HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Bruins vs Canucks , Saturday Feb 26, 2011 at 7:00 PST - CBC(HD)

Old
02-27-2011, 12:24 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmon View Post
What myth?
The myth that Vancouver can't beat good defensive teams. Didn't you the 2 posts I quoted?

Drop the Sopel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 12:25 PM
Lz68

Quote:
Originally Posted by biturbo19 View Post
-lol at Tanner Glass, powerforward extraordinaire. down in the 3rd, make sure to saddle 2nd line with 4th line grinder for added offensive touch? i get it...sending Raymond a message, etc. but come on. i thought we were 'auditioning' a long-term 4th line solution?

-lol at Ballard hit in the head with puck whilst trying to somehow contain nearly 500lbs of Bruins beef in front of the net. probably could've used a bit of help on that one...

-lol at this 'Cody Hansen' fellow and his many jersey numbers.

-lol at Salo looking old and worn out. i think the description, 'leaking oil' used at one point was actually fairly apt.

-lol at Kesler still trying the same couple moves time and again, despite the fact that teams have taken notice of them and adjusted accordingly.

-lol at Raymond as scapegoat. sure he got badly outmuscled on that goal and failed to take the stick away or anything. and sure he's mired in a bit of a slump offensively, but he's been getting chances recently and he hasn't been nearly as bad as some make it sound. here's hoping AV's hunch pays off and Raymond comes back angry and determined after a bit of a blow to his ego playing on the 4th line.

other thoughts:

-4th line looked very good. and then...AV stopped using them. and then...split them up. lol. good 'audition' process. have to wonder what Gillis will have to say to AV about that whole process...

-Oreskovich in particular, showed that he has the qualities we're looking for in a 4th line winger. size, speed, and the ability to lay truly gamechanging hits...all while being a fairly competent hockey player. the guy doesn't seem to turn away from any hits. he was even laying (perhaps borderline late) hits on guys like Chara. that can make a difference in a playoff series if he can get away with it...

-it certainly has seemed recently, as though the Canucks have had a bit of trouble against very passive defensive teams like the Bruins. hopefully this is not a theme that continues on into the playoffs...or we certainly run the risk of getting ousted in much the same fashion as the Caps last year.

-Sedins seem to be a little bit bored with this season at the moment. at least i really HOPE that's the issue. just haven't looked nearly as dependable as they can be defensively, or nearly as determined and dominant as they can be offensively either.

-Bruins are a better team than their record may indicate. and they have a pretty good record. adding Kaberle, Peverley, Kelly is pretty huge for a team that already pretty decent. they're certainly a pretty intimidating team...even though Savard isn't around.

-From a Canucks perspective...did many people think Seguin on the Bruins 4th line was a hugely exploitable weakness tonight? no...? yet many seem to think Hodgson as our 4th line C is a terrible horrible no good idea?

-missing Edler + Bieksa sounds like a cop-out excuse after a loss like this, but honestly...they're probably our 2 best d-men at handling big brutes like Horton, Lucic, etc. around the net. that made a big difference tonight.

-it feels like when you get a game like tonight where the 4th line looked very hungry and dangerous...at this point in the year, you ride that wave as far as you can in terms of ice time. scale back the minutes, and the difficulty of minutes for our crucial top-6 forwards like Sedins, Kesler, Burrows. try to reduce the fatigue and injury risk for them there...and learn more about the rest of the team and their capabilities. especially when it seems as though the Sedins appear already halfway out the door to the playoffs mentally and effort-wise.

overall...Canucks showed a lot of positives tonight and really dominated the zone play in long spurts. but ultimately, some little mistakes and details killed them. we're still left losing the 2 points, top players more fatigued, and we're still left wondering whether that 4th line is really going to cut it...
I like how Cody Hansen was drafted in 2009 according to Lee as well...

Lz68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 12:29 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsAllPartOfThePlan View Post
I can't believe people are getting on AVs case for moving Glass up. Raymond sucks right now and Glass has already locked up the fourth spot. Juggling lines when we aren't scoring are things coaches do. Tough loss, but move on
Maybe your worst offensive forward isn't the best guy to move up the lineup when you're looking for offense? Cody Hodgson was the one on the 4th line creating offense and he doesn't get a single shift anywhere in the top 9 through 8 games? It's not hard to realize who has an NHL calibre shot and who doesn't. If you're going to shorten your bench to create more offense why wouldn't you use offensive players? Tanner Glass is a black hole offensively. He doesn't belong in your top 9, let alone top 6.

