HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Building a Roster for 2011: Step #1. A center

Old
02-28-2011, 05:22 PM
TehDoak
General Zad

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to TehDoak
Building a Roster for 2011: Step #1. A center

For me, at least, the playoffs would be a bonus this year after the start. I'd like to make it, and once you get in, I think Buffalo could do some damage. In the end, I don't think anyone believes this is a cup contender. Playoffs sure. But, for me, the focus is on next year

What we have right now for next season:

Vanek-Roy-Stafford
Hecht-XXX-Pomniville
Ennis-Adam-Boyes
Gerbe-Gaustaud-Kaleta

Myers-Sekera
XXXXX-Leopold
Morrison-Butler/Weber

Miller
Enroth

RFAs, as of now, I am ballparking Stafford at 3.5 and Sekera at 2.0. Weber, Butler, and Gerbe at around 750k

So, assuming a cap of around 60 million, i have us at around 48 million. Our strength is depth on the wings. Weakness is still top end talent, center depth, and a true partner to play with Myers.

However, with around 10-12 million to play with and an enthusiastic new owner, I think that can be addressed.

In order to address the center issue, you are looking via trade. None exsist on the UFA market.

So, the availability of players is going to be almost exclusively based on salary cap struggles and a few other factors (age, performance, etc)

So, realistically, based on this:

http://capgeek.com/charts_index.php?...ary_cap_thou=0

Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, and Chicago are your likely targets.

A few thoughts on possible players:

Briere - getting older, 4 years, 19 million left on his contract and a 6.5 cap hit. Has a NMC, but I don't think it'd be a problem to get him to wave it.
Malkin - 4 years, 8.7 million year. Coming off major knee surgery. Also, many of the front office has ties to Pittsburgh, so we are dealing with some insider knowledge.
Staal - Again, the pittsburgh connection. Less likely to be moved simply because his salary is considerably less.
Bolland, Chicago. - Don't see the fit here. A bit overpayed for his production, but brings alot to the table.

Of the three, Malkin represents the biggest risk as well as, IMHO, the most likely. A deal would probably be something of this ilk:

To Pittsburgh: Stafford, Hecht (more to make the salary work than anything else), Adam, 1st rounder 2011, 1st rounder 2012.
To Buffalo: Malkin

To be fair, one of the 1st's could be swapped out for Kassian or Ennis if they wanted. Really depends on what Pittsburgh would want.

That trade would deplete depth on the wings, but give you a 1-2 punch of Malkin-Roy. Buffalo ends up taking on around 5 million in cap hit (stafford would be an RFA still)

Briere would cost significantly less. However, I think you are realistically looking at some health issues with him which will worsen towards the end of the contract.

Bolland...I don't see Chicago moving. They have a few options to free up some space, namely on D.

Overall, I think you are looking at Malkin or Briere the summer. Statsny, Weiss, and maybe some other centers are possible, however, when you consider cap situation, Malkin coming off a major knee injury, and our front offices Pittsburgh connection, I really think Malkin could be a possibility.

TehDoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 05:30 PM
OcAirlines

Connolly.

I'm sorry, but someone had to.

OcAirlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 05:32 PM
TehDoak
General Zad

Quote:
Originally Posted by OcAirlines View Post
Connolly.

I'm sorry, but someone had to.
Pegula is a fan. Ask any fan if you are giving Connolly another contract.

No ****ing way.

Old
02-28-2011, 05:33 PM
Selanne00008

IF I could I would take stastny over all of those listed, but its surely not realistic.

Why would Briere wave to come back here when he is on a top 2 team in the East that is lookin great for the next couple of years?

The whole reason for a NMC is so you have a say in where you get traded, and you can stay put and lkeep your family (with kids) in one spot.

Selanne00008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 05:39 PM
TehDoak
General Zad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selanne00008 View Post
IF I could I would take stastny over all of those listed, but its surely not realistic.

Why would Briere wave to come back here when he is on a top 2 team in the East that is lookin great for the next couple of years?

The whole reason for a NMC is so you have a say in where you get traded, and you can stay put and lkeep your family (with kids) in one spot.
Because, I think he has friends here, his family was happy here, and the person who was most against him (Quinn) is now gone. Even with a NMC they can still put him on waivers for a buyout (or at least threaten it)

Old
02-28-2011, 05:56 PM
Selanne00008

Quote:
Originally Posted by TehDoak View Post
Because, I think he has friends here, his family was happy here, and the person who was most against him (Quinn) is now gone. Even with a NMC they can still put him on waivers for a buyout (or at least threaten it)
Why would philly do that? He is producing well for them. THat would be a bad PR move by management. It would never happen.

