HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Player of the Game & The Good, The Bad, The Redden: Game #64 vs. Tampa Bay Lightning

View Poll Results: Player of the Game: Game #64 vs. Tampa Bay Lightning
Brian Boyle 3 3.66%
Ryan Callahan 5 6.10%
Dan Girardi 0 0%
Steve Eminger 2 2.44%
Henrik Lundqvist 7 8.54%
Bryan McCabe 15 18.29%
Ryan McDonagh 13 15.85%
Brandon Prust 21 25.61%
Michael Sauer 9 10.98%
Derek Stepan 4 4.88%
Other 3 3.66%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-27-2011, 03:42 PM
Blue Line Monster

vCash: 500
I'm not one to complain much about the refs, but man they were AWFUL. Like 3-4 of our penalties were phantom BS calls. They also missed Roloson playing it in the trapezoid..I mean that's a clear black and white penalty.

Then after all these bad calls I'm waiting for a make up call and Dubi gets kinda tripped and they put the whistles away. Just hilarious.

Blue Line Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
Because the worst player on our team by far, didn't completely suck like he usually does, we should give him a medal? Gilroy is probably the worst overall starting defensemen in the NHL. So was Redden last year. Gilroy, Redden, what's the difference?
Except he DID completely suck today. I can count 2 instances off the top of my head where his complete inability to be physical lead to a scoring chance.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Sticky Fingers
NYR

Quote:
Because the worst player on our team by far, didn't completely suck like he usually does, we should give him a medal? Gilroy is probably the worst overall starting defensemen in the NHL. So was Redden last year. Gilroy, Redden, what's the difference?
somewhere around 5 millions?

Sticky Fingers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 03:43 PM
Machinehead
ActingLikeAStempniak

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Compared to the 0 SOG the rest of our defense is used to registering, yes. He had a huge bomb near the end of the game and a big keep in.

He looked great for getting rid of tim kennedy.
It was a solid start, but next game I want a point. You have to build on it.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 03:43 PM
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard

Stat to note: we dominated faceoffs 34-52.

Wraparounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 03:44 PM
Machinehead
ActingLikeAStempniak

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellohf View Post
somewhere around 5 millions?
I don't care if you're beer league for seven, or beer league for two. If you're a bad player I don't want you on the team. Matt Gilroy is a bad player, I don't know how anyone could argue that.

Old
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janerixon View Post
Yeah it looked like a spear, no penalty and he won't be disciplined although he is a repeat offender. The league is a joke...
I'd really really like to see a replay of that. MSG never went back to it. Anyone DVR the game and can find it? It happened so fast but the two tangled up and McDonagh stopped Downie, and then all of a sudden was hunched over hurting a whole bunch after the puck was long gone

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Bardof425*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Mastrosimone View Post
I like McCabe. He gives us an actual point shot.

Good: Prust, I guess
Bad: Everything
The Redden: Taking multiple penalties in the 3rd period against a top powerplay team.
We had three calls against us in the third, but we only took one (Boyle). How can the Redden be something we didn't do? Are you saying the refs are the Redden. Because if you're blaming the Rangers for those other two calls, try watching golf.

Bardof425* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 03:45 PM
Janerixon

At least that was game in this awful month for our team, time for a fresh start and we really need to beat the Sabres on Tuesday. HUGE game, hopefully we get Staal back

Janerixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 03:45 PM
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard

The Alexander Frolov Memorial Trophy went to the The Ghost of Alex Frolov, as the team failed to register a single wraparound attempt.

Old
02-27-2011, 03:46 PM
Xtranova

Quote:
Wade Redden + Matt Gilroy = Made Reddroy

Xtranova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
RyanBozak

Send a message via AIM to RyanBozak
Yeah, I was complaining about the reffing to but let's face it;
When your team has more scoring chances (and more goals this game) while being shorthanded than on the PP or even at even strength, we shouldn't be completely pissed. That's atrocious on the team's part.

Tampa played well defensively and we haven't found a solution to overcoming their style of defense. Our players do NOT move the puck fast enough to get rid of the pressure Tampa puts on our forecheck or our wingers when we're along the boards. We saw brief shades of what we actually need to do to correct this in the last minute of the game. The forwards need to draw Tampa down low and we need to move it to the point and move the puck a lot more quickly than what we normally do. Throw a player or two in front of the next and fire from the point. Tampa leaves one defensemen sitting in front of the net while defending, there's no reason why we shouldn't have trouble adjusting to this.

Overall, just disappointing. Frustrating as if we lose on Tuesday we're really screwing ourselves over with losses like this.

RyanBozak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraparounds View Post
The Alexander Frolov Memorial Trophy went to the The Ghost of Alex Frolov, as the team failed to register a single wraparound attempt.
Actually prospal attempted one earlier in the game.

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Glennsoe
Horndog

For this game I liked that Young Kid McCabe and that Veteran Stepan....

Or was it the other around ? They both played so good today they could've been mistaken for both "roles"...

Glennsoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
We didn't create much offense... It bothers me tremendously to see Tampa's blueline pass they way out of every situation defensively,
Yeah, this too. The Rangers forecheck seemed out of sync. Tamps's defensemen almost always had time to make a play, and had someone open to make a play to. For stretches the Rangers got things going and pressured Tampa well, especially in the second half of the 2nd, but just too often the Rangers didn't go in hard enough and make Tampa cough the puck up. especially annoying was that they could pass it to someone standing in front of their own net

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Machinehead
ActingLikeAStempniak

Quote:
Give it to Gilroy, the 26 year old "kid" had a solid game zomg!!

Old
02-27-2011, 03:47 PM
Bardof425*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosehead777 View Post
I can understand if some are upset with the refs.......but.........

What happens when we lose like this and we have more power plays than the opposition......

Even if it was evident that the refs cost us the game.......

We make too many excuses for this team......

You gotta score to win they pressure and get shots on goal with 25 seconds left but the rest of the game they cycle and cycle and cycle with no results and they play with no sense of urgency.
The problem is that for the key 20 or so minutes in the middle of the game we were short for more than half of it. And that kills momentum and wears down your D. Then in the third, you get two phantom calls on Girardi and Dubi and that is very difficult to come back from. Impossible? Of course not. But, the refs should not be the story and in this one they are.

Bardof425* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Machinehead
ActingLikeAStempniak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtranova View Post
Wade Redden + Matt Gilroy = Made Reddroy
Combined, they might be able to cover a jar. A foward? Not a chance, but maybe a jar.

Old
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagr68NYR94Leetch View Post
Actually prospal attempted one earlier in the game.
Give me a time, I'll go to the tape. I didn't see one though.

Old
02-27-2011, 03:48 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Gilroy isnt an NHL defenseman. He's been super lucky that two rookies have taking a lot of pressure off the group.

The thing about Gilroy is that he's supposed to be a puck mover and provide offense. I cant get excited because he makes one or two good defensive plays a game (which he rarely does). I want to see him lead a rush up the ice (like Sauer did today) or make a tape-to-tape pass that leads to a goal (like MacD did today)

I'll be the farm that the only guys defending Gilroy are either from LI or went to BU.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 03:49 PM
OverTheCap

McCabe was good in his Rangers debut. Gilroy - ugh. Girardi was horrendous... inopportune pinching, bad cross ice passes, shots are either wide or blocked. The defense always makes these bad mistakes against the Lightning, and it costs them almost every time.

Newbury holds the Avery and Prust line back. Prust gets most of his minutes on the PK and Avery rarely plays. Sounds like Feds' injury isn't serious so hopefully he'll be back soon.

The offense really struggled, which is predictable considering the Rangers have problems beating trap teams. And when they did have opportunities, they were ripping shots wide or shooting into players. EC has fallen back to earth once again. The Pack line needs to capitalize on some of their opportunities.

Officiating was brutal. Our PP is bad so it didn't even matter, but I hate it when the refs try to dictate the outcome of the game. Dubinsky's "interference" was laughable.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 03:49 PM
Machinehead
ActingLikeAStempniak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Savvy Lee View Post
Gilroy isnt an NHL defenseman. He's been super lucky that two rookies have taking a lot of pressure off the group.

The thing about Gilroy is that he's supposed to be a puck mover and provide offense. I cant get excited because he makes one or two good defensive plays a game (which he rarely does). I want to see him lead a rush up the ice (like Sauer did today) or make a tape-to-tape pass that leads to a goal (like MacD did today)

I'll be the farm that the only guys defending Gilroy are either from LI or went to BU.
Making 1 or 2 defensive plays a game isn't cutting it when McDonagh is 5 years younger and making 1 or 2 every shift.

Old
02-27-2011, 03:50 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Give me a time, I'll go to the tape. I didn't see one though.
Honestly, can't remember. I think the second period. Not really sure. I know it wasnt in the 3rd. I know that doesnt narrow it down though.

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 03:51 PM
NCRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Savvy Lee View Post
I really cant blame the refs on this one. They always suck, but offensivbe zone penalties shows laziness....
You're right. Except for the fact these weren't actual penalties. The refs called two on the Rangers in the third that were phantoms at best. I don't know what Girardi did to get called for boarding, and Dubinsky got called for standing there and having someone skate into his skate.

Also, I know everyone wants to blame Boyle, but that doesn't happen if the Rangers aren't shorthanded, and they shouldn't have been shorthanded at that time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Savvy Lee
I friggin hate tampa. I hate the Rays. I hate the Bucs and I hate the Lightning. The only consolation is that Tampa is colonized by zillions of New Yorkers. Like I said earlier, I'm really not that impressed.

Not impressed with Hedman at all. Not impressed with their coach and not impressed with a team who is carried by 2 guys.
Tampa will get beat by whoever they match up with in the first round, unless it's the Rangers, and that's because Tortorella can't figure out how to beat a "different" style. I said in the game thread that Tampa plays like a bunch of six-year olds bunching up around the puck. They're fast, so they can get away with it. When an opponent has to break it down, Tampa is going to get blown out of the playoffs. Plus, relying on a 41 year old goaltender playing every night is not all that smart.

NCRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 03:53 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Prospal tried one but it came off his stick before the wrap-around could be completed.

The ghost of Frolov must've wanted the trophy and knocked it off his stick.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote