HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Flyers receive Tom Sestito from Columbus for Michael Chaput and Greg Moore

Old
02-28-2011, 05:04 PM
mypunkrock

vCash: 500
How does he skate?

Also, can we get the meme "His Knuble-y appendage" going?

Because I see Knuble all over this.

mypunkrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 05:06 PM
StCroixHaberdasher

Sestito is a big boy from Rome NY and could be a nice mold to fit the Flyers style 6'5 235lbs .. I hope maybe he can play up for a few games, but i could see him playing more in the AHL.
Flyers must have had their eye on Sestito and like what they see.
Giving up Chaput seems high , so they must know something.
I never like seeing a #1 pick get traded for a 3rd rounder.
Go Flyers

StCroixHaberdasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 05:10 PM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

I also see this as a Shelley/Carbomb replacement due to injury.

I don't mind the trade at all. Big body player who loves to play hard and physical.
He scored 40g in Junior and is a Luongo killer ;-) [first goal NHL goal was scored against him]

dingbathero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 05:11 PM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

Quote:
Originally Posted by StCroixHaberdasher View Post
Sestito is a big boy from Rome NY and could be a nice mold to fit the Flyers style 6'5 235lbs .. I hope maybe he can play up for a few games, but i could see him playing more in the AHL.
Flyers must have had their eye on Sestito and like what they see.
Giving up Chaput seems high , so they must know something.
I never like seeing a #1 pick get traded for a 3rd rounder.
Go Flyers

Both were 3rd rounders in different years. Chaput going 86th (iirc) and Tostito going 85th (iirc)

Old
02-28-2011, 05:13 PM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

Quote:
Originally Posted by mypunkrock View Post
How does he skate?

Also, can we get the meme "His Knuble-y appendage" going?

Because I see Knuble all over this.
You've been Tostito'd Couldn't resist

Old
02-28-2011, 05:13 PM
Flyersguru

He's not a heavyweight fighter like people are pegging him here, he's a physical forward like a Hartnell-ish forward, has some offensive skill and will drop them if need be.

Flyersguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 05:15 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Can't argue with this trade. Maybe he'll be a cheap 4th/3rd liner next year or the year after (assuming he is re-signed)?

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 05:16 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyersguru View Post
He's not a heavyweight fighter like people are pegging him here, he's a physical forward like a Hartnell-ish forward, has some offensive skill and will drop them if need be.
More of a Maroon replacement than a Shelley replacement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Can't argue with this trade. Maybe he'll be a cheap 4th/3rd liner next year or the year after (assuming he is re-signed)?
Holmgren was gushing. Sestito will be re-signed.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 05:22 PM
Gulvorn

For people wondering, Sestito played well with the Jackets while he was up here. But he was sent back down after 9 games to avoid his contract kicking in.

The Jackets likely traded him because they need more than Johansen as far as center prospects go and Chaput adds that.

Sestito while prior to this year would have been considered likely a 4th line player who mostly just goes out their to fight, his progress in the AHL and the NHL has shown that he's capable of scoring and providing a spark to the team. People really grew to like him this year in Columbus.

He is so huge you can basically just put him anywhere near the net and his job is accomplished. But he's pretty much always willing to fight. If it weren't for Boll's development offensively recently I would say he's like a bigger version of Jared Boll with less offensive upside but more agitator like Derick Dorsett. He'll likely be a 4th liner but he could be a 3rd liner simply because he's so huge.

Gulvorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 05:23 PM
StCroixHaberdasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingbathero View Post
Both were 3rd rounders in different years. Chaput going 86th (iirc) and Tostito going 85th (iirc)
You are correct, my bad. Sestito was CBJ 3rd pick 85th in 2006 .

Old
02-28-2011, 05:24 PM
Flyers93

Like it.

Flyers93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 05:24 PM
Gulvorn

Or rather sent back down because he would have been claimed on waivers. He's contract has already kicked in a long time ago.

Also the Jackets have a ton of winger prospects looking to get into the NHL so it made sense for us since we already have a similar type player in Jared Boll, except I think Sestito is a bigger presence and more aggressive.

Old
02-28-2011, 05:26 PM
Flyers93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulvorn View Post
For people wondering, Sestito played well with the Jackets while he was up here. But he was sent back down after 9 games to avoid his contract kicking in.

The Jackets likely traded him because they need more than Johansen as far as center prospects go and Chaput adds that.

Sestito while prior to this year would have been considered likely a 4th line player who mostly just goes out their to fight, his progress in the AHL and the NHL has shown that he's capable of scoring and providing a spark to the team. People really grew to like him this year in Columbus.

He is so huge you can basically just put him anywhere near the net and his job is accomplished. But he's pretty much always willing to fight. If it weren't for Boll's development offensively recently I would say he's like a bigger version of Jared Boll with less offensive upside but more agitator like Derick Dorsett. He'll likely be a 4th liner but he could be a 3rd liner simply because he's so huge.
With him being so huge, how is his skating? Better than Jody Shelley I hope.

