HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Rob Schremp, Conklin, McElhinny, Leclaire, etc. waived

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-26-2011, 02:24 PM
  #101
HotToddy
Registered User
 
HotToddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 3,575
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
I was just going to create another account and keep on posting but whatever works for you I guess.

I was thinking my new username could be "I am not the Liquor".
How about we change it to an avatar bet, you have to admit it's a pretty one sided bet.

MacTavish, whether he is a great coach or a terrible coach, has probably been tarred forever by his Oiler years.

And Phoenix whether it has 7,000 or 15,00 fans coming hangs by a thread due to lease and ownership issues.

HotToddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 02:43 PM
  #102
Tad Mikowsky
Retired
 
Tad Mikowsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,464
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotToddy View Post
We'll see which argument lasts the test of time

Your ape $h$t crazy hatred of MacT that you made us all endure, continually reminding us that he was the poison that was bringing the Oilers down

or my "hockey will be successful in Arizona" argument

lawl, you're defending MacT but then claim management is bad.

popcorn poppin

Tad Mikowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 02:46 PM
  #103
HotToddy
Registered User
 
HotToddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 3,575
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan Marsh View Post
lawl, you're defending MacT but then claim management is bad.

popcorn poppin
Yeah I am defending MacT and blaiming management for the Oilers woes, what's wrong with that?

HotToddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 02:49 PM
  #104
I am the Liquor
Registered User
 
I am the Liquor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,226
vCash: 8345
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotToddy View Post
How about we change it to an avatar bet, you have to admit it's a pretty one sided bet.

MacTavish, whether he is a great coach or a terrible coach, has probably been tarred forever by his Oiler years.

And Phoenix whether it has 7,000 or 15,00 fans coming hangs by a thread due to lease and ownership issues.
Buyers remorse? Not satisfied with that slightly used 74 pinto? Sure. Fine by me. One month avatar would be ok with me.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 02:49 PM
  #105
Tad Mikowsky
Retired
 
Tad Mikowsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,464
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotToddy View Post
Yeah I am defending MacT and blaiming management for the Oilers woes, what's wrong with that?

Tad Mikowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 03:15 PM
  #106
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 35,811
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilerdiehard View Post
There was a quote when he was in the minors. Something about he was never really forced to play much of a defensive system in Sweden or the KHL.

You think he is bad now. You should have seen his first month or two in the AHL. He would be by the face off dot in his own zone. He would a attempt crazy saucer or flip in the air passes through 2 or 3 opposing players right in his own teams slot area. I do not even mean forward passes, it would be in somewhat straight lines to the opposite face off dot area. All the time in his own zone. The opposing teams got some grade A chances knocking those sorts of passes down in the slot.

.
Yikes.

Thanks. Pretty much confirms what I thought. Just doesn't seem to have a clue what to do when pressured in own zone.

Man, did he ever even watch NHL hockey? I can't believe some of the stuff he thinks will work here.

Trouble is Omark needs to produce something like a Goal/Game to be an even player.

This is a workable player for a club that doesn't presently care whether it wins or loses games but I don't see this going forward. Also doubt whether Omark is as willing to change his game as he says he is. I question this due to actions I continue to see on the ice.

In the end I think the NHL game will continue to be frustrating for him and in a couple years he's at the end of his last NHL tryout.

People often forget this is the player at age 24. He's this irresponsible defensively at age 24.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 03:16 PM
  #107
Behind Enemy Lines
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 3,765
vCash: 500
Tons of slings and arrows flung at MacT and Oil management about their 'failure' to see the NHL ability of Rob Schremp.

Guess they now aren't the only dummies on the NHL block.

Behind Enemy Lines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 03:18 PM
  #108
flashy
Fire Tambellini.
 
flashy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,317
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post


I don't hate Schremp, he's just not an NHL player, clearly.
cause a guy thats 0.5 ppg isnt NHL material, 82 points or bust

flashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 03:23 PM
  #109
Tommy35
Registered User
 
Tommy35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Montreal
Posts: 3,380
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Behind Enemy Lines View Post
Tons of slings and arrows flung at MacT and Oil management about their 'failure' to see the NHL ability of Rob Schremp.

Guess they now aren't the only dummies on the NHL block.
They're the only dummies. They drafted him.

Regardless, I like Schremp, still hoping he makes it with another NHL team

Tommy35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 03:25 PM
  #110
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 35,811
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
No. He took a loaded World Championship team and lost to freaking Norway or Germany or some other third world hockey country and missed the medals entirely. It was not the Spengler cup, nice try.
I ws just saying I thought he ALSO coached the Spengler cup. Pretty sure he did.

In anycase why does the WC mean anything to you in terms of MacT's coaching. Given his use of systems hockey something like a shortterm stint with players who could care less, and with no time to prepare, is the worst possible measuring stick for his specific abilities. The shout and yell rabble coaches, or coaches that rely on emotional gimmick and short term results are much more suited for that type of short term position. I think Mess was an assistant Coach on the same club afairc. Would that team's failure preclude Mess being a coach?

Give it up, it means nothing.

Quote:
In what ways was he a better coach?
Better Results, better W/L record. Not hard to follow.


Quote:
The way he played favourites or the way he dumped on players inexplicably with vague reasons, calling them out in the press for being out of shape of all things. And you were all over Quinn for calling out the effort of garbage like O'Sullivan. Cmon man, lets get real for a second.
Well I can't fathom how you can dislike a coach on the record of making occasional comments about select players vs a coach that did it every other day about select players he didn't even know. Quinn was a clueless windbag here and a conclusion nearly everybody at least at this point agrees with.
I know who I'd rather go to work for. Some guy that actually takes considerable time before calling you out or somebody who does it for ***** and giggles at the spur of a moment and for no clear reason.

Quote:
The old no forecheck passive defensive system was just an atrocity to watch. Horrible hockey. Our only mistake was not getting rid of him sooner or hiring him in the first place. He isnt even rumoured for coaching openings anymore. That's no coincidence.
What Quinn and Renney have brought since defines horrible. A complete absence of evident coaching. We could have a preprinted lineup order spit out of a computer pregame and pretty much the same result. No line matching, no recognition of who's going, who's not. etc.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 03:32 PM
  #111
Stoneman89
Registered User
 
Stoneman89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 6,919
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eytinge View Post
yes you do. You let your hatred of the kid blind your judgment on him.
Really no different than how many were seduced by his eyeopening puckhandling skills and were willing to overlook his skating and softness issues right from the start.

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 03:33 PM
  #112
zeus3007*
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Red Deer, Alberta
Posts: 13,228
vCash: 500
To those saying Schremp is a legitimate NHL player, he has now been waived by 2 of the NHL's worst teams in a fairly short amount of time. Obviously he is not.

And I really think we should be picking up King.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 03:36 PM
  #113
Behind Enemy Lines
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 3,765
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy35 View Post
They're the only dummies. They drafted him.

Regardless, I like Schremp, still hoping he makes it with another NHL team
Keep the faith Tommy35. Keep the faith. First round pedigree gets you several extra stikes to make the NHL. Unfortunately, Robby S won't get any faster or bigger. I wished him well in getting a chance in NYC and he'll likely get another. This has always been about a complete disconnect between fan perception and reality. Less about the kid himself. Who wouldn't want a team's prospects to succeed? Ironically, the one person with most to benefit (beyond the kids themselves) is a head coach and management whose job is to build the best team possible.

The Oil took a spin on this guy late first round. It was a decent risk at that point that simply didn't work out. Robbie Schremp will resurface with another chance. The reality though is he's just another borderline NHL player. All doubt is removed now ... isn't it??

Behind Enemy Lines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 03:38 PM
  #114
VincenzosOil
Registered User
 
VincenzosOil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 765
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Behind Enemy Lines View Post
Tons of slings and arrows flung at MacT and Oil management about their 'failure' to see the NHL ability of Rob Schremp.

Guess they now aren't the only dummies on the NHL block.
Imo, the Mact bashers cannot use the Schremp argument any longer as part of their attack. But I see some have now moved on to "he only received 7 games from MacT when others less capable received blah, blah, blah...." instead of maybe giving MacT a wee bit of credit for having the foresight and superior talent assessment ability to determine that Schremp was not a player for the Oilers. Ain't gonna happen, I know.

VincenzosOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 03:40 PM
  #115
proppski
Registered User
 
proppski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Khon Kaen
Country: Thailand
Posts: 599
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Yikes.

Thanks. Pretty much confirms what I thought. Just doesn't seem to have a clue what to do when pressured in own zone.

Man, did he ever even watch NHL hockey? I can't believe some of the stuff he thinks will work here.

Trouble is Omark needs to produce something like a Goal/Game to be an even player.

This is a workable player for a club that doesn't presently care whether it wins or loses games but I don't see this going forward. Also doubt whether Omark is as willing to change his game as he says he is. I question this due to actions I continue to see on the ice.

In the end I think the NHL game will continue to be frustrating for him and in a couple years he's at the end of his last NHL tryout.

