HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game #62 Colorado @ Los Angeles 4-3 L Final|What were you trying to win?

Old
02-26-2011, 11:44 PM
Mant*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchene2Mueller View Post
I know the avs had a lot of injuries this year but in 09 the core players were out most of year, this year a lot of the injuries are to the lesser players.
Mueller, Quincey, Fleischmann with season ending injuries. Stewart out for a month, Anderson out for a month, Yeah... none of that had any impact.

Mant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 11:45 PM
NHL33*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mules View Post
I am start to wonder if last year is over accomplishment. I think we may have too many sophomore slumpers in our team, or well... our coach is being exposed as rookie coach.
Sacco has been exposed but we've fallen back largely due to bad defense and bad goaltending this season. Then, of course, our offense fell apart but lots of that has to do with injuries and lack of cohesiveness, due to other teams using better strategy, inconsistent or poorly used effort, being "due" for a rough stretch, and injuries.

We knew the defense was going to take longer to rebuild due to the nature of development in forwards versus defensemen, but the offense put itself together so quickly that the difference is glaring. Goaltending, unfortunately, is Anderson being exposed and quitting on the team.

I didn't think coming into the season that we'd make the playoffs (just like I doubted last season) but I don't think we are as bad as our record reflects either talent wise. There will be more defensive work to be done, but the core has been clear throughout and by no means do I think last season was a fluke -- we played mostly 50% hockey with one really hot month and barely made it into the playoffs. We're more than capable of returning to that level very quickly with some key additions, smart drafting, luck/helath, and hopefully a couple of trades that are and aren't made.

Legitimate Stanley Cup contention will definitely take more time. Too premature to breach that topic now tbqh.

NHL33* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 11:48 PM
TheStranger

I'm hoping Sacco is getting the benefit of the doubt by them giving him next season, but I hope he's on a short leash...I.E 25 games of healthy team + additions/improvements added in the off-season. If they aren't in good standing by that point he should be shown the door.

TheStranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 11:55 PM
Duchene2MacKinnon
BELIEVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mant View Post
Mueller, Quincey, Fleischmann with season ending injuries. Stewart out for a month, Anderson out for a month, Yeah... none of that had any impact.
Mueller wasn't on this team last year, Anderson acoording to everybody here has sucked the whole year. The avs didn't struggle when Stewart was out, Fleischmann you have a point but that's one player. Also I like how some people are building up Quincey, forgeting he has sucked for pretty much his entire career in Colorado.

Duchene2MacKinnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 11:55 PM
hattrick3518

Okay, I've just gotta pop in and say hi here.

Watched part of the game (live) today, watched up until about the 10:00 mark of the 3rd so I missed all the Avs action of course. Watching the replay now. Anyways, way to go David Jones, hell of a year, and with him being up for a new contract this summer? I pray to god we resign him, he is a guy who just flies under the radar, who no one seems to recognize, yet he puts up 20+ goals this year. However, in watching the last half of the 3rd period, I see alot that I like. Johnson is bringing a lot to this team, and I am still in disbelief that we got him. He's got a ton to offer, and I pray that he stays in Colorado for many years, I know he has somewhat 'underperformed' in some peoples eyes, but for a defenseman, points aren't everything, the presence he has on the ice is undeniable, and I am really excited to watch him progress.

Next, onto Elliott, a much better game tonight, yes, he let in four goals, but he faced 42 shots. And in this game there aren't really any goals I can fault the guy on, unlike the Edmonton game. He really brought a better effort tonight and even though he let in four goals, he looked pretty good. Not exactly starter potential in my eyes, but I am happier watching the guy tonight, he brought everything he had and its nice to see a goalie in net that didn't give up on the game (Anderson).

Finally, Mcclement, this guy is going to fit in well here as a good 4th line center, who can kill penalties as well, his work ethic is something to be marveled. He's just a solid player, and he's going to jump in offensively whenever he can. I like his game for sure, he's got great ability in the faceoff circle and he is going to fit in well on the 3rd/4th line. He brings good jump and is solid in the defensive zone.

Unfortunately, this game was not as good as it looked on paper, when I stopped watching the game half way through the third it was just awful, nothing to really get excited about, getting killed 4-0. I am happy to see though that they brought it to 4-3, at least they didn't completely give up on this one.

hattrick3518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 11:56 PM
Mant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchene2Mueller View Post
Mueller wasn't on this team last year, Anderson acoording to everybody here has sucked the whole year. The avs didn't struggle when Stewart was out, Fleischmann you have a point but that's one player. Also I like how some people are building up Quincey, forgeting he has sucked for pretty much his entire career in Colorado.
Mueller wasn't on this team last year? News to me... and to everyone else.

Old
02-27-2011, 12:00 AM
Duchene2MacKinnon
BELIEVE

Quote:
Mueller wasn't on this team last year? News to me... and to everyone else.
Sorry he played 15 games my bad.

Duchene2MacKinnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 12:03 AM
Mant*

Peter McNab really ripped into them in the post game, saying how they should all be embarrassed especially after saying "we need to do this, that, and the other thing" and then go out and do none of it and get dominated.

Old
02-27-2011, 12:18 AM
Bill Peckerskull
Farging Ice Holes

Altitude need more of this from McNabb, Haynes, Engblom, etc. The only one that will usually tell it like it is, is Rycroft. I hate the turd polishing they seem forced to do when the team is playing like crap.

Bill Peckerskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 12:32 AM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Peckerskull View Post
Altitude need more of this from McNabb, Haynes, Engblom, etc. The only one that will usually tell it like it is, is Rycroft. I hate the turd polishing they seem forced to do when the team is playing like crap.
"after a great first period"

Granlund2Pulkkinen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 12:39 AM
avs1dacup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Peckerskull View Post
Disagree about Engblom. He tells it like it is like Rycroft, just to a lesser extent. When they're playing bad, he will say just that.

avs1dacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 12:50 AM
NWAvs

Perfect loss

NWAvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 01:00 AM
Joe Sakic
Goodbye ROR

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWAvs View Post
Perfect loss
#1 pick baby here we come

Joe Sakic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 01:26 AM
Mant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvsFan16 View Post
#1 pick baby here we come
Avs are good enough at losing that they would likely miss out on the 1st overall through the lottery.

Old
02-27-2011, 01:37 AM
the_fan

Blues must feel pretty embarrassed right now, they are the only team Avs could beat

the_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 01:41 AM
Mouse21*

Quote:
Avs are good enough at losing that they would likely miss out on the 1st overall through the lottery.
genius.

Mouse21* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 02:09 AM
NovaDG33

Quote:
Originally Posted by hattrick3518 View Post
Unfortunately, this game was not as good as it looked on paper, when I stopped watching the game half way through the third it was just awful, nothing to really get excited about, getting killed 4-0. I am happy to see though that they brought it to 4-3, at least they didn't completely give up on this one.
I was there too the entire game. True, the time that you were there, there wasn't much excitement. I can't complain about our PK tonight...haha either that or we just got lucky because the Kings weren't really shooting during their PP opportunities, especially the two 5-3s they had.

NovaDG33 is offline   Reply With Quote