HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Player of the Game & The Good, The Bad, The Redden: Game #64 vs. Tampa Bay Lightning

View Poll Results: Player of the Game: Game #64 vs. Tampa Bay Lightning
Brian Boyle 3 3.66%
Ryan Callahan 5 6.10%
Dan Girardi 0 0%
Steve Eminger 2 2.44%
Henrik Lundqvist 7 8.54%
Bryan McCabe 15 18.29%
Ryan McDonagh 13 15.85%
Brandon Prust 21 25.61%
Michael Sauer 9 10.98%
Derek Stepan 4 4.88%
Other 3 3.66%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-27-2011, 02:54 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
I'm not pleased about going winless versus a team that we have a very decent chance of pulling in the 2nd season.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Inferno
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
We had 3 PP in the first, and ended the period with 4 shots on goal. We had 23 shots for the game. That's not the fault or the referee.
totally agree.

im not putting this one on the refs at all.

im giving credit to the lightning, i thought they played a really good defensive game.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Riche16
Pessimistic-Realist

U can't win games scoring 1 goal and having that goal scorer be Brandon Prust. Refs or not.

Riche16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 02:55 PM
Bardof425*

How can anyone vote for Hank for POTG? Did he make even one big save in this game? Roloson was much better than him. Hank played ok. but POTG; too much blind love IMHO.

Bardof425* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 02:56 PM
Machinehead
RIP Robin Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardof425 View Post
How can anyone vote for Hank for POTG? Did he make even one big save in this game? Roloson was much better than him. Hank played ok. but POTG; too much blind love IMHO.
Well when you score one goal...

I honestly thought it was McD though. Kid is a ****ing beast. Future number 1 imo, which would give us two, and that's really good.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 02:56 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

i thought girardi was meh today again...but less meh than he was against the caps.

nobody really stood out as being awful though. just bad luck of hitting a post.

Old
02-27-2011, 02:57 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
Making 1 or 2 defensive plays a game isn't cutting it when McDonagh is 5 years younger and making 1 or 2 every shift.
Exactly. I said last week that the Gilroy experiment, while understandable, has failed.

Time to move forward. Staal comes back Tuesday.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 02:57 PM
Blue Line Monster

I hate Erik Christensen. His 1 good game a month thing is really wearing thin on me. He's like a teen girl with all his "confidence issues." I know he's not the biggest problem with the team but just can't stand seeing this guy on the team.

Blue Line Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 02:59 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
i thought girardi was meh today again...but less meh than he was against the caps.

nobody really stood out as being awful though. just bad luck of hitting a post.
Girardi is making bad decisions when he pinches lately. The pinches themselves are usually good but then he turns the puck over while trapped deep and leaves McDonagh hung out to dry

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 02:59 PM
Killem Dafoe
modus operandi

vCash: 50
refs sucked. McCabe was good. Dubinsky looks weird out there. Steps looks great but needs some people to score for him.

Killem Dafoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 03:00 PM
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard

Bright side: Staal comes back Tuesday.

Wraparounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 03:02 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Girardi is making bad decisions when he pinches lately. The pinches themselves are usually good but then he turns the puck over while trapped deep and leaves McDonagh hung out to dry
i think hes trying to do too much. hes used to looking to his left and seeing a guy who is "the man"...now that Staal is gone, he's trying to be "the man" and failing at it. he needs to keep playing his game. keep it simple, chip pucks out on the boards, keep pucks in at the blueline, block shots, etc.

THAT is what makes him a solid defenseman. hes not a number one...when he tries to play like it, he gets roasted. he needs to keep playing like he is, a very good 2nd pairing defemsen who you can get away playing as a first pairing guy thanks to Marc Staal.

Thats all.

Last edited by Inferno: 02-27-2011 at 03:07 PM.
Old
ThisYearsModel

went to my kids' Presidents Day tournament, where he played one of the host teams with a local ref and had 4 goals waved off in one game. Has the NHL done away with the trapezoid rule? How can that happen 4 times without a call? Slashes on hands now get no calls, but if you snap the guy's stick with a slash you are in the box. What is the league telling these refs? Stepan got boarded in Washington-no call. Girardi does less and he is in the box.

ThisYearsModel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Bardof425*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Savvy Lee View Post
Exactly. I said last week that the Gilroy experiment, while understandable, has failed.

Time to move forward. Staal comes back Tuesday.
Gilroy was better than Girardi in this one. Was Gilroy great? No, but he wasn't a liability and he made some good plays early in the game (before the march to the penalty box began) to create some offense. I think some of you are hard on him even when he doesn't deserve it. Some nights he does, but not today. And although Girardi's boarding penalty was a phantom call, that penalty was the difference since Boyle shot a puck that was on edge into the crowd.

Tampa plays a frustrating style but I thought we played well (after the first period) before and between the mistakes that the refs made in Tampa's favor. I don't like to blame the refs but six straight PPs (a few completely b-*****) is an attempt to have a say in the outcome of the game and that is unacceptable. These guys love to stick it to us in our building; not sure why but this is what I've seen following this team for 35 years.

Old
02-27-2011, 03:03 PM
Machinehead
RIP Robin Williams

Quote:
I can't blame Girardi on this though, it's not his game. We're missing Staal, who is way more comfortable going in deep than is Girardi, and he's done it often this year. Girardi is just having a hard time trying to make up for the loss of Staal, but it's not his fault Staal is hurt, so I can't kill him for that.

Old
02-27-2011, 03:03 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SML View Post
I think I've figured out how you have 900 posts in a month...
He may bash gilroy a lot, but he has been absolutely awful. I also have been a gilroy supporter a lot of the year. But it's time to cut our ties with this guy. He just doesn't have what it takes. At this point, I'd honestly rather give V-tank a shot in the lineup over Gilroy.

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 03:04 PM
Janerixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Line Monster View Post
I hate Erik Christensen. His 1 good game a month thing is really wearing thin on me. He's like a teen girl with all his "confidence issues." I know he's not the biggest problem with the team but just can't stand seeing this guy on the team.
He went 12-2 on faceoffs and had a good low shot that almost scored on our last PP chance. I love how much blame this guy gets, where was our top line tonight? What did dubi, artie and callahan do besides one nice block on the PK, dub was 14-3 in the faceoff circle, and dubi hit a post. I expect more from those guys, and Stepan looked good, zucc was passing to no one from behind the net all night and wolski was invisible. There are others who had way more to do with tonight's loss than EC.

Janerixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 03:05 PM
Levitate

Yup, he's trying to force things to happen when he needs to step back and not make plays that aren't there. Pinching is fine, but throwing the puck blindly at the net while you're trapped deep is just bad decision making

Old
02-27-2011, 03:06 PM
Bardof425*

Quote:
Well when you score one goal...

I honestly thought it was McD though. Kid is a ****ing beast. Future number 1 imo, which would give us two, and that's really good.
agreed, McD is a special player and he's going to get better with experience. He has every tool including the puck moving skill and the shot; which will emerge with more confidence. You are seeing the offensive skill that Sauer has only lately as he has become comfortable with the NHL game. McD will follow suit next year and beyond. He could be better than Staal in a couple years. Don't forget, he was picked 12th overall by the Canadiens who do not like to pick Americans in the first round. Not sure why people soured on him in his college years. I watched at least 10 Badger games in his jr. and sr. years and he was a rock.

Old
02-27-2011, 03:06 PM
Levitate

Quote:
I can't blame Girardi on this though, it's not his game. We're missing Staal, who is way more comfortable going in deep than is Girardi, and he's done it often this year. Girardi is just having a hard time trying to make up for the loss of Staal, but it's not his fault Staal is hurt, so I can't kill him for that.
Uh, if it's not his game he shouldn't be doing it. You absolutely can blame him for trying to do too much and creating massive problems in doing so

Old
02-27-2011, 03:07 PM
Machinehead
RIP Robin Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardof425 View Post
Gilroy was better than Girardi in this one. Was Gilroy great? No, but he wasn't a liability and he made some good plays early in the game (before the march to the penalty box began) to create some offense. I think some of you are hard on him even when he doesn't deserve it. Some nights he does, but not today. And although Girardi's boarding penalty was a phantom call, that penalty was the difference since Boyle shot a puck that was on edge into the crowd.

Tampa plays a frustrating style but I thought we played well (after the first period) before and between the mistakes that the refs made in Tampa's favor. I don't like to blame the refs but six straight PPs (a few completely b-*****) is an attempt to have a say in the outcome of the game and that is unacceptable. These guys love to stick it to us in our building; not sure why but this is what I've seen following this team for 35 years.
Three things...

1)Girardi eats 3 times the minutes.

2)Gilroy made about the same amount of mistakes in a third of the time.

3)A terrible game by Girardi's standards, a pretty good game by Gilroy's standards, and it's pretty much the same game. What does that tell you?

Old
02-27-2011, 03:07 PM
Bardof425*

Quote:
How many 2 on 1s and 3 on 1s did McD break up today by either blocking a shot or forcing the play into the corner? At least 3.

Old
02-27-2011, 03:08 PM
Machinehead
RIP Robin Williams

Quote:
Uh, if it's not his game he shouldn't be doing it. You absolutely can blame him for trying to do too much and creating massive problems in doing so
I'm not saying Torts shouldn't let him know, and make an adjustment, but I'm not going to be furious with a guy for trying a little extra.

Old
FultonReed
ew, you did what?

Quote:
Three things...

1)Girardi eats 3 times the minutes.

2)Gilroy made about the same amount of mistakes in a third of the time.

3)A terrible game by Girardi's standards, a pretty good game by Gilroy's standards, and it's pretty much the same game. What does that tell you?
that tells me that we better package Gilroy in a trade tonight or i'm storming the outside of MSG with torches and whatnot

FultonReed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
JeffMangum
Ra shi da

vCash: 300
This game was so similar to the Sunday Ottawa game in December it's frightening.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote