HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Brentwood Bruins win Preds Cup

Old
02-27-2011, 09:23 PM
zellthemedic

vCash: 500
Brentwood Bruins win Preds Cup

Grats to them, but I'm curious to know...is this the first time we've had HS hockey in TN?

I haven't heard of HS hockey in TN before now.

zellthemedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 09:24 PM
CantbeatzPekka
Weber/Jones/Josi

We've had hockey for a while now. a long time actually.

CantbeatzPekka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 09:33 PM
zellthemedic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goc Ya View Post
We've had hockey for a while now. a long time actually.
How many HS teams do we have?

Old
02-27-2011, 09:38 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by zellthemedic View Post
How many HS teams do we have?
16. They are divided into 2 divisions, Gold is the top and has 9 teams, Blue is the bottom and has 7 (divisions change every year, its insane) I currently play in GNASH, so I can give you some good info. Congrats to Brentwood, they were the top team all year.

PS- I know my school has had a team for 6 years, not sure how long the league has been around

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 09:39 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Is there any news about expanding the league. Anymore schools and teams out there?

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 09:43 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
Is there any news about expanding the league. Anymore schools and teams out there?
The league is in constant flux. One of the reasons we have 16 teams is some private school join together to from one team, and these partnerships are always changing. I have no idea what the plan is for next year, but there is not doubt some teams will fold, some will make new teams, and some will change co-ops. GNASH will take any school that wants to join, the interest just isn't there for many small schools.

Old
02-27-2011, 09:44 PM
predfan24

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
There's not enough ice available to add more teams. Pretty sure there have been schools the last few years that have expressed interest there just isn't room.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 09:54 PM
zellthemedic

I think the problem is that we don't have enough rinks around TN for a stable HS league. Or even college league.

Now, if someone with a lot of money sat down and donated to help start up a few rinks around TN...*cough*

Old
02-27-2011, 09:58 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Now, if someone with a lot of money sat down and donated to help start up a few rinks around TN...*cough*
Don't look at me, CalBerkley won't listen to my cure for cancer.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 10:03 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
I think the problem is that we don't have enough rinks around TN for a stable HS league. Or even college league.

Sullivan saved Southern Ice (now A-Game Sportsplex) a few years ago, and for that I am eternally grateful

MBA is building a rink (rumor has it). Hendersonville and Murefesboro both have plan to have rinks built by the end of 2012. Hockey here is growing, and people will realize the business opportunity soon enough.

Old
02-27-2011, 10:32 PM
zellthemedic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds9 View Post
Sullivan saved Southern Ice (now A-Game Sportsplex) a few years ago, and for that I am eternally grateful

MBA is building a rink (rumor has it). Hendersonville and Murefesboro both have plan to have rinks built by the end of 2012. Hockey here is growing, and people will realize the business opportunity soon enough.
That's great and all, but what about northern TN?

Clarksville has 115k people alone, not even including Hopkinsville, Oak Grove and Ft. Campbell (With them the number is closer to 200k...). And about only 1% of those people are willing to drive down to Nashville to skate or play hockey, but a huge, huge % more would want to skate.

An ice rink here would bring a huge amount of business.

Let me rephrase. An ice rink in the GOOD part of town. If we had one in the bad part of Clarksville, it'll sink.

Old
02-27-2011, 10:33 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:

Clarksville has 115k people alone, not even including Hopkinsville, Oak Grove and Ft. Campbell (With them the number is closer to 200k...).

And about only 1% of those people are willing to drive down to Nashville to skate or play hockey.

Let me rephrase. An ice rink in the GOOD part of town. If we had one in the bad part of Clarksville, it'll sink.
I would love one there, but, unfortunetly, I play high school hockey, so I hardly have the deep pockets to make that happen. I hope someone does though.

Old
02-27-2011, 10:41 PM
zellthemedic

Quote:
I would love one there, but, unfortunetly, I play high school hockey, so I hardly have the deep pockets to make that happen. I hope someone does though.
I also want one there so I can start up a Clarksville casual adult league. Or at least a team.

Old
02-27-2011, 10:43 PM
predfan24

Quote:

Clarksville has 115k people alone, not even including Hopkinsville, Oak Grove and Ft. Campbell (With them the number is closer to 200k...). And about only 1% of those people are willing to drive down to Nashville to skate or play hockey, but a huge, huge % more would want to skate.

Clarksville been rumored at times as well. The thing is ice rinks are very expensive to build and maintain. If a private investor is going to open one up he is going to go with the safest option. The safest option right now is Middle TN since hockey has been developing here for awhile and will continue to develop.

Like you said Clarksville has a larger population but it would take time for hockey to grow there at the grassroots level. In that case the owner would probably have to be willing to lose money for awhile. For reasons like this it has been rumored that the Preds would help private investors build rinks around middle TN and places like Clarksville to jump start hockey at the grassroot level. Dallas did a similar thing years ago and it worked well for them. The problem is of course that would be a very expensive undertaking.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 11:54 PM
CantbeatzPekka
Weber/Jones/Josi

Quote:

My dads old siding company painted Southern Ice when it first opened up, and thats what got me started in ice hockey. IMO hockey just needs to expand out of Williamson and Davidson county so hopefully with the building of these new rinks it accomplishes that. I mean that's all TN has ever needed is more rinks. Ice time is expensive so we just need that relief of a ton of rinks around so ice time is cheap as anything. I currently live in CO now and we have rinks everywhere it is ridiculous, TN will be much better off once we have rinks throughout the state, along with multiple ones per area too.

CantbeatzPekka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 01:18 AM
sparkle twin
I luv u summertime

Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
Congrats to Brentwood.

Hendersonville has 4 high school teams. We need a rink, NOW!

There was at one time a rumor of a plan to build a rink, but I don't know what ever happened to that. The city though is more interested in building up the Streets of Indian Lake and putting in some stupid lighted median on the outskirts of town (so useless).

sparkle twin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 04:31 AM
predwings

Quote:
Grats to them, but I'm curious to know...is this the first time we've had HS hockey in TN?

I haven't heard of HS hockey in TN before now.
Grats Brentwood (I'm a graduate) And theres been hockey for a while, but like they said. Rinks and motivation are hard to come by. Also, as the sport isn't sanctioned by the school, the players must pay a club fee and provide/pay for ice time and their own equipment normally. Some schools may have programs to help with this, but like Rugby around the Midstate area, it's hard to get kids to come play when it isn't really an official school support. A lot of schools don't sell hockey as a viable option also, no advertisement or exposure tends to lead to kids graduating middle school and not knowing it's even an option to join the club. (I'd love to see this all change). Anyways, grats Brentwood and hopefully hockey takes off in TN and we can start growing home prospects

predwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 05:50 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Clarsksville had a really nice roller hockey rink for awhile but it closed when the stuff in the middle East started heating up and the troops were depolyed. After the troops left there wasn't enough to support the rink and it closed. That's always going to be a problem in Clarksville.

Hendersonville has a better shot. You would figure there was enough money up there someone would build a rink.

Murfreesboro, land is there, approval is there, funding just isn't yet, but it's in the works.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 10:50 AM
zellthemedic

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
Clarsksville had a really nice roller hockey rink for awhile but it closed when the stuff in the middle East started heating up and the troops were depolyed. After the troops left there wasn't enough to support the rink and it closed. That's always going to be a problem in Clarksville.
I've only heard of one roller rink here in Clarksville, and that one is still running. So...I really don't know what you're talking about.