HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The problem with trading MDZ

Old
02-27-2011, 11:48 AM
howztheglass

vCash: 500
The problem with trading MDZ

The way I see it is if the Ranger's are thinking of moving MDZ they don't have anyone in the minors currently to replace him.We do have multiple D-man that we could add to our depth but not 1 is an offensive D-man.

Currently in our system we have,

McIlrath
Kund
Pashnin
Valentenko
Heikkinen

And on the club now,

McD
Sauer
Staal
Girardi
Gilroy

Not 1 of these player's if as gifted offensively as MDZ.Now I'm not saying we can't trade him but losing him in any deal could hurt our team.

Call me crazy but if somehow we but trade for Richards--a deal centered around MDZ and AA possible a 2 round pick--we would be able to have Richards on the point for multiple years to come and there would be less of a need for MDZ.

Fire away!!!

howztheglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 11:53 AM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Best offense is a strong defense.

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 11:54 AM
broadwayblue

Why do you believe the Rangers are thinking about trading MDZ? He's a highly skilled young dman who is learning how to play the game at the NHL level. Seriously, where did you hear the organization talk of moving him? I think a lot of fans assume that if a kid isn't fully developed by 20 then he's a bust. Obviously this is far from reality.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 11:56 AM
xxxZENxxx

I am sure the Rangers will once again reach on a player in this year's draft to fill that need if MDZ is traded... which is probably the worst thing you can do while drafting. Hence why we have McIlrath instead of Fowler... which is ironic considering Fowler would have been quite useful if we trade MDZ.

xxxZENxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 11:56 AM
Blatant
Formerly NYRFan1823

He is gonna finish the year in the AHL, he is going to gain some much needed confidence, and get some much needed experience. He is going to play 22+ minutes a night, is going to QB the PP, and play on the PK. He needs to be in the AHL, he is 20, and he is a huge part of our future. He is not being traded. Period.

Blatant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 12:01 PM
howztheglass

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Why do you think the Rangers are thinking about trading MDZ? He's a highly skilled young dman who is learning how to play the game at the NHL level. Seriously, where did you hear the organization talk of moving him? I think a lot of fans assume that if a kid isn't fully developed by 20 then he's a bust. Obviously this is far from reality.
Not saying the Ranger's are thinking about trading MDZ but I've read multilpe reports that taems have inquired about him.

Dallas is known to have ask for him in any trade for Richards--even LB reported this morning that as many as a dozen teams have spoken about him.

While I agree that he's young I don't believe that he's untouchable,I also stated that if the Ranger's did trade him how it could hurt our org.

Old
02-27-2011, 12:04 PM
howztheglass

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxZENxxx View Post
I am sure the Rangers will once again reach on a player in this year's draft to fill that need if MDZ is traded... which is probably the worst thing you can do while drafting. Hence why we have McIlrath instead of Fowler... which is ironic considering Fowler would have been quite useful if we trade MDZ.
Your right but drafting McIlrath did fill a need in this years draft that we have not had in our system for a long time.

Old
02-27-2011, 12:06 PM
howztheglass

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRfan1823 View Post
He is gonna finish the year in the AHL, he is going to gain some much needed confidence, and get some much needed experience. He is going to play 22+ minutes a night, is going to QB the PP, and play on the PK. He needs to be in the AHL, he is 20, and he is a huge part of our future. He is not being traded. Period.
We will find out by 3pm tomorrow.

Only way I'm thinking of moving him is for Richards.

Old
02-27-2011, 12:07 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by howztheglass View Post
Not saying the Ranger's are thinking about trading MDZ but I've read multilpe reports that taems have inquired about him.

Dallas is known to have ask for him in any trade for Richards--even LB reported this morning that as many as a dozen teams have spoken about him.

