Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > WHL

WHL Team in Whitehorse?

Old
02-19-2011, 01:29 AM
KevinBXA
Professional Caveman

vCash: 1349
WHL Team in Whitehorse?

ever since the game the Giants and Blazers played in Whitehorse i have been hearing a lot of half baked ideas of moving a team to Whitehorse, what do you think? i don't think anyone is serious, but it would be very cool. Takhini arena would not be suitable, is there a better rink? i know this seems VERY far fetched but its an interesting proposal. i have been hearing some rumblings of Chilliwack moving (nothing official or even credible) so, how bout Whitehorse?

please take this with a grain of salt, Ive just been thinking about this and wanted some other thoughts.

KevinBXA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 06:56 AM
Renegade Stylings
Tame Impala

vCash: 3333
How far is it to the nearest WHL city?

Renegade Stylings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 08:50 AM
nosl

vCash: 500
1620 km to Prince George.

This would be another St John's Fog Devils' like market having to fly everywhere.

nosl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 02:20 PM
WheatiesHockey

The occasional off site game probably works just fine. It is good public relations for the WHL and it creates a special event for the locals.
Having one or two games in Yukon and Alaska annually would be a great idea for widening interest in the junior leagues and player recruitment for the future. On an ongoing basis having a franchise in such a remote location would be a logistical and scheduling night mare.
As it stands right now, even Prince George and Brandon are considered WHL outposts so Whitehorse would be out the question.

WheatiesHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 04:23 PM
wjhl2009fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheatiesHockey View Post
The occasional off site game probably works just fine. It is good public relations for the WHL and it creates a special event for the locals.
Having one or two games in Yukon and Alaska annually would be a great idea for widening interest in the junior leagues and player recruitment for the future. On an ongoing basis having a franchise in such a remote location would be a logistical and scheduling night mare.
As it stands right now, even Prince George and Brandon are considered WHL outposts so Whitehorse would be out the question.
They could create a northern division with whitehorse/yellowknife/dawson city/alaska maybe 2 teams/northern bc it could do very well.

wjhl2009fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 05:57 PM
Shootmaster_44

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjhl2009fan View Post
They could create a northern division with whitehorse/yellowknife/dawson city/alaska maybe 2 teams/northern bc it could do very well.
That wouldn't work so well either. There's no highway from Whitehorse to Yellowknife. So a team would be forced to drive from say Fort Mac to Yellowknife, back down to Fort Mac and around and up to Whitehorse. The problem with the Territories is that road travel is difficult and likely requires flights between the cities/towns.

If a group of teams was willing to put together a league with a bankroll for flying, I could see a Junior A league working. I would anticipate that there are enough cities/towns in the Northern areas that have 1,000-3,000 seat arenas which all are big enough for Junior A. Whether they could pay the bills through flying with that capacity, without the tickets being NHL prices though remains to be seen.

Also, with Junior A you would have to restrict the teams to either the Territories or the CJHL would have to force Fort Mac and Grande Prairie's AJHL teams and possibly some of the BCHL or SJHL teams to join and decide on a line that is the North's geographic "territory." All in all, I think the best bet would be for a Whitehorse team to perhaps link up with the NAHL. Not quite Canadian Major Junior, but geographically it works since there are the few Alaskan teams in the league and Dawson Creek. Plus, since they are not CJHL teams they don't have a specific area of recruitment.

Again, this would take an ownership group that wants Junior hockey in the city. Nothing will happen aside from talk if nobody wants to front the money. I also don't see an existing ownership group simply running a team from afar in Whitehorse.

Shootmaster_44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 11:04 AM
travellingman345

As much as it would be nice to see teams in the North. Could you imagine a bus trip from Whitehorse to Brandon?? It's just not feesable.

travellingman345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 01:48 PM
KevinBXA
Professional Caveman

vCash: 1349
one of my buddies is an "insider" with a certain WHL team, next time i see him i will ask him what he thinks. if the Bruins are going to move, i would prefer to have them go to whitehorse

KevinBXA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 03:16 PM
WheatiesHockey

Expansion and franchise relocations are nowhere on the WHL agenda.
If the Dub does not have franchises in Winnipeg and Victoria, one would think Whitehorse would not even be a consideration.
Offsite games with Alberta and BC teams in WhiteHorse is still a neat idea to promote the league in rural and remote areas that realistically could never have a franchise.
It gives people in those communities to participate in the WHL experience without actually having a franchise of their own.

WheatiesHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 10:14 PM
fisherman

I have no inside knowledge whatsoever - but if the WHL expands any time soon I will be shocked. There are 22 teams already, with bus rides from Portland to Prince George, and then to Brandon. I know there's an unbalanced schedule, but everyone has to do one brutally long ride - and then the possibility of having to do it again in the playoffs. In most cases there's a decent product on the ice right now, but how much further can they push it? Not much, I hope sane folks would say.

Having said this, if a crazy thing were to happen and new franchises were called for: Winnipeg would have to be priority #1. (assuming the 'Yotes or Thrashers don't show up in the meantime...) But even as I type this I see that putting a team in the Peg makes that bus ride another 2 hours longer.

I do like the idea of the occasional one-off game in places like Whitehorse, or Yellowknife - or maybe a few other towns. But putting a team in Whitehorse permanently is out of the question. There are some places that are just too far away from anywhere else. Ask about Thunder Bay's OHL hopes... (130,000 people, great hockey town - just too far away...)

fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote