HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Rob Schremp, Conklin, McElhinny, Leclaire, etc. waived

Old
02-26-2011, 01:17 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paajallberle View Post
The people who are pencilling Omark into the Oilers long term plans should take a look at what happened to Schremp, because they are similar players.
Yep.

Very incomplete players.

Even some of the Omark backers have acknowledged that Omark developed bad habits playing against lesser competition for too long. One gets the sense Linus didn't mind massaging his ego for years (and no reason) playing weak opponents in leagues with very little defense and subpar goaltending.

Did all that time really help him prepare for the game over here?

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 01:21 PM
HotToddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Mact never gave him a chance, so he really wouldnt know one way or the other. Im just glad he found his true calling as an analyst.
And I'm glad the last two years has exposed to even the most ardent Mact haters how ridiculous their hatred was.

...oh wait

HotToddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 01:23 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 8345
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotToddy View Post
And I'm glad the last two years has exposed to even the most ardent Mact haters how ridiculous their hatred was.

...oh wait
The point still stands.

How's the attendance in Phoenix these days?

I heard all they needed was some success and they would be fine.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 01:24 PM
Tommy35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reynard View Post
Wait a minute. . .The New York Islanders just waived Rob Schremp and some Oiler fans are still complaining that MacT didn't give him a chance???

At what point can we just all admit that he sucks?

He was a slow, small, soft one-way junior star, and Edmonton blew a first-rounder on him. End of story.
As was peviously stated, 7 games to evaluate someone, yes, is not a chance. Remember, we are talking about an ex coach, whom some posters where saying "teams would be lining up to hire him if he was fired

Tommy35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 01:26 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
I'm not convinced Mact has wanted to be coaching over the last couple years. Speaking for myself if I had coached the Edmonton Oilers for 7seasons I don't know that I'd ever want to revisit the experience. I expect he will when the time comes.
He has coached in the last two years. Remember the Alam....er I mean the World Championships. All he ever needed was some talent and he would be rolli........ oh nevermind.

Old
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

Hindsight is 20/20, etc.

Why wasn't Zetterberg picked in the first round?

dustrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Jmask83

I feel bad for Schremp but then again he controlled his own destiny. He wanted to play center but did not want to learn to play well in his own zone. He also refused to believe there was anything wrong with his skating.

Jmask83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 01:28 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:

...oh wait
Edit: removed post because I don't want to get into another fight about MacT's ability to coach.

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 01:30 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
He has coached in the last two years. Remember the Alam....er I mean the World Championships. All he ever needed was some talent and he would be rolli........ oh nevermind.
I think the other was the Spengler cup?

Anyway MacT did as much as can be asked with sadsack clubs put in front of him and I think its pretty clear nobody could do better with what he had to work with.

Its interesting the freefall down to the bottom of the mineshaft happened in the two years subsequent to him being here. Couldn't have anything to do with him being a better coach.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 01:31 PM
Oilerdiehard

Quote:
Yep.

Very incomplete players.

Even some of the Omark backers have acknowledged that Omark developed bad habits playing against lesser competition for too long. One gets the sense Linus didn't mind massaging his ego for years (and no reason) playing weak opponents in leagues with very little defense and subpar goaltending.

Did all that time really help him prepare for the game over here?
There was a quote when he was in the minors. Something about he was never really forced to play much of a defensive system in Sweden or the KHL.

You think he is bad now. You should have seen his first month or two in the AHL. He would be by the face off dot in his own zone. He would a attempt crazy saucer or flip in the air passes through 2 or 3 opposing players right in his own teams slot area. I do not even mean forward passes, it would be in somewhat straight lines to the opposite face off dot area. All the time in his own zone. The opposing teams got some grade A chances knocking those sorts of passes down in the slot.

He actually has come a long ways since then at getting that stuff out of his game. Obviously he still has a ways to go though. I do like the kids desire to fight for the puck and then try to protect it in the trenches of the O zone though.

Oilerdiehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 01:32 PM
Jmask83

There is a big difference between Omark and Schremp. One is a center and one is a winger. You can get by playing bad defense if your a winger but not if your a center. If Omark was playing with a great two-way center he'd have a lot of his mistakes covered up. That doesn't happen with Schremp. Aslo Omark is a better skater. That's huge.

Jmask83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 01:36 PM
Doppler Drift

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustrock View Post
Hindsight is 20/20, etc.

Why wasn't Zetterberg picked in the first round?
Because the Wings have such a magical scouting and managements staff they knew he would still be there then and they didn't want to waste the earlier picks silly.

Doppler Drift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 01:36 PM
HotToddy

Quote:
The point still stands.

How's the attendance in Phoenix these days?

I heard all they needed was some success and they would be fine.
We'll see which argument lasts the test of time

Your ape $h$t crazy hatred of MacT that you made us all endure, continually reminding us that he was the poison that was bringing the Oilers down

or my "hockey will be successful in Arizona" argument

Old
02-26-2011, 01:38 PM
DisgruntledGoat

Jesus, a four-page thread about Rob Schremp???

Hey, maybe we should also discuss bringing in Alexei Miknhov to add some size to the wing!

DisgruntledGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 01:41 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
I think the other was the Spengler cup?

Anyway MacT did as much as can be asked with sadsack clubs put in front of him and I think its pretty clear nobody could do better with what he had to work with.

Its interesting the freefall down to the bottom of the mineshaft happened in the two years subsequent to him being here. Couldn't have anything to do with him being a better coach.
No. He took a loaded World Championship team and lost to freaking Norway or Germany or some other third world hockey country and missed the medals entirely. It was not the Spengler cup, nice try.

