HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

[LAK/EDM] Dustin Penner to LAK for Colten Teubert, 1st 2011, Cond 2nd/3rd 2012

Old
02-28-2011, 03:24 PM
triplcrown

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingPurpleDinosaur View Post

On an unrelated note, I do wonder about Hickey too. I do think the time is ticking for him as well.

I agree.

Hickey may be the next one moved--Maybe at The Draft for a pick or 2?

triplcrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 03:24 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
I still don't understand why every trade has to have a clear "winner"? Could this trade be overpayment? Maybe, maybe not. The Kings got the best current player and some will say they "win" the trade.

Why can't this just be a solid hockey deal? Both teams addressed a major need, the Kings needed a top LW and didn't want to lose a roster player. The Oilers needed a tough defenseman to replace Greene and some draft picks.

I'm very happy with today's events, top line LW and Williams extended. Teubert has been passed on the depth charts for LA and Dean has been solid with his lower round picks in the past to make a 1st expendable. The 3rd round pick was probably a little too much to add, but not a huge loss for the Kings.

Solid trade for both sides.

Go Kings!

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 03:25 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

Went out and played some pickup hockey and came back to this wonderful news.

The biggest thing the Kings lose in this deal are the picks and we have plenty of young depth anyway. Teubert is terrible and this move helps ease some of the pain of the awful Cammalleri trade and the even worse Teubert pick.

Would have preferred a more skilled sniper like player but can't complain, this is a massive upgrade to our #1 line, and he can take the spot Handzus currently has on the PP.

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 03:30 PM
Orenji

Kings traded a 1st and a conditional 2nd/3rd for Penner.

Teubert was never gonna crack our line-up. Martinez, Voynov, and Muzzin are not gonna get beat by Teubert. And when Scuderi and Mitchell leave in a few years, Forbort will probably be ready to break the top six.

Orenji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 03:30 PM
kMa7z1

For your viewing pleasure:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itCUA_usE5U

kMa7z1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 03:31 PM
Whiskeypete

i like the trade. all along i was for staying put. if a trade happened that it was for non-roster players, or top 5 prospects. i still would like to see Dean move 1 or 2 D prospects for some winger prospects out there. to once again parlay what he has in abundance for what the org lacks.

Penner/Kopi/Simmonds or DB
start with Wayne first and see if chemistry develops. TMu will tinker with this as we all know.

roll four lines the rest of the season and scratch Westie

Teubert imo wasn't going to ever make it in LA. if he did he would be the next Harrold. in agreement also that i think the clock is ticking on Hickey at this point. time will tell

all in all a very good day. JW re-signed, the LW hole filled....just one thing left. BEAT DETOILET

Whiskeypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 03:32 PM
DocWest
2012 & 2014 Champs

I'm so excited for this trade. We didn't hurt our roster at all and got Penner in return. On top of that we've got JW for a few years longer now. I think DL made a solid deal. Now does anybody know when Penner will join us? It would be nice to have him tonight against the Wings.

Also, it's hilarious how badly everybody wants Schenn. I bet DL answered the phone by starting off that he wasn't going anywhere.

DocWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 03:33 PM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpa View Post
Could you fill in the details this is news for me.

Edit: not "news" but I was not around when it happened.
Burke's story the week of the deal: http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2952263

6 months later: http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...-deadline.html

Deal background: http://lowonoil.com/2010-articles/ja...revisited.html

"The specific terms of the offer sheet deal included a 5-year $21.25 million dollar contract along with the Oilers top-three draft picks for the 2008 NHL Entry draft. Specifically, this included a first round, 12th overall pick in Tyler Myers, a second round, 43rd overall pick in Justin Schultz, along with a 3rd round, 73 overall pick in Kirill Petrov. Well, to be more accurate, it's impossible to predict who the Oilers would have selected with those picks, nevertheless those are the players that Oilers draft picks were used to select."

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 03:33 PM
Neutrino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live in the Now View Post
TSN is stupid.

our top 9 next year will be some variant of

Penner-Kopi-Brown
Smyth-Schenn-Williams
Clifford/Loktionov-Stoll-Simmonds

We didn't overpay at all. That top nine is sick.
QFT

Disappointed Habs fan here, you guys are ready for war, overpayment ? yeah right...

-> DL

Neutrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 03:45 PM
DAkings20
Kings can't score

I can't believe so many analysts say we gave up one of our "best" prospects. Do these idiots not follow guys after they are drafted? Teubert has been nothing special so far.

DAkings20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 03:52 PM
Led Zappa
Tomorrow Today!

I think LA overpaid a little, but you guys can afford it. Good move IMO. Makes you guys a little scarier for our next match-up.

Youth Movement! Tally Ho...
Led Zappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 03:53 PM
Flour Child
Unleavened User

vCash: 280
DL said that Teubert has made some progress in Manch this year [ Input from Monarchs fans?? ]

Forbort made Teubert expendable and I am happy to not give up aany roster players

Flour Child is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 03:53 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 50
If Teubert is like Greene--this is the part of the deal I hope for

I was always a Greene fan and it is something the Oilers are lacking--even if it is a few years away

this is a win deal for both teams

Heaven wont take me and hell is afraid I'd take 0ver
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 03:56 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

@DAK20,

Just like some people on this board they will always see him as a first round pick and will treat him as such. Even though if the 2008 draft were to be re-done today Colten Teubert wouldn't have a prayer of being a first round pick again.

It's unreal to hear some of these guys on TSN say he is a top prospect, it's amazing how some of these guys end up on TV. Someone want to tell these guys he was in the ECHL last year and a 3rd pairing/healthy scratch for Manchester.

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 03:57 PM
I Am Ziggy Palffy

hoping dustin penner steps up like dustin bufflin did last season in the playoffs.

it also might be too overly optimistic, but if its true that penner scored 30 while not being in peak shape, i'd like to imagine the possiblities of a leaner and stronger PF with hands

I Am Ziggy Palffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 03:58 PM
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStig View Post

I was always a Greene fan and it is something the Oilers are lacking--even if it is a few years away

Teubert definitely has the Greene attitude. But the Greene playing ability, maybe ever? I really don't know about that. It was a foolish pick especially given some of the far better players we have added to our NHL defense and prospect depth chart and we're lucky to have got something like this out of it. Not trying to bash on Teubert by saying he sucks or anything but we have a gang of players better than him below NHL level.

Live in the Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 03:59 PM
DAkings20
Kings can't score

Forbort, Voynov, Deslauriers, Hickey, Muzzin>Teubert

Simple as that, he was expendable and the furthest down on the depth chart of all our better D prospects.

Old
02-28-2011, 04:03 PM
Willard
Kings All The Way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
Okay, I was up til like 5 am mashing my refresh button and had nightmares of losing all my favorite players during my few hours of sleep cause of all the entertaining rumors, but the nail biting paid off I think. Seems like a good deal, and I will be so happy seeing my number 17 skate out tonight and still belong to LA.

So, how long til we get to see this new guy in purple?
I'm sure we'll see him in Thursday's game vs Phoenix.

Willard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 04:03 PM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStig View Post

You're getting a young Matt Greene assuming he continues to develop. Lombardi said as much at his press conference.

Question: You had invested a lot in Teubert. What was it like to give him up?

LOMBARDI: “That’s not easy. When I was down in Manchester, he has come a long way. I would say that he started off a little slowly, coming out of his draft year, but he arguably was one of our most improved players down there. I think, probably, the one reason I was able to do this is because we have Matt Greene. What I saw in Manchester was very much, in a lot of ways, a young Matt Greene. So I think Edmonton has got a good player here. He certainly has an m.o. that’s attractive. I think he’s still got some development to do, but there was no question that, with what I saw in Manchester, that he’s on the right track. Like I said, if I didn’t have Matt Greene on this team — and hopefully Greener is going to be here a while — this is something that I would have looked a little more hesitantly at.”

Old
02-28-2011, 04:05 PM
DAkings20
Kings can't score

I didn't realize Penner was so big. Listed at 6'4 and 245

Penner will wear #25 according to the kings website

Old
02-28-2011, 04:14 PM
Zach and Slater
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
You're getting a young Matt Greene assuming he continues to develop. Lombardi said as much at his press conference.

Question: You had invested a lot in Teubert. What was it like to give him up?

LOMBARDI: “That’s not easy. When I was down in Manchester, he has come a long way. I would say that he started off a little slowly, coming out of his draft year, but he arguably was one of our most improved players down there. I think, probably, the one reason I was able to do this is because we have Matt Greene. What I saw in Manchester was very much, in a lot of ways, a young Matt Greene. So I think Edmonton has got a good player here. He certainly has an m.o. that’s attractive. I think he’s still got some development to do, but there was no question that, with what I saw in Manchester, that he’s on the right track. Like I said, if I didn’t have Matt Greene on this team — and hopefully Greener is going to be here a while — this is something that I would have looked a little more hesitantly at.”
It is taking defensive defensemen to develop post lockout. Most of them can't handle the speed of the pro game now like how it was pre lockout, so it takes a while to adjust. Theo Peckham would be a perfect example. I like the deal for both teams and it's exactly what I thought Penner would bring back. One of your posters asked about him on our board about a month ago and I said a 1st and a prospect would get him for sure and that he wouldn't cost the as much as Hemsky.

Zach and Slater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 04:15 PM
DAkings20
Kings can't score

JeffMarek
Dustin Penner will wear #25 in LA. His number with the Maine Black Bears.

Old
02-28-2011, 04:25 PM
alpa
Yoda+Gandalf=Sutter

Quote:
Burke's story the week of the deal: http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2952263

6 months later: http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...-deadline.html

Deal background: http://lowonoil.com/2010-articles/ja...revisited.html

"The specific terms of the offer sheet deal included a 5-year $21.25 million dollar contract along with the Oilers top-three draft picks for the 2008 NHL Entry draft. Specifically, this included a first round, 12th overall pick in Tyler Myers, a second round, 43rd overall pick in Justin Schultz, along with a 3rd round, 73 overall pick in Kirill Petrov. Well, to be more accurate, it's impossible to predict who the Oilers would have selected with those picks, nevertheless those are the players that Oilers draft picks were used to select."
Thank You Sir.

Burke was right that was a grenade thrown at 29 teams.

alpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 04:33 PM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

I LOL'd. From the Oiler forum:

http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=3...3&postcount=56

Old
02-28-2011, 04:34 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 50
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
HaHa! That's awesome. Hopefully Penner gets here today, the NHL Network showed Penner and the Oilers equipment manager loading up a truck outside the practice facility with his gear and he's heading out. Dustin Penner, Come on down!

“This is for you Kings fans wherever you may be. All the frustration and disappointment of the past is gone. The 45 year drought is over. The Los Angeles Kings are indeed the Kings of the National Hockey League. They are the 2012 Stanley Cup Champions!” - Bob Miller
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote