HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What position do you play?

View Poll Results: What position do you play in Real Life?
Nothing, armchair coach/GM 8 10.13%
Offensive winger 11 13.92%
Defensive winger 3 3.80%
2-way winger 12 15.19%
Offensive center 3 3.80%
Defensive center 1 1.27%
2-way center 7 8.86%
Offensive defenseman 4 5.06%
Defensive defenseman 8 10.13%
2-way defenseman 9 11.39%
Goalie 9 11.39%
I coach a team 0 0%
Other 4 5.06%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-27-2011, 06:37 PM
JeffMangum
Debaser

vCash: 500
Right handed LW power forward.

Let's just say I was like Lindros, Lemieux, and Colton Orr combined.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 06:37 PM
allrevvedup25

I am all of the above except for the armchair or a goalie. Whatever my team needs me to be, I am that player.

allrevvedup25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 08:04 PM
SERE 24
LGR

I checked two-way winger on the poll but I played a fair amount of defense in college as well and I typically play D now in men's league because I'm a strong skater and I grew to like being on the back end of the offense playing it in school. Before college I was pretty much always on the wing. In college I played on the 2nd line, 2nd PP, 1st PK. I hit like a mack truck for my size (5'10 185lb) ...but really.

If I had to compare my game to actual NHLers that are infinitely better than me, they'd probably be like Darren Helm and Kris Russell. Oh yeah.

Last edited by SERE 24: 02-27-2011 at 08:54 PM.
SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 08:37 PM
GregNYR19
agitator

Send a message via AIM to GregNYR19
there was no option for two way center AND a coach so i picked 2 way center. i know u guys r gonna laugh but im a small center i stand about 5'6 (5'10 on skates) but i am pretty quick and a valuable member to my team. im also 177 lbs and virtually unmovable in front of the net with a low center of gravity. usually average a point per game but i play physically and im not afraid to get into it alittle bit even tho im small. i usually play the 1st line sometimes 2nd and i play both 1st pp and pk units also the sometimes an extra skater in situations where the goalie is pulled

TELL US WHAT KIND OF EQUIPMENT DOES EVERYONE USE!?

GregNYR19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 08:45 PM
SERE 24
LGR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragshockey88 View Post
there was no option for two way center AND a coach so i picked 2 way center. i know u guys r gonna laugh but im a small center i stand about 5'6 (5'10 on skates) but i am pretty quick and a valuable member to my team. im also 177 lbs and virtually unmovable in front of the net with a low center of gravity. usually average a point per game but i play physically and im not afraid to get into it alittle bit even tho im small. i usually play the 1st line sometimes 2nd and i play both 1st pp and pk units also the sometimes an extra skater in situations where the goalie is pulled

Um... what the heck kinda skates do you have?

Just messing with you, but skates only make you ~2" taller; there's definitely no skates that have a 4" holder.

I'm a Bauer guy, personally. I sold my old XXXX skates to someone from these boards and wear X:60s now. I swear by One95 sticks - I've been given/tried out S19s, TotalOnes, X:60s... I'll use One95s until I can't find them anymore. I still use a 5500 bucket and I'm wearing Vapor Pro gloves (like $80 on hockeymonkey; great deal for great gloves). The only thing I'd consider switching brands on is trying out a CCM helmet.

Old
02-27-2011, 08:49 PM
jacko23
KCCO!

if i woulda posted this here, it woulda been taken down or moved.....

either way, i play LW mainly. i take the occasional faceoff, but playing C isnt my strength. let me come down the side and rip em 5-hole

jacko23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 09:38 PM
Swept In Seven
Disciple of The Zook

I use ccm u+ skates I use bauer one70 gloves bauer 4500 bucket bauer one90 chest protector rbk 6k pants and seeing as I broke all my sticks I currently use eaaton stealth cnt

Swept In Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 10:20 PM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJBergy86 View Post
I use ccm u+ skates I use bauer one70 gloves bauer 4500 bucket bauer one90 chest protector rbk 6k pants and seeing as I broke all my sticks I currently use eaaton stealth cnt
Hell Yes. I've had a pro stock Stealth for like 3 years now. Hasn't failed me yet.

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 10:22 PM
SERE 24
LGR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stugots View Post
Hell Yes. I've had a pro stock Stealth for like 3 years now. Hasn't failed me yet.
I haven't had a stick last more than ~3 months in years. That might be a slight exaggeration, but it's not far from the truth.

Old
02-28-2011, 01:01 AM
Swept In Seven
Disciple of The Zook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetterqvist24 View Post
I haven't had a stick last more than ~3 months in years. That might be a slight exaggeration, but it's not far from the truth.
same here but this stick has honestly stuck with me since i was 14-15 and i am now 18 it just wont break every other stick lasts like 2-5 months and it sucks because they are not cheap at all... I remember when the S17 first came out and I had to have it ended up lasting a month and a half and self destructing on a slapshot which resulted in a turnover which resulted in a goal... man I was pissed

Swept In Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 01:29 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:

lets see
cheapo helmet
cheapo shoulder pads
cheapo pants
cheapo knee pads

RBK 10k skates
SE16 Zetterberg stick (LOVE IT)
RBK 10k elbow pads
Bauer Supreme one95 gloves

basically, i bought all super cheap stuff, and then as stuff has worn out, ive slowly replaced it with super awesome high end stuff. its too expensive to buy all at once, but one at a time, its cool.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 07:37 AM
eco's bones

Well I'm almost 54 now and I stopped playing in any leagues around mid 40's--though I've started skating again several months ago. Truthfully the skating is pretty good--the problem would be getting the stamina to play again--especially against 20's and 30's and it gets harder to pick yourself up off the ice the older you get.

Anyway I used to play either the wing (usually the right) or defense. I prefer playing defense. I was more two way than a stay at home.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 08:19 AM
Jackson Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Well I'm almost 54 now and I stopped playing in any leagues around mid 40's--though I've started skating again several months ago. Truthfully the skating is pretty good--the problem would be getting the stamina to play again--especially against 20's and 30's and it gets harder to pick yourself up off the ice the older you get.

Anyway I used to play either the wing (usually the right) or defense. I prefer playing defense. I was more two way than a stay at home.
I know what you mean. I'm in my late 40's and I'm still playing in a C league in NJ and when you occasionally get knocked down, you sure as heck feel it more than when you were younger. Sometimes it just sucks being old...but it's still fun competing.

Regarding the stamina, I try and hit the stationary bike at least two or three times a week with some high impact interval training. It's not the same as skating in a game but it's better than running on a treadmill.

Jackson Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 09:18 AM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson Ranger View Post
I know what you mean. I'm in my late 40's and I'm still playing in a C league in NJ and when you occasionally get knocked down, you sure as heck feel it more than when you were younger. Sometimes it just sucks being old...but it's still fun competing.

Regarding the stamina, I try and hit the stationary bike at least two or three times a week with some high impact interval training. It's not the same as skating in a game but it's better than running on a treadmill.
If I were to start playing again I'd be more inclined towards inline--the pace is a bit slower so I could cheat more. Defense would definitely where I'd want to be--less racing up and down.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 10:09 AM
JanErixon20

Quote:

I'm a Baur guy for the most part. Skates, gloves, helmet, sticks. I have Shock Doctor shinguards, though.

JanErixon20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 10:26 AM
mullichicken25

i was always a defensive d-man in club, high school, and college (so thats what i chose)

but now that its bear lauges i try to be an offensive dman

im real good at getting into the zone and pissing away a good scoring oppritnity haha

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 11:13 AM
nyr33

2 way center in college, offensive in mens league.
bauer 4 rolls, 4500 helmet one95, total ones and warrior dolo's

nyr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 11:18 AM
GregNYR19
agitator

Send a message via AIM to GregNYR19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetterqvist24 View Post
Um... what the heck kinda skates do you have?

Just messing with you, but skates only make you ~2" taller; there's definitely no skates that have a 4" holder.

I'm a Bauer guy, personally. I sold my old XXXX skates to someone from these boards and wear X:60s now. I swear by One95 sticks - I've been given/tried out S19s, TotalOnes, X:60s... I'll use One95s until I can't find them anymore. I still use a 5500 bucket and I'm wearing Vapor Pro gloves (like $80 on hockeymonkey; great deal for great gloves). The only thing I'd consider switching brands on is trying out a CCM helmet.
nice man. i just picked up a pair of the bauer supreme one100 limited editionshttp://feeds2.yourstorewizards.com/3...e100-le-sr.jpg

thats a link they are sweet skates, a real stiff pro level boot.

i have a bauer vapor x40 stick'um stick with a backstrom pattern. also just picked up a bauer 7500 helmet in black with a bauer tinted visor (gaborik style) my vapor 30 boots gave out and i spent alot of money on those skates

im about to buy a pair of vapor 4 roll gloves because the palm rotted on my eastons

guess im a bauer guy lol every piece of visible equipment i will own is bauer. my pants are also nike/bauer

GregNYR19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 11:43 AM
SERE 24
LGR

I used Backstrom/Naslund curves for a while (Bauer P92) but when I started playing more and more defense, I wanted to keep my wrist shot a lot lower and no matter how much I turned my wrists over, I felt like the P92 was always finding its way to the top half of the net (and over) when I was 20+ feet out. I switched to the P02 (Kronwall/Kesler) with a square toe and find that it's a lot easier to keep the wrister ~2 feet off the ground from beyond the circles now, and that the pattern overall makes me want to unload a slapper more often - something I didn't do much as a forward. The only thing is sometimes I still have trouble with the 7 lie (especially because I cut my sticks down), especially when I still have some One95s with a P92 that I'll use for pickup occasionally.

