HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

[NYR/FLA] Tim Kennedy/2011 3rd Round Pick for Bryan McCabe

Old
02-27-2011, 12:12 AM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

vCash: 500
Bumps Gilroy from the starting lineup?

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 12:16 AM
Swept In Seven
Muh Offensive Talent

vCash: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan Blue View Post
Bumps Gilroy from the starting lineup?
hopefully

Swept In Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 12:49 AM
BwayBshirt

I don't know how much McCabe will shoot the puck with New York now.

But, outside of Leetch the Rangers haven't had a mad bomber on D since Schneider.

That's 11 years too long.

It's been an endless string of failed PP QB's since the lockout. This, I hope, can't hurt.

Last edited by BwayBshirt: 02-27-2011 at 12:57 AM.
BwayBshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 01:02 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
I haven't read through the thread, but have the usual suspects been complaining about wasting a pick and THE FUTUREEEE!!(!@#&!@!? at all?

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 01:13 AM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
I haven't read through the thread, but have the usual suspects been complaining about wasting a pick and THE FUTUREEEE!!(!@#&!@!? at all?
I think most of "us" are ok with moving the 3rd and Kennedy to bolster the D for the playoff push.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 01:18 AM
Revelation
Reanimated

Quote:
I think most of agree we basically got him for nothing. Kennedy, who wasn't going to see time with the big club because of waiver issues, and a 3rd in a supposedly weak draft is a pretty good deal, especially given what other rentals have gotten.

Revelation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 01:19 AM
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard

Quote:
Nah, not me. I thought the trade was a steal and addressed a very pressing need.

Wraparounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 01:23 AM
SML

I haven't brought it up in a while, but I think its good to bring in a guy like this, being that nobody on our coaching staff, last I checked, ever played nhl defense. So I'm sure he knows a few dirty little tricks to get by that our kids can use. I mean didn't this guy invent the canopener stick through the legs trick? They made that penalty and he's still managed to hang around. Good trade, imo.

SML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 01:30 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
To me, this is one of the best trades Sather has ever made. It's an absolute no brainer. Even if this is a total flop and does nothing, we need a vet d-man like him right now. In the worst way. Giving up a spare part and a 3rd round pick? My God. Where do I sign?

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 03:04 AM
raist

I love this trade, nicely done Mr. Sather.

raist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 05:27 AM
donpaulo
Capt Barry Beck

gee maybe if things work out they can bring him back next year... then again with the rebuilding and what not

but I am really hoping he is the spark that ignite a powerplay that has looked better over the past week or two

donpaulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 05:54 AM
GAGLine

I'm very surprised that we didn't send any salary the other way. Maybe all the other bonuses require the player to play 82 games? Only Stepan has a chance to do that.

Even if none of the other bonuses are earned, we know that Prospal's has been, and as of right now we won't have enough left at the end of the season to fully pay it off.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 08:36 AM
abev
HFBoards Sponsor

Mc Cabes's value is his age and experience. The Rangers have no dmen who've been there. Actually they have very few who've been deep in to the Playoffs.

abev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 08:42 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abev View Post
Mc Cabes's value is his age and experience. The Rangers have no dmen who've been there. Actually they have very few who've been deep in to the Playoffs.
I wasn't pro-McCabe, but I think it's a good point. His experience and leadership is something that can benefit this group no matter far they go.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 08:46 AM
azrok22

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
I'm very surprised that we didn't send any salary the other way. Maybe all the other bonuses require the player to play 82 games? Only Stepan has a chance to do that.

Even if none of the other bonuses are earned, we know that Prospal's has been, and as of right now we won't have enough left at the end of the season to fully pay it off.
I'm not surprised . . . given the paltry value returned for McCabe, you have to assume that the $$$ savings was a big part of why Florida made this deal.

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 08:51 AM
TheDave1022

Quote:
Originally Posted by BwayBshirt View Post
I don't know how much McCabe will shoot the puck with New York now.

But, outside of Leetch the Rangers haven't had a mad bomber on D since Schneider.

That's 11 years too long.

It's been an endless string of failed PP QB's since the lockout. This, I hope, can't hurt.
I would have say that Zubov was probably the best at shooting from the point.

TheDave1022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 09:32 AM
Garv23

A solid veteran D with playoff experience, who is smooth on the point on the PP and though 35, still plays with an edge? All we give in return is Tim Kennedy and a 3rd rounder? How is any Ranger fan not happy with this? He's no Lidstrom, not even close, but he's steady and most important, a veteran presence.

Nice move Glen!

Garv23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 09:37 AM
Tawnos
BoH Mod Only

What happened to all the people who were upset that we traded a 3rd rounder for Boyle?

This trade was exactly what one would hope it would be. Now the question is whether or not we do anything else.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 09:54 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Havent been on the internet since Friday night, so i opened the Sunday Record this morning and saw the trade on the front page and I was like "awww ****, who did we give up??"

Gotta say this isnt a bad deal at all - dont the Rangers have 2 2nd rounders this draft? or am i thinking about last year? Anyway - the 3rd rounds been pretty good for us but with the depth the Rangers have in their prospect pool they might be able to get that back.

Cant complain about this one really - now as far as McCabe goes - he's always been a good point getter, and that shot on the PP should really help this team. The problem with the Rangers will be GETTING him the puck quickly enough to get that shot off, and getting to the front of the net. I think most teams will key on him since hes obviously the new go-to guy - so it could open things up for a guy like MZA or Wolski - who ever is on that other point. That will be just as important to the Rangers PP as McCabe is.

But hey- the Rangers needed an offensive defenseman, a PP QB. Hes an upcoming UFA, no loss there. Not sure how effective he is at it at this point- but its worth a shot. Florida is almost dead last in PP, so thats not saying much. Its not like we are getting Chara here.

But just hit the net with that thing, and play defense. Thats all I ask.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 09:56 AM
Janerixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDave1022 View Post
I would have say that Zubov was probably the best at shooting from the point.
Zubov's shot was extremely underrated, but he was more of a passing/play-making point man. He was so deceptive with his hunched over style, it was hard for opponents to tell if he was looking pass or shot.

We did have a mad bomber for a little while last season, anyone remember Kotalik hahah.

Janerixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 10:02 AM
bubba5

Good trade on paper, hope it works out for us on the ice.

bubba5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 10:08 AM
Janerixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
What happened to all the people who were upset that we traded a 3rd rounder for Boyle?

This trade was exactly what one would hope it would be. Now the question is whether or not we do anything else.
The fact that Sather didn't do a conference call like he usually does after a trade shows he is busy and working on something else (assume Richards, maybe something else). Whether he is able to complete that trade or working on something else entirely remains to be seen.

The remaining trade options I really see are
1) top line center (Richards as we all know)
2) Another big winger who could help in the playoffs and score goals (Penner - we all know he loves to trade with Edmonton)
3) adding a chippy 3rd-4th line grinding winger who can fight to take pressure off of Prust and since Boogard is basically done (Chris Neil), more of a depth move but unlikely since Neil doesn't want to play here and Drury past

Those are really the only type things I can see Sather doing IMO

Old
02-27-2011, 10:23 AM
darrenturcotte#8

3rd rounder to rent a player that fills a void is great. My fear is that Sather then re-signs him for more than 2 yrs at $4m+/yr. McCabe has a long history of being a dirtbag player whos more interested in a paycheck then he is playing hockey. But when he does want to play, he's a legit top pair d-man and the QB on the PP... Just gotta keep him motivated. I expect he'll be quite good the rest of this season.

darrenturcotte#8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 10:42 AM
Janerixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrenturcotte#8 View Post
3rd rounder to rent a player that fills a void is great. My fear is that Sather then re-signs him for more than 2 yrs at $4m+/yr. McCabe has a long history of being a dirtbag player whos more interested in a paycheck then he is playing hockey. But when he does want to play, he's a legit top pair d-man and the QB on the PP... Just gotta keep him motivated. I expect he'll be quite good the rest of this season.
Unless he is amazing here, he won't be re-signed, he is 35 so any contract he gets is on the cap unless he is traded. I can't see Sather giving him that kind of money and for 2 years unless we do some real damage in the playoffs and he is a key to us being successful. I just don't see that happening, maybe a 1 year deal is possible, but thats a lot of money and he wants Richards so I don't see how McCabe fits into the cap.

Old
02-27-2011, 11:07 AM
KreiMeARiver
Have Confidence

Quote:
haha I don't care at all about the price. I'm simply saying some of us should temper our expectations about McCabe's skills. They have eroded substantially, as this isn't 2003.

Hopefully he still has something left in the tank and can help our PP.

KreiMeARiver is offline   Reply With Quote