brad Park

Quote:
.My money still says Price.Lee and Sabathia r all better.find out soon though Vedder

Old
02-21-2011, 05:27 PM
Boston BROin
Marchand makes u mad

Send a message via AIM to Boston BROin Send a message via Yahoo to Boston BROin
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerKampfer View Post
If you want to see the Yanks or Cubs hope it is raining that day.

Craigslist is pathetic, I am sure noone will buy my tickets which are 20 bucks each below anythiung on SH but plenty of people on there put up bleachers for blue jays games for 50 bucks. Thankfully Im not at these peoples mercy for the Boston team I actually care about.

Take a few road trips to see them, all the brokers think theyll crush it this year even though tehy couldnt give away games last year.

Its disgusting to see bleachers so high if people were reasonable I would grab 5-10 games in the grand stand at face and only expect one game to be premium. Noones doing that this year. Only way to not get hosed is to buy the 85 face for 70-90 to not huge games fromm Ace ticket that day.
Call the Sox periodically a week and less from the date you want to go. Tickets will open up quite frequently when it gets closer to game time.

Old
02-21-2011, 05:30 PM
FutureConsiderations

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert terwilliger View Post
if the giants win 96 games, as smithformeragent indicates, i will send him 10 american dollars. they won 92 games last year and that was with about 4 guys having great seasons.
I said 90 just because their division is atrocious (the Dodgers are in a free-fall, the Padres lost Gonzo) and they have solid pitching.

Old
02-21-2011, 10:11 PM
Shaun
All Aboard

Quote:
Wasn't the deal Ellsbury, Lester and Buchholz for Santana?

Old
02-22-2011, 07:51 AM
smithformeragent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire View Post
Wasn't the deal Ellsbury, Lester and Buchholz for Santana?
Lester, Ellsbury, Lowrie, Bowden was the rumor

Old
02-22-2011, 11:43 AM
Causeway
Formerly Monti46

Send a message via AIM to Causeway Send a message via Skype™ to Causeway
Quote:
Lester, Ellsbury, Lowrie, Bowden was the rumor
I also remember every media outlet was all for it citing Johan Santana as "the best pitcher in the game"

How's that turned out for them?

But on a more debatable deal, would you have pulled the trigger on the Roy Halladay deal? It was like Buchholz, Lester and 4 prospects for him IIRC.

Old
02-22-2011, 11:50 AM
smithformeragent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montiverdi46 View Post
I also remember every media outlet was all for it citing Johan Santana as "the best pitcher in the game"

But on a more debatable deal, would you have pulled the trigger on the Roy Halladay deal? It was like Buchholz, Lester and 4 prospects for him IIRC.
If, I were the Red Sox, then no. They have a very good (potential ace), left handed #1A/#2 type pitcher in Lester and what looks to be at least a #3 (potentially better) guy in Buccholz.

As a fan of the game though, Halladay is my favorite player in the league so it would have been great to watch every game he pitches.

Old
02-22-2011, 11:59 AM
FutureConsiderations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montiverdi46 View Post

Halladay's a freaking buzzsaw of a pitcher. I'm 50/50 on that deal, it depends what the prospects were. If they were guys who never panned out and it came down to Buchholz & Lester... yeah maybe? Not saying I'm down on either guy because I think they're both irreplaceable as far as free agents go, but let's say they made that deal, then signed Teixeira and moved Youk to third. No, they don't get Adrian Gonzalez, but they'd have Kelly coming along the the system instead of Buchholz.

I'm happy with the way things turned out, but all the variables have tipped in Boston's favor with Lester and Buchholz progressing as they have. This could be an enormous year for Clay Buchholz - if he continues to improve on what he was last year, he'll emerge as one of the game's elite pitchers.

Old
02-22-2011, 12:06 PM
smithformeragent

I also just want to say how much I prefer the faster moving and lower scoring pace of National League baseball. I'm not one of these old fart purists either. I just think that the game takes too long as it is and am in favor of speeding it up. I think that the lower scoring also adds so much more importance to making the most of your opportunities and also adds to the strategy of when to lift the pitcher.

I know that this is a divisive topic so I'm interested to hear how people feel about it. I don't think there should be a place in the game for guys like Ortiz who can't field a position and gets paid to swing a bat.

Old
02-22-2011, 12:17 PM
FutureConsiderations

Quote:
I also just want to say how much I prefer the faster moving and lower scoring pace of National League baseball. I'm not one of these old fart purists either. I just think that the game takes too long as it is and am in favor of speeding it up. I think that the lower scoring also adds so much more importance to making the most of your opportunities and also adds to the strategy of when to lift the pitcher.

I know that this is a divisive topic so I'm interested to hear how people feel about it. I don't think there should be a place in the game for guys like Ortiz who can't field a position and gets paid to swing a bat.

The game absolutely needs to pick up the pace. I know the Yankees and Red Sox take the longest and I'm all for the players getting it right, but there's no need to be taking 15+ seconds between pitches. Why does a batter need to leave the box between pitches? Limit the catcher's mound visits and the number of timeouts that a player can call in a game while you're at it. Derek Jeter calls timeout for well over half the time he's at bat.

I love the Red Sox, but I prefer the NL style as well. It's a different game altogether.

Old
02-22-2011, 12:20 PM
smithformeragent

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureConsiderations View Post
The game absolutely needs to pick up the pace. I know the Yankees and Red Sox take the longest and I'm all for the players getting it right, but there's no need to be taking 15+ seconds between pitches. Why does a batter need to leave the box between pitches? Limit the catcher's mound visits and the number of timeouts that a player can call in a game while you're at it. Derek Jeter calls timeout for well over half the time he's at bat.

I love the Red Sox, but I prefer the NL style as well. It's a different game altogether.
I think that the league needs to realize that they're going to keep losing fans if they don't speed up the game. Casual fans don't care about baseball in other parts of the country. They like football because it's fast paced with lots of action. I'm hoping that the NHL can cash in on that factor, but I love a well pitched, fundamentally sound baseball game.

Old
02-22-2011, 12:30 PM
Shaun
All Aboard

Curt Young Red Sox pitching coach on Dale and Holley WEEI 850 any minute now. Heres the link
http://player.streamtheworld.com/_pl...layer/?id=WEEI

Old
02-22-2011, 02:10 PM
NoTouchIcing

Quote:
Just wanted to introduce myself to this thread, being a die hard Leafs and Sox fan.

To address this comment, I think he did last year. The guy has been a horse the last three years. Here's to hoping he gets off to a fast start until waiting until June to show up.

Old
02-22-2011, 02:11 PM
NoTouchIcing

Quote:
I think that the league needs to realize that they're going to keep losing fans if they don't speed up the game. Casual fans don't care about baseball in other parts of the country. They like football because it's fast paced with lots of action. I'm hoping that the NHL can cash in on that factor, but I love a well pitched, fundamentally sound baseball game.
It's too bad that the majority of fans don't. There is hardly better than a pitcher's duel between two aces.

Old
02-23-2011, 08:54 AM
Guiledoom
Formerly JRull86

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoTouchIcing View Post
It's too bad that the majority of fans don't. There is hardly better than a pitcher's duel between two aces.
Agreed.

Old
02-26-2011, 01:24 PM
Ivyy13
Resu Deretsiger

Youkilis smacks a 3 run shot already.

Sox up 3-0. Lol.

Old
02-26-2011, 01:35 PM
Confound
-Vindicated-