HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Sturm waived, then claimed by Washington

Old
02-26-2011, 12:22 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
Could care less about losing Sturm. Just absolutely frustrated as hell that they jerked around Loktionov. The kid added an element the team desperately lacked and now he is unavailable because he was injured playing in a league he had no business in.
That is wonderful logic. One has nothing to do with the other. What I find humorous is if you read the Loktionov thread, you see a bunch of similar responses as yours. As if being sent to Manchester had something to do with the injury. Meanwhile, the first logical response is from a woman.

If DL's plan was to call up Loktionov, he just blew it. I still doubt that was the case because there much easier ways of accomplishing that. He could have waited another 48 hours for the roster to open up and it is unlikely Loktionov was going to play in that period.

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 12:29 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy The Elf View Post
That is wonderful logic. One has nothing to do with the other. What I find humorous is if you read the Loktionov thread, you see a bunch of similar responses as yours. As if being sent to Manchester had something to do with the injury. Meanwhile, the first logical response is from a woman.

If DL's plan was to call up Loktionov, he just blew it. I still doubt that was the case because there much easier ways of accomplishing that. He could have waited another 48 hours for the roster to open up and it is unlikely Loktionov was going to play in that period.
Hey, you have to look at it from Herby's point of view. It is another opportunity for him to blame something (Loktionov's injury) on Lombardi that is totally beyond his control.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 12:44 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Sturm wasn't the top line left winger I guess Lombardi was hoping for. Why he would expect better results from a guy coming off re-constructive knee surgery is beyond me. I have no problem losing him to Washington. However, I now expect a top line left winger to be traded for before the deadline. Strictly my opinion but this strange turn of events puts the pressure on Lombardi to finally fix the ongoing problem on the left wing.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 12:46 PM
Martyros

So is Westgarth going to get a shot on the 1st line?

Martyros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 12:56 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
Hey, you have to look at it from Herby's point of view. It is another opportunity for him to blame something (Loktionov's injury) on Lombardi that is totally beyond his control.
Oh look there he is, someone must have turned on the Dean signal and here he is to the rescue!

I didn't blame Lombardi for getting Lokti hurt. I said it was a ridiculous move the second it was made. Strum was absolutely terrible and had no business playing over Lokti.

I will criticize DL for thinking Sturm was some kind of answer to the LW issue he created. Like I said earlier, how is Sturm any different than Rasmussen, Heinze, Klatt, R. Robitaille or any of the other stiffs DT tried to tell us were Top 6 wingers. You guys criticized DT (and rightfully) so for those moves, where is the DL criticism?

But hey I know better than to expect that from you, I believe you have said the only mistake Dean has made was waiting to long to trade Cammalleri.

Last edited by Herby: 02-26-2011 at 01:05 PM.
Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 01:00 PM
wabwat

Send a message via AIM to wabwat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyros View Post
So is Westgarth going to get a shot on the 1st line?
God, i hope so!

wabwat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 01:47 PM
tantrum4*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
I didn't blame Lombardi for getting Lokti hurt. I said it was a ridiculous move the second it was made. Strum was absolutely terrible and had no business playing over Lokti.
Um..not true. Sturm produced more than Lokti did. I really don't understand all this love for Lokti like he was playing like Steven Stamkos or something. It's the same as when Moller was here last year. It's like people just see a new face and WANT him to be the savior of the team so they overvalue his worth WAY too much. Loktionov had nothing more to do with the Kings wins and loses than Westgarth does. He isn't an impact player, he's just a rook getting his feet wet. The rest of our season wasn't dependant on weather Lokti was on the Kings or on Manchester. It didn't matter either way.

tantrum4* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 01:51 PM
Willard
Kings All The Way

OK well, I thought Sturm wasn't going to be claimed, but he was. There are really no good options for LW outside of Moller, which I don't exactly consider adequate, unless a trade happens.

On the other hand, since the Caps & Kings were both said to have been pursuing Hemsky, maybe Lombardi cooked this thing up to get the Caps off the trail for that possible trade, who knows.

Willard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 02:11 PM
Ollie Weeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKing View Post
To be honest, I didn't think Sturm was terrible. He even got in the first fight of his career when he stood up for Stoll being kneed. Definitely better than Halpern was last year and they still played that stiff.
Yeah he was alright. Not the end of the world, losing him, but I didn't mind him in the lineup. A replaceable asset, but an asset nonetheless.

Ollie Weeks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 02:12 PM
Kurrilino
Go Stoll Go

Send a message via MSN to Kurrilino
Don't know what's wrong with you guys.
to loose Sturm is the best thing that could happen.

Now they are forced to call up Moller and use him on the 1st line and that is a good thing.
This season he is almost a PPG player
Parse will be available too soon and we get rid of our garbage.

I love times when our moron staff is forced to do the right thing.
Now we need an accident to the coaching system.

Kurrilino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 02:13 PM
Orenji

They're probably not gonna call up Moller.

We'll make a trade or two and have a new roster by Monday. Westgarth will fill in today, and we don't play again till after the deadline on Monday night in LA versus Detroit.

Orenji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 02:21 PM
CTKingsFan
6/11/12 & 6/13/14

Dean better have something big up his sleeve or this move was just really really stupid. Even he does make a big trade it was still a stupid move.