Flyers93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 05:33 PM
Gulvorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers93 View Post
I don't really remember. He was up here earlier in the year. I think his skating is probably average. But if it's any indication he was the 3rd leading scorer for the AHL affiliate Falcons (goals and points per game) after Calvert moved up to the AHL. 11G-21A-32P in 46 games and then 2G-2A-4PTS in his 9 NHL games this year where he played 4th line.

Old
02-28-2011, 05:33 PM
lancer247

Nice pick up. I like Sestito. I had a few CLB fans tell me earleir this season he was in the teams plans when I asked about him in a chat. I guess it comes down to how well his skating has improved. Dude is huge and can handle himself but not really a H/W. More likely a hedge should they let Carcillo walk after the season.

If you liked Clifford from the Kings when he was in town (which I did) Sestito is similar.

lancer247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 05:34 PM
Dr. Fire
What, me worry?

Jacket fan here.

I liked Tommy. He did a great job the 9 games that he was here earlier in the season, and gained a lot of fans in Columbus. He is a big kid with lot's of energy, and he will take the punishment in front of the net. He actually has pretty good hands to boot. Also won't back down from a fight, and will stick up for teammates.

Most here thought he would have been a regular with the CBJ by now if not for some untimely injuries that set him back a bit.

He is just the kind of guy that you guys might need for your play-off push depth. You have tons of skill guys, and Tommy will just add some toughness, grit, energy, and probably a few goals to boot.

I'll miss him. I wanted to see him in a Jacket uniform full time some day, but that won't happen now. Hope he plays great for you guys and wins the fans respect.

Dr. Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 05:34 PM
caley

In Gare Joyce's book 'Future Greats and Heartbreaks' he states that a year after they chose Sestito in the third round, another NHL team offered Columbus a first round pick for his rights, but that Columbus declined because they were so impressed with his development into a scoring forward in juniors. Columbus fans seem to feel his play has tailed off in recent years after some injuries/concussions and that he now no longer has the ceiling he once did.

caley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 05:40 PM
lancer247

Quote:
Originally Posted by caley View Post
In Gare Joyce's book 'Future Greats and Heartbreaks' he states that a year after they chose Sestito in the third round, another NHL team offered Columbus a first round pick for his rights, but that Columbus declined because they were so impressed with his development into a scoring forward in juniors. Columbus fans seem to feel his play has tailed off in recent years after some injuries/concussions and that he now no longer has the ceiling he once did.
Dreaded issue! He sure doesn't seem to play like he is timid because of the past concussions. Hopefully, he can stay healthy. This team can use someone other then Hartnell to plant in front of the next. Hopefully, he wouldn't be needed this season.

lancer247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 05:41 PM
mm6492

athis also opens up a roster spot, correct? Hopefully we fill it with a top NCAA FA.

mm6492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 05:41 PM
StCroixHaberdasher

Pull up some fights on youtube. Some good ones lately for CBJ vs
Stortini, Staubitz, Regehr and others..

Old
02-28-2011, 05:42 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm6492 View Post
athis also opens up a roster spot, correct? Hopefully we fill it with a top NCAA FA.
Chaput wasnt under contract but Moore was. We just filled Moore's contract spot with Sestito though. All I know is, by a few months time, Da Costa better be signed by the Flyers.

Quote:
Don't they call Philly the #CityofBrotherlyLove? So #Flyer fans am I supposed to be easy on my #Devils bros Tim? **** NO! Lets go Flyers!
Posted by Sestito on his twitter account.... **** it. Im a fan of his already.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 05:47 PM
Xoggz22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers93 View Post
His skating is far better than Jody's. His hands are excellent as well. CBJ played him in front of the net on 2nd PP unit and he did well.

I think this is a good move for both teams. Columbus really needed some C depth and by the sounds of it had their eye on Chaput prior to the Flyers selecting him. Decent size, excellent on face-offs and plays a two way game. right?

You'll like Sestito but be advised he has suffered serious injuries in his young career already. One being hip surgery. Good luck

Xoggz22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 05:52 PM
King Forsberg
21 68 88 16 44 28

Well Sestito certainly seems happy to be hear based on his Twitter posts. Im a fan already. I have a good feeling about him.

King Forsberg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 05:58 PM
JacketsFanWest

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer247 View Post
Dreaded issue! He sure doesn't seem to play like he is timid because of the past concussions. Hopefully, he can stay healthy. This team can use someone other then Hartnell to plant in front of the next. Hopefully, he wouldn't be needed this season.
There's no problem with Tommy being timid. There's probably more of an issue with him not knowing when not to fight.

But he did hit his head on the ice very badly during a pre-season fight with Tootoo in 2009:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...out/index.html

Sestito had a 40+ goal season for the Plymouth Whalers, playing with James Neal and there was a point where he looked to have the same upside as Neal. But the injuries started piling up - including hip surgery, shoulder injuries, etc.

JacketsFanWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 05:59 PM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
You guys will love Tough Guy Tommy.

Timeless Winter is offline   Reply With Quote