HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Steps hit on Green; Stepan fined, no suspension

Old
02-26-2011, 01:51 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
The only way I would be OK if Stepan was suspended would be for Green to get suspended as well. **** Green

EvilCorporateLawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 01:56 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaalWars View Post
I agree. Objectively, it's a dirty hit IMO. Subjectively, it's one of the few times I've actually seen a player get retribution for a punk move committed on him a few seconds earlier and not get a retaliation penalty.
Yeah its rare to see such a non call, but the way the refs have been calling the games I'm not surprised at the lack of consistency.

Stepan could have taken a really bad reactionary penalty there, its good to see him stick up for himself, and even if he just meant to hit shoulders, he threw out the elbow and caught the guy in the head.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 02:22 PM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
Bob McKenzie says Stepan was fined.

Quote:
NYR Derek Stepan fined by NHL for hit on WAS's Mike Green last night.

http://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie

NYR94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 02:23 PM
eco's bones

I kind of wonder whether or not both Green and Fedetenko were rushed back sooner than they were ready--though Green seemed to be fine when he went through that door without any help.

Green brought it on himself piledriving Stepan into the boards. Stepan's hit was strange looking to me. At least it seemed he had his back to the guy--almost inviting him to crosscheck him into the boards again--and I'm not sure how much of Green he was looking at when he whacked him. I tend to think that there was at least a bit of malice but I'm not sure how you can suspend a guy if it not's clear he was even looking at him when he hit him. I'll tell you what if he was intent on paying Green back that was really sneaky and to be honest I like the idea of Stepan defending himself.

The NHL network guys by the way were Washington's regular tv crew. Of course they were concerned and very proactively lobbying to suspend Stepan.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 02:57 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Good, as long as he wasn't suspended.

Maybe refs should pay more attention to Green trying to smash his head against the boards 10 seconds earlier.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 03:00 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR94 View Post
Bob McKenzie says Stepan was fined.

http://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie
CC being a shrewed politician, I can't complaing.

This was a extremely big deal in Washington, I got their broadcast here in Sweden and they had been waiting on Green returning for a long time -- can labled Stepans hit as a extremely dirty elbow (???).

Stepan didn't get off 100%.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 04:09 PM
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueblood 2 View Post
A guy cross checks you in the back and a few seconds later, there he his behind you again. Way to go Step is my opinion. That is hockey the way it should be played. On the ice and not in some NHL executive office! The Cap announcers made me ill!
Exactly what I posted on the game thread last night. Green's cross check was way more dirty than Stepan's hit - and I'm sure Stepan saw him coming and knew it was the same guy that just almost crippled him. Good for Stepan. You could see him lining Green up even though his back was turned. If it wasn't an elbow, it should have been.

As usual, the sh***y NHL punishes the injury and not the offense.

Mr Atoz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 04:13 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

If the refs had done there job this could have easily been avoided. Instead, the same thing happened as in the piles game.

Anyways, the real question here is, does Dolan pay his fine?

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 04:30 PM
Machinehead
Hank, pls

My policy is if it's a shoulder, it's clean. I remember when dirty hits involved sticks, elbows, charges, coming from behind, and things of that nature. Now every time a guy gets rattled it's a big ordeal. I hope someday they use technology instead of fines and suspensions, and develop better helmets, so we can just play the damn game without having every hit turn into a concussion debate.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 05:00 PM
Miller Time NYR
HFBoards Sponsor

A fine what a joke

Miller Time NYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 05:07 PM
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckface NYR View Post
Anyways, the real question here is, does Dolan pay his fine?
Nah, $6 billion net only goes so far.

Mr Atoz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 05:08 PM
Stepanformayor*

I'm sorry, but a fine in this case is still too much for what actually happend.. Stepan's just bracing himself and trying to get position on an opponent who just 10 seconds earlier cross checks him from behind.. and he gets the fine. Wouldn't anybody react the same way to protect themselves?.. What a joke!
I didn't see anything relalitory about the shoulder at all. Just another reason why most people will never take the NHL seriously as a major sport. Sometimes it reminds me of the WWE.

