HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Sabres going after Richards or Stastny

Old
02-27-2011, 09:11 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

vCash: 500
Awards:
Given the source of the article, Bruce has less than a sterling record for predictiveness. I'd take it with a grain of salt.

02-27-2011, 09:16 AM
the_fan

Stastny, Liles, Yip, Hunwick for Myers and 2nd

the_fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 09:33 AM
Goulet17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowley Birkin View Post
Kassian won't be moved and neither will Tyler Myers.

There have been multiple threads on in here recently. Closest one that I liked was something like Stafford, Enroth, one of Butler/Sekera/Weber and a 1st round pick for Budaj and Stastny. If Av's fans don't like it then maybe they could involve Ennis somewhere but Myers will never be involved I can almost guarantee it.
I don't see any realistic scenario in which the Avs would or could accept that kind of proposal for Stastny.

You just couldn't sell it to the Avs' fan base and the GM would likely end up losing his job.

Goulet17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 09:35 AM
static80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goulet17 View Post
I don't see any realistic scenario in which the Avs would or could accept that kind of proposal for Stastny.

You just couldn't sell it to the Avs' fan base and the GM would likely end up losing his job.
A deal could be worked out I am sure that doesn't include Myers or Kassian or even Ennis for that matter.
I don't think Stastny is going anywhere though.
Liles could generate some interest from the Sabres, I don't know how much, but he is reportedly good friends with Miller and since Lalime (who was reportedly kept on with presuasion from Miller) will be leaving, I can see something getting done there.

Would Liles go for a 2nd rounder as reported by Dreger? I don't know.

static80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 09:39 AM
ManOnTheMoon
Hejdas Gonna Hejd

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_fan View Post
Stastny, Liles, Yip, Hunwick for Myers and 2nd
Colorado needs to add a lot more if Buffalo is getting Hunwick.

ManOnTheMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 09:48 AM
Goulet17

Quote:
Originally Posted by static80 View Post
A deal could be worked out I am sure that doesn't include Myers or Kassian or even Ennis for that matter.
I don't think Stastny is going anywhere though.
Liles could generate some interest from the Sabres, I don't know how much, but he is reportedly good friends with Miller and since Lalime (who was reportedly kept on with presuasion from Miller) will be leaving, I can see something getting done there.

Would Liles go for a 2nd rounder as reported by Dreger? I don't know.
Perhaps a deal could be worked out, but to put it into perspective, that kind of deal would be akin to Colorado offering David Jones, one of Kyle Quincey/Ryan Wilson, prospect Stefan Elliot, and St. Louis' first round pick (in either 2011 or 2012) for Tyler Myers. Colorado would be offering some nice, solid players, but I have no doubt that Buffalo would'nt seriously consider that offer. Not to mention that every player and prospect mentioned that Buffalo proposal is an RFA after this season and will require negotiating a new contract.

The players that Colorado may have the most interest in (Miller/Myers) would be untouchable from the Sabres' viewpoint. It is the same old same old on these boards, every team wants to acquire a star player but they expect a trade package that doesn't include any of their best players or prospects to be enough.

In the real world, if you want to get, you have to give. The Avs have absolutely no reason to deal Statsny unless they receive young core talent in return. The only potential player in that proposal that comes close is Enroth, and Enroth's ceiling has to be questioned IMO due to his small stature.

Goulet17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 10:01 AM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goulet17 View Post
Perhaps a deal could be worked out, but to put it into perspective, that kind of deal would be akin to Colorado offering David Jones, one of Kyle Quincey/Ryan Wilson, prospect Stefan Elliot, and St. Louis' first round pick (in either 2011 or 2012) for Tyler Myers. Colorado would be offering some nice, solid players, but I have no doubt that Buffalo would'nt seriously consider that offer. Not to mention that every player and prospect mentioned that Buffalo proposal is an RFA after this season and will require negotiating a new contract.

The players that Colorado may have the most interest in (Miller/Myers) would be untouchable from the Sabres' viewpoint. It is the same old same old on these boards, every team wants to acquire a star player but they expect a trade package that doesn't include any of their best players or prospects to be enough.

In the real world, if you want to get, you have to give. The Avs have absolutely no reason to deal Statsny unless they receive young core talent in return. The only potential player in that proposal that comes close is Enroth, and Enroth's ceiling has to be questioned IMO due to his small stature.
I agree that there is no reason for Colorado to trade him, but Myers value >>> Statsny. It's not a comment on their abilities or their personality or the color of their hair or anything, but it's the simple fact that a potential cornerstone franchise defenseman has greater value than a potential franchise center.

BackGroundMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 10:15 AM
Selanne00008

Kassian would be moved before Myers. Myers is not going anywhere. Ever.

That being said, I would consider a deal around Kassian. kassian a 1st and a prospect? Or if AVS want an NHLer either Sekera or Ennis?

The Sabres will most liekly push to make a move via a trade. I feel like the Sabres are now the New jersey Nets of the NHL. Not in terms of lack of success, but they have a new nillionaire owner, but nobody wants to skate here. Once we make a trade for a big name player (Like Deron Williams), we can then make a move on July 1st since having someone like stastny here could entice another UFA to come here.

now we become an attractive team for UFAs to want to skate for.

I would hate to have to give up more than Kassian, a 1st and Ennis/Sekera. But, this move isn't being made to win the cup this year, it's being made as a statement and step in the right direction for this franchise. If we have to overpay, we have to do it.

Selanne00008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 10:29 AM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selanne00008 View Post
Kassian would be moved before Myers. Myers is not going anywhere. Ever.

That being said, I would consider a deal around Kassian. kassian a 1st and a prospect? Or if AVS want an NHLer either Sekera or Ennis?

The Sabres will most liekly push to make a move via a trade. I feel like the Sabres are now the New jersey Nets of the NHL. Not in terms of lack of success, but they have a new nillionaire owner, but nobody wants to skate here. Once we make a trade for a big name player (Like Deron Williams), we can then make a move on July 1st since having someone like stastny here could entice another UFA to come here.

now we become an attractive team for UFAs to want to skate for.

I would hate to have to give up more than Kassian, a 1st and Ennis/Sekera. But, this move isn't being made to win the cup this year, it's being made as a statement and step in the right direction for this franchise. If we have to overpay, we have to do it.
The difference in value between Ennis and Sekera is huge.

Old
02-27-2011, 10:36 AM
Havok89

Quote:
Originally Posted by seacard View Post
I think you're right. It's just that after seeing all these Leafs rumors and proposals (the latest one is Reimer + Komisarek for Stastny + Liles + prospect), anything even somewhat respectible sounds pretty good. I think Buffalo is a good trading partner because they need a guy like Stazz and a guy like Liles, and may be willing to overpay. Would you give up Liles + Stastny for Enroth + Myers + Kassian + 1st? That seems to me like a pretty good deal for the Avs.

Personally, I don't think the Avs should trade Stastny. The lineup looks decent for next year (although I am a bit nervous about the wings because Duke, Mueller, and Flash are such question marks), and I with Hishon coming up soon, and three early picks this year (our 1st and 2nd, and St. Louis's), the team is in good position.
Stasty and Liles wouldnt get Myers. If you're going to mention Myers, we're talking about Duchene

Havok89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 10:37 AM
Selanne00008

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikeGiftingMan View Post
The difference in value between Ennis and Sekera is huge.
Ok dumb question. How so? Ennis has what.. top 6 potential? I doubt he gets to Briere level. Sekera could be top 4 pairing for his career. Besides position, whats the big difference?

id probly be torn between the two, but would probly move Sekera before Ennis. TOo much toe dragging from Ennis, but I guess he will learn

Edit: Age difference as well. But Sekera is young too

Old
02-27-2011, 10:42 AM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selanne00008 View Post
Ok dumb question. How so? Ennis has what.. top 6 potential? I doubt he gets to Briere level. Sekera could be top 4 pairing for his career. Besides position, whats the big difference?

id probly be torn between the two, but would probly move Sekera before Ennis. TOo much toe dragging from Ennis, but I guess he will learn

Edit: Age difference as well. But Sekera is young too
Why do you doubt that Ennis gets to Briere level? Really similar style at the same age. Briere was leaned on more to carry the Coyotes, but the way they skate the game, think the game, and play the game is very similar. Both have great shots and both have great playmaking abilities.

Speaking strictly of the Sabres organizational strengths, they really shouldn't consider trading one of their only legitimate scoring prospects when they have boatloads of potential top4 d-man waiting in the wings.

Old
02-27-2011, 10:47 AM
Selanne00008

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikeGiftingMan View Post
Why do you doubt that Ennis gets to Briere level? Really similar style at the same age. Briere was leaned on more to carry the Coyotes, but the way they skate the game, think the game, and play the game is very similar. Both have great shots and both have great playmaking abilities.

Speaking strictly of the Sabres organizational strengths, they really shouldn't consider trading one of their only legitimate scoring prospects when they have boatloads of potential top4 d-man waiting in the wings.
More so just from a "what are the odds" view on things. Im sure there's plenty of players that have a skill set similar to briere, but he just seems to know where the puck will be and position himself on the ice for 80+ point seasons.

I agree he has a chance to get there though

Old
02-27-2011, 10:47 AM
Ralonzo
Я хочу!

Send a message via Yahoo to Ralonzo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
Cap-Cap floor and all, I think it would need to be. (Along the lines of)

Sekera
Connolly
Hecht
Enroth
Adam
Buffalo's 1st in 2011

For
Liles
Stastny
Why stop there? How about:

Buffalo Sabres

For
Liles
Stastny

Then just call up Portland minus 2

Ralonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 10:55 AM
lifeisruff

Sekera has yet to establish himself as a top 6 defensemen and he's 24. In Ennis first full year (at 20 years of age) he is projecting to have just under 20 goals and almost 50 points.

Ennis is tied for second among rookies in assist and 5th among rookies in points scored. Sekera is a puck moving defensemen who has 2 goals and 12 assist in 57 games.

lifeisruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 11:11 AM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

vCash: 50
As an Avs fan there is nothing Sabres have outside Miller and possibly Myers that would want me to consider trading Stastny. With the goalie market being what it is, I might not even go for Miller if it means giving up Stastny.