While I agree that he's young I don't believe that he's untouchable,I also stated that if the Ranger's did trade him how it could hurt our org.
He's not untouchable...but I would be shocked if he is traded for an over 30 year old rental. Just don't see it happening. That's 180 degrees from what this organization has been doing in recent years. Simply put, I'll be shocked if he's moved for a player who is 10+ years older.

Old
02-27-2011, 12:10 PM
Miller Time NYR
Wrong^

I completly agree we dont have any offensively gifted talent in the pipes right now, it was MDZ and sanguenetti(wrong). Now it's just MDZ,I understand Richards can QB the pp but is that where we really want him? And I still think a defense needs at least one OFD amongst a mainly shutdown defense with some occasional offensive talent. Trading MDZ for any package without an OFD coming back would open up yet another hole in this teams Offense and more importantly PP even if he's not producing teams know hes a threat and play him accordingly. I could see us trading MDZ if we had another promising young offensive defenseman in the pipes but we don't.

Miller Time NYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 12:15 PM
John Torturella

Its wont be difficult to find a player that doesn't play very well on either side of the puck.

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 12:16 PM
SML

I don't think he should be untouchable. He happens to play the position that we've somehow stumbled into incredible depth at, which is young high level defensemen. I know you can argue none of them are proven commodities yet. But there has to be an incredible competetive level on this roster at that position. You either produce or someone else is taking your spot. There is no reason for us to be giving a one dimensional defenseman icetime. I think organizationally, the team is making the right move for demanding that MDZ round out his game and not allowing him to just play his strength and accept his weakness. If he doesn't step up, then he can step off. There will be another guy coming down the pipe eventually that can do both. I know the monday morning quartebackers are never going to forgive us passing on Fowler if MDZ can't cut it here, but whatever. One thing I have complete faith in Sather about is spotting a dog when he shows his true colors. He's drafted some doozies, but when he cuts bait on them, they are generally just that. If Sather trades him, there's a reason, and bear in mind that he knows everything about the kid where we don't know anything other than what we see on tv.

SML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 12:23 PM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

He's only 20 and has a vision unlike any other Dman in the Rangers organization. He's the closest thing to Zubov they've had since.

Let him be.

White Plains Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 12:40 PM
Rangers44*

I wouldn't mind Christensen + Del Zotto for Richards + 2nd rounder

Rangers44* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 12:43 PM
SML

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Plains Batman View Post
He's only 20 and has a vision unlike any other Dman in the Rangers organization. He's the closest thing to Zubov they've had since.

Let him be.
When you think about the Dmen theyve had since he left, how hard is it to really be closer in style to Zubov than any of them?

Old
02-27-2011, 12:45 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Youth for Age trades like MDZ for Brad is exactly what got us in trouble in the mid-90s.

We need to not do this. I am not convinced we need Brad. Not because of his skill, but because of his age. The Rangers won't win the Cup the next couple of years, and who knows if Brad will still be an elite center in a few years. Meanwhile, MDZ is the only offensive blueliner in the system.

I remember everyone hated Zubov after the 1995 playoffs when he played poor defense, so we traded him for Robitaille. How did that work out?

I am also opposed to wasting pucks on McCabe and Antropov. Who knows what those picks would become.

Look, Horak was a 6th rounder and I would take a prospect like him over any rental.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 12:48 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Gotta love drafting for need.

02-27-2011, 12:52 PM
Blatant
Formerly NYRFan1823

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangers44 View Post
I wouldn't mind Christensen + Del Zotto for Richards + 2nd rounder
Dallas wouldn't do that.

Blatant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 12:54 PM
howztheglass

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerEsq View Post
Youth for Age trades like MDZ for Brad is exactly what got us in trouble in the mid-90s.

We need to not do this. I am not convinced we need Brad. Not because of his skill, but because of his age. The Rangers won't win the Cup the next couple of years, and who knows if Brad will still be an elite center in a few years. Meanwhile, MDZ is the only offensive blueliner in the system.