Stepanformayor* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 05:27 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

lol i hope dolan covers it, since stepan is still on elc hahahaha

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 07:36 PM
RangerBlues

Just another step for the NHL to start becoming a no contact game.

RangerBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 07:39 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Let that be a lesson for Sather if he has any stupid ideas about trading for Brad Richards with his concussion.
Not to derail this thread, but aren't you part of the Pro-Richards posse? (Maybe signing him, instead of trading)

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 07:40 PM
McIlrathsWrath

We got lucky... Should have been a suspension.. Not to mention a major instead of a goal....not saying it wasn't warranted but it was ABSOLUTELY an elbow to the face

McIlrathsWrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 08:01 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

i watched the video several times. Stepan's back shoulder plate area catches Green but only because Green is reach down really low. His back is bend down 45 degrees and his knees are really bent as well. No elbow at all. You can see the elbow is down because he is trying to play the puck. Look at his head looking right at the puck.

well, I went so far as to make this gif. Explain to me how Stepan is in front of Green and how this is a blind sided hit? No suspension is the right call, but I'm not even sure what the deal is with the fine.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 08:03 PM
Swept In Seven
Disciple of The Zook

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
i watched the video several times. Stepan's back shoulder plate area catches Green but only because Green is reach down really low. His back is bend down 45 degrees and his knees are really bent as well. No elbow at all. You can see the elbow is down because he is trying to play the puck. Look at his head looking right at the puck.

well, I went so far as to make this gif. Explain to me how Stepan is in front of Green and how this is a blind sided hit? No suspension is the right call, but I'm not even sure what the deal is with the fine.

exactly not an elbow at all

Swept In Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 08:12 PM
RangerBlues

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post

And if you see the hit from the opposite angle it looks like Green runs into Stepan and he is shrugging him off.

This is all because the poster boy is missing significant time due to an incidental collision in the winter classic game.

Im telling everybody. The rules are going to be changed to try and eliminate all sorts of contact.

RangerBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 08:17 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

The more I look at it the more I see Green run into the shoulder, but that elbow looks awful close when you see Green's head shift.

One angle, can't really say anything for sure.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 08:25 PM
Skrimpy

I, unfortunately didn't get the game because of the stupid, pee-stain jersey, buffaslugs. So I'm just going on what I am reading here. Green cross checks Stepan and the ref does nothing? When does it end? After the third cross check? The fourth? Wait until the Caps score a goal or two and get back in the game? Stepan can't protect himself? That's utter lunacy. The ref blew the call and would have blown a second or he was letting them play. If the league wants to keep people from getting hurt they can't just call or penalize retaliatory plays. They have to penalize ALL dirty play. If he has to pay a fine his boys should pony up what he loses because he shouldn't have lost it in the first place. Kudos to you, boy. People will think twice about cross checking you...especially Green.

Skrimpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 08:42 PM
Skrimpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Atoz View Post
Green's cross check was way more dirty than Stepan's hit - and I'm sure Stepan saw him coming and knew it was the same guy that just almost crippled him. Good for Stepan.
I agree 100%. Stepan is lucky he's not injured and if he had let Green do what he did 10 seconds prior he would be and Green would still be playing. The way I see it, Stepan knew it was him or Green. He chose wisely even if he did get fined. Looks like he took a page out of Mess' book. Good for him. Next time Green won't play dirty.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCFFx7mWANM

Skrimpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 08:46 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

MSG feed

Washington feed

Old
02-26-2011, 09:07 PM
eco's bones

Does anyone here know whether Green was concussed again? I mean--the last I saw he was going through a door under his own steam--no help from anyone--not even appearing to be limping. Obviously there was some kind of injury--but it may not actually be a concussion or anything long term.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 12:53 AM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Does anyone here know whether Green was concussed again? I mean--the last I saw he was going through a door under his own steam--no help from anyone--not even appearing to be limping. Obviously there was some kind of injury--but it may not actually be a concussion or anything long term.
precautionary? to go get checked by a head doctor mayhaps?