Drop the Sopel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 12:30 PM
ahmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
The myth that Vancouver can't beat good defensive teams. Didn't you the 2 posts I quoted?
I read the two post your quoted.

However, your own post about the canucks physically dominating the bruins was off.

The bruins had a much easier time in front of our net, then our forwards in front of thomas.

And again you like to take jabs at hitting, but its ironic you proposed us acquring tuomo ruutu a while back and part of your reasoning was his hitting ability.

ahmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 12:32 PM
unifiedtheory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny LaRue View Post
When you're losing to teams like Boston, you really have to be worried about how prepared you are.
Third best road record in the league.
The 2nd best goal differential.
The 2nd best team GAA.
The best 5 on 5 goals for/against differential.
A goaltender who is having a Vezina/Hart type season.

Yup, garbage team that should never win. The Canucks should have run them out of the building.

unifiedtheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 12:33 PM
Johnny LaRue

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowkey View Post
Lol what? Teams like Boston? What does that even mean, they are a solid club, there is no shame in losing to Boston. Preparation? They were very solid in the first and had the lead after 1.
Prepared for the playoffs good sir, not for the game. The Canucks are supposed to be playing for the conference and the president's trophy. They are supposed to be getting ready for the playoffs. Losing to lower-tier teams is not helping.

Johnny LaRue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 12:33 PM
ahmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
Maybe your worst offensive forward isn't the best guy to move up the lineup when you're looking for offense? Cody Hodgson was the one on the 4th line creating offense and he doesn't get a single shift anywhere in the top 9 through 8 games? It's not hard to realize who has an NHL calibre shot and who doesn't. If you're going to shorten your bench to create more offense why wouldn't you use offensive players? Tanner Glass is a black hole offensively. He doesn't belong in your top 9, let alone top 6.
That tells you how desparate our coaching staff was when he must use Glass to create room for Kesler/Samuelsson.

The 2nd line was almost invisible with raymond on it, it was mostly on the perimeter.

ahmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 12:35 PM
VanEric

I like how Kesler's offensive game clearly falling off a cliff because people have figured him out is all Mason Raymond's fault.

VanEric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 12:35 PM
unifiedtheory

Quote:
Prepared for the playoffs good sir, not for the game. The Canucks are supposed to be playing for the conference and the president's trophy. They are supposed to be getting ready for the playoffs. Losing to lower-tier teams is not helping.
Yup, 7th overall with games in hand on everyone accept Tampa. Lower tier indeed. Feel free to actually watch other teams occasionally.

unifiedtheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 12:55 PM
vadim sharifijanov

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanEric View Post
I like how Kesler's offensive game clearly falling off a cliff because people have figured him out is all Mason Raymond's fault.
with raymond back, kesler carries the puck far less. and how many possessions does raymond waste, vs. the number that he creates, skating into three guys and then losing possession?

not that i can't see kesler's hot streak as a hot streak, but i don't think raymond is blameless for kesler's recent lack of productivity.

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 01:04 PM
VanEric

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadim sharifijanov View Post
with raymond back, kesler carries the puck far less. and how many possessions does raymond waste, vs. the number that he creates, skating into three guys and then losing possession?

not that i can't see kesler's hot streak as a hot streak, but i don't think raymond is blameless for kesler's recent lack of productivity.
He was still scoring with Raymond there before. Teams have shut down Kesler's wrist shot. He needs to go back to driving the puck to the net instead of firing pucks into shin pads.

VanEric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 01:25 PM
pitseleh

Kesler has averaged 2.75 shots per game during his 1 goal in 8 game stretch. His season average is 3.1 shots per game, or an extra shot every three games. He was shooting 18.4% just a few weeks back. That was not a sustainable rate and he was going to fall back down to earth at some point.

Similarly Raymond has 2 goals on his last 106 shots, good for a 1.9% shooting percentage. Even Derek Boogaard has a career shooting percentage of 4%. The pucks will start going in for him eventually.

pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 01:31 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanEric View Post
Earlier in the year opposing teams were backing off respecting Kesler's speed so he was taking the time to pull the puck in tight to his body and then letting a snap shot go. It was very effective because goaltenders were having problems picking up the angle of the shot.

Now defenders are playing him tighter and not giving him the time and space to get the shot off. He needs to start using his speed again to go to the net and that should start backing the defenders off. he seems to have become too predictable and relying on his shot too much.

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 02:47 PM
NuxFan09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vajakki View Post
I'm far from panic mode or anything close to it, and I fully understand the Canucks are going through a bit of a tough strech here with few key players out going win-lose-win-lose and so on. That's going to happen sometimes, not a big deal.

That being said, after watching every Canucks game so far this season I've noted that a lot of times the Canucks have had a lot of trouble when playing against teams that have the qualities I bolded in the quote. Those are all also very evident in the playoffs no matter what team you play against.

I do think the Canucks are lacking some size and strength especially up front in the top 6. Note that I don't think we need to be more physical necessary, since we pretty much dominated the Bruins in that regard. But the Bruins played Sedins perfectly, frustrated them resulting them forcing the issue and not making smart plays, and there was very little going on elsewhere.

Raymond has been useless again and got benched (moved to fourth line) for right reasons. They need someone who makes room for Kesler and Samuelsson, not a small perimeter player who's been off for most of the season. That would help against teams that are very tight defensively by adding some variations and chance to play different style in the offensive zone.
Bingo! I noted some examples of teams that play a defensive style and even though some of those teams are a longshot to make the playoffs, like you said, almost every team in the playoffs plays like that.

Unless the Sedins' minds are somewhere else waiting for the playoffs like some have suggested, this team is going to struggle in score when it counts. Other teams know how to play the Canucks: just don't open it up too much and wait for your opportunities. That's exactly how the Bruins beat the Canucks yesterday and the Canucks didn't even play a bad game.

NuxFan09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 02:53 PM
pitseleh

The Canucks have a tougher time scoring against teams that play well defensively? I'm shocked.

pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 02:56 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitseleh View Post
The Canucks have a tougher time scoring against teams that play well defensively? I'm shocked.
And even more shocking when they have the consensus Vezina leading goaltender. Who wudda thunk it?

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 03:13 PM
topheavyhookjaw

A couple of notes from last night:

re: Raymond

Hopefully the demotion motivates him. His confidence is obviously very low right now and that is having a significant effect on his play. There was criticism a couple of times on here that he wasted possessions by shooting from the wing, my criticism would be that his shot from the wing is harmless because he is afraid of missing the net, playing like he's scared to screw up rather than trying to get anything done. Not playing with a good purpose. That line is more effective when he carries the puck with a purpose, Kesler and Sammy go to good areas to score either on rebounds or via passes and when Raymond carries the puck with a purpose to get to the net or get the puck to scoring areas that line is better. Kesler's limited playmaking ability is exposed when he is the primary puck carrier all the time (same for Samuelsson).

Re: Glass/4th Line/Hodgson

I liked the shuffle of Glass up the lineup in that situation, he did create space for that line, forechecked effectively in a way that Raymond/Samuelsson weren't from the wings. I think part of the reason they didn't shift Cody up was that he isn't quick enough to get in on the forecheck from the wing, and I'm not sure that any of Kesler/Samuelsson/Hodgson are a fit on the left side. We know Samuelsson isn't, and Kesler hasn't played LW at all IIRC. 4th line was excellent though, Oreskovich stood out in a good way, and Glass's game has been good lately.

Re: Defense

Our defense looks awfully small and friendly without Edler/Bieksa/Alberts. It was apparent against STL and stood out against Boston. Ballard/Hamhuis/Rome all play physically at times, but they are overmatched against Horton/Lucic types, especially when they are the physical presence in comparison to Tanev/Ehrhoff/Salo.

Tough night for Salo, he needs Bieksa back badly to cut his minutes down a bit and limit his role until he is really back to NHL conditioning. This has been a lot of games and a lot of minutes to come back to from that injury. Love the thought of him playing #6 minutes with PK in the playoffs though.

Re: Miscellaneous

Third line stood out again, have to love them when they play like this, hope it carries through to the playoffs.

The twins are struggling a bit right now, look tired. If I was AV I'd be giving the 3rd and 4th lines more minutes over the next couple of games to get them some rest. Would give an extended look at the 4th line too. Probably should have happened against MTL and STL though to be honest

Kesler looks tired as well.

Hodgson is a smart player, he will be very good, great patience with the puck in traffic, which is an invaluable skill that players like Malhotra and Raymond don't have that would have made either of them excellent players.

Luongo looks sharp, but not getting the support, record recently looks worse than it should.

I still have questions about size/strength in the top 6. No one gets to the net particularly well, Kesler does on the PP, but that's not his role at ES. My goodness would a Lucic/Horton/Backes/Stewart/Clowe/Malone/Hartnell/Doan type of player put them over the top. Its not that this team isn't well put together but it looks like that would be the piece that puts them above the rest of the contenders IMO.

topheavyhookjaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 03:18 PM
just22
meat and taters

Quote:
boston is a lower tier team? have you checked the standings lately?

just22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 03:21 PM
Just A Bit Outside
Playoffs??!

vCash: 50
The problem I have with the Canucks when they play a primarily defensive team is that they play right into their style of play instead of adjusting.

It looks like they have no clue as to what to do.

The Sedins look completely disinterested right now. I don't know what it is but I hope they don't think they'll just coast to the playoffs and try and turn it on then. Won't work.

Raymond looks like garbage. It looked like an elementary school kid trying to block out an adult on the Horton goal. I don't care if he scored 25 goals last year and he "might" turn it around. If we can upgrade our top 6 we have to cause it will just get worse in the playoffs.

Right now this team is either disinterested or reading their press clippings. Havent seen a solid 60 minute effort since January.

at this rate, if we play an Anaheim or San Jose, I wouldn't have any faith in our team winning a 7 game series unless they wake up.

Just A Bit Outside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 03:22 PM
EpochLink
Canucks and Jets fan

Quote:
Boston is not lower-tier.

So how long are we going to ride this win/lose/win/lose formula?!

EpochLink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 03:30 PM
Canucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reds81 View Post
The problem I have with the Canucks when they play a primarily defensive team is that they play right into their style of play instead of adjusting.

It looks like they have no clue as to what to do.

The Sedins look completely disinterested right now. I don't know what it is but I hope they don't think they'll just coast to the playoffs and try and turn it on then. Won't work.

Raymond looks like garbage. It looked like an elementary school kid trying to block out an adult on the Horton goal. I don't care if he scored 25 goals last year and he "might" turn it around. If we can upgrade our top 6 we have to cause it will just get worse in the playoffs.

Right now this team is either disinterested or reading their press clippings. Havent seen a solid 60 minute effort since January.

at this rate, if we play an Anaheim or San Jose, I wouldn't have any faith in our team winning a 7 game series unless they wake up.
Raymond...6' 185lbs soaking wet vs. Horton 6'2 230lbs. Are you really going to blame Raymond for losing that battle? It was just a bad matchup, usually one of our defensemen or Kesler should be matched up down low with the opposing forward. Raymond has been struggling but its not for lack of effort.

Canucker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 03:32 PM
Canucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by just22 View Post
boston is a lower tier team? have you checked the standings lately?
But we have lost to St.Louis, Nashville and Anaheim recently and they would have to be considered "lower tier" teams than us.

Canucker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 03:33 PM
Dr. Nucksfan

Quote:
I have two comments for you.

i) Statistically every team is "lower tier" compared to us: we're leading the league! Are you saying, therefore, that we should never lose because (logically, mathematically) we're always going to lose to a lower team?

ii) There's no shame in losing to the Bruins, given their players, record, coaching, goaltending, style, etc.

[Edit: no shame in losing a very close game to the Bruins]

Sheesh. Your post deserves, um, let's see ... a Billy Madison quote.

Dr. Nucksfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 03:36 PM
Dr. Nucksfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucker View Post
Raymond...6' 185lbs soaking wet vs. Horton 6'2 230lbs. Are you really going to blame Raymond for losing that battle? ...
What?! Raymond was soaking wet? From what, sweat? All the spittle directed his way from fans irate about his slump? Do you realize how hard it is to break out of a slump when you and your jersey, etc., are soaking wet? Ah, I hear you. I'm just fooling with you a bit

Dr. Nucksfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 03:39 PM
opendoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucker View Post
But we have lost to St.Louis, Nashville and Anaheim recently and they would have to be considered "lower tier" teams than us.
Did you see the defensive lineup they were icing in some of those losses? A healthy Philadelphia team just lost to the bloody Senators. Are they not "ready for the playoffs"?

It's funny, there's some people calling St. Louis, Nashville, and Anaheim lower tier teams that the Canucks should walk over while others are calling them defensive masterminds and "playoff style" teams who the Canucks have no chance against. Which is it?

opendoor is online now   Reply With Quote