HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

[VAN/FLA] Chris Higgins for Evan Oberg and a 3rd round pick

Old
02-28-2011, 04:40 PM
Bobby Lou
We Surrender

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
Neither of these guys - especially traded-every-six-months Lapierre - strike me as particularly useful guys and especially not as AV kinda guys.
According to Gillis' presser AV was pretty integral in bringing Lapierre into the organization.

Higgins apparently has past connections with Bowness?

Bobby Lou is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 04:45 PM
Momesso

Anyone got a link to the presser?

Momesso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 04:49 PM
Britton

Didn't Kesler and Higgins play on a line together in the WJC?

Britton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 04:55 PM
VanEric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Lou View Post
According to Gillis' presser AV was pretty integral in bringing Lapierre into the organization.

Higgins apparently has past connections with Bowness?
Higgins excelled under Claude Julien, who shares a similar coaching style as AV.

VanEric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 04:57 PM
lush
@jasonlush

I don't even remember whether the 12 games Higgins played with the Flames included a single contest against the Canucks. Either way, I can't say I've seen Higgins play much at all, though he's been in the east for most of his career.

With Higgins it's pretty hard to predict how he will do here statstically, if he winds up on a second unit PP that will help his numbers. If he can't adapt and plays only a bottom 6 role with no PP time it's doubtful he'll put up much statistically.

I really like his age, he'll fit in with the team really well in that regard. He's put up 0.5 ppg in the playoffs over his career, it's pretty hard not to be happy about that.

lush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 04:57 PM
Matty

Like this move. Higgins gives Torres and Raymond a reason to up their consistency as he can easily move up the lineup if needed. Torres is playing great right now, but if he cools off, the Canucks now have a real option. Raymond is struggling and if he can't get going, could easily find himself on the 3rd or 4th line.

I really felt that going into the trade deadline, the Canucks needed to add a player who could potentially play in their top 9. I would even argue that that was a much bigger need than the 4th line center position.

Matty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 05:00 PM
B-rock

Quote:
Neither of these guys - especially traded-every-six-months Lapierre - strike me as particularly useful guys and especially not as AV kinda guys.

But it's not like the price was high, so I guess it's worth a roll of the dice...
How is Lapierre not a useful guy. When he plays hard, he's a great ****-disturbing 4th liner that brings a bit of skill. Higgins was a legitimate top 6 forward in MTL. I watched him quite a bit when he was there, and loved his play, though I"m not sure what happened to it/him.....if he can get it together he's a great player. And if not, he's still a great player for the 3rd line.

B-rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 05:03 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:

But it's not like the price was high, so I guess it's worth a roll of the dice...
Max Lapierre is very much an 'AV kinda guy'. He competes hard, is physical, kills penalties and gets by on effort and determination. He's your prototypical Vigneault type bottom 6 forward and I'm not surprised the coach's input played a big role in his acquisition. Alain loves trying to turn guys with limited natural ability into more valuable players that can take on bigger, more important roles.

Lapierre right now at 25 years of age is exactly where a 25 year old, 9 point in 81 games Alex Burrows was...

Drop the Sopel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 05:05 PM
xtr3m

Quote:
Lapierre played under AV in the Q. He was tasked with shutting down a guy named Sidney Crosby.

xtr3m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Very good trade guys. I was praying for Montreal to get him back, but when I saw Vancouver got him (second favourite team), I couldn't complain much! Higgins jersey coming my way!

If Raymond continues to struggle, I think Higgins could slot in on line #2.

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Sammy - Kesler - Raymond/Higgins
Torres - Maholtra - Lapierre
Hansen - Hodgeson - Raymond/Higgins

Might not be too bad, in my opinion.

Higgins is a pretty damn good player. You're going to love him in the corners. He digs and digs and digs. He doesn't throw bonecrushing hits, but he still will go to the gritty areas.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
alternate

I think I would have rather had BMo and Sweatt and kept all the assets we gave up.

alternate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Moobles

Don't get too excited. These are depth moves. Higgins has been decent on the PK but since his breakdown in Montreal he's looking a lot more like Raffi Torres then someone you'd slot beside Kesler. However, the bare minimum we really need out of him is to continue being a decent depth option for the PK and a checking winger. If he is able to produce and become the pivot option for our second-line that Bernier never was when Raymond or Samuelsson go through these cold streaks, that'd be a huge bonus (but not something I'm anticipating).

Lapierre's going to be a bit of a project. If he tones down his yapping but keeps up his strong physical play he could be a real asset to our 4th line I think. Considering AV/Gillis' success with Kesler and Burrows I imagine they're hoping to do similar things with Lapierre (though obviously his ceiling would more be a long-term checking center). He's a great option for our fourth line at the moment though and was pretty cheap.

Moobles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 05:08 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moobles View Post
Don't get too excited. These are depth moves. Higgins has been decent on the PK but since his breakdown in Montreal he's looking a lot more like Raffi Torres then someone you'd slot beside Kesler. However, the bare minimum we really need out of him is to continue being a decent depth option for the PK and a checking winger. If he is able to produce and become the pivot option for our second-line that Bernier never was when Raymond or Samuelsson go through these cold streaks, that'd be a huge bonus (but not something I'm anticipating).