People often forget this is the player at age 24. He's this irresponsible defensively at age 24.
What do you mean? Yesterday you said that oilers are keeping omark,how about you?
Its ridicoulus how you make a truth from a rumor! Omark is 24 has played 1.5 years more adult hockey then Mps.Comparing him to schremp is very strange, omark has played and made an impact in the 2 best leauges outside Nhl and are you so naive that you think they not need to play defence there or in the swedish national team then you havent seen much icehockey outside nhl.The thing is you must have matching players to get maximum from omark! He isnt so bad defensively as it looks in the stats, but in a team with the worst defence in the leauge and a smallish c and another rookie trying to adjust to na icehockey its not optimal have to playing in the own zone, and as a winger you shouldnt need to play a c-roll (deep) there.

Ive seen enough from him in nhl and cant see him fail to make a impact here too.

proppski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 03:52 PM
  #116
I am the Liquor
Registered User
 
I am the Liquor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,226
vCash: 8345
Quote:
Originally Posted by VincenzosOil View Post
Imo, the Mact bashers cannot use the Schremp argument any longer as part of their attack. But I see some have now moved on to "he only received 7 games from MacT when others less capable received blah, blah, blah...." instead of maybe giving MacT a wee bit of credit for having the foresight and superior talent assessment ability to determine that Schremp was not a player for the Oilers. Ain't gonna happen, I know.
You mean superior talent assessment that had Toby Peterson playing the pp? Dustin Penner in the pb? Calling for Horcoff to be on the Olympic team last year?

Ya, he was a real savant. So much so, that the other 29 teams are clamouring to have him use his considerable evaluations skills for their teams.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 03:54 PM
  #117
Behind Enemy Lines
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 3,765
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VincenzosOil View Post
Imo, the Mact bashers cannot use the Schremp argument any longer as part of their attack. But I see some have now moved on to "he only received 7 games from MacT when others less capable received blah, blah, blah...." instead of maybe giving MacT a wee bit of credit for having the foresight and superior talent assessment ability to determine that Schremp was not a player for the Oilers. Ain't gonna happen, I know.
Interesting the conversation for many pro Schrempers has shifted to a flush Gagner campaign one of the young players who leapfrogged RS to make and contribute on the NHL team. Where once Schremp didn't get enough games/consideration by Oil management, the mob and their pitchforks and torches have turned to critizing them for not getting rid of a 22 year old player who already has 150 NHL points.

Behind Enemy Lines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 03:55 PM
  #118
Sammy*
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,501
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Mact never gave him a chance, so he really wouldnt know one way or the other. Im just glad he found his true calling as an analyst.
Geez, I really wonder why he didnt give him a chance. Alex Giroux has never got a chance either. Same with thousands of players.
But yeah, it was MacT's fault for him & the Oilers wretched record.
What a joke.

Sammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 03:59 PM
  #119
Tommy35
Registered User
 
Tommy35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Montreal
Posts: 3,380
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Behind Enemy Lines View Post
Keep the faith Tommy35. Keep the faith. First round pedigree gets you several extra stikes to make the NHL. Unfortunately, Robby S won't get any faster or bigger. I wished him well in getting a chance in NYC and he'll likely get another. This has always been about a complete disconnect between fan perception and reality. Less about the kid himself. Who wouldn't want a team's prospects to succeed? Ironically, the one person with most to benefit (beyond the kids themselves) is a head coach and management whose job is to build the best team possible.

The Oil took a spin on this guy late first round. It was a decent risk at that point that simply didn't work out. Robbie Schremp will resurface with another chance. The reality though is he's just another borderline NHL player. All doubt is removed now ... isn't it??
What faith? If Schremp succeeds or not? Who cares? I'll tell you who should care, that ex head coach and management (Mr.Lowe) you are referring to, they're the ones that left Mike Green, Dave Bolland and David Booth to name a few, on the table

Tommy35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 03:59 PM
  #120
Doppler Drift
Registered User
 
Doppler Drift's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 9,462
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by proppski View Post
What do you mean? Yesterday you said that oilers are keeping omark,how about you?
Its ridicoulus how you make a truth from a rumor! Omark is 24 has played 1.5 years more adult hockey then Mps.Comparing him to schremp is very strange, omark has played and made an impact in the 2 best leauges outside Nhl and are you so naive that you think they not need to play defence there or in the swedish national team then you havent seen much icehockey outside nhl.The thing is you must have matching players to get maximum from omark! He isnt so bad defensively as it looks in the stats, but in a team with the worst defence in the leauge and a smallish c and another rookie trying to adjust to na icehockey its not optimal have to playing in the own zone, and as a winger you shouldnt need to play a c-roll (deep) there.