Old
02-28-2011, 05:59 PM
jlr
\m/o.o\m/

Brad Richards?

jlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 06:02 PM
ImpressedDAHagent
Go sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlr View Post
Brad Richards?
i'd rather find two capable centers then pay richards that big 7 plus million.

ImpressedDAHagent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 06:07 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selanne00008 View Post

Nevermind whether or not Briere would waive his clause - the more pressing first question is why would the Flyers even want to trade Briere after the way he's played since last spring?

Last edited by Sabretip: 02-28-2011 at 06:46 PM.
Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 06:16 PM
Selanne00008

Exactlt what i mentioned in my next post. He's producing, its not like he isnt living up to the contract at all

Old
02-28-2011, 06:28 PM
billsandsabres
nhl 94 aficianado

paul stastny is my dream scenario. admittedly i'm not sure how likely that is.

billsandsabres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 06:46 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by TehDoak View Post
A few thoughts on possible players:

Briere - getting older, 4 years, 19 million left on his contract and a 6.5 cap hit. Has a NMC, but I don't think it'd be a problem to get him to wave it.
Malkin - 4 years, 8.7 million year. Coming off major knee surgery. Also, many of the front office has ties to Pittsburgh, so we are dealing with some insider knowledge.
Staal - Again, the pittsburgh connection. Less likely to be moved simply because his salary is considerably less.
Bolland, Chicago. - Don't see the fit here. A bit overpayed for his production, but brings alot to the table.
I completely agree with the consensus view that adding a legitimate # 1 center is the team's greatest need and has to be the main focus of the offseason.

That said, I think your "shopping list" is pure fantasy. The odds of Briere or Malkin being traded in the foreseeable future borders on slim to none. It's debatable whether Staal is truly-#1 material - and Bolland is definitely not a # 1 center.

To me, the targets remain Richards, Stastny, Pavelski and Brassard.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 06:53 PM
Pengo

For me, there are two ideal changes that I would make to that roster. An either-or is probably the best we can hope for, but I'll list both anyway.

1. Roy is the #2 center rather than the #1 (#1 center could be Richards, Stastny, etc.)

2. Sekera would be on the 2nd pairing rather than the 1st (other first-pairing D-man could be Ehrhoff, Pitkanen, Liles, etc.)

Pengo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 08:21 PM
brian_griffin
Measured Intangibles

I think it would be foolish for BUF to trade for Malkin (especially the proposed players / picks package) until it is known whether or not he can even skate well enough to be a fraction of his former self.

The paradox is, the same could be said about plans for Roy's return. BUF could be in a position where any trading partner has extreme leverage against them.

In that regard, one might view the Boyes acquisition as an even smarter move - acquiring a guy who can play center next year, but if not, making the wings even stronger to make up for the poor quality and depth down the middle.

brian_griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 08:57 PM
Ron Barr
Doing it to Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpressedDAHagent View Post
i'd rather find two capable centers then pay richards that big 7 plus million.
I think if we could make a Hossa-type deal, we might be able to lure Richards in if he hits free agency.

Something like this:

2011/12 - $8,000,000
2012/13 - $8,200,000
2013/14 - $8,200,000
2014/15 - $7,400,000
2015/16 - $7,400,000
2016/17 - $6,400,000
2017/18 - $5,400,000
2018/19 - $4,000,000

8 years, $55,000,000

$6,875,000 cap hit

It's debatable whether or not he'd want to take a discount salary for the last few years, but he'd be about 35-37 years old by the time he makes the 5.4 or 4 mil, so it wouldn't be too far-fetched. Hossa's only gonna be making 4 mil when he's 38 years old, then 1 mil a year for the rest of his career.

Ron Barr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 09:10 PM
joshjull

We need to add a top 6 center and possibly a 2/3 center as well.

Too many get hung up on the label of #1 center.

joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 09:21 PM
Havok89

So if Pegula wants a contending team in 3 years, I dont think Regeir trades for that #1 center. We would lose assets and prospects that would be needed to contend 3 years from now. Maybe they trade up on the draft and attemp to develop that #1 prospect, or attempt to sign one through FA in one of the next 3 years, what do you guys think?

Havok89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 11:06 PM
Ron Barr
Doing it to Death

I would love to see the Sabres send a Stafford/Gerbe/Butler/pick package to Columbus for Brassard. The only problem is that all of the players I mentioned are RFAs. I highyl doubt Columbus would want to deal with that. Either way, a line-up next year like this would be great:

Vanek - Roy - Pominville
Ennis - Brassard - Boyes
Hecht - Connolly - Kassian
McCormick - Gaustad - Kaleta

Old
02-28-2011, 11:07 PM
SabresFanNorthPortFL

There are other options not mentioned....

If the Stars resign Richards, an extreme possibility, they might move Riberio.

If you are the Kings, depending on how this season pans out, they might be willing to move Stoll, as they have a legit #1, and the top prospect in the league...Schenn, and most of all they would go after a player like Richards, Spezza, etc.

If the Rangers pony up for Richards, they'll be in a little trouble signing their young guns....possibly a shot at RFA Dubinsky.

Could take a shot at Malone in Tampa.

Weiss has been mentioned all over in trade talks.

The bruins have a bunch of centers, as well as Philly.

I'm sure the Canadians would love to move Gomez, and if we could say trade a bad contract back, how bad would he be as our #2 behind Roy?

Yeah, if the Sharks do their typical playoff exit, our owner has said he wants to win, yes....crazy but he could make a play for say Thornton???? Yes, totally crazy but they have tanked every year so maybe they listen.

Ottawa might move Spezza.

Valarie Fitiapldi has always interested me in some way....

Columbus has serious center depth.

I have said over and over that Malkin might be had. I don't think that's as far fetched as one thinks.

Brooks Laich is a UFA. 6'2" 210 lbs. and 27. Cracked 50 points the last 2 seasons.

I'm sure Stansy has had his feelings hurt and the right "wow" deal could land him. He's 25 and just about a ppg player. You could put franchise tag on him.

How about Martin Hanzal in Phoenix? 6'5" 220 and 24. We;d have to pry him away but that type of size would be nice, especially as he hits his prime. Mid 30's point totals in his first 3 seasons, he could be right in line for a break-out. Look how nice the Briere from Phoenix turned out.

I just think there are many options for us going into the summer....so exciting.

And if none of these things work out, we can always sign Connolly again....ouch, that hurt even writing it.

SabresFanNorthPortFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 11:11 PM
Ron Barr
Doing it to Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanNorthPortFL View Post
Valarie Fitiapldi has always interested me in some way....
Who the **** is that?

Old
02-28-2011, 11:18 PM
thefifagod
I'm The Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Barr View Post
Who the **** is that?

I guess he would have to be saying Valtteri Filppula? Although ideally he's a third line player on a team rolling with three scoring lines with the ability to bump into the top six, so he doesn't even apply to solving out top 6 center problem (He generally doesn't even always play center)

thefifagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 11:31 PM
Krnage

Gomez

Krnage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 11:50 PM
SoFFacet

I'm pretty skeptical that the center problem can be solved by next year. They just took on 4M+ more on the wing with Boyes. Stafford, Montador, Sekera, Butler, Weber, Gerbe, and Cody will need new contracts, some of them with significant raises. Connolly, Grier, and Nieds come off the books, but I don't see how theres enough cap space to land a #1 Center.

Likely all that will happen is Connolly will leave, Roy will return, and Adam/Byron will try to make the team. If the rookies turn out to have game we will have 4 centers. If not, possibly Hecht will continue to be pressed into center duty.

Edit

After looking more closely at the cap site, I take it back, certain center acquisitions may be possible. We're currently on the hook for 41.5, I guesstimated at new contracts for Stafford, Gerbe, Cody, Sekera, Weber, Monty, and took Adam/Byron's contracts into account, and we still had ~5M leftover. Dare to dream I guess.

Last edited by SoFFacet: 03-01-2011 at 12:00 AM.
SoFFacet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 12:41 AM
Luceni

I'd try to trade for Malkin.
His value is low at the moment I guess.

Pomineville, Ennis and Pysyk might be a decent package which could land us malkin. Pens need wingers for crosby and staal. Ennis is a high price but just for malkin or richards I'd trade him.

Then you just have to resign stafford and the other ufas then we've got:

Vanek - Malkin - Stafford
Hecht - Roy - Boyes
McCormick - Adam - Kassian
Gerbe - Gaustad - Kaleta
Byron

Sekera - Myers
Leopold - Weber
McNabb - Monty

Miller
Enroth

Luceni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 01:01 AM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

Send a message via AIM to JOHNBOY
Jarret Stoll, Brayden Schenn, or Jeff Carter.. One of the three would tickle my fancy and at the same time very realistic. Make it happen Regier/Mr. Pegula!!!!

Pipe Dream Proposals:

To Philadelphia

Tyler Ennis
Conditional Draft Pick 2012 (1st or 2nd)

To L.A.

(Schenn)

Tyler Ennis
1st Round Pick 2012

(Stoll)

Luke Adam
2nd Round Pick 2012

JOHNBOY is offline   Reply With Quote