Old
02-28-2011, 11:49 AM
SlingshotVv
nerdy wrist-locks

I played defense in high school. first freshmen on Prep's varsity blue-line in 10 years. No point shot worth anything, but i could deke around wingers for mid slot wristers all day

SlingshotVv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 12:04 PM
MeltingPlastic

Always played as a Defensive Defenseman. I cared more about putting people on their ***** and ending the opponents rush more than I did about scoring. I was always out on the PK and my Sr year of HS i logged 35+ outta 45mins each game(oh to be in that shape again!)

Now playing in adult leagues I've dabbled a bit in the offense. I normally play Center if i play O but last game i decided to try out left wing just for the hell of it and it was kind of fun.

Equipment:

Old Bauer Vapor X shin guards
Eagle X50 gloves
Sherwood shoulderpads(whatever the thinnest ones they have are)
Bauer Flex Lite 4.0 Pro skates
Tackla girdle
Easton Elbow pads(been using the same ones since I was in 6th grade lol)
Bauer 5000 helmet with a Jofa cage

MeltingPlastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 12:12 PM
SERE 24
LGR

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeltingPlastic View Post
Always played as a Defensive Defenseman. I cared more about putting people on their ***** and ending the opponents rush more than I did about scoring. I was always out on the PK and my Sr year of HS i logged 35+ outta 45mins each game(oh to be in that shape again!)

Now playing in adult leagues I've dabbled a bit in the offense. I normally play Center if i play O but last game i decided to try out left wing just for the hell of it and it was kind of fun.

Equipment:

Old Bauer Vapor X shin guards
Eagle X50 gloves
Sherwood shoulderpads(whatever the thinnest ones they have are)
Bauer Flex Lite 4.0 Pro skates
Tackla girdle
Easton Elbow pads(been using the same ones since I was in 6th grade lol)
Bauer 5000 helmet with a Jofa cage
I find that what you play in men's league is all about how you approach your men's league experience. Playing the wing was enjoyable for my in college because there's less responsibility and I find it easy to block/poke away from blueliners and use my speed to generate rushes. Plus I didn't have the vision to run the offense the way our centers often did - I find my "view" of the ice is much better from the back end than as a forward. In men's league, however, while I'm not going to say I'm always more skilled than the other players on my team, I will say I have much better fundamentals and think the game better, because of my past experience, and therefore I'd rather play center, if I was playing forward, because I'd rather have the extra responsibility and dictate the play a little more. Plus the added responsibility doesn't come with the same pressure it did in college because there's not much up for grabs in a beer league game.

Overall though, I found that I enjoyed playing defense whenever I was given the option in college and that's mostly what I stick to now in men's league. In college, I played it pretty safe though, because opponents had the potential to burn me if I got caught deep in the offensive zone; in beer league, since skating is my strength, I can wander down as deep as behind the opposing net on offense and still get back to play defense if we turn the puck over because I'm younger (which generally means in better shape) and a much better skater than 90% of the guys I play with. The freedom to create offense from everywhere - whether it's throwing a 60 foot pass down the middle or carrying the puck in to the hash marks - is the most fun for me. I also like playing D in men's league because less people are eager to play it and that, coupled with most of the guys recognizing that I can skate for hours, means I get to play 40+ minutes every game. More ice time = more fun.

Old
02-28-2011, 12:22 PM
boxcar
we want MOORE

i play eveything but ref. Beer league all the way. D,C,W whatever. got "A" league wheels & hands. "B" league everything else. Started out as a fwd & sub goalie but have made great progress in the last 10yrs positionally due to coaching. The USA hockey coaching training is great. Got my level 3 a few yrs ago & it has helped me come from a terrible positional player who skates real well to a game controler. Nowadays I find myself most comfortable on D. its the perfect combo of fwd/Goalie. Stop the other team from scoring AND create offense. Bottom line is i love the game, gonna take some ref training next season to see if i like that too

boxcar is offline   Reply With Quote