HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dean Lombardi: Missed Opportunities, or Not?

Old
02-25-2011, 09:58 AM
wabwat

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to wabwat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
I recall reading something about Lombardi being instructed at the time to cut some salary at the time. This rumor circulated around the same time the team was rumored to be bought by the Boston Celtics owners.
yes.

wabwat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 10:39 AM
Whiskeypete

Quote:
Originally Posted by driller1 View Post
Typically (at least in the NFL) the charts only apply before the draft. Obviously once the players have a year or two, their "worth" changes depending on how they perform. This chart system (developed by Jimmy Johnson - then with the Cowboys) was instrumental in making real time draft day decisions on moving up and moving down. The Troy Aikman / Emmitt Smith dynasty was built with shrewd drafting and trading. Obviously everyone has these charts now at the draft, so its not a competitive advantage.
Your right D, Parcells is rumored to have started using a system like this before the Jimmy and Jerry show even. Who knows how far back and to what extent the system goes. Like I said it's just a tool, not an absolute.

Whiskeypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 01:26 AM
MIDSHIPMAN

Surprised nobody has mentioned the expansion draft. Terrible, just terrible.

MIDSHIPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 01:34 AM
sjmay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIDSHIPMAN View Post
Surprised nobody has mentioned the expansion draft. Terrible, just terrible.
Explain....

sjmay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 01:34 AM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
While it was a good trade, and I understand why DL did the trade too, I agree with you, it was a bit harsh.
I agree, but keep in mind that Lubo signed that contract. He could have had a different contract (possibly trade less $ for a NMC clause throughout the contract)

The contract was there for a reason. DL did his job, no matter how cut-throat it may seem.

RonSwanson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 02:00 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by adevandry View Post
I agree, but keep in mind that Lubo signed that contract. He could have had a different contract (possibly trade less $ for a NMC clause throughout the contract)

The contract was there for a reason. DL did his job, no matter how cut-throat it may seem.
I agree, and DL did a wonderful job of doing his job. I think something can be doing your job and cutthroat at the same time. This was it.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 10:08 AM
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskeypete View Post
it was a business decision that had to be made, his contract would have hamstrung DL as he re-built the team. iirc the dodgy part of it was that his NTC was to kick in and Dean traded him before it went into effect.
... Player decides not to waive the NTC he gained through negotiation - "That greedy and selfish MFer!!! How dare he exercise his rights?!?! He hung the team out to dry GAHHHHH!!!"

GM decides to trade player moments after said player committed himself to said GM's franchise - "It was a business decision. Had to be made. It seems cutthroat, but hey you gotta do what you gotta do."

Just want to see if I have this right.

JT Dutch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 02:01 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Dutch View Post
... Player decides not to waive the NTC he gained through negotiation - "That greedy and selfish MFer!!! How dare he exercise his rights?!?! He hung the team out to dry GAHHHHH!!!"

GM decides to trade player moments after said player committed himself to said GM's franchise - "It was a business decision. Had to be made. It seems cutthroat, but hey you gotta do what you gotta do."

Just want to see if I have this right.
I don't recall WhiskeyPete, or anyone else in this thread for that matter, calling a player greedy for not waiving a NTC.

Old
02-27-2011, 02:06 PM
Sam
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by adevandry View Post
I agree, but keep in mind that Lubo signed that contract. He could have had a different contract (possibly trade less $ for a NMC clause throughout the contract).
Visnovsky had a NMC throughout his new contract. His new contract wasn't in effect when he was traded.

Sam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 06:36 PM
wabwat

Send a message via AIM to wabwat
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
I don't recall WhiskeyPete, or anyone else in this thread for that matter, calling a player greedy for not waiving a NTC.

he's talking about Rob Blake.

wabwat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 07:46 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabwat View Post
he's talking about Rob Blake.
I think there was more behind that hate on then the fact he didn't waive it. There's a reason the greatest D-man in Kings history was boo-ed and still would be to this day if he was playing.

Old
02-27-2011, 10:00 PM
PSP
Couldn't Be Happier!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam View Post
Visnovsky had a NMC throughout his new contract. His new contract wasn't in effect when he was traded.
He signed the contract on July 17, 2007. It didn't kick in until July 1, 2008.

"I'm very happy that I'll be staying with this organization for a long time," Visnovsky told Canadian network TSN. "I love Los Angeles and I want to play in the playoffs with the Kings."

Lubo was traded on June 29, 2008

Any way you cut it, that was cold...

PSP is offline   Reply With Quote