HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Impact of Savard and Malkin Injury

Old
02-08-2011, 09:49 AM
DUHockey9

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by i am dave View Post
I might be wrong, but I think even in Savard's case, the Bruins have to "assume" he'll be back next year, so I believe they too have to keep contract length in consideration.
Yea that would be the smart thing to do. You don't want to take on some long term 4 million dollar cap hit only to have Savard come back and be scrambling to make something work.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 10:28 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Jester was right on everything except for one thing I think. I don't see how the Penguins even replace Malkin's production. With Staal? Then who replaces Staal's 50? Kunitz? Who replaces Kunitz? $8m in cap space?

The Penguins need a rental PPG forward on a UFA contract, and they need to have a healthy Crosby and a healthy Staal. Even Letestu is hurt, and this is a team that won a Stanley Cup and attended another based on center depth alone. Without center depth, their depth is laughable.
That's just it, they don't need a PPG forward to replace what Malkin has been doing this year. He was pacing to a 70 pt season... solid, but replaceable for the most part (I imagine there will be a 60 pt forward available). Malkin is also a minus player. In fact, if you look at his career numbers, he essentially has needed to score at a PPG pace to make up for the fact that he's atrocious defensively.

Staal has played in 15 games this year. So, they're nipping on our heels with him having missed almost 40 games. He's replacing himself as far as their position in the standings and what they've accomplished thus far.

Malkin is a very skilled player, but he's also a bit overrated.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 10:33 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartsiephan View Post
Had a conversation with one of my Bruins friends about whether they would make a significant move. I made mention of Iginla who could be had and the Bruins have the ability to get it done. A package of Ryder and the Laffs draft picks would get them certainly close to a deal, maybe a mid-range prospect, but that 1st round pick this year looks to be a top five again.

Bruins will get the most help most likely, but the team to be concerned about is TB. They still also have @$10mill in available cap space and do not have to lose anyone on their roster to get it done.
While I think the Flames should be looking to move Iginla (that team has run its course with its current setup), I wouldn't hold my breath on them making that deal.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 10:38 AM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
While I think the Flames should be looking to move Iginla (that team has run its course with its current setup), I wouldn't hold my breath on them making that deal.
Agreed. It makes sense to deal Iginla for that team and finally concede that they need a new direction, but I just don't think they're going to do it.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 05:25 PM
Clown Baby*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
That's just it, they don't need a PPG forward to replace what Malkin has been doing this year. He was pacing to a 70 pt season... solid, but replaceable for the most part (I imagine there will be a 60 pt forward available). Malkin is also a minus player. In fact, if you look at his career numbers, he essentially has needed to score at a PPG pace to make up for the fact that he's atrocious defensively.

Staal has played in 15 games this year. So, they're nipping on our heels with him having missed almost 40 games. He's replacing himself as far as their position in the standings and what they've accomplished thus far.

Malkin is a very skilled player, but he's also a bit overrated.
Malkin, regardless of how other fans rate him, always manages to torch the Flyers for a point or two a game. Losing him will hurt, which is certainly to our advantage.

I'm not sure the Penguins could replace his offense, just looking at some of the upcoming free agents. The majority of players are in a position to compete for the playoffs, while a handful more have already been traded. Everyone else is a cut below.

http://capgeek.com/free_agents.php?y...F&fa_type_id=2

Clown Baby* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 05:41 PM
treeman

having cap space is one thing... both teams will need to give up assets to get an impact players.

being healthy is better because you can trade from an even level.

it would be smarter for the Pens to stand pat and wait out the season, re-tool the team once you have a better idea of how bad the injury issues are (Malkin and Crosby)

treeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 06:29 PM
MountainHawk

Jason Arnott is really the only guy I can see making any sort of impact that is on a team that is done.

MountainHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 06:51 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

May want to add Crosby to this thread. He's bound to be brought up on these boards anyway, considering he's generally out until March, maybe later.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 06:56 PM
Mike2000z28

Both non factors really especially Savard. Pittsburgh and Boston have great teams right now with or without them. If Thomas/Crosby were gone, then id be happy.

Mike2000z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 10:47 AM
rban*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike2000z28 View Post
. Pittsburgh and Boston have great teams right now with or without them. .
Not Pittsburgh. Kovalev and his enigma can go jump in the lake as far as i'm concerned, i never understand why any team spends money on this loser.

James Neal is very very good (in fact i'd call him a great Philly protoypical player) but so what? You have one good line on Pittsburgh now , whoopee (Crosby-Neal-Kunitz), and a second line with the likes of Tyler Kennedy and Kovalev if His Majesty decides to play. And i guess Staal when he isnt getting creamed by his older brother.

rban* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 11:50 AM
Ghost of Downie*

Quote:
Originally Posted by rban View Post
Not Pittsburgh. Kovalev and his enigma can go jump in the lake as far as i'm concerned, i never understand why any team spends money on this loser.

James Neal is very very good (in fact i'd call him a great Philly protoypical player) but so what? You have one good line on Pittsburgh now , whoopee (Crosby-Neal-Kunitz), and a second line with the likes of Tyler Kennedy and Kovalev if His Majesty decides to play. And i guess Staal when he isnt getting creamed by his older brother.
I don't even think they can rely on Crosby returning at this point. Apparently he still isn't symptom-free about two months after the hits. Even if he was symptom-free tomorrow, he would still probably take at least 3 weeks to get back into game shape (if not more) and then he'll actually have to shake off the rust from being out so long. The whole thing just stinks of 07-08 Gagne to me.

I really hope this doesn't affect his play. As much as I hate playing against him, he has way too much talent to become another Lindros or Primeau that has injury issues.

Ghost of Downie* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 02:30 PM
rban*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost of Downie View Post
I don't even think they can rely on Crosby returning at this point. Apparently he still isn't symptom-free about two months after the hits. Even if he was symptom-free tomorrow, he would still probably take at least 3 weeks to get back into game shape (if not more) and then he'll actually have to shake off the rust from being out so long. The whole thing just stinks of 07-08 Gagne to me.

I really hope this doesn't affect his play. As much as I hate playing against him, he has way too much talent to become another Lindros or Primeau that has injury issues.
Let him be ineffective just this year so that Pitsburgh remains weak, and Philly steeamrollers them on the way to a Cup.

Then he can return next year and be as good as new.

rban* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 04:09 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
Originally Posted by rban View Post
Let him be ineffective just this year so that Pitsburgh remains weak, and Philly steeamrollers them on the way to a Cup.

Then he can return next year and be as good as new.
This. Crosby can have the worst symptoms in the world, as long as they only last this year, so he can't play.

Flyers win the cup, he can come back and ruin us like he normally does

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote