HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Richards VIA Trade, Stastny Via Trade, Richards VIA UFA, or Stand Pat?

View Poll Results: What should the Rangers do
Trade for Stastny 34 20.12%
Trade for Richards 28 16.57%
Go to war with what we have this season and Sign Richards in the offseason 78 46.15%
Go to war with what we have and keep building from within, screw Richards 24 14.20%
Other. 5 2.96%
Voters: 169. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-27-2011, 11:37 AM
broadwayblue

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
Look at history. Few big name scorers ever make it to free agency. They get traded at the deadline or their rights are traded in June to a team that swoops in and signs the player. Too many examples (littered throughout this thread) to mention again.
But the last two big contract guys did. So many of us would disagree.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 11:39 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
Look at history. Few big name scorers ever make it to free agency. They get traded at the deadline or their rights are traded in June to a team that swoops in and signs the player. Too many examples (littered throughout this thread) to mention again.
I mentioned the two closest parallel examples to Richards: Kovy and Hossa. Superstars moved at the deadline. Quite to the contrary, BOTH of those players DID go to UFA.

Examples of guys traded after the season in the week leading up to the draft are NOT parallels. Especially since in those cases it seems clear to me that Philly, Calgary, etc. knew what the respective players' asking prices were and were willing to meet them.

BrooklynRangersFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 11:51 AM
howztheglass

If the Ranger's have a chance to get him and not give up the farm I say get him--first off we will have the additional time between now and July 1st to sign him to a long term deal and if for some reason he doesn't want to stay we can trade his rights to the highest bidder.

Win Win except for what we would give up in any package.Again not the farm,if we can't reach a deal with Dallas we move along on until the off season.

howztheglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 11:59 AM
Matt4776
HFBoards Sponsor

I am pretty sure Stastny is NOT available, but he is my favorite player in the NHL, so I went with that option. Would LOVE to see Stastny in blue.

Matt4776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 12:04 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by howztheglass View Post
If the Ranger's have a chance to get him and not give up the farm I say get him--first off we will have the additional time between now and July 1st to sign him to a long term deal and if for some reason he doesn't want to stay we can trade his rights to the highest bidder.

Win Win except for what we would give up in any package.Again not the farm,if we can't reach a deal with Dallas we move along on until the off season.
Yeah, we'll also have that time to hope his brain stops bleeding too!

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 01:48 PM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM PUNK View Post
depends on what we'd have to give up in the trades
This is the bottom line^.

Also Richards has concussion.
Not all concussion is equal. But definitely now not the time to trade anything significant for Richards when he is UFA in the offseason.

As for Stastny,
I voted for trade, but clarify now that is only if we do quantity for quality that works also for Avs (Girardi + Boyle + X). No Coke for Pepsi, that's just spinning our wheels. No Anisimov, Staal, etc.

bernmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 02:38 PM
Xtranova

Trade Anisimov, Grachev, Gilroy and a second. There's not a new Crosby skilled kid lurking around the corner any time soon anyways. And besides, the rest of our team is YOUNG! so it will last a lifetime anyways

Xtranova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 02:43 PM
azrok22

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtranova View Post
Trade Anisimov, Grachev, Gilroy and a second. There's not a new Crosby skilled kid lurking around the corner any time soon anyways. And besides, the rest of our team is YOUNG! so it will last a lifetime anyways
Personally, my offer for Richards would be:

Anisimov + Gilroy + 2nd round pick (Washington) + Conditional 1st (if Richards re-signs or the Rangers make it to the ECF)

for

Richards + Conditional 2nd (if Richards doesn't play at least 10 or 15 games as a NYR)

EDIT: I should add that I voted for Richards because I believe that Colorado has far more leverage with regards to any trade for Stastny. I think Colorado would almost certainly demand Dubinsky, Callahan, or Staal.

azrok22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 02:51 PM
Xtranova

I think we have to give up more for Stastny indeed. The fact that he is younger than Richards as well pretty much sums it up for me. The math after that isn't too hard. And I think that if Richards in blue becomes a reality tomorrow night.. I guess he is coming to stay! He might be somewhat of a missing piece to our puzzle! We've been nagging for a legit center for ages now, and he might turn out to be our Messiah. McCabe might be a good asset too!

Xtranova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 02:56 PM
NY Ranger86

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrok22 View Post
Personally, my offer for Richards would be:

Anisimov + Gilroy + 2nd round pick (Washington) + Conditional 1st (if Richards re-signs or the Rangers make it to the ECF)

for

Richards + Conditional 2nd (if Richards doesn't play at least 10 or 15 games as a NYR)

EDIT: I should add that I voted for Richards because I believe that Colorado has far more leverage with regards to any trade for Stastny. I think Colorado would almost certainly demand Dubinsky, Callahan, or Staal.
too much. wait for July 1st.

