HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

[OTT/BOS]: Chris Kelly for 2nd round pick

Old
02-19-2011, 02:58 PM
Kickabrat
WHAT - ME WORRY?

vCash: 500
What I love is all this love for Kelly and Neil around here. I remember when they were signed and 90% of the people around here were calling for a lynching of Murray for the vast overpayment of these two now "lovable" characters. My how times change.

Kickabrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 03:21 PM
WasTeD
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Send a message via Skype™ to WasTeD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickabrat View Post
What I love is all this love for Kelly and Neil around here. I remember when they were signed and 90% of the people around here were calling for a lynching of Murray for the vast overpayment of these two now "lovable" characters. My how times change.
Then there is the rare of us who have always loved Kelly and Neil regardless of their contracts.

WasTeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 03:28 PM
PeterSidorkiewicz
Original *** allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by IhateDerekPlante View Post
Then there is the rare of us who have always loved Kelly and Neil regardless of their contracts.
Yup, I never once complained about either contract when they were signed. Theres too many people who post to paint all the fans with one brush.

PeterSidorkiewicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 03:29 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by IhateDerekPlante View Post
I think the point that needs to be made is that when you are a career NHLer...you will probably be a 2 million dollar cap hit atleast through the prime of your career.

It was well speculated that Neil would have made more on the open market...and a team like Detroit may have given it to him.

If you want to avoid paying career NHLers what they are worth or close to what they are worth....hope that you have a GM that can make a team out of players who are only RFA eligible. In other words...impossible. Every team will have players who are overpaid or perceived to be overpaid. Worrying about players with 2-2.5 million dollar cap hits being overpaid is a waste of time.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 03:52 PM
Kickabrat
WHAT - ME WORRY?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterSidorkiewicz View Post
Yup, I never once complained about either contract when they were signed. Theres too many people who post to paint all the fans with one brush.
Quote:
Kickabrat
FYI: "All"=100% not 90%. I'm assuming you are an Arts major and not a math major.

Old
02-19-2011, 04:33 PM
PeterSidorkiewicz
Original *** allstar

Quote:
FYI: "All"=100% not 90%. I'm assuming you are an Arts major and not a math major.
I am actually!

PeterSidorkiewicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 04:41 PM
PatrickEaves
Karan S'Jet

Quote:
They weren't overpayments, they were "fair market value", which with all the talk about "hometown discounts" they would be willing to give to stay in the city they loved, was something people faulted Murray for.

PatrickEaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 06:28 PM
Kickabrat
WHAT - ME WORRY?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyBass View Post
They weren't overpayments, they were "fair market value", which with all the talk about "hometown discounts" they would be willing to give to stay in the city they loved, was something people faulted Murray for.
In Neil's case, he DID give a hometown discount, he gave up $300K per year for 3 yrs to stay in Ottawa instead of Toronto. But that was not what everyone was complaining about. I just find it funny that these two guys are now supposed to be part of our core and because they are paid so little there is no need to trade them.

Small sample of posts about Kelly and Neil:

Quote:
SensFanDan: "At less than 1.5 he would be fine. He doesn't add anything that a dozen other third or fourth liners can add...." re Kelly

SpezDispenser: "The real tragedy might be that both Kelly and Neil WILL be on the third line because of the money they make. You don't drop 2 million dollar players to line 4 very often - and that's where the potential for our 3rd line to score around 16 goals all year."

rodwan553: "One of the worst days in the franchise's history." re Neil

HSF: "Omg **** Offfff Murray!" re Neil

MatthewT: "This makes Kellys contract look like a steal, terriable (sic)" re Neil

L'Aveuglette: "Screw this! This has been THE worst day in Sens trade history. You simply CANNOT keep Neil at more than $1.5M. ...."

The NHL Rulebook: "**** **** **** ass *****" Re Neil

Pyke: "Neil isn't worth $2m."

Theo Huxtable: "Absolutely terrible, awful signing. This is Murray's worst move ever. " re Neil

TheHMan: "This is downright unacceptable. There are no excuses for this." re Neil

Old
02-19-2011, 07:17 PM
Minister of Offence

Lots of people around here could benefit from taking a more even keeled approach to the decisions made by people more qualified...that's not to say there isn't a place to be critical...but at the time of the signings (and especially in hindsight), criticism was pretty unreasonable to me.

2 million dollars is the least you get away with paying tenured NHLers that are heading into UFA.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 12:03 AM
Hale The Villain

vCash: 50
Kelly garned the same return as Brad Boyes

Hale The Villain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 12:21 AM
pepty

vCash: 492
I dont think for the most part that the same people who said that Neil was overpaid are the ones now declaring that he is a treasure who should never be traded.

People just have different opinions, and even if some might change their minds its hardly a hanging offence.

pepty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 12:40 AM
Spezza

In fairness, it's not just about what you pay the player in a cap world - It's the opportunity cost. If we hadn't paid 2 mil for Kelly and Neil and had 2 rookies playing at minimum perhaps we could have dipped in for a stronger UFA.

Also, bare in mind that Kelly nearly doubled what he was making and t he cap has gone up another 4 million dollars since 2008. In hindsight, Kelly was worth the money, but there were good reasons behind the disquiet at the time.

Spezza is offline   Reply With Quote