HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Official Rumor Thread - Kings Rumor Mill XIII

Closed Thread

Old
02-26-2011, 12:36 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
There's no link to common sense on the internet.

Come Monday it'll all be sorted out.
Why didn't DL just wait until Monday to waive Sturm then?

Old
02-26-2011, 12:40 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 50
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
I don't think Dean cared one way or the other whether or not Sturm was claimed. It wouldn't have mattered either way. He wouldn't have waived him if he weren't prepared for either scenario... This is Dean Lombardi we are talking about. He had a 50 page report and mile long chart prepared for each scenario.

Let's wait till after the deadline before we start critiquing his moves. Come Monday, if we have Nash on our team doubters will be face first in the mud passed out from eating so much crow; or if we have Harrold as our first line winger, the same could be said of supporters Nobody has any clue what is happening right now, all we know is Dean wanted to make a roster spot available just in case, that's all.

"I think part of his game is hes over aggressive at times, which I like. Well tame that. Id rather tame a lion than paint stripes on the kitty cat." - Dean Lombardi discussing Brayden McNabb
Old
02-26-2011, 12:42 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy The Elf View Post
He knows exactly where he stands at the deadline. If he waited till Monday, then he wouldn't know what he had to work with, if another player came up in the deal, he would have to waive someone else because he wouldn't know whether or not Sturm would clear or be claimed.

Old
02-26-2011, 12:42 PM
DAkings20
Kings can't score

vCash: 567
I don't mind Sturm getting picked up but the problem is Lokti got injured. Now GM's are gonna try and force DL's hand so I hope he stands strong and doesn't overpay, thats my biggest issue.

Old
02-26-2011, 12:44 PM
Josh Deitell
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Thanks for clarifying this. I asked this question a few times yesterday and nobody responded. This just compounds the head scratcher for me. Given the roster expands Monday, DL could have sent Martinez down for a few days if he really wanted to keep Sturm.
I haven't crunched the numbers but I'm almost positive that Martinez is waiver eligible now.

Old
02-26-2011, 12:44 PM
HeadInjury

Quote:
A roster spot isn't opened until a waived player is claimed or clears and is assigned. Friday was the last day Sturm could be waived to open a roster spot before the trade deadline.

Of course, there were other ways to open a roster spot, but they chose Sturm.

Old
02-26-2011, 12:47 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadInjury View Post
A roster spot isn't opened until a waived player is claimed or clears and is assigned. Friday was the last day Sturm could be waived to open a roster spot before the trade deadline.

Of course, there were other ways to open a roster spot, but they chose Sturm.
Another poster stated that if a trade is made and a team goes over the 23 man limit, they have 24 hours to get back under meaning he could have waived Sturm when he made a trade.

I just see a lot of people drawing a lot of conclusions that we really don't have any answers for.

Old
02-26-2011, 12:50 PM
mustang0304

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight of the Realm View Post
There is this really cool movie called Star Wars that just came out, opening scene will blow you away.
WOW...you're my hero!!!

Old
02-26-2011, 12:52 PM
wabwat

Send a message via AIM to wabwat
Quote:
There's no link to common sense on the internet.

Come Monday it'll all be sorted out.

right, and common sense would surely indicate that were there ACTUALLY a 99.9% chance Sturm would get claimed, he wouldn't be practicing on the 1st line less than 24 hours before the team's next game.

unless he knew Washington was going to make a claim and waived him for that purpose, other than what he suggested as mere "roster flexibility," then fine... it just becomes a case of Dean talking out the side of his neck. if it was indeed about roster flexibility, there WAS another far less risky option available to him, and instead he opted to gamble on Sturm - a player he was likely willing to lose should it play out that way.

willing to lose and intending on losing are two different things.

Old
02-26-2011, 12:53 PM
wabwat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
He knows exactly where he stands at the deadline. If he waited till Monday, then he wouldn't know what he had to work with, if another player came up in the deal, he would have to waive someone else because he wouldn't know whether or not Sturm would clear or be claimed.
i don't think he would have... i believe Alec Martinez is waiver exempt.

Old
02-26-2011, 12:55 PM
HeadInjury

Quote:
Another poster stated that if a trade is made and a team goes over the 23 man limit, they have 24 hours to get back under meaning he could have waived Sturm when he made a trade.

I just see a lot of people drawing a lot of conclusions that we really don't have any answers for.
If that's the case, the only conclusion I can draw is that they were ready to give up on him for whatever reason. Probably didn't think he would end up playing and they wanted to expose him to waivers with the hope someone would pick him up and relieve them of his salary.

Old
02-26-2011, 12:58 PM
Josh Deitell
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:

Is the exemption for a 24th player or anything above 23? If we might possibly be acquiring two players (Hemsky and Penner?) then this move makes more sense.

Old
02-26-2011, 12:59 PM
TonySCV
One More Time

Quote:
In addition to what's already been suggested, the teams considering Sturm that have cap/roster space today may not come Monday. The Caps may have made a trade for someone else if Sturm wasn't available, eliminating a destination from the mix.

