HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All Things Artem Anisimov

Old
02-27-2011, 09:43 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
Yes this is a travesty. You're talking about a player who has worked his way up through the AHL, toiled happily on the 4th line, and has brought chemistry and success to just about any major line he has been on.

Shelley-AA-Prust? Our best line late last year, even with a Goon on it.

Dubi-AA-Cally? His defensive smarts and shot fit perfectly with our hard hitting fast skating guys.

I can't believe some of the stuff I am reading here.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 09:47 PM
Whoot Whoot
Biased-NYR-Homer

vCash: 500
The whole team needs to hit, and we always use a rotating 3 forecheck. I saw him so often down in the boards this last game just not competing at 100%. He got lucky once or twice not to take a penalty after taking his hands of the stick.

I think the lazy Russian description is part of the description at this point.

Whoot Whoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 09:55 PM
McRanger

He has been hard to watch at times, at least offensively. It will come in time.

He needs to work on his balance in the offseason. For a big man he gets knocked off the puck a lot and at times very easily. And Torts needs to get his feet moving more. Getting some open space would do wonders for his game. When he starts getting that shot of his off he is going to do some damage.

McRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 10:03 PM
greasch#4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerdanger20 View Post
its understandable that hes a solid defensive forward, but hes not a defenseman. he needs to play some sort of offense. the guys floating back are the defensemen with anisimov if the high man following closely behind but anisimov shouldnt be avoiding going below the hashmarks to protect against odd man rushes which is what he seams to be doing.
I was responding to the post above me about the low number of checks he has recorded. Guys like Cally and Dubi get to chase the puck and punish defensemen while Anisimov needs to play a bit back. I am not advocating that he not be involved, I am merely commenting on his role in the system. We can't have all 3 forwards down below the goal line too often especially with our young and depleted defense. Being defensively sound is a plus and that he is trusted to pick his spots at such a young age is a bonus. I think he will be more aggressive as he gains more experience and size.

greasch#4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 10:09 PM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

I'm not sure what people were expecting from Artie. He's on pace for about 40 points, which would be around a 15 point improvement from last season. I think thats pretty solid, and he has definitely made progress.

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 10:12 PM
Whoot Whoot
Biased-NYR-Homer

He's a little reminiscent of Prucha in some regards. Maybe he is just out of stamina for the year, for such a big frame he could put on another 10-15 lbs. Its just worrisome all the open ice hits he subjects himself to.

Old
02-27-2011, 10:43 PM
BwayBshirt

It's a young team, young guys are going to struggle. And this team is still doing, on the whole of the season, better that the vast majority of us would have thought in lieu of this.

One would think ppl would understand that by now...*sigh*

BwayBshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 10:52 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoot Whoot View Post
The whole team needs to hit, and we always use a rotating 3 forecheck. I saw him so often down in the boards this last game just not competing at 100%. He got lucky once or twice not to take a penalty after taking his hands of the stick.
No, they really don't. Notice how many of the league's best players rarely hit.

Quote:
I think the lazy Russian description is part of the description at this point.
Ridiculous. The best all-around forward in the league, except for arguably Crosby, is a Russian. Doesn't do very much hitting.

Anisimov is developing into a fine defensive forward with some inconsistent offensive flair in the mix. As usual, the hype machine did its duty with Artie and has since wrung him out. He's a great third line center with 40-50 point potential. On a really great offensive team, he can get 60 points.

This is a below average offensive team. You just want more than the player can realistically be expected to deliver.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 10:57 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
No, they really don't. Notice how many of the league's best players rarely hit.

Ridiculous. The best all-around forward in the league, except for arguably Crosby, is a Russian. Doesn't do very much hitting.

Anisimov is developing into a fine defensive forward with some inconsistent offensive flair in the mix. As usual, the hype machine did its duty with Artie and has since wrung him out. He's a great third line center with 40-50 point potential. On a really great offensive team, he can get 60 points.

This is a below average offensive team. You just want more than the player can realistically be expected to deliver.
Don't see how the hype machine wrung him out, since the only thing I see keeping him back is his foot speed.

a 40 point sophomore campaign would be great.

Other than that I agree completely.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 10:58 PM
JeffMangum
not sure if HF or FB

vCash: 300
I think AA has a much higher ceiling than 40-50 points. And considering he's on pace for 40 points as as a 22 year old sophomore, we can expect more from him.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 11:04 PM
Whoot Whoot
Biased-NYR-Homer

Truly, exaggeration runs rampant on this board.

I don't think one of you would claim that Anisimov has been playing his best hockey the last 2-3 weeks. If Del Zotto, a player who exhibits much greater talent then Artie, is subjected to the coaches wrath then Artie should be no different. He just needs to pause and recollect himself and get back to the way he was playing earlier in the season. His disappearing act lately is disturbing in a system where all we really have going for us is our forecheck and physicality. Sure most top 10 scorers in the league don't need to hit but most 3-4 liners need to and all people need to hit and block on this team. Thats the only way we can possibly win with subpar talent and a roster of recently graduated teens. One even sees Gabby on occasion lowering the odd shoulder.

