HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

All Things Artem Anisimov

Old
02-27-2011, 07:24 PM
Whoot Whoot
Biased-NYR-Homer

vCash: 500
All Things Artem Anisimov

He needs to be benched a few games. He has lost his confidence and his composure. Consistently with his head down with the puck, extremely weak in the corner, not finding open ice, not using his size. Really playing like a coward. He doesn't have the drive the other youngsters are showing at this point in the season.

Whoot Whoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 07:28 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
We're not benching our 6th leading scorer in the playoff run. Especially not when we have 3 forwards out due to injury as it is.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 07:29 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Especially one who has been fantastic defensively.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 07:33 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

I love Artie but he can definitely be frustrating to watch sometimes. All he needs to do is shoot instead of getting fancy on some plays and use his body some more. He'll be fine in the long run but I definitely get why you're frustrated with him.

NYRFAN218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 07:34 PM
CH2

Considering he's only been frustrating to watch when he's got the puck in a shooting area, I'd say absolutely not. Anisimov has been forechecking very well and he's more agile in the corner than earlier in the year. He's not pulling the trigger like he should, but I think he's trying to do too much. Look at his line, Dubi and Cally like to work the faceoff dots and in, Anisimov is the forward at the top and he's not seeing the space he used to have.

CH2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
OverTheCap

Anisimov has been frustrating but is definitely not worthy of a benching.

He's only a second-year player so it's not surprising that he is struggling a bit. He's overthinking things right now and needs to simplify his game. No more spin-o-ramas or trying to deke around defenders right now, he just needs to drive to the net and take shots when he has the opportunity.

Can't say I'm surprised with all the Anisimov criticism, but he's improved upon his rookie season and is progressing. I don't think he's expendable yet.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Whoot Whoot
Biased-NYR-Homer

He's been nothing of late. Watch todays game and see if you notice one positive thing he does. He's a giveaway machine, hes not charging the net, he's not making plays. He's just floating about. He needs one or two games to get his mind back in the game.

Old
02-27-2011, 07:36 PM
HAPPY HOUR

Sssssh...... Joe Nieuwendyk is here.... watching.... reading.....

The kid is struggling. He gets quality minutes.

Torts trusts him.

For me, he goes in a package for a signed/extended BR or a package for Stastny.

HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 07:37 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

I wish I was surprised by the criticism. Dubinsky got the same thing his second year, and his numbers actually went down instead of up. Callahan after being sent to Hartford his first full year? And how about with people suggesting we trade Del Zotto right now?

Its ridiculous. If the kid isn't a complete package by the time hes 21 years old he is an "expendable" piece. Give me a break.

Old
02-27-2011, 07:38 PM
Whoot Whoot
Biased-NYR-Homer

The other thing is he is definitely one of the more naturally skilled talents on the team, maybe with the most accurate shot behind Gabby and Eric C. When I look at what Boyle and prust have given the team this year with far less talent I just feel like Arty is lagging way behind.

Old
02-27-2011, 07:39 PM
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup

I don't find him expendable but do find him frustrating.

The most frustrating part of his game is that he never hits the damn net it seems. Every shot is a toe-drag attempt that goes high and wide.

But that's the whole team.

Jaromir Jagr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 07:40 PM
Whoot Whoot
Biased-NYR-Homer

So "bench him for one game or two" is read as "trade him". Wheres your common sense?
This is Tort's team , he even benched Henrik for two games a few weeks ago. A one or two game press box view would help us long term. We need arty to play like he has in the past, especially with all these injuries.

Old
02-27-2011, 07:46 PM
Whoot Whoot
Biased-NYR-Homer

Avery could probably use a game also at some point. Or the leash needs to come off. We've seen how affective and unique a player he is come the end of the season. It wasn't too long ago we agreed that he was the MVP of our short playoff run.

PS the overwhelming sense of narcissism penned in certain members answers is pretty pathetic for a common interest discussion board. Can't we keep it civil instead of acting like know-it-alls?

Old
02-27-2011, 07:48 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

He didn't bench Henrik, the situations are incomparable because The Starter-backup goaltender situation was intended to be one in which Biron got a large number of starts this year.

We have Newbury, an AHLer as a pivot right now. Our 3rd line is made of seemingly randomly assorted parts.