Your weakest position... Left Wing! How to fix that? Waive contributing veteran left wings with 20-30 goal scoring ability's... BRILLIANT!!!

What a freakin idiot! and I'm a huge Lombardi fan but that was dumb. Waive Westgarth or Harrold if you need a roster spot free! Not the left winger on your number 1 line!

The only thing that makes sense is that AEG told him if he's gonna bring in some big money player that he needs to cut salary... Which still pisses me off cause Sturm would be off the books after the season. *shrugs*

CTKingsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 02:26 PM
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

... Perhaps someone can explain to me why Loktionov was sent down in favor of Sturm in the first place, when the plan was to waive Sturm anyway. The whole situation just seems really convoluted to me.

But thank God that Westgarth is back in the lineup - don't know what the team would do without his 2 minutes and change per game. I'm glad the organization seems to have its priorities well in order.

JT Dutch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 02:28 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Dutch View Post
... Perhaps someone can explain to me why Loktionov was sent down in favor of Sturm in the first place, when the plan was to waive Sturm anyway. The whole situation just seems really convoluted to me.

But thank God that Westgarth is back in the lineup - don't know what the team would do without his 2 minutes and change per game. I'm glad the organization seems to have its priorities well in order.
Especially against Colorado and their band of brawlers. Is Scott Parker playing today?

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 02:29 PM
wabwat

Send a message via AIM to wabwat
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Dutch View Post

i'm one of the few who honestly feels the two moves were made independent of one another. Lotkionov was sent down and we got the "phone call away" eyewash and everything, but i don't think they intended on bringing him back this season.

wabwat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 02:30 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurrilino View Post
Don't know what's wrong with you guys.
to loose Sturm is the best thing that could happen.

Now they are forced to call up Moller and use him on the 1st line and that is a good thing.
This season he is almost a PPG player
Parse will be available too soon and we get rid of our garbage.

I love times when our moron staff is forced to do the right thing.
Now we need an accident to the coaching system.
Moller will not be called up. Murray doesn't like his style, he is not heavy enough. King or Cliche will be back with the team if Dean doesn't get anyone to bite on his weak trade offers. If Dean's offer is what teams wanted, a trade would have aleady happened.

Another sign that Dancing boy was wrong about his Kings trade rumor that was happening on Monday, Richardson is in the lineup today. You don't play a player that is involved in trade talks that are that close to happening. If he gets hurt, the trade is done.

Last edited by Sydor25: 02-26-2011 at 02:37 PM.
Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 02:34 PM
Cook24

Send a message via AIM to Cook24
Dean will acquire a player or two by the deadline. Moller isn't getting called up unless we get an injury down the road.

Cook24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 02:35 PM
DocWest
2012 & 2014 Champs

I've got to say that the more I think about this, the more upset I get. Sturm never got a legit shot with us and Dean was so quick to push him out the door. True, Sturm never stepped up like we would have all hoped, but he was also still recovering from major injuries and slowly getting back into his groove. Yet we let useless players like Westgarth hang around and get countless opportunities. As nice and smart of a guy that KW is, I don't see what he brings to this team that we don't already have. He must have something on DL that keeps him from sitting in the press box all season.

Anyway, hopefully the Caps give Sturm a better chance.

DocWest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 02:37 PM
nki

We'll probably end up trading a pick for a player that's worse than Sturm to begin with, that would be pretty funny.

nki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 02:46 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

I'm personally of the opinion that DL waived Sturm yesterday in hopes he wouldn't be claimed. He would then make a trade and hoped he'd have Sturm as an injury call up in the event there was an injury down the stretch. I think he was trying to have his cake and eat it too. At this point he doesn't even have a slice of cake.

Old
02-26-2011, 02:47 PM
Mxpunk

Saw the Caps demoted Perrault to Hershey today after he scored 2 goals a couple games ago. There are also reports that he will not actually report to Hershey. I'm wondering if this is part of a trade in the works with the Kings? Semin maybe? Just my own speculation.

Mxpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 02:48 PM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

There's absolutely no doubt in my mind now that we're making a trade at the deadline. How can Lombardi & co. be comfortable with Brad Richardson as your 1st line LW?

AKAY47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 02:56 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

I'd also like to add that all of you (Herby, two is better than three et al) that keep saying Moller or Loktionov (pre-injury) should be in over Sturm, Sturm is a left wing, the other two aren't. Loktionov played noticeable better in the center position and it appears the organization is content to keep him there. Moller and Loktionov aren't left wings so they really are irrelevant to what did or didn't happen with Sturm.

Old
02-26-2011, 02:58 PM
Willard
Kings All The Way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy The Elf View Post
Moller and Loktionov aren't left wings so they really are irrelevant to what did or didn't happen with Sturm.
Agreed, Moller should be considered an inadequate LW alternative. Pressure's on Lombardi to make the right deal in the next 48 hours.

Willard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 05:05 PM
tigermask48
Maniacal Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKing View Post
But there are only 20-odd games left off of a $3.5 figure that the Kings haven't been on the hook for all season anyways.

Well...Deano's got some roster flexibility now....

...perhaps "Roster Flexibility" can be the new #2C with "Cap Space" holding down the #1LW spot?
the cup is so ours...

tigermask48 is offline   Reply With Quote