Ive seen enough from him in nhl and cant see him fail to make a impact here too.
He has good puck skills, is good on the forecheck and is good on the cycle. But he is god awful defensively. And he is the worst among the 3 on his line so who is hurting who? If you can't see that then you haven't watched enough hockey period.

He can learn to be good defensively if he is open to it, if he commits himself, and is willing to put in the work.

Doppler Drift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 04:09 PM
  #121
Spawn
Registered User
 
Spawn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,231
vCash: 500
The thread isn't about Omark people.

Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 04:09 PM
  #122
I am the Liquor
Registered User
 
I am the Liquor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,226
vCash: 8345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
I ws just saying I thought he ALSO coached the Spengler cup. Pretty sure he did.
Could be. Although it would be sad if he has sunk that low already.

Quote:
In anycase why does the WC mean anything to you in terms of MacT's coaching. Given his use of systems hockey something like a shortterm stint with players who could care less, and with no time to prepare, is the worst possible measuring stick for his specific abilities. The shout and yell rabble coaches, or coaches that rely on emotional gimmick and short term results are much more suited for that type of short term position. I think Mess was an assistant Coach on the same club afairc. Would that team's failure preclude Mess being a coach?
Just responding to you saying that you didnt think he was interested in coaching for the last two years. Clearly that isnt likely to be the case, as he was also rumoured for the Wild job early on. The abject failure at the WC was just gravy. You know, considering he never had a decent roster to work with here. Well he had one there and they failed miserably.



Quote:
Better Results, better W/L record. Not hard to follow.
Pretty simplistic comparison. Mactavish never had to deal with rosters like last year's mess or man games lost. The only comparable would be after the Smyth trade, and he fell on his face when the team gave up on him.


Quote:
Well I can't fathom how you can dislike a coach on the record of making occasional comments about select players vs a coach that did it every other day about select players he didn't even know. Quinn was a clueless windbag here and a conclusion nearly everybody at least at this point agrees with.
I know who I'd rather go to work for. Some guy that actually takes considerable time before calling you out or somebody who does it for ***** and giggles at the spur of a moment and for no clear reason.
There really is no difference, other than for Quinn it wasnt personal. He just called out whoever wasnt performing, rightly or wrongly. Mactavish had little vendetta's and showed a complete lack of class and professionalism by cutting up Schremp when Robbie was on the other side of the continent. I think even Craig would want that one back as he doesnt seem like the type to shy away from a fight. At least he never was as a player. But the backstabbing was completely unacceptable.

I find it strange that you would lambaste Quinn for the same behavior exhibited by Mact but Craig gets a thumbs up from you. That is hardly credible.

Quote:
What Quinn and Renney have brought since defines horrible. A complete absence of evident coaching. We could have a preprinted lineup order spit out of a computer pregame and pretty much the same result. No line matching, no recognition of who's going, who's not. etc.
You cant get much worse than last, but Mactavish had his faults, and if he was all that and a bag of chips, he would have been hired right away like Tippet was.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 04:10 PM
  #123
Behind Enemy Lines
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 3,765
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy35 View Post
What faith? If Schremp succeeds or not? Who cares? I'll tell you who should care, that ex head coach and management (Mr.Lowe) you are referring to, they're the ones that left Mike Green, Dave Bolland and David Booth to name a few, on the table
Yup. And they flushed the scouting staff to get better. Their first round draft picks were a major part of staying in spin cycle. It we want to talk pivotal draft fail, I choose personally to vent about the 2003 draft where they **** the bed massively with many franchise players available in the deepest draft in a decade or two.

The Oil management group overhyped its prospect talent for a long time. Amazingly enough Schremp was not someone they aggressively hyped.

Behind Enemy Lines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 04:13 PM
  #124
Doppler Drift
Registered User
 
Doppler Drift's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 9,462
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
The thread isn't about Omark people.
Sorry.

Doppler Drift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 04:17 PM
  #125
Sammy*
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,501
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
You mean superior talent assessment that had Toby Peterson playing the pp? Dustin Penner in the pb? Calling for Horcoff to be on the Olympic team last year?

Ya, he was a real savant. So much so, that the other 29 teams are clamouring to have him use his considerable evaluations skills for their teams.
God I get tired of your fabrications & having to do work to prove it.
Peterson received the 18th most pp time/game on that team.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.h...Name=timeOnIce

And oh,Penners 1st year under MacT he played all 82 games.
Nice try (again) though.

Sammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:08 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.