Anisimov has and is one of the top offensive players on this team, and we are a team that does not get goals easily.

Benching Anisimov is not the right move. For him or for the team. You're going to tell a 22 year old who is in no way a liability to the team, but is a starting PK guy, that his improvement has not been good enough to play? Absurd. The reason he doesn't look quick on the Callahan line is because it is his job to be the 3rd man high 99% of the time. It is not his job to go into the corners and hit, and grind. Its his job to get to the net and protect against the counterattack.

Here is a fun stat for the "turnover machine"

He has 7 giveaways all season. For comparison

Prust has 24
Gaborik has 18
Stepan has 16

Anisimov has the 3rd lowest giveways of our starting forwards, the other 2 have missed time (Callahan, Fedotenko)

Anisimov is also first on our team forwards in takeaways with 34

34 takeaways, 7 giveaways. 13 goals and 31 points in 64 games as a 22 year old. This is a player we should be benching.

Old
02-27-2011, 07:53 PM
Whoot Whoot
Biased-NYR-Homer

he's a giveaway machine in the sense that he never seems to ever get to a loose puck. He's incredibly tentative in the corners and oblivious during the breakout. I mean seriously how many times has he escaped a huge open ice hit with his lack of awareness. I am not saying he always has been like this - earlier int he season he played much better. He just needs a quick ctrl-alt-delete.

He needs to think it over and find out that he is bigger then 90 percent of the people out there and use it to his advantage. At least with Torts it's easy to see who is playing in the system and who isn't.

Old
02-27-2011, 08:02 PM
JeffMangum
A Love Supreme

vCash: 300
You people boggle my mind. The impatience is absolutely incomprehensible. You wonder why we had old, slow, overpaid teams in the dark ages.

Yeah, Anisimov has struggled, but so has a lot of the team lately. He's still better defensively than anyone else in the forward lineup, and he still is only one of about 3 players who has an above average talent level on this team, and you want to bench him? In favor of who? Newbury, Weise? More non-talent? No thanks.

Also, people forget the kid is 22, has slumped big time, and is still 6th on the team in points. He has problems with his stamina and footspeed, but he's still a big threat to score when he's open in the slot, which is a lot more than you can say for a lot of other players on this team.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 08:18 PM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
The fact that Anisimov is willing to be responsible defensively and not just focus on offense should be seen as a positive. The offensive game should improve in time. The Rangers don't expect him to reach his full potential in less than two full seasons.

NYR94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 08:30 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
He didn't bench Henrik, the situations are incomparable because The Starter-backup goaltender situation was intended to be one in which Biron got a large number of starts this year.

We have Newbury, an AHLer as a pivot right now. Our 3rd line is made of seemingly randomly assorted parts.

Anisimov has and is one of the top offensive players on this team, and we are a team that does not get goals easily.

Benching Anisimov is not the right move. For him or for the team. You're going to tell a 22 year old who is in no way a liability to the team, but is a starting PK guy, that his improvement has not been good enough to play? Absurd. The reason he doesn't look quick on the Callahan line is because it is his job to be the 3rd man high 99% of the time. It is not his job to go into the corners and hit, and grind. Its his job to get to the net and protect against the counterattack.

Here is a fun stat for the "turnover machine"

He has 7 giveaways all season. For comparison

Prust has 24
Gaborik has 18
Stepan has 16

Anisimov has the 3rd lowest giveways of our starting forwards, the other 2 have missed time (Callahan, Fedotenko)

Anisimov is also first on our team forwards in takeaways with 34

34 takeaways, 7 giveaways. 13 goals and 31 points in 64 games as a 22 year old. This is a player we should be benching.
Rational, well thought out, backed up by facts--what's wrong with this picture?

Very well said. I have to say, Torts has handled him perfectly from the beginning. I see no need to change anything and look forward to continuing to have the chance to watch Anisimov develop.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 08:33 PM
gravytrain6t

Anisimov has a hell of a wrist shot but when you're playing these top 3 or 4 teams in the conference, they know how to defend and take away time and space. But if he keeps up the hard work, things will fall into place. He's only 22 years of age. His stats are already better than last season's but he has to find a way to be more consistent just like Tortorella said Dubinsky needed to be. As a matter of fact, so does everyone (imo).