In what ways was he a better coach? The way he played favourites or the way he dumped on players inexplicably with vague reasons, calling them out in the press for being out of shape of all things. And you were all over Quinn for calling out the effort of garbage like O'Sullivan. Cmon man, lets get real for a second.

The old no forecheck passive defensive system was just an atrocity to watch. Horrible hockey. Our only mistake was not getting rid of him sooner or hiring him in the first place. He isnt even rumoured for coaching openings anymore. That's no coincidence.

Old
02-26-2011, 01:44 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
We'll see which argument lasts the test of time

Your ape $h$t crazy hatred of MacT that you made us all endure, continually reminding us that he was the poison that was bringing the Oilers down

or my "hockey will be successful in Arizona" argument
Ya. Im ok with that. Which will happen first, Yotes leave Glendale or Mact gets another nhl head coaching job. You up for that? I know I am.

Old
02-26-2011, 01:46 PM
HotToddy

Quote:
No. He took a loaded World Championship team and lost to freaking Norway or Germany or some other third world hockey country and missed the medals entirely. It was not the Spengler cup, nice try.

In what ways was he a better coach? The way he played favourites or the way he dumped on players inexplicably with vague reasons, calling them out in the press for being out of shape of all things. And you were all over Quinn for calling out the effort of garbage like O'Sullivan. Cmon man, lets get real for a second.

The old no forecheck passive defensive system was just an atrocity to watch. Horrible hockey. Our only mistake was not getting rid of him sooner or hiring him in the first place. He isnt even rumoured for coaching openings anymore. That's no coincidence.
Jesus your using a WC as an argument point? Even the players playing it don't care about that tournament.

The Oilesr were awful to watch under MacT??? Have you watched the last two seasons?? The only time in the MacT era that this team was even close to the atrocity that has been the last two years was the 25 games post Smyth trade.

Old
02-26-2011, 01:47 PM
HotToddy

Quote:
Ya. Im ok with that. Which will happen first, Yotes leave Glendale or Mact gets another nhl head coaching job. You up for that? I know I am.
Absolutely

Old
02-26-2011, 01:56 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Absolutely
Loser leaves the board for six months. That ok with you?

Old
02-26-2011, 01:56 PM
Antidote

Nice hindsight thread although haven't seen the IBM quote yet - "Who in their right mind would ever need more than 640k of ram!"

The Oilers were able to draft the OHL's leading scorer at 25 and there wasn't a poster on the board who didn't like his lacrosse stuff in the Bears game or the pick-the-golf-ball-out-of-the-air-drive-it-250-down-the-centre stuff. Schrempie's other attraction to lots of us was that in an ocean of "gotta regroup and give 110%" cloneheads, his media quotes were funny and disarmingly direct. He was also a first-on, last-off rink rat who always tossed pucks to kids and was the last one standing signing autographs. In short, a cocky but really likeable personality. What wasn't there to like?

Well, his hamburger and golf summers, his work ethic and his level of play on the ice that never really matched his Junior success. Too bad, so sad that he started out with lots of promise but now ends up being just another unfulfilled hockey player.

If you get your rocks off saying "I told you so" to everyone who went along for the ride, fill your boots. The reality of fandom in all sports, though, is that most of us attach our hopes to rising stars and take credit for our prescience if we're right and suffer along with our fallen hero when the universe doesn't unfold as we believe it should. It's just one of the reasons most of us keep our lifelong interest in sport.

Antidote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 02:00 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Originally Posted by antidote View Post
Nice hindsight thread although haven't seen the IBM quote yet - "Who in their right mind would ever need more than 640k of ram!"

The Oilers were able to draft the OHL's leading scorer at 25 and there wasn't a poster on the board who didn't like his lacrosse stuff in the Bears game or the pick-the-golf-ball-out-of-the-air-drive-it-250-down-the-centre stuff. Schrempie's other attraction to lots of us was that in an ocean of "gotta regroup and give 110%" cloneheads, his media quotes were funny and disarmingly direct. He was also a first-on, last-off rink rat who always tossed pucks to kids and was the last one standing signing autographs. In short, a cocky but really likeable personality. What wasn't there to like?

Well, his hamburger and golf summers, his work ethic and his level of play on the ice that never really matched his Junior success. Too bad, so sad that he started out with lots of promise but now ends up being just another unfulfilled hockey player.

If you get your rocks off saying "I told you so" to everyone who went along for the ride, fill your boots. The reality of fandom in all sports, though, is that most of us attach our hopes to rising stars and take credit for our prescience if we're right and suffer along with our fallen hero when the universe doesn't unfold as we believe it should. It's just one of the reasons most of us keep our lifelong interest in sport.
Beauty post

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 02:02 PM
HotToddy

Quote:
Loser leaves the board for six months. That ok with you?
That's fine by me

Just don't tell my wife if I lose, I'll sell it as a "you know what hon I have been spending too much time on the internet, it's time for some you time"

Old
02-26-2011, 02:06 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
That's fine by me

Just don't tell my wife if I lose, I'll sell it as a "you know what hon I have been spending too much time on the internet, it's time for some you time"
I was just going to create another account and keep on posting but whatever works for you I guess.

I was thinking my new username could be "I am not the Liquor".

Old
02-26-2011, 02:09 PM
Beerfish

Yeah MacT knew his players alright, Penner would still be on the 3rd, 4th line or in the press box right now if good old Craig was still coach. Our 1st line pp would be the safe combo of toby petereson, patrick thoreson and liam reddox.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 02:18 PM
elpol
Re-Registered User

Only 887 to go to get to 1,000.

There's an awful lot of shrapnel flying about today.

elpol is offline   Reply With Quote