NY Ranger86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 03:14 PM
azrok22

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Ranger86 View Post
too much. wait for July 1st.
If he ends up being traded to LA, I am confident there is no July 1st.

If he isn't traded tomorrow and Dallas get their ownership **** together, I am confident there is no July 1st.

If he makes to July 1st, I am confident we won't be the only bidder.

Believe me, I'd prefer him on July 1st without giving up any assets. However, I'm not certain he ends up being available then, so I am willing to give up some assets to get him.

Anisimov, Gilroy, a 2nd, and a 1st is a substantial amount, but it is far from breaking the bank.

azrok22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 03:34 PM
Machinehead
★★★★

Stand pat for now. We're not ready yet imo, even with Richards, so I say we hold off on a big star until we're sure it's Cup time. There comes a time when you know it's time for a run, like when the Ducks got Pronger, and the Hawks got Hossa. I don't know if this year, or even next year, is that time for the Rangers, who are still very young a still growing.

Machinehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 11:00 PM
Chief

I think Richards' concussion will drive his price down and my gut tells me the Rangers get him tomorrow.

Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 11:08 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief View Post
I think Richards' concussion will drive his price down and my gut tells me the Rangers get him tomorrow.
Yep, I'm just worried one piece is a first round pick.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 11:30 PM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
Stand pat for now. We're not ready yet imo, even with Richards, so I say we hold off on a big star until we're sure it's Cup time. There comes a time when you know it's time for a run, like when the Ducks got Pronger, and the Hawks got Hossa. I don't know if this year, or even next year, is that time for the Rangers, who are still very young a still growing.
Part of me agrees with you, and part of me thinks we should get him now. He's the playmaker we've needed for quite some time. If the concussion drives down the price, I say we have to go for it.

If it's Anisimov + Gilroy + 1st I'd say you have to pull the trigger. Artie's a nice player, sure, but I don't see his ceiling as high as many. This is Brad Richards.... the guy is amazing. You have to make the move.

Players I wouldn't include in trade:

Staal
Hank
McDonagh
Sauer
Dubi
Cally
Boyle
Prust
Stepan
Girardi

KreiMeARiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 11:53 PM
GregNYR19
agitator

Send a message via AIM to GregNYR19
if we go to war with what we have, the playoffs WILL be a dog fight. NJ, BUF, and other teams are making rediculous runs and we're not putting up enough points. TB was a big game they needed a point at least. so this could look very different come march. battle now, go to FA. redden's contract might come off the books cuz he may walk. drury is the unknown but id rather have richards at part of the redden price. i cant see him getting a rediculous amount of money hes 30 or 31 lol

GregNYR19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 01:51 AM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

vCash: 920
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragshockey88 View Post
if we go to war with what we have, the playoffs WILL be a dog fight. NJ, BUF, and other teams are making rediculous runs and we're not putting up enough points. TB was a big game they needed a point at least. so this could look very different come march. battle now, go to FA. redden's contract might come off the books cuz he may walk. drury is the unknown but id rather have richards at part of the redden price. i cant see him getting a rediculous amount of money hes 30 or 31 lol
Oh, you cant?

It wasn't too long ago we signed some 30/31 year old players for ridiculous money

And don't think for a minute sather learned anything. We signed an enforcer who's currently on IR for 4 years right after getting burned on an enforcer on a 2 year contract.

Last edited by Hockey Team: 02-28-2011 at 02:02 AM.
Hockey Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 02:29 AM
DekeR

We lose the bidding war in July and who wants to overpay anyway. Would rather have the opportunity to negotiate a contract with Richards at seasons end than compete for his services.
If Statsny was available I would rather try to put together a package but I doubt he is available. But the package would not be a competitive one considering his injury prone status.

DekeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 01:32 PM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrok22 View Post
If he ends up being traded to LA, I am confident there is no July 1st.

If he isn't traded tomorrow and Dallas get their ownership **** together, I am confident there is no July 1st.

If he makes to July 1st, I am confident we won't be the only bidder.

Believe me, I'd prefer him on July 1st without giving up any assets. However, I'm not certain he ends up being available then, so I am willing to give up some assets to get him.

Anisimov, Gilroy, a 2nd, and a 1st is a substantial amount, but it is far from breaking the bank.
Nevertheless, big time no on moving Anisimov, IMO.

bernmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 07:35 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by DekeR View Post
We lose the bidding war in July and who wants to overpay anyway. Would rather have the opportunity to negotiate a contract with Richards at seasons end than compete for his services.
The noises that Richards has been making have seemed to be that he cares less about the ultimate dollar amount of the contract than the location he signs in. Sounds like he'll be negotiating with the Stars, Rangers and Lightning if he gets there. That will keep his contract right at market value. Problem right now is that we don't really know what market value is. It's certainly not $7.8m.

Tawnos is online now   Reply With Quote