Sure, Buffalo have a bunch of prospects that might have a good future but I wouldn't trade the certainty of having a young #1C for the uncertainty of adding a bunch of kids that might not even be NHL ready. Avs already have that uncertainty with the young players they have.

Can these rumors please just die? The only 'real' rumor about Stastny was for Jack Johnson and Bernier. And that was before Avs got Erik Johnson. We don't even know if that rumor had any real basis in reality.

Assuming that Stastny would be shopped for a bunch of prospects and picks is silly. Stastny is pretty much the perfect type of player for a team less than two years into a rebuild.

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 11:15 AM
Jimmy Carter
Avs/Leafs fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManOnTheMoon View Post
Colorado needs to add a lot more if Buffalo is getting Hunwick.

True, probably shouldn't have Buffalo add that 2nd either if Hunwick is involved

Jimmy Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 11:16 AM
Selanne00008

^^^^ You make amazing points.

But, it's an article, and this is the Trade Rumor forum of HF, what else should we discuss? No reason to vent in the thread that you hate. Just ignore it right???

Old
02-27-2011, 11:19 AM
Jimmy Carter
Avs/Leafs fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havok89 View Post
Stasty and Liles wouldnt get Myers. If you're going to mention Myers, we're talking about Duchene
Hence, we never should have been talking about Stastny to begin with. Avs wouldn't move him for less than Myers, Sabres won't do that. There's no deal to be had here.

If you want Liles, that's a more realistic trade between these two teams

Jimmy Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 11:31 AM
Tra La La

I think if this were to happen? It would be Today. Being (If done) likely a mega deal, Buffalo would need time to make another move or 2 afterwards.

Tra La La is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 11:36 AM
static80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Carter View Post
Hence, we never should have been talking about Stastny to begin with. Avs wouldn't move him for less than Myers, Sabres won't do that. There's no deal to be had here.

Agreed.
And on that note, given the friendship between Miller and Liles, and Liles numbers career wise better than Leopold, what would be a good deal for Liles?

My personal view, only opinion mind you, is that Buffalo pick up Liles.
Myers - Liles
Weber - Leopold

Would like to see that combination.

I don't know if Buffalo moves Montador or re-signs him. He is coveted to some extent. Anyways, that's my thoughts on the Buffalo D with Liles in the mix.

static80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 11:55 AM
BloFan4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Carter View Post

Just my opinion but I think there is some behind the scenes stuff going on with Stastny. I don't think his father would come out and say that if Paul didn't come to his father to vent a little. Everyone knows that a father's word will also be the biggest when it comes to their kids. I just don't see Stastny being put in rumors by some big sources just randomly. It's not like you see Zetterberg, Sedin, Nash, Staal in these rumors. There has to be some basis of these rumors.

Myers and Stastny are two different leagues to. Myers is a Calder trophy winner who has size that you can't teach who is 20 years old. His skating is like no other and has unlimited potential.

Stastny is 26 and on a big contract. His potential is reached and that is around a 75 point center.

Sorry but Myers is in a whole another league in regards to Stastny. He isn't much different than Roy but Roy is on a much nicer contract.

BloFan4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 12:28 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 4250
Quote:
Originally Posted by BloFan4Life View Post
Just my opinion but I think there is some behind the scenes stuff going on with Stastny. I don't think his father would come out and say that if Paul didn't come to his father to vent a little. Everyone knows that a father's word will also be the biggest when it comes to their kids. I just don't see Stastny being put in rumors by some big sources just randomly. It's not like you see Zetterberg, Sedin, Nash, Staal in these rumors. There has to be some basis of these rumors.

Myers and Stastny are two different leagues to. Myers is a Calder trophy winner who has size that you can't teach who is 20 years old. His skating is like no other and has unlimited potential.

Stastny is 26 and on a big contract. His potential is reached and that is around a 75 point center.

Sorry but Myers is in a whole another league in regards to Stastny. He isn't much different than Roy but Roy is on a much nicer contract.
Roy's career PPG: .8166
Stastny's career PPG: .9371

That's a pretty damn big difference if you ask me.

And how can you say that his potential is "reached" already?

And for the record, he just turned 25....

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 12:34 PM
the_fan

Stastny will regress if he doesn't have decent wingers to play with next year. If no Mueller, no Flash, he's gonna have Porter, Jones, Stoa, and Hejduk if he doesn't retire. With the exception of Hejduk, Stastny will not benefit playing with those wingers to get his point production up, instead he'll go from 70-75 points to about 60-65.

the_fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 12:59 PM
SabresFanNorthPortFL

Just a question Col fans....a couple of you have mentioned either Myers/Miller must be included.

So what do you think of Miller for Stansy?

As of right now, Miller is the face of our franchise, and after the Olympics, the face of American hockey. We all know he's good and as goalies go, just entering his prime.

So?

SabresFanNorthPortFL is offline   Reply With Quote