HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Brad Richards to Edmonton?

Old
02-26-2011, 10:53 PM
Oilmageddon*
What are you hearing

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaaaBob View Post
Well 1st line center are worth more than 1st line wingers and Richards is a beast!!. I know Oiler fans will jump me for this, because every Oiler player is so awesome, but Hemsky isn't close to Richards, I'll take Richards any day and I like Hemsky!!.
I agree Schenn isn't on Halls level but the same is for Hemsky to Richards. Richards is a 90+ 2way 1st line center, Hemsky is a 70 point player winger... that's a big difference, most likely the difference between Schenn and Hall. Anyways no put go on with this.
Well kudos for a very reasonable post after a very unreasonable one.

Oilmageddon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 11:00 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer008 View Post
Just heard this on Hockeycentral, the panel mentioned the Rangers and Kings were still on Richards and then Millard said the Oilers were on him too.

First of all, why would he waive his NTC for Edmonton?

Second of all...Edmonton? That came out of left field.
Makes you wonder why Millard has a hard time holding down a job.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 11:03 PM
Wheatking

Quote:
Well 1st line center are worth more than 1st line wingers and Richards is a beast!!. I know Oiler fans will jump me for this, because every Oiler player is so awesome, but Hemsky isn't close to Richards, I'll take Richards any day and I like Hemsky!!.
I agree Schenn isn't on Halls level but the same is for Hemsky to Richards. Richards is a 90+ 2way 1st line center, Hemsky is a 70 point player winger... that's a big difference, most likely the difference between Schenn and Hall. Anyways no put go on with this.
I'm comparing the players values. Head to head, Richards destroys Hemsky. I'm saying until Richards signs a new contract their values are a lot closer than they'd usually be.

Wheatking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 11:05 PM
Joe Hallenback

Why would they give up anthing for a guy going to UFA?

I mean let's say he was going to sign here in the off season. Why go out and get him now? Makes no sense whatsoever

Joe Hallenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 11:05 PM
Oilfan2
Oil the way..

vCash: 1507
Quote:
Not sure where you get the 1st line center is worth more than the winger. If a winger gets 100 points and the center gets 70, is it still accurate? I realize there are other factors but a great player is a great player, no matter the position.
Yes, Richards is better than Hemsky as a player. Not much argument there. If a player is getting paid what he is, he'd better be. Otherwise the teams in trouble. Where things start to even out a little is in age and wage. Also keep in mind Richards was a ppg player only twice in his career, albiet 91 points twice.

Most Oiler fans would agree as well but it's when Hemmer is undervalued by other team's fans that Oiler fans tend to start to overvalue to compensate.
I'd love to have Richards on the Oilers but it wouldn't make sense at this time. The team is young and rebuilding. Just wouldn't be worth the cost.

Oilfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 11:26 PM
t0nedeff

Centers have way more responsibilities than a winger. Faceoffs are probably the biggest aspect of the center position.

t0nedeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 12:08 AM
GRIZZ

Why on earth would the Oilers want him? Unless he comes with an extension which Richards has already said, "wants to test the market"

GRIZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 12:16 AM
Bolt32

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenzOil View Post
any chance TB makes a push to get him back this offseason? I guess u guys are set with Stamkos and Vinny down the middle.
With Vinny reinventing himself. It would probably be best if he does end up playing winger. So a Richards signing could be done. It wont be his current cap hit though. I think the situation more depends on how bad does Richards want to come back more than how bad does the Lightning want him back.

Bolt32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 12:43 AM
TOML

Being a buyer when you're in the basement is awesome.

The odds of Richards signing in Edmonton are close to zero.

TOML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 12:46 AM
Oilmageddon*
What are you hearing

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMapleLaughs View Post

Oh I can see alot of Free agent Centers wanting to have Hall as their winger

Old
02-27-2011, 12:48 AM
dnicks17

If he waives his NTC to come to Edmonton, I would assume he'd be at least considering to sign an extension.

Why would he want to play for the last place team and end up testing free agency rather than just staying in Dallas for the last 20 games?

dnicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 12:49 AM
CalgaryFan1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by newoilburnsclean View Post
Oh I can see alot of Free agent Centers wanting to have Hall as their winger
What's your point? The OP is talking about trading for a soon to be free agent, and you're talking about signing a free agent. Apples and Oranges.

Doesn't make much sense to give up assets for someone you can get for free in a few months from Edmonton's POV.

CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 12:57 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 8345
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
If he agreed to an extension pre-trade, then there would be sense to it for Edmonton.

That said, I can't see how they'd accomplish that without Eberle/MPS going the other way, plus other assets, and I don't get how that makes any sense for what Edmonton is doing.
We are talking about Kevin Lowe here. Sense never enters into it.

I am the Liquor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 01:00 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 8345
Dallas trades Richards for Gagner, Petry and Smid.

Then Dallas signs Richards in the off-season.

Watch for it.

I am the Liquor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 01:03 AM
Oilmageddon*
What are you hearing

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMapleLaughs View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryFan1988 View Post
What's your point? The OP is talking about trading for a soon to be free agent, and you're talking about signing a free agent. Apples and Oranges.

Doesn't make much sense to give up assets for someone you can get for free in a few months from Edmonton's POV.
I was replying to his odds of richards signing in Edmonton not being traded , so what is your point . A little Hall envy

Old
02-27-2011, 01:20 AM
CalgaryFan1988

Quote:
I was replying to his odds of richards signing in Edmonton not being traded , so what is your point . A little Hall envy
His post was about Edmonton being a buyer, which doesn't make much sense. Just common hockey business sense. I actually agreed with you about Free agents maybe wanting to sign to play with Hall, but apparently you're too obnoxious to notice that part.

Old
02-27-2011, 01:22 AM
Oilmageddon*
What are you hearing

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryFan1988 View Post
His post was about Edmonton being a buyer, which doesn't make much sense. Just common hockey business sense. I actually agreed with you about Free agents maybe wanting to sign to play with Hall, but apparently you're too obnoxious to notice that part.
I would not trade for Richards now either , But i can definately see Edm going after him in the Summer

Old
02-27-2011, 01:24 AM
CalgaryFan1988

Quote:
I would not trade for Richards now either , But i can definately see Edm going after him in the Summer
and that's all I was saying....... I really don't understand how it would benefit Edmonton in any way to get into a bidding (trade deadline day) war with anyone over Richards. Makes zero sense, offseason is a total different scenario.

Old
02-27-2011, 01:38 AM
Tazzy13

Are we (the Oilers) allowed to negotiate a contract with Richards before we trade for him, or is that considered tampering

Tazzy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 01:39 AM
Paralyzer
Tier 13428 Oiler Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazzy13 View Post
Are we (the Oilers) allowed to negotiate a contract with Richards before we trade for him, or is that considered tampering
It's fine, as long as Dallas approves a team in discussing a long term contract. Otherwise, it is tampering.

Paralyzer is offline   Reply With Quote