Dubinsky is finally improving in that area, as is Callahan. But both players have been in the league longer and grew up playing a N.American brand of hockey and speak the (english) language well. I mentioned it before, I think it's a much harder transition from Eastern European Junior and Pro leagues to the NHL. In "Arty's" case though, I feel strongly that the wait will pay off in the end. Just keep playing him. Why?
Because the effort is there on Anisimov's part, no question. He's not slacking in the least. You'll never see him coast on the back check or give up on plays all over the ice (far from enigmatic).

Maybe he needs to fill out more and get stronger so he can take the body harder, and better protect the puck with his long reach. But I'm anxious to see how well this kid will be playing in 2 -3 years.

I still think he has a long future a head of him with the Rangers if, they do not give up on him. Could be as a 2nd or 3rd line Center, or possibly a winger.

The only guys I lose patience with are the ones who aren't putting in the effort day in and day out or, are getting enormous contracts but can't stay healthy.

He still has a big upside on both sides of the puck and the Rangers will be making a bad mistake parting ways with Anisimov.

gravytrain6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 08:34 PM
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoot Whoot View Post
He needs to be benched a few games. He has lost his confidence and his composure. Consistently with his head down with the puck, extremely weak in the corner, not finding open ice, not using his size. Really playing like a coward. He doesn't have the drive the other youngsters are showing at this point in the season.
I was with the general idea of this thread, at least offensively. But to say he's lost his confidence so he should get benched doesn't make any sense. It reminds me of a part in this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sdhJf4hBoQ (adult language warning), "So what I did, to help him (Kessel) out is I put him on the third line. Because I thought that would help, help his ego. I don't know if that's right or not..." "I think all coaches should put their best player on the third line. What the hell is wrong with that?"

So obviously Anisimov isn't Kessel and their circumstances aren't similar, but the point is when a key player loses his confidence, the answer isn't to put him in less positions to succeed.

Kel Varnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 08:55 PM
Whoot Whoot
Biased-NYR-Homer

So being the 6th leading scorer on a team faced with this amount of injuries and offensively challenged players is something to boast at? Hardly.

Nor can you claim 22 as being a clutch, the whole team is around this age. We see others performing.

So Del Zotto, Gilroy, Eminger, Drury, Christensen, and a hand ful of other guys have been healthy scratches and you claim Anisimov deserves no such fate? Doesn't seem to make much sense.

THe whole system with this team is getting garbage goals off deflections and rebounds after battles in the corner. And anisimov has lost his battle edge. One game to think it over and to light a fire under his butt once again would be healthy for all.

Old
02-27-2011, 09:22 PM
Whoot Whoot
Biased-NYR-Homer

Also Anisimov with 54 hits in 63 games. That is way way below average for the forwards who have played 63 games.

I am not saying he is a bad player, he just needs to find a way to step it up and play more as a team member. He also has to hit the net more. These are mental problems, we all know he has potential.

Old
02-27-2011, 09:27 PM
greasch#4

I think you are fundamentally misunderstanding Anisimov's role in the system. If he is 3rd man high then he doesn't get to go into the forecheck as much. He needs to float back to protect against odd-man rush counter attacks.

greasch#4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 09:33 PM
SwedishBullet62
Never go full torts.

i dont want to slap the LAZY RUSSIAN tag on him quite yet, but hes making a case for himself. i was at the game today and honestly he didnt look like he wanted to be there. he skated on the ice nonchalantly looked like he was deliberately avoiding the puck, and in now way, shape, or form tryed to get to open ice EVER. i wouldnt have known he was even in the lineup through the first 15 minutes had i not been sitting behind the bench. he flat out didnt look like he wanted to be there today or at least thats how it take it

SwedishBullet62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 09:37 PM
SwedishBullet62
Never go full torts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greasch#4 View Post
I think you are fundamentally misunderstanding Anisimov's role in the system. If he is 3rd man high then he doesn't get to go into the forecheck as much. He needs to float back to protect against odd-man rush counter attacks.
its understandable that hes a solid defensive forward, but hes not a defenseman. he needs to play some sort of offense. the guys floating back are the defensemen with anisimov if the high man following closely behind but anisimov shouldnt be avoiding going below the hashmarks to protect against odd man rushes which is what he seams to be doing.

SwedishBullet62 is offline   Reply With Quote