I am making no comparison of Artie to anyone except his condition earlier in the season. He is playing worse then he is capable. After watching the rangers for 20 years I can make a fair judgement on who is playing up to their own specific calibre, its sad to say that right now Artie isn't. Growing pains, etc... of course - yet he is sticking out as not playing the Torts way, which only truly requires commitment and energy. He really seems to be lost on the ice in a fashion that non of the other "starters" are exhibiting at this point.

If he had the composure to capture that loose puck behind the net instead of skating over it we might have tied the game.

Old
02-27-2011, 11:52 PM
darko

He's young. He's in his 2nd season. Have patience people.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 11:55 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
I don't think one of you would claim that Anisimov has been playing his best hockey the last 2-3 weeks. If Del Zotto, a player who exhibits much greater talent then Artie, is subjected to the coaches wrath then Artie should be no different. He just needs to pause and recollect himself and get back to the way he was playing earlier in the season. His disappearing act lately is disturbing in a system where all we really have going for us is our forecheck and physicality. Sure most top 10 scorers in the league don't need to hit but most 3-4 liners need to and all people need to hit and block on this team. Thats the only way we can possibly win with subpar talent and a roster of recently graduated teens. One even sees Gabby on occasion lowering the odd shoulder.
Forecheck and physicality are important, but just as important to the system is defensive responsibility. Guys need to come back and help out the D, and we don't have many guys better at that than AA. Del Zotto was benched because his lousy defense was costing us scoring chance after scoring chance. AA decreases the likelihood that the other team will score when his line is on the ice, and his offensive skills make him useful on top of that.

Now you're right, he isn't one of the most physically aggressive guys on our team. But not everyone can be Callahan/Prust. AA's slower speed and acceleration prevent him from getting in on the forecheck like those guys can. It would be foolhardy for him to run around like those players because he's not as fast and he's a centerman with greater defensive responsibilities. If he were to come barreling in on the forecheck on every play he would probably wind up getting caught down low. Anisimov's skills are most useful in open ice. If he plays with players who can make space for him (a la Dubi and Cally can when they get a good cycle going), his effectiveness increases greatly. He hasn't been getting that kind of room, so it makes sense that he hasn't produced offensively as much as he was earlier in the year.

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 11:59 PM
mrjimmyg89
'13-'14 East Champs

Absurd thread. Artie has shown he is the BEST 2 way forward we have. He might not be as physical as other players on the team are, but he is in position 99% of the time. He knows how to play this game, his position, and at this level, cause we have seen it. So he hasn't put a point up in 4 games, big deal. The guy is playing sound defense and showing that he can be trusted in all situations on the ice.

Once he improves on his faceoffs, he'll be the center on the ice when we are up late in games to win that defensive zone faceoff. He's on a .45 point/gm pace which is better then last year.

Let's not even talk about the guys potential either. He has good vision, a hard wrister, and is growing into what will become a body that can do work in front of the net. Not everyone is Crosby, Ovechkin, or Stamkos in their 2nd year. Give Arty time, and it's obvious Torts likes the guy as a player to continually trust him.

mrjimmyg89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 12:11 AM
Whoot Whoot
Biased-NYR-Homer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjimmyg89 View Post
Absurd thread. Artie has shown he is the BEST 2 way forward we have. He might not be as physical as other players on the team are, but he is in position 99% of the time. He knows how to play this game, his position, and at this level, cause we have seen it. So he hasn't put a point up in 4 games, big deal. The guy is playing sound defense and showing that he can be trusted in all situations on the ice.

Once he improves on his faceoffs, he'll be the center on the ice when we are up late in games to win that defensive zone faceoff. He's on a .45 point/gm pace which is better then last year.

Let's not even talk about the guys potential either. He has good vision, a hard wrister, and is growing into what will become a body that can do work in front of the net. Not everyone is Crosby, Ovechkin, or Stamkos in their 2nd year. Give Arty time, and it's obvious Torts likes the guy as a player to continually trust him.
Wow, that is some absurd statement. He is easily trumped by Callahan and Boyle.

Old
02-28-2011, 12:17 AM
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart

Quote:
Who themselves are both trumped by Dubinsky.

Kel Varnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 12:17 AM
mrjimmyg89
'13-'14 East Champs

Quote:
Boyle? The guy isn't a 2 way player. He is much better on the defensive end and his offense is okay, but he has nothing on artie in terms of puck skills and natural ability. Boyle is more of the power forward type. Great along the boards and in front and crashing the net, once you get above the hash marks, Boyle isn't very effective.

Callahan might be better then Artie, but I see Artie has more skill on offense as well. Callahan throws some huge hits and I know he is a strong back checker, but Anisimov reminds me so much of watching Datsyuk in the D zone. If he can match his offense, we might have something we haven't seen on the NYR in a long time.

Old
02-28-2011, 12:18 AM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
We're not benching our 6th leading scorer in the playoff run. Especially not when we have 3 forwards out due to injury as it is.
No, we probably aren't benching him. And he's not playing that bad. But, can we bench our 7th leading scorer? How bout our 8th? 9th?

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 12:21 AM
Whoot Whoot
Biased-NYR-Homer

Quote:
Boyle? The guy isn't a 2 way player. He is much better on the defensive end and his offense is okay
Yes Dubinsky trumps both - I agree.

I'll let this speak for itself. Mind you this is our best goal scorer of the year and he plays in Torts' top 4 PK forwards (17+24, 8+22)

You really lend credibility to your argument. I wonder if people even watch the games.

Old
02-28-2011, 12:30 AM
mrjimmyg89
'13-'14 East Champs

Quote:
Yes Dubinsky trumps both - I agree.

I'll let this speak for itself. Mind you this is our best goal scorer of the year and he plays in Torts' top 4 PK forwards (17+24, 8+22)

You really lend credibility to your argument. I wonder if people even watch the games.
Gaborik - Down year, would 99 outta 100 outscore Boyle any year, missed games as usual
Dubi - missed games this year, has 2 goals less then him, more points
Cally - same, has 4 less goals, more points
Stepan - 3 less goals, more points, rookie

I will not discredit Boyle in terms of his contributions this year, but he is not going to outscore AT LEAST these players. Boyle has taken advantage of being on a team that has been hurt, playing a lot of younger players, and doesn't have another big body to stand in front of the net. Same goes for Prust. They are 4th liners, but the minutes they recieve, they produce more. Does it make him our biggest threat cause he has the most goals? Far from it.

Old
02-28-2011, 12:38 AM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
Quote:
He needs to be benched a few games. He has lost his confidence and his composure. Consistently with his head down with the puck, extremely weak in the corner, not finding open ice, not using his size. Really playing like a coward. He doesn't have the drive the other youngsters are showing at this point in the season.
As a sophomore he's surpassed his point production from last year, has played solid defense and at times has had streaks of fantastic offense. Compare that to other sophomores who are currently riding the bus in CT after having a solid rookie year, as AA did and I'd say AA is progressing just fine. Remember that these are kids that are still developing not veterans. You bench veterans that know better. You teach kids that are still learning.
Quote:
Boyle? The guy isn't a 2 way player. He is much better on the defensive end and his offense is okay,
You know he's tied for 4th in points and leads the team in goals right?

Last edited by vipernsx: 02-28-2011 at 12:50 AM.
vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 01:15 AM
Ola

I do not get the OP's points (playing like a coward? ), but the coaching staff must get through to Artem Anisimov and coach him offensively, because I do not think he is fully compareable to Dubinsky/Callahan and co.

Artem Anisimov is a very very solid hockey player. He can do everything, basically. But, and the problem I have with him, thats his lack of given and constant source of offense. Dubinsky always had the ability to with his reckless drive create offense. Then he went on cruise-controll for a while and didn't score any, but thats another issue. Callahan have his forechecking and shot. That's high % areas of which they can turn to and know sooner or later that goals will come. With Anisimov, he have a bunch of low % plays that might capatilize, but no real strength. A player like that is bound to be streaky and to struggle. I mean if Callahan struggles, he just needs to go out there and do one thing, and he knows offense will come sooner or later.

My point is, the coaching staff gotta be able to develop a niché/strength for Anisimov. With a all-around talented kid like AA, it can be a wide range of things. Be he needs to go in one direction -- because overall, he ain't no Malkin. He can start to become more of a shooter, develop his slapper more. He could try to add pretty many lbs to become more of a PF.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 08:36 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

I'm a huge supporter of Anisimov, but he is currently mired in a dip.

Hes having trouble getting off shots, he probably gets knocked down or off the puck more than any other forward on the team. Keeps his head down. Hes still learning to use his size consistently. I think he has room to grow there and will. Defensively you always get a good game out of him.

I think this is similar to the dip in play we saw Dubinsky go through last season, before he really turned it up late. Im hoping the same for Artie. Im not going to give up on him because IMO he is still developing. But consistency and being hard on the puck are definitely becoming issues. But you cant give up on the guy at this stage.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 08:52 AM
msv957

Confidence is a big thing for young players in the NHL. Some players such as AA seem to lose confidence throughout a season and it is tough to get it back. The good thing is AA is not relied upon to be the "man" on this team. He just has to keep pressing forward and gain his confidence back. He is young at 22/23 years old. Let him play through this without the added pressure.

msv957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 08:52 AM
Reijo R

I gotta say.....

There's two extremes on this board. The guys who think everyone who doesn't score 40 goals should be traded and the guys who think every young prospect will eventually turn into Sidney Crosby. I find it hilarious. You know, not every young kid makes it to an All-Star team, right? Glad I'm not a GM.

As for the topic, I'm not in favor of benching Artie because he's struggling, but I am very disappointed in his play over the past few months. His hands are so good, you'd expect a few quality scoring chances per game, but so many games go by where I wonder if he is even in the line-up. And when we're losing every game by one ******* goal, it's maddening. This guy is supposed to be a top 6 forward, and they need offense from him.

Reijo R is offline   Reply With Quote