HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Deadline

Old
02-28-2011, 02:49 PM
AEM6729

vCash: 500
Ugh. Was hoping that since we're still in it, we'd pick up a semi-exciting forward...especially with something like 15 of our last 20 games being at home. Picking up a good player would excite the fan base, send a message the organization is serious about making the playoffs, and help attendance.

I'd love to know what deals were on the table that fell through...

AEM6729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 02:58 PM
MattPreds37

Is it Official that weve done nothing??

MattPreds37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 03:01 PM
predfan24

If guys like Macarthur were going to cost Blum or Ellis then I'm glad we did nothing.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 03:29 PM
OpenWheel

I thought we were done when we picked up Fisher.

Go Preds! We can make the playoffs and have a chance to win. It felt like it when we were winning anyway. Remember all the "roll three lines" talk? Well, that's why we got Fisher, so we can.

If someone had offered a true scorer for not too much in assets, Poile would have done it. But apparently he didn't find a decent deal for an UFA or someone who looked tradeable in the off-season.. We can't take on a big contract for next season, or maybe even even for a rental.. Between buying out Dumont, Shea getting a huge raise, having 4 ,4.5, and 6 million in Fisher, Erat, Legwand. The man does have to live within a budget.

Poile got Fisher early, so we could win. That was his move. Too bad we went on a losing streak right afterward. I prefer to think that we added Fisher AND Blum... Sounds stronger...

Last edited by OpenWheel: 02-28-2011 at 03:34 PM.
OpenWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 03:38 PM
Webersmashpuck

vCash: 1088
Looking around the NHL I am glad we didn't make any trades today and we got probably the best player for our team that was moved.

The thing I kind of regret is us not being able to trade JP he would have got at least another 2nd for us and Ward would have brought back a 3rd.

The other thing is that the West really did not get stronger except for LA. The only thing of significance was the PHO/CBJ swap.

Webersmashpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 03:51 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

When TSN says the sellers won the deadline day NOT making a move is the best move.

Calgary got F Fredrik Modin, F Tom Kostopoulos, D Anton Babchuk lost 7th-Round Draft Pick (2011), D Ian White, F Brett Sutter

Minny got D Jeff Penner, F Mikko Lehtonen lost G Anton Khudobin

Dallas got D Alex Goligoski, F Mikhail Stefanovich, F Jamie Langenbrunner, lost F James Neal, D Matt Niskanen, F Fabian Brunnstrom, Conditional 3rd-Round Pick (2011)

Chicago got D Chris Campoli, F Michael Frolik, G Alexander Salak, Conditional 7th-Round Draft Pick (2011) lost 2nd-Round Draft Pick (2011), F Ryan Potulny, F Jack Skille, F Hugh Jessiman, F David Pacan

Nashville got Fisher conditional 7th (2012) lost Sulzer, 1st-Round Pick (2011), Conditional 2nd/3rd-Round Pick (2012)

Anaheim got F Joel Perrault, 3rd-Round Pick (2011), Brad Winchester, F Brian McGrattan, D Sean Zimmerman, G Dan Ellis, F Jarkko Ruutu, D Francois Beauchemin, 5th-Round Pick (2012) 7th-Round Pick (Conditional), D Nate Guenin, F Maxim Lapierre, D Nigel Williams, F Matt Kennedy, F Stefan Chaput, F Patrick Maroon
F David Laliberte lost F Maxim Lapierre, F MacGregor Sharp, 3rd-Round Pick (2012), F Stefan Chaput, F David Laliberte, G Curtis McElhinney, 6th-Round Pick (2011), D Paul Mara, F Aaron Voros, Joffrey Lupul, D Jake Gardiner, Conditional 4th-Round Pick (2013), F Trevor Smith, D Brett Festerling, 5th-Round Pick (2012), D Stu Bickel, F Ryan Carter, F Rob Bordson, D Danny Syvret

Columbus got F Greg Moore, F Michael Chaput, F Scottie Upshall, D Sami Lepisto, F Trevor Smith, F Dane Byers Lost F Tom Sestito, D Rostislav Klesla, F Dane Byers, D Nate Guenin, F Chad Kolarik

Hey Anaheim, you know team chemistry and consistency is a good thing.

Last edited by BigFatCat999: 02-28-2011 at 04:21 PM.
BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 04:06 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
When TSN says the sellers won the deadline day NOT making a move is the best move.
will we still feel that way when the season ends, we're in 11th place, and the Senators are celebrating the 12th overall pick they wouldn't have seen coming?

I guess we'll see how our stockpiled assets comfort us, in that scenario.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 04:14 PM
tserberis*

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
will we still feel that way when the season ends, we're in 11th place, and the Senators are celebrating the 12th overall pick they wouldn't have seen coming?

I would like to see Boyes for second for us.
What assets???

tserberis* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 04:19 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post

well, would you have felt differently if we had done the Fisher deal today?
I am disappointed, mainly because we have played like crap even with Fisher, but its still not like we did nothing .

Quote:
Originally Posted by tserberis View Post
I would like to see Boyes for second for us.
What assets???
even in the unlikely event that the Blues would have traded with a division rival, I wouldnt want to be on the hook for his 4 million next year.

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 04:19 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Can't see St Louis helping a division rival for a playoff push. Makes sense that he went out East.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 04:27 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
Look at all the names that didnt move... Richards, Hemsky, Weiss, Booth, Macarthur..

very underwhelming deadline compared to others.

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 04:30 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
well, would you have felt differently if we had done the Fisher deal today?
I am disappointed, mainly because we have played like crap even with Fisher, but its still not like we did nothing .

even in the unlikely event that the Blues would have traded with a division rival, I wouldnt want to be on the hook for his 4 million next year.
I don't think Boyes was the answer, but do agree that STL likely wouldn't have wanted to move him to a division rival.

I think the Fisher deal was a good start...but will admit that I'm starting to wonder if he was the right player to have cashed out on. He is in position to score more than anyone on the team, and has been since he arrived, but has one goal to show for it. Finishing was described as an issue by Senators fans when we made the trade, and I don't think i really grasped it until yesterday. I digress, though. We made the Fisher deal, and unfortunately lost Goc immediately after, thus negating Poile's enthusiastic justification for the trade, "This puts us back to our opening night plan, where everyone plays where they're supposed to." So what's the backup plan? You're basically admitting that you're going to have to go with a model that you wouldn't have planned on, and worse, a model that has not been working for the last month and change.

Poile made the usual, "well, we've got Blum up, we've got Geoffrion and Halischuk up, so we're going to count on them to chip in." That's a little disheartening, given that both of those forwards are essentially more of what we have in abundance-- bottom six, grinding, limited offense players. Maybe Geoffrion will be more one day, but he's not now.

Sadly, the real "key deadline" move would be for Wilson, Hornqvist, Dumont, Fisher...to a lesser extent SK, Erat and Legwand...to figure out what it is that's making them so completely unable to score.

...but...that hasn't happened thus far this year, so I'm admittedly a little pessimistic.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 04:30 PM
Jarnberg

Poile says he is wanting the young guys to step up.

I guess he means Geoffrion, Wilson. Yeah they'll make our offense crack the top 20 in offense in the league.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 04:31 PM
tserberis*

This deadline sucked. We'll see how it is gonna go now.

My gut tells me even If we make it to the PO we out in first again.

Last edited by tserberis*: 02-28-2011 at 04:58 PM.
tserberis* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 04:31 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

It would be better if Dumont stepped up. Also the defense is slipping lot more 3 GA games.

Old
02-28-2011, 04:50 PM
Dodgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
It would be better if Dumont stepped up.
I know Dumont has a lot of Haters and a lot of people wanted him gone but he DOES tend to "step it up" in the playoffs IIRC.
He's got the skills, the hands of a surgeon, and play-making ability.
He may have lost a step, with his age, or could perhaps even be playing hurt, but he's a viable option for a top-six winger if heaven forbid we lose someone else to injury.

Dodgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 05:08 PM
deanwormer

We haven't played well since Fisher deal, but, if you'll remember, we got Fisher to be our THIRD center; Goc was still playing between SK and Marty and Trotz was fooling around with Leggy between Horny and Sully. At worst, Fisher would have been coming in to center Wilson and Dumont/Svatos. It was a reasonable deal. It was not a deal I would have done after Goc went down.

That's not to say I don't think we can get into the POs - I think we can get a 7 or 8 spot. But, a little healthier and I think we had a shot at a 4th.

As for the kids stepping up, if Poile really feels that way, he needs to bring Klassen or whoever the most talented kid at Milw is and tell Trotz to put him with Wilson and Geoffrion and skate JP with Leggy and Horny.

deanwormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 07:15 PM
darth5
Rowsdower!

When you think about the deals that got done, the one that really jumps out to me is Penner to the Kings. While in theory he could be worth what they paid, that is a steep price for one roster player (TSN referred to it as a King's ransom --ha ha). I did not see many other players moved that I think would significantly improve the team. It is possible we could have made some kind of salary neutral roster player trade to improve the chemistry, to shake things up-- since the team is really in a funk right now.

But at the going rates, as much as it pains me to say it, I am not sure a move would have been worth the cost right now. I would like to know what moves were under discussion that were not made.

This team needs a couple of things for the sprint:
1) Erat needs to heat up. If this team does not have at least 2 scoring threat lines, the second round is still a pipe dream.
2) Tighten up the D coverage again.

I think it has as much to do with other teams elevating their game as the points become more valuable as it does the team in a letdown. Lets not forget most of these teams have a lot to play for, too.

Last edited by darth5: 02-28-2011 at 07:15 PM. Reason: typo
darth5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 10:39 PM
token grinder

just curious if anyone heard poile about svatos. basically said he didn't work hard enough here. just throwing it out there, and I will continue to.

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 05:31 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

He said on interview that the Svatos waivers was 'bad timing' with the Sullivan injury

Old
03-01-2011, 11:21 PM
Jarnberg

lol....

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 11:39 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Should of got Zherdev at least

I Will Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 07:28 AM
PredDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Will Son View Post
Should of got Zherdev at least
I agree. I didn't see any harm in claiming him off the wire.

I know he's been accused of being a lazy piece of chum, but maybe he could have notched a few goals before we threw him to the curb?

I think he was worth the risk... (especially with our goal scoring challenges).

PredDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 07:50 AM
OpenWheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredDave View Post
I know he's been accused of being a lazy piece of chum, but maybe he could have notched a few goals before we threw him to the curb?
Nope, to be a Predator you have to be high character hardworking non-scoring chums. I like the Predator way, except the non-scoring part.

I'm not completely discouraged. We aren't out of it.

And next season we have a 50 goal scorer returning, although costly at 14.5 million dollars. Erat, $6.5 for maybe 20 goals (I like being optimistic); Legwand, $4.5 for 16 goals; Fisher, $4.0 for 14 goals. Total 50 goals. And it drops to only a 12.5 million total for those three in two years.

OpenWheel is offline   Reply With Quote