Lapierre's going to be a bit of a project. If he tones down his yapping but keeps up his strong physical play he could be a real asset to our 4th line I think. Considering AV/Gillis' success with Kesler and Burrows I imagine they're hoping to do similar things with Lapierre (though obviously his ceiling would more be a long-term checking center). He's a great option for our fourth line at the moment though and was pretty cheap.
He can be slotted beside Kesler.

Trust me on that. I've watched Higgins for years. Guy isn't done. Just needed to get his head tied on straight.

Old
02-28-2011, 05:12 PM
Canucker

I think this will be a good opportunity for Higgins to prove that he still has value in the league with his upcoming UFA status. Reminds me of a Martin Gelinas type player, not sure if the work ethic is on par but they seem like versatile guys who can play up and down in a lineup and fill several roles and put up some points when needed.

Canucker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 05:13 PM
David71

lets see if higgins can revive his career here for vancouver in 19 games and into the playoffs.

David71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 05:14 PM
B-rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post

Trust me on that. I've watched Higgins for years. Guy isn't done. Just needed to get his head tied on straight.
What happened to Higgins to screw him up? I watched him in MTL and he was exceptional. Always a player I wanted the Nucks to acquire, but then he went off the rails and hasn't been the same player since...but I never heard anything significant that was responsible for his game falling off?

B-rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 05:20 PM
kanuck87

Quote:

I'd be happy if he was just a solid bottom-6 player, a role which he should be more than capable of filling.

kanuck87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 05:21 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-rock View Post
What happened to Higgins to screw him up? I watched him in MTL and he was exceptional. Always a player I wanted the Nucks to acquire, but then he went off the rails and hasn't been the same player since...but I never heard anything significant that was responsible for his game falling off?
This is pure speculation and I'll never be able to find the article, etc. But apparently he was into some crap off the ice. Nothing that made him a bad teammate, but I'm pretty sure there were articles posted about some type of drugs. I'm sure if you dug up the thread, you could find them. Although I'm not sure anything was every confirmed.

But I do know, for certain, that his off ice antics were not "well liked" in his later years. He never really had a horrible year with Montreal. His last year, he was struggling a bit, but he did have some injury problems.

He's turned himself around and over 82-games, is on pace for his second best season to date this year in Florida. He's a solid, solid player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanuck87 View Post
I'd be happy if he was just a solid bottom-6 player, a role which he should be more than capable of filling.
And I think that's why he was acquired.

A fourth line of;

Higgins - Hodgeson - Lapierre

would be REALLY, REALLY good.

Although I think Lapierre would work awesome with Mally & Torry, on the wing. With Hansen dropping down with Higgins and Hodge.

Gives you basically 2 3rd lines, a defensive/grinding line that will piss you off and an offensive type line that is good defensively.

Last edited by One Man Rock Band: 02-28-2011 at 05:27 PM.
Old
02-28-2011, 05:25 PM
MS

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-rock View Post
Rumours in Montreal were that he started partying a lot and that's when his game fell off.

Has rebounded this year, though - will never be the 60-point, Selke-calibre forward he was rated to turn into when he had his 27-goal season in Montreal, but is a good, solid NHL forward. Gives us a lot more flexibility, can play anywhere from the 2nd to the 4th line and help on the PK.

Other great part of this deal is clearing up a contract slot by getting rid of the awful Oberg. That in itself is probably worth the #3 pick we gave up, given what Gillis and our scouts did with the open contract slots last summer (Lack, Tanev, Sweatt, Volpatti).

MS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 05:31 PM
Reverend Mayhem
Freeway's closed man

vCash: 940
Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:

Well, Lappy is apparently an AV favourite. He's not expected to change his style of play when he gets here, should be like Burrows circa 2007-08.

Higgins does remind a lot of like Pyatt did in his role when he was here as another poster alluded to, a very fast player who can PK very well and can also be an effective PP player when he chooses to. A proverbial swiss-army knife on the 4th line, and could definitely move up in the lineup if his play is good enough.

Loving these deals. Peanuts for Lapierre and Higgins.

Reverend Mayhem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 05:31 PM
kanuck87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moobles View Post
Don't get too excited. These are depth moves.
Which is exactly what we needed. We got two NHL-calibre players who play good games and aren't liabilities.

I'm excited.

Old
02-28-2011, 05:36 PM
thefeebster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momesso View Post
Anyone got a link to the presser?
Don't know if you still need it but theres a video up on TSN on the sidebar when you click into a Vancouver article...

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=355866

thefeebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 05:40 PM
bullocks

Higins isn't anything like he was 4 years ago. There's a reason the Canucks are his 5th team in a little over a year.

bullocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 05:40 PM
Horvat2Virtanen
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
I also like this move, Higgins is very versatile he can play in the top 6 or the bottom 6, and he also can play centre.

Horvat2Virtanen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 05:41 PM
kanuck87

Quote:
And I think that's why he was acquired.

A fourth line of;

Higgins - Hodgeson - Lapierre

would be REALLY, REALLY good.

Although I think Lapierre would work awesome with Mally & Torry, on the wing. With Hansen dropping down with Higgins and Hodge.

Gives you basically 2 3rd lines, a defensive/grinding line that will piss you off and an offensive type line that is good defensively.
Hansen isn't going to be demoted to the third line. He's arguably been the best player on that line. If anything, it'll be Torres going down to the 4th to make room for Higgins.