I have to think that he has a deal (or deals) already in place and is waiting for Monday to pull the trigger. He could do it sooner but if I were controlling the budget I'd tell him to wait until the last minute before taking on new salary. If that's the case, then Sturm obviously isn't part of the team equation moving forward and Dean decided to take care of that ASAP.

Just speculation of course. We'll know for sure end of day Monday.

The Los Angeles Kings - 2012 Stanley Cup Champions
Old
02-26-2011, 01:12 PM
Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to Tikkanen
Quote:
In addition to what's already been suggested, the teams considering Sturm that have cap/roster space today may not come Monday. The Caps may have made a trade for someone else if Sturm wasn't available, eliminating a destination from the mix.

I have to think that he has a deal (or deals) already in place and is waiting for Monday to pull the trigger. He could do it sooner but if I were controlling the budget I'd tell him to wait until the last minute before taking on new salary. If that's the case, then Sturm obviously isn't part of the team equation moving forward and Dean decided to take care of that ASAP.

The logical next question would be what if no deal is made before the deadline? What if other teams in the conference attempt to improve and the Kings move forward with no Sturm OR Loktionov? Is that how a crafty GM builds a winner? Is this the blue print Detroit laid down and Lombardi stole like The Hamburglar?

Old
02-26-2011, 01:37 PM
Josh Deitell
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:

I think we might also see something go down this weekend, possibly today after the Avs game. If you have a new player or players coming in, it'd be nice to give them a some time with the team to practice/get acclimated before the Detroit game on Monday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
The logical next question would be what if no deal is made before the deadline? What if other teams in the conference attempt to improve and the Kings move forward with no Sturm OR Loktionov? Is that how a crafty GM builds a winner? Is this the blue print Detroit laid down and Lombardi stole like The Hamburglar?
Detroit did lose Quincey on waivers, so maybe

Old
02-26-2011, 01:45 PM
TonySCV
One More Time

Quote:
We'll know on Monday, and in case it's still not clear, Breakfast with the GM is only a week away.

Old
02-26-2011, 01:49 PM
tantrum4*

Looks like Kyper had a good reason to be pissed. McCabe just traded to the Rangers..

Old
02-26-2011, 01:58 PM
Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by tantrum4 View Post
Looks like Kyper had a good reason to be pissed. McCabe just traded to the Rangers..
The Rangers may be able to make some noise in the playoffs if Gaborik is healthy. King Henrik is winning games by himself.

Old
02-26-2011, 01:59 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
Dean likely overplayed his hand on this one. He wasn't counting on the Caps claiming Sturm I would imagine.

Old
02-26-2011, 02:01 PM
Josh Deitell
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
Dean likely overplayed his hand on this one. He wasn't counting on the Caps claiming Sturm I would imagine.
The Caps are way up there on the waiver priority list. If they hadn't picked him about, about 15 other teams could have.

Old
02-26-2011, 02:04 PM
Cook24

Send a message via AIM to Cook24
DL had to have known there would be a pretty good chance of Sturm getting claimed. There are a lot of desperate teams right now. He would be stupid to think he wouldn't get claimed, and DL isn't stupid. He's got something up his sleave. And I also don't believe Loktionov was gonna get a call-up soon had he not gotten injured last night.

Old
02-26-2011, 02:07 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Meh, I'm indifferent with Sturm being claimed. He wasn't doing anything out there. He was only a healthy body that can be inserted into the lineup with a hefty cap hit. It was a gamble acquiring (albeit a low risk one) and it was yet another gamble to waive him. So he's claimed, big whoop. There are plenty of plugs in Manchester who can provide the same type of impact Sturm had on the Kings. If they are going to call someone up and use them in the top six, it should be Moller.

Either way, the idea behind waiving Sturm was that they can send him down should they need the cap space for a bigger transaction. Now that cap space is available and they can call someone up or add players without losing anyone from the roster.

Old
02-26-2011, 02:08 PM
wabwat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Deitell View Post
The Caps are way up there on the waiver priority list. If they hadn't picked him about, about 15 other teams could have.
their waiver priority was 22.

Old
02-26-2011, 02:16 PM
Homunculous

What makes the most sense to me is a deal is in place with the Avs and someone didnt want the awkward switching of locker room and immediately playing your former teammates situation. I'll guess a trade for Stastny not involving roster players or Stastny and a winger for Stoll plus non-roster players.

Old
02-26-2011, 02:22 PM
Orenji

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homunculous View Post
What makes the most sense to me is a deal is in place with the Avs and someone didnt want the awkward switching of locker room and immediately playing your former teammates situation. I'll guess a trade for Stastny not involving roster players or Stastny and a winger for Stoll plus non-roster players.
If we got Stastny, it would be at least Voynov + 1st 2011 + Stoll + Another pick OR Hickey/Teubert.

More than likely Schenn would be going the other way, though.

Closed Thread