I remember everyone hated Zubov after the 1995 playoffs when he played poor defense, so we traded him for Robitaille. How did that work out?

I am also opposed to wasting pucks on McCabe and Antropov. Who knows what those picks would become.

Look, Horak was a 6th rounder and I would take a prospect like him over any rental.
What's tough is the Ranger's draft better in the later rounds then in the first.

Old
02-27-2011, 12:57 PM
howztheglass

Quote:
Dallas wouldn't do that.
Agreed Dallas is most likely looking for something based like this

MDZ
AA
Gilroy(cap reasons)
2nd pick(Washington's)

for Richards
and maybe a 3rd (we could get back for McCabe)

Got to give to get it's NOT like Sather going to get Richards for
EC
Gilroy
and 7th

Old
02-27-2011, 12:58 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:

Yeah, I still have my doubts about signing him on July 1. He'll be 31...the core of our team is much younger. As they are rounding out their games he'll be entering the downward end of his career. Doesn't seem like a great fit to me. To consider trading major assets for him seems very risky...and to add his health concerns on top of that makes it crazy. I truly hope we stay the course.

Old
02-27-2011, 01:04 PM
SML

Quote:

I think youre comparing apples and oranges with the Zubov trade. The way I remember it, the Flyers wore Zubov out physically. Just punished him relentlessly. The entire league came to snap judgement and overreaction to the style those guys were playing, which caused all those mammoth size players like Cullimore and the like, while guys like Marty St. Louis were passing through waivers. I think they traded Zubov more because they felt he had a weakness that was going to be continually exposed by the increase in physical play, more than trading him for what they thought the return would be. As we all know, it was a mistake. Never should have been done. Too late now. I'd trade MDZ in a package for Stastny, not for Richards.

Old
02-27-2011, 01:06 PM
Rangers44*

Quote:
Dallas wouldn't do that.
they did much worse with Niskanen/Neal trade

Rangers44* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 01:07 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by SML View Post
I think youre comparing apples and oranges with the Zubov trade. The way I remember it, the Flyers wore Zubov out physically. Just punished him relentlessly. The entire league came to snap judgement and overreaction to the style those guys were playing, which caused all those mammoth size players like Cullimore and the like, while guys like Marty St. Louis were passing through waivers. I think they traded Zubov more because they felt he had a weakness that was going to be continually exposed by the increase in physical play, more than trading him for what they thought the return would be. As we all know, it was a mistake. Never should have been done. Too late now. I'd trade MDZ in a package for Stastny, not for Richards.
Exactly the kind of a trade that would potentially make sense for THIS team. Stastny may never become the player that Richards is now...but he fits the blueprint of the team much much more closely.

Old
02-27-2011, 01:43 PM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by howztheglass View Post
The way I see it is if the Ranger's are thinking of moving MDZ they don't have anyone in the minors currently to replace him.We do have multiple D-man that we could add to our depth but not 1 is an offensive D-man.

Currently in our system we have,

McIlrath
Kund
Pashnin
Valentenko
Heikkinen

And on the club now,

McD
Sauer
Staal
Girardi
Gilroy

Not 1 of these player's if as gifted offensively as MDZ.Now I'm not saying we can't trade him but losing him in any deal could hurt our team.

Call me crazy but if somehow we but trade for Richards--a deal centered around MDZ and AA possible a 2 round pick--we would be able to have Richards on the point for multiple years to come and there would be less of a need for MDZ.

Fire away!!!
I'm glad you posted this because I've been saying the same thing. If we trade Del Zotto, there really aren't many options in the way of adding a PP QB/ Offensive Dman. In 2011 and 2012 FA the only PMD who will be in his prime and worth signing is Brent Burns (2012). The rest of the FA PMD's are all short term solutions. Of course there is the draft, but guys like Fowler and DZ don't come along often. Most Dmen need a few years to develop. Unless we can draft a guy who can step right in like DZ did, we will be void of a PMD for at least a couple years.

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote