HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Seabrook signing and Erhoff

Old
02-27-2011, 04:31 PM
lennie

vCash: 500
Seabrook signing and Erhoff

Does the Seabrook signing set the market for Ehrhoff?

Your thoughts.

lennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 04:38 PM
eklunds source
HFBoards Sponsor

Implying Ehrhoff and Seabrook have remotely similar skill sets? Also RFA vs UFA.. not similar at all.

eklunds source is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 04:41 PM
The Big Foot

Quote:
Originally Posted by lennie View Post

Your thoughts.
I don't think so. I think the Hamhuis signing will be a bigger factor - he'll be looking to make no less than Hamhuis IMO. His value to the PP is massive. I get the feeling he has an inflated sense of his ability, as evidenced by his running around and general rottenness when not with a more steady player.

I think the team would be happy to pay his 4.5 to 5 mil but shouldn't go above that. Our salary structure is pretty well established and he should not make more than Kesler.

I'd like to see a 3 yr deal at 4.5 for Ehrhoff. And a longer cheaper deal for Bieksa if he gets an offer.

The Big Foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 04:42 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by lennie View Post

Your thoughts.
I think not.

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 04:42 PM
R0bert0 Lu0ng0

I don't see Ehrhoff as a similar calibre player to Seabrook. He's good, and he is more effective on the powerplay than Seabrook, but in nearly every other respect is not the player Brent Seabrook is.

R0bert0 Lu0ng0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 04:44 PM
NuxFan09

This is the first thing I thought about when I read the news about the Seabrook signing. Although unlikely and unrealistic, I hope Ehrhoff and his agent try to ingore other signings, look at the present situation in Vancouver, and come up with an agreement that works for both sides.

Either way, I see Ehrhoff being re-signed. In lot's of ways, I see Ehrhoff as our Brian Campbell. Campbell has an albatross contract, yes, but the reason the Hawks didn't even TRY to trade him or send him down to the minors is because his skillset is integral to the Hawks' system and style. In a nutshell, the Hawks aren't JUST paying for his numbers, which are relatively low for a $7.14 million cap hit, but also simply for the impact his skillset has, game in and game out. Ehrhoff has the same degree of importance to the Canucks. His puck carrying abilities are a huge reason why they're #1 on the PP and have the best offense in the league. His ability to carry the puck out of the zone is also a form of defence and undoubtedly contributes to the Canucks' defensive play.

In a nutshell, he's a core piece of the team that is key to their transition and thus key to the Canucks' success in general. He has to be a priority.

NuxFan09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 04:51 PM
Hammer79

Ehrhoff is somewhat weak defensively, which I think will offset what he would get based on his offensive game. If he wants more than $4.5M, it would probably be better to let him walk.

Last edited by Hammer79: 02-27-2011 at 05:59 PM.
Hammer79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 04:59 PM
jammyrft

I don't think this will effect Ehrhoff's next contract as much as it will Weber's. Can you imagine what he's going to be asking for now!

jammyrft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 05:26 PM
lennie

Quote:
Originally Posted by eklunds source View Post
Implying Ehrhoff and Seabrook have remotely similar skill sets? Also RFA vs UFA.. not similar at all.
Not implying anything. Just asking for opinions

lennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 05:36 PM
deckercky

With the injuries this year and last year, none of the top defencemen have been exposed as much as Ehrhoff. When put on a pairing without another top 4 defenceman, Ehrhoff hasn't looked good. I think that's the thing that'll hurt his value as much as anything.

I also think Chicago overpaid for Seabrook, who should have been around 5M.

deckercky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 05:36 PM
FiveAndGame

Hopefully a slightly frontloaded 4 year deal. Maybe 5-5-4.5-4 with an average cap hit of $4.625

FiveAndGame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 06:08 PM
kanuck87

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveAndGame View Post

Hopefully a slightly frontloaded 4 year deal. Maybe 5-5-4.5-4 with an average cap hit of $4.625
Frontloading a deal doesn't make the offer that much more enticiing, not in this case.

kanuck87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 06:10 PM
slappipappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Foot View Post
I'd like to see a 3 yr deal at 4.5 for Ehrhoff.
So would I.

But if he reaches UFA, with the general lack of defenceman available, he'll get at least 5 years.

slappipappi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 06:11 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Ehrhoff is not as good defensively as Seabrook.

Seabrook got his contract for defensive play. Ehrhoff is more in the $4.75-$5.25 mil range IMO.

LickTheEnvelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 06:22 PM
FiveAndGame

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanuck87 View Post
Frontloading a deal doesn't make the offer that much more enticiing, not in this case.
Then maybe just a signing bonus.

FiveAndGame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 06:31 PM
Nuckles
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Sidebar

vCash: 50
Besides what has been said already, Seabrook didn't take a discount.
Gillis will try his best to get Ehrhoff to accept a discount on his contract.

Nuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 06:33 PM
NugentHopkinsfan

Ehrhoff can really cash in if he wants to. So many teams will overpay for a mobile puck mover who scores and is great on the PP. Lots of teams need a player like him, we did before we got him. If he reaches UFA I can see him getting 6/7 years at over 5mil per. Maybe even 5/30 from a desperate team.

But I think he stays for a bit less since it's such a good situation, he's on the ice with the Sedins all the time and is part of an amazing PP. Why leave if the money is close enough?

NugentHopkinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 06:49 PM
Meganuck*

nothing more than 4.5 That pay offsets his shortcomings in the defensive end.

Meganuck* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 07:01 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

I'll be upset if we lose him in the off season but I also don't want to overpay him when he's not a stud defensively. More importantly the thought of a first/1st round prospect going to waste (ie Kaberle). If and buts and what might be's only matter if we don't win the cup.

me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 07:24 PM
kmad
Riot Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddy View Post
I don't see Ehrhoff as a similar calibre player to Seabrook. He's good, and he is more effective on the powerplay than Seabrook, but in nearly every other respect is not the player Brent Seabrook is.
Ehrhoff is a world class puck mover. There aren't many players like him in the league, and they're pretty valuable. I'd say his market value is around $4.5 to $5 mil and I think he'd be worth re-signing at that price. I really hope we get it done, because if he doesn't sign here, I would almost guarantee Detroit would get him, and suddenly we're not the best team in the conference.

kmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 11:29 PM
JuniorNelson

I think the Seabrook signing might affect Ehrhoff's position, but not Gillis'.

Since he isn't signed, despite earlier attempts by Gillis, I have to assume he's FA bound. My thinking is, Gillis is a strong guy at this position. He resigned a lot of guys already and I don't remember any that got away.

I seriously wonder if this isn't the guy that gets moved? Salo is back, augmenting an already able defence. Just speculating, but if he isn't expected back and you need to get a piece through trade, you have to offer something.

JuniorNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 11:47 PM
Dado

vCash:
I agree with those that see Erhoff as the kind of player likely to draw overpayment on the open market. At this point it may be best to see what happens in the playoffs before making another offer.

Old
02-27-2011, 11:55 PM
Jaquel

I think the Canucks would be best off to walk away after 4.75 and no more than 4 years. They would be screwing themselves over at a point somewhere bigger than that, given that Edler is miles better than Ehrhoff in just about every way and would likely demand a comparable increase in salary and term. I mean, if Ehrhoff gets 5 million, Edler's agent is already looking at around 6 for the long term.

Jaquel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 11:59 PM
monster_bertuzzi

Seabrook is twice the presence in his own end than Ehrhoff is, Gillis will be able to put this one together. If we lose Ehrhoff in the off season because a team goes crazy and gives him $5 million over a long term so be it, we would still have a solid defence with room to add a 2nd liner.

monster_bertuzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 12:10 AM
eklunds source
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniorNelson View Post
Since he isn't signed, despite earlier attempts by Gillis, I have to assume he's FA bound. My thinking is, Gillis is a strong guy at this position. He resigned a lot of guys already and I don't remember any that got away.
He re-signed the Sedins at the 11th hour, June 30th.. The fact Ehrhoff isn't signed yet doesn't mean anything.

eklunds source is offline   Reply With Quote